HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 7:47 PM

Took a couple of shots this week of the Apple campus cranes. 4 are currently up, who knows how many more to go.

Sorry for the quality, it's all cellphone-from-a-car action.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 7:52 PM

That second photo is one of the best pictures I've seen in a long time. If it wasn't for the power line, man... the framing of the cranes and how they're all angled the exact same direction... chef's kiss

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
That second photo is one of the best pictures I've seen in a long time. If it wasn't for the power line, man... the framing of the cranes and how they're all angled the exact same direction... chef's kiss
Thanks! Been trying to get that shot for a couple of days and the traffic lights didn't always time correctly. But today was the day!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
I just came back from a weekend trip without any technology and it's good to see this round up!

May I suggest you link to the previous round up so we can see like a comparison to how it looked the week before

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:40 PM

Really wish someone would take a high quality photo from the far west boulevard bridge over Mopac. THAT is an impressive view of downtown with all its craneage 😃🙌

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidberko View Post
Really wish someone would take a high quality photo from the far west boulevard bridge over Mopac. THAT is an impressive view of downtown with all its craneage 😃🙌
I’m up here now. I’ll try with my IPhone. 🥴

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I’m up here now. I’ll try with my IPhone. 🥴
Bless your heart!
I have an XR and am in no way good at taking a photo with it 😬

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 9:12 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidberko View Post
This is already quite dated (by Austin standards), but I did capture a few shots back in February

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 12:00 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Took a couple of shots this week of the Apple campus cranes. 4 are currently up, who knows how many more to go.

Sorry for the quality, it's all cellphone-from-a-car action.

I saw those a couple of weeks ago. I basically took the same cell phone photos, but never got around to posting them, so I'm glad someone else did.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
This is already quite dated (by Austin standards), but I did capture a few shots back in February

Nice! Thank you ðŸ™
Yeah it’s amazing what a difference a few months makes. I used to drive downtown on the daily before covid. Just went back within the last week and my goodness has it changed a lot 🤯

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 5:15 PM
クラブトクヨ

Can we create a thread for the Tesla project? If I am not mistaken I noticed ground clearing on the way from airport off 130.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 11:14 PM

I've seen quite a few updates on twitter. Here's one today:

https://twitter.com/AustinTeslaClub

https://twitter.com/AustinTeslaClub/...00789258170368

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 4:14 AM

Quote:
My first thought when I saw this cool pic was scenes from War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise...........

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 9:14 PM

Looks like Whole Foods will add another tower near it's current HQ's.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Looks like Whole Foods will add another tower near it's current HQ's.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline
I think tower is a strong word. I think that location is under a CVC. I think at most it can be just a few stories there. I could be wrong though...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 12:32 PM

If I had to guess I would predict that it will be about as tall as that oddball staircase leading to the pedestrian walkway over Bowie that's there now. That always seemed like a placeholder to connect the current HQ with a future annex.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myomi View Post
I think tower is a strong word. I think that location is under a CVC. I think at most it can be just a few stories there. I could be wrong though...
It is in a CVC. The building will be five stories tall.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 4:30 PM

Here's the ABJ article in full. It addresses height as well as how Shoal Creek Walk will finally connect:

Quote:
Filings indicate Whole Foods is growing in downtown Austin — and could even add another office building soon
On drawing board for years, new building could rise just east of grocery chain's HQ

By Erin Edgemon – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
Jul 30, 2020, 3:20pm CDT Updated Jul 30, 2020, 3:54pm CDT
Whole Foods Market Inc. may finally be moving forward with the expansion of its headquarters in downtown Austin.

The upscale grocery chain has longstanding plans to build a second building at 835 W. Sixth St., just south of where Schlosser Development Co. built the 15-story Shoal Creek Walk office tower. These plans originated years before Seattle-based technology behemoth Amazon Inc. acquired Whole Foods in 2017.

Construction on a five-story, 143,800-square-foot Whole Foods building could start as early as Aug. 31, according to a July 13 filing with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. But that date may be moot as Whole Foods hasn’t yet submitted building plans to the city of Austin for approval, which would be required to get a building permit to start construction.

A parking garage is also planned to the east of Shoal Creek Walk.

Austin Business Journal first reported on a potential second Whole Foods office building, of up to 185,000 square feet, in August 2017.

Gensler designed the new building, according to the TDLR filing.

Whole Foods did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Rick Duggan, a principal at Schlosser Development, said Whole Foods holds a ground lease on the property. He declined to speak about the project.

Whole Foods opened its latest Austin store, in the Saltillo mixed-use development on the east side, in June.

In addition to the filing for the new building, the company also appears to be eating up more office space in the short term downtown. It has leased about 51,000 square feet at the old HomeAway building downtown at 1011 W. Fifth St.

Plans to renovate the office space that mention Whole Foods were approved by the city of Austin in July. It’s unclear if the interior remodel has started.

Sixth River Architects Inc. designed the interiors. Sabre Commercial is the general contractor.

Whole Foods has at least 25 openings for corporate jobs posted on its website, for things from software development engineers to pricing analyst.

Plans for Shoal Creek Walk were first approved by the city of Austin in 2013 and include the now completed 220,000-square-foot tower, and in a second phase the five-story office building and parking garage. Plans for the project have been updated several times over the years.

Semiconductor company Cirrus Logic leases most of Shoal Creek Walk — about 150,000 square feet, according to CoStar Group Inc.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 9:24 PM

Weekly Construction Update

https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comm...dup_july_2431/

Text copied over, with all photos missing

Quote:
90 Rainey - 606' - 52 Floors

Demo permit approved for the existing Container Bar and neighboring Bungalow. Don't worry, they'll be incorporated into the base of the new tower. I've seen some pretty cool designs for the implementation, but those pictures are probably impossible to dig up by now.

Block 185 - 594' - 35 Floors

Austin's next signature tower is really getting into the swing of things. This has passed the Northshore's base and will soon be easily visible from more parts of South Austin. No easily discernible floor counts, but the main tower might be on the 6th floor and the core is probably around the 8th.

44 East - 573' - 49 Floors

New photo from the developer, Intracorp. Building in foreground. Looks to be starting columns for the third floor.

Indeed Tower - 542' - 36 Floors

Up to the 34th floor now. Core is probably topped out, or at least close. Really becoming a dominant tower on the skyline and arguably the most impressive from some angles.

Hanover Republic Square - 514' - 44 Floors

Tower is on 4th floor, core is on the 7th (roughly.) This will be as tall as the Frost Tower and has been seemingly forgotten amidst other projects. What a city we live in.

Natiivo / Austin - 358' - 33 Floors

In the background of the 44 East photo. Starting to have a significant presence from I-35.

405 Colorado - 356' - 25 Floors

The molar/CRT/insult of the week has one more floor to go. The facade is flying up and it's better looking than I was expecting.

5th & Brazos - 355' - 31 Floors

This has reached the 31st floor of construction, and will be topped out within August. Significant progress has been made on the residential portion's glass facade.

Alexan Capitol - 350' - 29 Floors

This has (unofficially) topped out. Brick is starting to fly up the sides of this one, and it'll start really looking nice in a few weeks once the facade is further along.

Hyatt Centric Congress (The Avenue) - 346' - 31 Floors

Crane base installed! This is finally going to see some vertical progress after starting site demo all the way back in December.

Block 164 - 272' - 16 Floors

One of the more forgettable projects, this will soon be poking aboveground at the former Brackenridge Hospital site. Blurry photo from ABJ.

1911 San Antonio - ?' - 17 Floors

Renderings finally released, this is for the lot near St. Austin Parish church in West Campus

Dorsey - 170' - 15 Floors

The new tallest in East Austin. Glass starting to go in on the lower residential floors. Columns going up for the 11th floor.

Loren Hotel & Condos - 104' - 8 Floors

This is what ended up at the old Taco Cabana/Pollo Tropical South Lamar site. Pretty boring, but underground parking is nice. Work on the foundation is well underway.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 11:39 PM

I know this may be an unpopular opinion. However I think 90 Rainey signals the beginning of the end for Rainey street as we know it and what could have been. A full street with houses turned to bars and restaurants, surrounded by highrises always gave such an amazing vibe. But that will be permanently taken away once actual towers are built on Rainey. Millennium (now Camden) Rainey obviously was the first. But its location on the end muted some of its effect. However with 90 Rainey moving forward, and potentially the project at 62 East Ave, there will be major tears to the fabric of this district.

I know the area was always just temporary. However, I still feel it's unfortunate that we couldn't do more to more permanently capture the unique feel this area has.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin