HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boquillas View Post
The problem with the west bank of the river there where the ES sits is there is a massive 15 foot-high retaining wall that stretches from Houston to Travis. Eliminating that wall might likely have been expensive from an engineering standpoint.
That could be part of the problem... that plus they had to maximize the underground parking (which sits right behind that wall.) I feel like they could've done a better job "meeting" the river though, kind of like the way Acenar or a few other balcony-by-the-river type restaurants are. Right now, it feels so seperated, like Mexican Manhattan is on that same side of the river.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 9:00 PM
San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
I remember when SA had the taller skyline. Now it unfortunately needs a vertically stretched photo to keep up with Austin..

u can see in that picture, austin skyline its taller.

Last edited by arturo_pro; Jan 7, 2011 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
I remember when SA had the taller skyline. Now it unfortunately needs a vertically stretched photo to keep up with Austin.
Not only does it make us look taller, but it also makes us appear slimmer; at least thats what we were told.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
That could be part of the problem... that plus they had to maximize the underground parking (which sits right behind that wall.) I feel like they could've done a better job "meeting" the river though, kind of like the way Acenar or a few other balcony-by-the-river type restaurants are. Right now, it feels so seperated, like Mexican Manhattan is on that same side of the river.
Agreed. The irony is the river side is the best side of the building. The Houston side is ho-hum, the Soledad side north of the entrance is worse, and the Travis side is just plain awful. Metal garage doors facing the Milam Building, like Travis is some kind of alley. There is no real street-level engagement with this building except on Houston. At least it's not as long as the Westin, but it's still a street-wall killer.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 2:25 AM
Liberator.

Location: San Antonio,(born) Arlington Heights, Ill.(Chicagoland)
Talking

Quote:
I remember when SA had the taller skyline. Now it unfortunately needs a vertically stretched photo to keep up with Austin. Nice contrast though, Arturo.
Unfortunately, JackinNYC not all of Austin residents get to enjoy the 55 stories up in the air that the Austonian is. You have to be a resident of the Austonian, so you can only LOOK at it. However, on the other hand, ALL of San Antonio residents get to enjoy the Tower of the Americas which is 622 feet up in the air! Now you tell me would you rather LOOK at a building or go to the TOP of it? That's a no-brainer don't you think so. Moreover, I think that it is the TALLEST OBSERVATION TOWER IN TEXAS where EVERONE can actually go up to the TOP and enjoy it.

By the way, your from NY what's the progress on the new WORLD TRADE CENTER? I am going to the grand opening.

Go Spurs (NBA) , Go Talons (arena football) , Go Scorpions (soccer) , Go UTSA Roadrunners (college football) , Go Rampage (hockey)

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 4:24 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by max7
Now you tell me would you rather LOOK at a building or go to the TOP of it
Depends on what it looks like. Luckily I've done both on both structures. I'm actually happy with looking at it. It's windy as hell up there. Not the most hospitable place for taking photos. So I kind of feel like what's the point if I'm worried about my camera, tripod and me getting blown off.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 5:08 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by max7 View Post
Unfortunately, JackinNYC not all of Austin residents get to enjoy the 55 stories up in the air that the Austonian is. You have to be a resident of the Austonian, so you can only LOOK at it. However, on the other hand, ALL of San Antonio residents get to enjoy the Tower of the Americas which is 622 feet up in the air! Now you tell me would you rather LOOK at a building or go to the TOP of it? That's a no-brainer don't you think so. Moreover, I think that it is the TALLEST OBSERVATION TOWER IN TEXAS where EVERONE can actually go up to the TOP and enjoy it.

By the way, your from NY what's the progress on the new WORLD TRADE CENTER? I am going to the grand opening.
Actually, I grew up in San Antonio and went to UT Austin. I've enjoyed going up the Tower of the Americas many times, and I think SA is doing a pretty good job of retaining the feel of its downtown (much to the chagrin of those who would like more tall buildings more quickly). But I was only making a little comment on the fact that the photo was stretched... that's all.

One World Trade Center is about the same height as the Tower of the Americas now, funny you should ask. Although it's still only about the 20th tallest in downtown Manhattan.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 7:41 PM
San Antonio

lets make a point here, it doesnt matter if the skyline is taller or not but we all know san antonio skyline is truely unique and beautiful, and I do think is the best one in Texas...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 9:03 PM
JACKinBeantown

Toosh (touché).

Agreed.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 6:15 AM

River North and Pearl

All taken by me 7-27-11

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 6:23 AM
Meh

Cool. I like that area. I have a feeling I'll be visiting it almost every time I'm in San Antonio. I enjoyed it the last time I was there last year.

Thou shall not indict

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio