HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
"CBC News Posted: Jan 12, 2016 6:02 PM CT| Last Updated: Jan 12, 2016 6:02 PM CT
Construction of Regina's nearly $2 billion bypass is happening 24 hours per day, seven days a week."

So a road construction project that doesn't have any implications for current traffic or detours is going 24/7 meanwhile most other city road construction projects that result in major disruptions, delays and detours operate from 10am to 3pm four days a week.

(ps - I know this isn't completely accurate but I can't resist taking a dig at the city)
Same reason that some of the work on Victoria east this past fall was done in the evening and on weekends, and why the contractor had to coordinate the work so that at least two lanes were maintained in both directions, virtually all the time: it impacts the time it takes for trucks to get to the Vancouver and Prince Rupert ports. That's the answer to pretty much any highway related news that's come out in western Canada, North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota, in the last several years, and the next several years. (even when Sask government calls it a "safety study" after they passed legislation last summer to "relieve" small communities of any responsibility for the highways that pass through their town (including 70 and 80 kph speed limits.....not saying that's a bad thing, just pointing out that the safety study is, imo, "What do we have to do (ie add cement barriers, etc.) in order to make it safe for the traffic to be able to pass through at 100 or 110)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsmebqt View Post
Same reason that some of the work on Victoria east this past fall was done in the evening and on weekends, and why the contractor had to coordinate the work so that at least two lanes were maintained in both directions, virtually all the time: it impacts the time it takes for trucks to get to the Vancouver and Prince Rupert ports. That's the answer to pretty much any highway related news that's come out in western Canada, North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota, in the last several years, and the next several years. (even when Sask government calls it a "safety study" after they passed legislation last summer to "relieve" small communities of any responsibility for the highways that pass through their town (including 70 and 80 kph speed limits.....not saying that's a bad thing, just pointing out that the safety study is, imo, "What do we have to do (ie add cement barriers, etc.) in order to make it safe for the traffic to be able to pass through at 100 or 110)
Construction will slow down a truck by 10 minutes at most in Regina, typically. I don't think there is this mass conspiracy you keep bringing up.

City Manager: "Should we close the road to finish work more quickly?"

Mayor, steeped in a shadowy cloak: "No. We must ensure that all transport vehicles arrive in Vancouver in a timely fashion, with not even a 5-minute delay. Begone!"

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 1:09 PM

Quote:
"CBC News Posted: Jan 12, 2016 6:02 PM CT| Last Updated: Jan 12, 2016 6:02 PM CT
Construction of Regina's nearly $2 billion bypass is happening 24 hours per day, seven days a week."

So a road construction project that doesn't have any implications for current traffic or detours is going 24/7 meanwhile most other city road construction projects that result in major disruptions, delays and detours operate from 10am to 3pm four days a week.

(ps - I know this isn't completely accurate but I can't resist taking a dig at the city)
You are lucky you put the little disclaimer in at the end there. FYI it isn't uncommon for city paving crews to put in 70+ hour work weeks.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golks View Post
You are lucky you put the little disclaimer in at the end there. FYI it isn't uncommon for city paving crews to put in 70+ hour work weeks.
You just identified the big difference. City workers get their regular overtime allotment at enormous cost to the tax payer. The P3 crew has shifts. I am sure they are paying some OT as well but it costs the taxpayer nothing extra.

I often get the impression that the inmates are running the asylum at the City. The other day I saw a snow removal crew working a Sunday when there had been no snow. I may have no clue, but it seems like they just felt like they were short on their OT earnings this year and managers just go along with it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
You just identified the big difference. City workers get their regular overtime allotment at enormous cost to the tax payer. The P3 crew has shifts. I am sure they are paying some OT as well but it costs the taxpayer nothing extra.

I often get the impression that the inmates are running the asylum at the City. The other day I saw a snow removal crew working a Sunday when there had been no snow. I may have no clue, but it seems like they just felt like they were short on their OT earnings this year and managers just go along with it.
What makes you think the crews on Sunday were making OT?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:

City workers have shifts as well. And if you think that managers at the city can just approve OT willy-nilly then you have another thing coming. They are bound by their department budget and their directors would put the hammer down.

Additionally, are you 100% they are city crews. A lot of the snow removal is contract work.

Quote:
Exactly.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 3:30 PM

Unneccesary overtime for City employees doesn't start until much closer to fiscal year end once the managers know how close they are to their budgets. They don't want to break the bank too early. If they are going to be below budget though watch out because the OT tap will be running full bore whether there is work or not. I've had buddies that worked for the city that were told to park their truck somewhere that it wouldn't be noticed for the day and come back at 5.

One of the worst things about budgets in the City is you aren't rewarded/asked why a budget wasn't met. If you didn't need it this year then you obviously don't need it next year so we'll take it away. The system creates zero incentive for savings. If it was set up properly where discussions were held and you could determine that it wasn't snowy this year so you were able to save X million on snow removal then you'd get a pat on the back. The next year we had 4 major snow events so the budget was blown, no problem here's some extra cash from this other group, etc etc.

That would require planning and communication though, no truly large business has time for that sort of nonsense.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 3:42 PM
arf

^Yep. It is wastage at its finest. It does nothing to foster good management.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 3:51 PM

Quote:

Hey that's why I said "I may have no clue" and that it was my "impression..." Obviously I do not have the inside knowledge that you and BD have about how City Hall is actually run. Sure my comments are based on perceptions and gossip that I hear from folks like scotty c. This is a discussion board and I believe impressions and perceptions are welcome as long as they are not presented as fact.

And yes they were City workers in City vehicles.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 4:07 PM

Similar biz in other levels of government also! My friend at a (former) provincial department and my wife at a (former) federal department said their managers often felt obligated to use up the budget that they determined at the start of the fiscal year, for fear of needing to justify an equal amount for the next year's budget for their typical daily operations!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 5:37 PM

As an accountant there is an acronym that you learn very early on and it sticks with you. It's relied on by far to many people doing audits, budgets and analysis.

SALY

Same As Last Year.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 7:05 PM

THis may be the wrong thread if it does not connect to the W Bypass but...

It appears that the City is spending some $$ on consultants to design the Sask Drive extension. This from CMD:

Overpass, Roadwork: Saskatchewan Drive Extension
Project Overview

Last Updated:2016-01-15Phase Planning PhaseStage:Schematic Design, Design DevelopmentStatus:AECOM was added as Civil EngineerEstimated Value:$8,000,000Project Location

State:SaskatchewanCounty Division No 6Address:From Lewvan Dr to Pinkie Rd or Courtney St

edit - More info:

With current and expected growth, it has been identified in the Transportation Master Plan that Saskatchewan Drive will have to be extended from Lewvan Drive to Pinkie Road and/or Courtney Street. The proposed extension will include the construction of a flyover at Lewvan Drive. The City is therefore seeking the services of a Transportation Engineering firm to perform a functional study of this section of Saskatchewan Drive. The extension of Saskatchewan Drive is focused on providing accessibility and connectivity to the southwest areas as well as bridging gaps in the City’s road network.

The main objective of the functional study is to identify the footprint of the proposed flyover and access points to/from existing neighbourhoods to the proposed flyover and the extension. Also, required for this study is the lane and right of way requirements. The purpose of the Request for Proposals is to outline; the scope of work, consultant selection process, and proposal requirements for the functional design of the Saskatchewan Drive extension.

Last edited by Stormer; Jan 18, 2016 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 7:40 PM
arf

^Interesting. Looking at the maps, that's got a lot of issues to sort out, including lack of space between the rail line and the airport lands.

Should be interesting to see what comes out of those designs.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 7:49 PM

^^ That's the first I've heard about this. I assume the flyover means an overpass above Lewvan Drive? In any case, as mentioned above, design will certainly be complicated by the close proximity of the CPR tracks.

Edit: Upon looking at a map, I don't see how this could be done without considerable expense. In addition to design considerations at Lewvan, you'd have to take over South Railway St west of Lewvan, and buy the adjacent properties. Plus there is no interchange identified on the proposed Regina west bypass route that would connect to Saskatchewan Drive.

Last edited by wacko; Jan 18, 2016 at 8:27 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 8:59 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
^^ That's the first I've heard about this. I assume the flyover means an overpass above Lewvan Drive? In any case, as mentioned above, design will certainly be complicated by the close proximity of the CPR tracks.

Edit: Upon looking at a map, I don't see how this could be done without considerable expense. In addition to design considerations at Lewvan, you'd have to take over South Railway St west of Lewvan, and buy the adjacent properties. Plus there is no interchange identified on the proposed Regina west bypass route that would connect to Saskatchewan Drive.
Yup, I'd guess that it takes over S Railway west of Lewvan and then either merges with 13th before/at Cambell or goes perpendicular and meets Sandra SchmirlerWay and makes a full intersection there (with the possibility of westward traffic to merge with 13th rather than go to the intersection). That would also require a bridge over the Creek/pathway.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 9:18 PM

If you Google Regina Transportation Master Plan you will find a map about half you through the document that show the route. It seems to be set up to serve Westerra rather than connect to the bypass.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 9:45 PM
arf

I wouldn't expect it to connect to the bypass, but it will serve to pull traffic Westward out of the core instead of down the Lewvan. Courtney is going to be an important road in the future.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 10:22 PM

I take the term "flyover" to mean it won't be an interchange of any type. Same old controlled intersection for getting on/off lewvan and Sask Drive but if you are continuing out west then the "flyover" would serve that purpose. I sure hope they maintain allowances that recognize that this will need to be an interchange (systems) at some point in the future. Mind you this is the city and 10 years from now is just so far out there that everyone will be getting about on hover boards and particle beams so no need to worry about it.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I take the term "flyover" to mean it won't be an interchange of any type. Same old controlled intersection for getting on/off lewvan and Sask Drive but if you are continuing out west then the "flyover" would serve that purpose. I sure hope they maintain allowances that recognize that this will need to be an interchange (systems) at some point in the future. Mind you this is the city and 10 years from now is just so far out there that everyone will be getting about on hover boards and particle beams so no need to worry about it.
Autonomous cars will make $100 million interchanges less necessary.

According to this a flyover there alone will be $50 million. I am not quite sure how it would be designed but it would likely be close to the tracks to take advantage of the grade separation, although unlike rail tracks it need not be flat/level.

Last edited by Stormer; Jan 18, 2016 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Autonomous cars will make $100 million interchanges less necessary.

According to this a flyover there alone will be $50 million. I am not quite sure how it would be designed but it would likely be close to the tracks to take advantage of the grade separation, although unlike rail tracks it need not be flat/level.
It says flyover $50M but that has to be more than just a flyover if the Pasqua St x Ring Road interchange is estimated at $40M?

lol the autonomous cars - I was thinking of those too. That would have to be a seperate network that only allowed autosyncronized perfectly maintained cars - one heap or one car with a senior contoling the car (and left turn signal) and the whole system would implode.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan