The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster slayer View Post
I thought the blow through was an after thought is all. It followed. The design or shell of the building was determined and thankfully kept, but the blow through was later determined necessary. They lost some high priced units with that, I don't think it was part of the program.
Actually I'm pretty sure they didn't actually lose any SF and just increased the height of the building slightly. I think that accounts for the descrepancy between the 1150ish number we had originally heard and the final height just below 1,200 we wound up with. There was an engineering article posted a while ago that discussed how the blow thru wasn't in the original design until wind testing determined that they had to do something to resist the sway of such a narrow, slab like, structure. The same article also discussed the interesting unique linked double core of this building which has also been used as slight against this design. Turns out that unique sheer wall configuration was also a result of the massing of the structure and need to locate the core on either side of the street and not because of the frustums as was hypothosized by the anti-Gang contingent here on SSP.

Basically the conclusion of the article was that all the fancy cores, sheer walls, and dampering has nothing to do with the frustum form and everything to do with the extremely narrow, slab like, massing of the building which is basically outside of the architects control given the site constraints and the height of the building.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture