HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 4:21 AM

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAR View Post
Well, I hate to contradict a mother, but physician reduction in the 1990s was conceived and executed through joint actions of the Provincial Ministries of Health. Not physician advocacy.

Not from my mom, but from the commission on the Future of Healthcare in Canada:

Where do you think the prevailing sentiment came from? A professional associations's priority is to protect the profession. The easiest way to do so is by making it more exclusive.

Last edited by Doug; Nov 30, 2016 at 4:31 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 8:58 PM

The mayor of St. Albert, Nolan Crouse, has officially thrown his hat in the ring to become the next leader of the Alberta Liberals. He seems pretty solid and centrist, exactly what I'm looking for. Anyone with more knowledge of him as mayor or otherwise like to chime in?

http://www.stalbertgazette.com/artic...eader-20170118

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 9:28 PM

There's still a Liberal party?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 11:03 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

So Kenney is the PC leader now... Thoughts?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
So Kenney is the PC leader now... Thoughts?
Doesn't mean much other than it was totally expected and is only Round 1 in his campaign to unite the right in Alberta. There's been talk the last little while about trying to get Rona into the picture and having her as the new combined leader. That would be the best but I have no idea if it's possible. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 2:02 PM
of Canada

I think that ego's are too big right now to unite the right. Which is fine with me. I'm still a happy lefty.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 7:44 PM
HVAC guru

So nobody has been talking about this lately..

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...-probably-work

I think this has a reasonable chance of success, The desire to oust the NDP is going to be stronger than the ideological differences between the two parties

The NDP had a reasonable chance of getting re-elected with a split right wing but if a united party can keep discontents from splitting the vote by moving to a new party (not that that party even exists) I think the NDP could be in trouble.

The election in two years will be a good one. Not sure the new party can do anything to help Calgary's current situation but they can sure cause some pain in the Capital region, especially if the Capital goes orange. Of course the rural population will be elated.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
The election in two years will be a good one. Not sure the new party can do anything to help Calgary's current situation but they can sure cause some pain in the Capital region, especially if the Capital goes orange. Of course the rural population will be elated.
They most likely can not help the Calgary situation, not that it's only exclusive to Calgary, but they can attempt to show some initiative to bring back what once was - like lower corp taxes.

Edmonton will remain orange and it can recede back into the shadows. Jk. I don't think they would ruin Edmonton, but I do think that when Iveson and Nenshi cry for money over some special project, the Conservatives would tell them to buzz off.
Are going insane.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 2:22 AM

With a united right, Calgary decides the next election. NDP can hold Edmonton and a scattering of rural seats, but most rural seats remain solidly blue. The way I see it right now, the only part of the Province in play is central and northeast Calgary.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 1:41 AM

I can't wait for the 2 largest cities in the province to be held hostage again by rural yokels.
Bonus points for putting old white Christian males back into their rightful positions of power.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
I can't wait for the 2 largest cities in the province to be held hostage again by rural yokels.
Bonus points for putting old white Christian males back into their rightful positions of power.
Yah, no. I don't think so. Urban has dominated rural for many years and will continue to do so.

And who gives a **** about the colour of their skin or religion.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 12:09 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

So the whole "Unite the Right" thing seems to be having some, ahem, difficulty. From what I can tell there are now 4-5 right-of-centre sub-factions fighting for power... All I can say is I hope we see more of it... And now that BC has turned orange-green that should add a further complication to the mix...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 3:51 AM

All these people dismissing the NDP's chances in 2019 are being very presumptive. I refuse to speculate on future election results. As is said, a week is a long time in politics and the election isn't for another two years.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 6:10 PM
HVAC guru

^ I agree to an extent, can the vitriolic hatred of the NDP be enough to compel conservatives to look past their differences, and wash the fringe elements out of the party to unite to defeat the NDP? I think there's a large contingent out there that are actually quite happy with how the NDP has handled the past few years, enough so that there is legitimate opposition to the UCP.

A lot of the hatred of th NDP is also rooted in mysogyny. Many hate Notley because she's a woman. It's ugly and I hope those voices are drowned out

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 6:57 PM

Agree with everything above.

No one new hates the NDP. Same old same old. None of those whiners and complainers were ever going to vote for an NDP candidate anyway.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAR View Post
With a united right, Calgary decides the next election. NDP can hold Edmonton and a scattering of rural seats, but most rural seats remain solidly blue. The way I see it right now, the only part of the Province in play is central and northeast Calgary.
Calgary traditionally always decides provincial elections.

Being in Calgary for the past 16 years, I have become unaware of the political forces in Edmonton.

I expect Calgary will be the battle ground but for not so obvious reasons.

I expect the following to occur for the next provincial election:
- Brian Pincott (current W11 councillor for Calgary) will run in Calgary-Mountainview as the NDP candidate, a long time Liberal seat.
- Ward 11 is mainly represented by Calgary-Buffalo, however with Kathleen Ganley holding a cabinet position she is unlikely to be unseated.
- Currently Calgary-Elbow is held by Greg Clark. I expect Kent Hehr to return to provincial politics and run in Calgary-Elbow as the NDP candidate. Hehr can't run in Buffalo because that's Ganley's position.
- Andre Chabot will most likely lose the mayoral race to Nenshi. Chabot would be a good UCP challenger to Robyn Luff in Calgary-East. In 2015 Calgary-East was an NDP win due to vote splitting.
- I suspect that 1 or more Calgary Councillor's will also move into the Provincial space for 2019 election.

So what do things look like in Edmonton? Any federal or municipal politicians that could move to the provincial scene.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 2:07 AM

Why do you expect Kent Herh to return to provincial politics?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 1:52 PM

^ I won't go into specifics on reasons for Hehr's move back to provincial politics because the reasons are too personal. However, I will say that while I'm not a political operative I am very active in the airport scene, especially YYC and YEG airports.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 3:31 PM

[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 29, 2017 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 6:06 PM

Watching the roll out of the UCP critics, I am thinking a new Centre right party has a shot. I noticed the Alberta Party is talking centre politics. As a Clark (Laugheed)Conservative I do not see any thing I like about the UPC, they could change my opinion as they get their act together but right now I see far right.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia