HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:07 PM
Love Austin

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/o...ing-nimby.html

A terrific read. Recall that Alison Alter (District 10), Leslie Pool (District 7) and three other districts are up for election next year.

Perhaps the most important thing happening in Austin is the rewrite of our land development code. Some will call for no change and do their best to fight for status quo (see the Council vote 8-3 to give the city manager direction for the rewrite).

If Austin is ever going to become more transit friendly, sustainable, walkable, compact and connected, and get away from huge parking podiums--we'd better get this right.

I hope all of you will do more than just watch from the sidelines--participate! Show up! Challenge Nimbyism and call out how terrible it is for Austin, for our people and our planet.

We have such an amazing opportunity here. Let's make the most of it!

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/o...ing-nimby.html

A terrific read. Recall that Alison Alter (District 10), Leslie Pool (District 7) and three other districts are up for election next year.

Perhaps the most important thing happening in Austin is the rewrite of our land development code. Some will call for no change and do their best to fight for status quo (see the Council vote 8-3 to give the city manager direction for the rewrite).

If Austin is ever going to become more transit friendly, sustainable, walkable, compact and connected, and get away from huge parking podiums--we'd better get this right.

I hope all of you will do more than just watch from the sidelines--participate! Show up! Challenge Nimbyism and call out how terrible it is for Austin, for our people and our planet.

We have such an amazing opportunity here. Let's make the most of it!

HEAR HEAR.....couldn't have said it better myself. Well, I could have but there would have been a LOT of cussing.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 4:29 AM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
To elaborate on 427MM's point: the minimum clear width of a fire lane in the International Fire Code is 20 feet. Austin is virtually alone in the US among cities that have adopted the IFC to increase the width to 25 feet. The problem with 25 feet, is that when it is required on a two-lane neighborhood street, it results in two 12.5 foot wide lanes, which is a typical width of a freeway lane. Wide lanes encourage speeding by reducing visual friction of the driver. Encouraging drivers to go more than 25 mph on a minor neighborhood street is criminal. The likelihood of death or serious injury to a pedestrian or cyclist involved in an automobile crash goes up exponentially with every mph. As already noted above by supporters of AFD's position, fire departments respond to significantly more automobile crashes than fires. If we can reduce crashes, it reduces the need for AFD to respond to them, which means they have less need to speed down our streets in the first place.

The real reason that AFD demands 25 feet is so that they can pull a 2nd truck around a deployed ladder truck with outriggers in place. If we build our neighborhoods with interconnected street networks, lots of intersections, and small blocks, it not only improves walkability, it is proven to improve emergency response times because responders have multiple routes to a call. They don't need to pull around a deployed ladder truck if they can get to the same point from another direction.

https://www.cnu.org/our-projects/emergency-response
Missed this earlier. Yes. This!!

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 12:59 AM

This concerns multiple projects, so I'll post it here. ATX Real Estate News has updates about several projects based on a search of the Texas Department of Licensing and Registration online database. I haven't yet figured out how to effectively search that site without wasting even more of my available internet time on development stuff.

https://atxrealestatenews.com/2019/0...whos-counting/

It lists a June start date for The Travis. But that project doesn't even have their density bonus yet yet, so that won't happen.

It has a July start date for "Brackenridge Tower #1". OK, but I think the campus Demo is being considered as the start date.

The Avenue is scheduled for an August groundbreaking. Awesome, and technically site prep is already underway with the excavator digging for utilities work.

Quote:
Cost: $99.5 million
Address: 80 Red River St.
What: The Travis high-rise residential tower
Size: 952,809 square feet
Start: June 2019
Complete: December 2022
Owner: Genesis Real Estate Group, Dallas
Designer: GDA Architects, Dallas

Cost: $91 million
Address: 1313 Red River St.
What: 16-story office building with 5-floor underground parking
Size: 713,287 square feet
Start: July 2019
Complete: December 2021
Owner: 2033 Higher Education Development Foundation, Sandy Gottesman
Designer: Gensler

Cost: $58.4 million + $13.8 million
Address: 6101 Highland Campus Dr.
What: Renovation of former Dillard’s department store to 4-story office building and studio for KLRU public TV
Size: 210,000 square feet
Complete: July 2020
Owner: Austin Community College
Designer: Gensler and Studio Steinbomer

Cost: $59 million
Address: 721 Congress Ave.
What: Hyatt Centric Hotel Austin
Size: 187,000 square feet
Start: August 2019
Complete: February 2021
Owner: Hyatt Hotels Corp.
Designer: Nelsen Partners

Cost: $55 million
Address: 6400 E. Riverside Drive
What: 384-unit apartment complex
Size: 371,123 square feet
Complete: July 2021
Owner: Urban East
Designer: Davies Collaborative

Cost: $50 million
Address: 1914 Nueces St.
What: 18-story student housing project with parking
Size: 274,633 square feet
Start: September 2019
Complete: August 2021
Owner: Parallel Co.
Designer: Rhode: Partners

Cost: $35 million
Address: 2614 Rio Grande St.
What: 7-story mixed-use student housing, including residences for Acacia fraternity.
Size: 203,525 square feet
Start: September 2019
Owner: Capstone Collegiate Communities; Birmingham, Alabama
Designer: Rhode: Partners

Cost: $33 million
Address: 2223 Waterloo City Lane
What: Lakeshore Pearl apartments, phase 2
Size: 220,000 square feet
Owner: Cypress Real Estate Advisors
Designer: GFF

Cost: $30 million
Address: 7000 Janes Ranch Road
What: 3-story, 264-unit apartment complex
Size: 332,000 square feet
Complete: December 2020
Owner: Daniel Realty Co. LLC, Birmingham, Alabama
Designer: Group 4 Design, Inc., Jacksonville, Florida

Cost: $24.1 million
Address: 5629 N. Lamar Blvd.
What: 279-unit multifamily mixed-use
Size: 278,013 square feet
Owner: Trinsic Residential Group
Designer: GFF

Cost: $19 million
Address: 703 E. 9th St.
What: Microunit apartment complex
Size: 136,000 square feet
Start: August 2019
Complete: February 2021
Owner: Waller Creek Development LLC, an affiliate of Sackman Enterprises
Designer: Michael Hsu Office of Architecture

Cost: $11 million
Address: 7100 Metropolis Drive
What: CyrusOne data center expansion
Size: 71,720 square feet
Start: May 2019
Complete: December 2019
Owner: CyrusOne, Dallas
Designer: Corgan Associates, Dallas

Cost: $10 million
Address: 701 E. FM 1626
What: Medical office building
Size: 35,883 square feet
Complete: May 2020
Owner: Perard Development
Designer: John Mapes Architects

Cost: $10 million
Address: 6731 Legardo Lane
What: 5-story Aloft Hotel Garza Ranch
Size: 81,557 square feet
Start: October 2019
Complete: December 2020
Owner: Pathfinder Development
Designer: ERN Architects, Dallas

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 1:20 AM

Looks like the starting date for Phase II of Garza Ranch is tucked away in there. October 2019. Phase II is what I've marked out in this photo.

Last edited by Echostatic; May 26, 2019 at 1:20 AM. Reason: Screwed up link

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 6:21 PM

Do we really need a 2 story 100,000 square foot dog park metroplex?

One of the largest indoor dog parks is coming to Austin
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/on...9-8e1c8c49aa08

The website for Canine Commons: https://caninecommons.com/the-commons

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 6:46 PM

Any info as to its location?

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 9:16 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

People are crazy enough about their dogs for this to be a success. Smart idea by the business creator.

No location announced yet.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 10:05 PM
Meh

Actually, and I am crazy about my dogs, but I would never take mine to the dog park. It's the canine equivalent of taking your kids to the doctor's office waiting room for "fun". I've heard of horror stories of people's dogs being attacked by other dogs, them getting sick from parvo or other illnesses, plus even some horror stories of some sicko peppering the park with something harmful to them. I would never take them there. I used to walk my dogs in the neighborhood, but I just don't feel good about doing that anymore.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 10:22 PM

The $50/month fee to use the dog park costs more than my gym membership at 24 Hour Fitness... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Actually, and I am crazy about my dogs, but I would never take mine to the dog park. It's the canine equivalent of taking your kids to the doctor's office waiting room for "fun". I've heard of horror stories of people's dogs being attacked by other dogs, them getting sick from parvo or other illnesses, plus even some horror stories of some sicko peppering the park with something harmful to them. I would never take them there. I used to walk my dogs in the neighborhood, but I just don't feel good about doing that anymore.
You don't take your dog to any dog parks at all or are you planning to not take your dogs to this proposed project? Does he/she socialize with other dogs? How does your dog(s) get their exercise if you don't take them around the neighborhood?

Just wondering

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That's why its important to have your dogs up to date on their shots before taking them anywhere, even to the vets. For me personally, all I have to do is open the back door and release the hounds to my fenced in 1/2 acre. As far as the sickos' go, I imagine if one of my neighbors get sick of my dogs barking, which I try to control but dogs will be dogs, then they could throw something harmful into my yard if they wanted to. There's no cure for evil in this world. I used to toss slices of bread loaded with peanut butter to shut my neighbors dogs up for at least little while...toss, reload, repeat as necessary. I had a neighbor in Wells Branch who couldn't understand why his beagle was so fat.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 11:00 PM
Meh

Oh, yeah, our dogs have all their shots. We've used the same vet since 1980 I believe. Anyway, no, I don't take my dogs for walks anymore. We have poodles, so they aren't the biggest dog, and I worry about their safety. They get good exercise in our yard, though, and are quite fast. I used to take them for walks. I even took them to the beach, but I just don't feel good about that anymore. I've heard and seen too many horror stories and I couldn't handle that.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 1:09 PM
Love Austin

Last edited by 427MM; May 29, 2019 at 1:23 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
So the city wants to make homeless camping on public sidewalks and parks legal?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 2:29 PM

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...ift/2034804880
AUSTIN
Austin's oldest HEB store is set for major facelift

by:
KXAN Staff
Posted: May 28, 2019 / 06:37 PM CDT / Updated: May 28, 2019 / 10:00 PM CDT
AUSTIN (KXAN) — HEB announced plans Tuesday to completely rebuild its longest-standing grocery store in Austin— the South Congress and Oltorf location.

The store's upgrades won't be ready until 2022, and it will be a complete concept change.

There are plans to add an indoor/outdoor food hall with HEB's first-ever beer garden. The store is also looking to add 30,000 square feet to the facility, going from the current 69,000 square feet to more than 100,000 square feet after the remodel.

The store is trying to open a temporary grocery store at the nearby Twin Oaks Shopping Center during the remodel, according to a press release.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Ha, I didn't even know it was a thing since there's no enforcement/stopping of that in my area (Riverside).

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I think the point is probably to stop criminalizing a public health and poverty problem. And since it seems like largely unenforced policy at this point, they're really just removing that criminal aspect. One of the things that keeps homeless people homeless, and poorer people poor is a codified system of laws that prevents people from accessing services like housing and loans that might help them break out of poverty (things that are more readily available to people in good societal standing).

If it leads to city policy that encourages finding employment, shelter and agency for those folks I'm all for it (but that is obviously the much harder part).

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreditch View Post
I think the point is probably to stop criminalizing a public health and poverty problem. And since it seems like largely unenforced policy at this point, they're really just removing that criminal aspect. One of the things that keeps homeless people homeless, and poorer people poor is a codified system of laws that prevents people from accessing services like housing and loans that might help them break out of poverty (things that are more readily available to people in good societal standing).

If it leads to city policy that encourages finding employment, shelter and agency for those folks I'm all for it (but that is obviously the much harder part).
very good point, and I agree. But to roll this out with a PLAN in place to do ANYTHING, looks terrible.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreditch View Post

Thank you for having a civil and informed point of view on this.
As someone who helps raise funds for a non-profit in Austin that provides housing for the homeless..May I elaborate on one of your points:
One of the roadblocks to obtaining(rental) housing is a criminal record. If that record is a product of homelessness, it makes sense to take the obstacle away.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 5:36 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Speaking as someone who was recently homeless in Austin after being discharged from a hospital visit stemming from domestic abuse, I can attest to the fact that budgets are stretched thin and that the problem is real. It took them 6 months to get back to me offering me housing help, after which I had already been taken in by one of my sisters up in Chicago.

On a more positive note:yesterday was my first interview since I moved up to Chicago, today was the second round interview and immediately after I was offered a third and final round interview I should hear back today or tomorrow whether I got the position or not. It would be a major step up in my life and would give me financial security and stability for the foreseeable future with significant opportunity for growth and development within the company. I really, really hope I get this job.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin