HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
True. Newtown Square is booming, and has marketed itself as an extension of the Main Line for the extra cachet.
tbh I've always thought of it as a part of the main line. (i know technically it's not).

It's sort of hard to have Aronimink, Episcopal Academy, and Radnor Hunt Country literally in your town and not be considered on par with the Main Line. In fact, I'd put it atop a number of Main Line zips as is (Malvern and Paoli). Still doesn't have the cachet of a Villanova or Gladwyne or Bryn Mawr, but it's not far behind.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 3:15 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
tbh I've always thought of it as a part of the main line. (i know technically it's not).

It's sort of hard to have Aronimink, Episcopal Academy, and Radnor Hunt Country literally in your town and not be considered on par with the Main Line. In fact, I'd put it atop a number of Main Line zips as is (Malvern and Paoli). Still doesn't have the cachet of a Villanova or Gladwyne or Bryn Mawr, but it's not far behind.
Agree, there is a lot of prestige in Newtown Square, and some big money, and virtually all new construction is in the top-tier of the market. Though its not technically the Main Line, it sure fits in with the likes of Radnor, Wayne, Devon, and not far off the top-tier Main Line towns (as you mentioned).

It's also leading the pack for growth in Delaware County (along with a few other municipalities).

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 7:01 PM
Me?!?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 7:18 PM

WITH A SIDE OF SUBURBS: Philadelphia restaurateurs are increasingly setting up shop outside the city limits

Quote:
Marc Vetri has always wanted to open a steakhouse. Over the years, the Philadelphia restaurateur has received offers to launch one in locales from Atlantic City to Las Vegas, but it never seemed like the right move.

The forthcoming restaurant at 915 Lancaster Ave. — the former home of Enoteca Tredici from the now defunct Zavino Hospitality — comes with the freedom to execute the vision Vetri had all along: a menu of thoughtful, simple foods with a curated selection of meats that emphasize high-quality sourcing. It will feature a wood grill with a “real charcoal fire,” tapping into “underrated” vegetable side dishes that are carefully seasoned and create “magical” aromas as they roast on the flames.

“The city has tons of steakhouses,” Vetri said of pegging Bryn Mawr for the concept over Philadelphia proper. “They don’t need another one.”

Vetri is among several established Philadelphia restaurant owners who have taken to the suburbs to launch new concepts since the start of the pandemic. A handful of them told the Business Journal that the benefits of moving outside of the city include more bang for their buck when it comes to rent and square footage, ample parking, and the opportunity to reach new customers. They see value in being one of the culinary trailblazers to start fleshing out new hospitality territory beyond the city limits, especially with many people in the region continuing to work from their suburban homes during the pandemic.

While bringing that city-style concept to the Main Line, it’s important for a restaurant to be transparent about its offerings and dining experience for the suburban customer, said Avram Hornik, owner of FCM Hospitality, which has Philadelphia concepts like Morgan’s Pier, Rosy’s Taco Bar, Harper’s Garden and Juno. In April, the group took to Ardmore to open Modern American restaurant Lola’s Garden, which is its first suburban concept.

Chef Nicholas Elmi and Fia Berisha of BE Hospitality, the group behind new Bala Cynwyd restaurants The Landing Kitchen and Lark, estimate if they had opened their concepts in Philadelphia they would have received 35% to 45% less square footage for roughly the same rent. Both restaurants are located at the Ironworks building, where The Landing Kitchen opened in March and Lark opened in October.

Vetri similarly predicts more Philadelphia restaurateurs will begin launching eateries outside the city limits. Landlords are looking to fill space, and as such will “sweeten the deal,” he noted. More restaurants opening on the Main Line doesn’t increase competition as much as it adds life to the area and fuels the economy by attracting more customers, Vetri said.
Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...o-suburbs.html

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 7:44 PM

How the Philadelphia region will benefit from Biden’s infrastructure bill

Quote:
Roads, bridges, and public transit are infrastructure, but so are habitat for South Jersey box turtles and a freshwater tidal marsh in the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge.

The $1 trillion federal infrastructure spending bill, finally coughed up by Congress and awaiting President Joe Biden’s signature, will invest billions in the Philadelphia region and across the United States. It will be the nation’s largest burst of infrastructure spending in decades.

Here’s how the region expects to benefit from the infrastructure bill:

Pennsylvania
$11.3 billion for highway work and $1.6 billion to replace and repair deficient bridges over five years, per the White House and state officials. About 13%, or 4,217, of Pennsylvania bridges on state, local, and federal highways are in “poor”condition, PennDot says. An estimated 7,540 miles of highway need repair.

$2.8 billion over five years to improve public transportation statewide, including SEPTA.

SEPTA
An extra $120 million in federal money this year, the transit authority estimates. That is on top of about $300 million SEPTA would get under existing formulas for U.S. aid to transit, reauthorized as part of the infrastructure bill.

By the 2026 fiscal year, SEPTA could have received a cumulative $540 million, in addition to its normal allotment of formula-based aid.

One important thing: SEPTA now has certainty for the next five years about its level of federal support, which will help planning.

In addition, SEPTA expects to compete for grants from the $1.75 billion All Stations Accessibility Program to retrofit older transit stations for people with disabilities. Any awards would accelerate an ongoing program to make accessible all stations on the Broad Street and Market-Frankford Lines.

SEPTA also wants to win money from a Federal Transit Administration discretionary grant program to spend on two top projects — the planned $1.8 billion modernization of its trolley network and planned $2 billion expansion of light-rail service to King of Prussia.

Federal grants require states and localities to put up matching funds.

New Jersey
$6.9 billion for highways and $1.1 billion for bridge repairs and replacement, according to the White House.

$4.2 billion for transit over the next five years, including NJ Transit. About 25% of New Jersey’s transit buses and trains are in need of replacement, the state says.

Among the state’s transportation priorities: $72 million needed to help complete the $900 million project connecting I-295, I-76, and Route 42 in Camden County.

$8 billion more toward the Gateway Project to improve Northeast Corridor rail connections between New Jersey and New York. Plans are to build a new two-track tunnel under the Hudson River and repair the existing tunnel, which is 100 years old and was damaged by Hurricane Sandy. Some bridges in North Jersey would also be repaired.

$30 billion from an Amtrak Northeast Corridor improvement program could also go toward the massive Gateway Project. Faster trips on the corridor would benefit New Jersey’s economy as well as Southeastern Pennsylvania’s.

Reconnecting Communities
The $1 billion would fund a grant program for planning and construction of projects to reconnect communities. It was whittled down from Biden’s initial proposal of $20 billion. “This is a great start,” Evans said.

$4 billion for the same purpose is included in the pending Build Back Better Act, a second proposed installment of infrastructure and social spending that is now the subject of intense congressional negotiations.

Communities and states would compete for a share of the money for highway removal. As currently drafted, the legislation gives Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg wide latitude to make the grant awards.

Delaware River watershed
$26 million in supplemental funding over five years to help with wildlife conservation and environmental programs — a windfall of $5.2 million annually for the Delaware River Basin Restoration Program. The restoration program was created in 2016 and is managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Read/view more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/transportat...-20211109.html

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
WITH A SIDE OF SUBURBS: Philadelphia restaurateurs are increasingly setting up shop outside the city limits

Ehhhhhhhhhhh.

If this were to happen it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Places like Cynwyd and Ardmore could certainly benefit from more restaurants.

But I take most of what Vetri says with a grain of salt nowadays.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Ehhhhhhhhhhh.

If this were to happen it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Places like Cynwyd and Ardmore could certainly benefit from more restaurants.

But I take most of what Vetri says with a grain of salt nowadays.
I agree. PLUS, let's be honest.... Bala Cynwyd, Ardmore and the Main Line aren't REALLY suburbs. These are still pretty dense, urban areas, most of them with large walkable "downtowns" or boroughs. This area would still be considered "city" in all of the south.

We're not talking about Bensalem, Glenolden, Audubon or Collegeville. I think walkable, urban towns and boroughs outside of the city SHOULD have a good restaurant scene.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 8:23 PM

One thing we didn't talk too in-depth about - the 2020 Census Numbers

Philadelphia Region

County - 2010 population - 2020 population - growth percentage over the decade

MSA Counties

Philadelphia County, PA (City of Philadelphia) - 1,526,006 - 1,603,797 - +5.1%
Montgomery County, PA - 799,884 - 856,553 - +7.1%
Delaware County, PA - 558,979 - 576,830 - +3.2%
Chester County, PA - 498,886 - 534,413 - +7.1%
Bucks County, PA - 625,249 - 646,538 - +3.4%
Burlington County, NJ - 448,734 - 461,860 - +2.9%
Camden County, NJ - 513,657- 523,485 - +1.9%
Gloucester County, NJ - 288,288 - 302,294 - +4.9%
Salem County, NJ - 66,083 - 64,837 - -1.9%
New Castle County, DE - 538,479 - 570,719 - +6%
Cecil County, MD - 101,108 - 103,725 - +2.6%

MSA Total Population - 5,965,343 - 6,245,051 - +4.69%

CSA Counties

Berks County, PA - 411,442 - 428,849 - +4.2%
Atlantic County, NJ - 274,549 - 269,534 - -1.9%
Cape May County, NJ - 97,265 - 95,263 - -2.1%
Cumberland County, NJ - 156,898 - 154,152 - -1.8%
Kent County, DE - 162,310 - 181,851 - +12%

CSA Total Population - 7,067,807 - 7,379,700 - +4.41

Last edited by summersm343; Nov 13, 2021 at 3:43 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 2:14 AM
Chris

Quote:
I agree. PLUS, let's be honest.... Bala Cynwyd, Ardmore and the Main Line aren't REALLY suburbs. These are still pretty dense, urban areas, most of them with large walkable "downtowns" or boroughs. This area would still be considered "city" in all of the south.

We're not talking about Bensalem, Glenolden, Audubon or Collegeville. I think walkable, urban towns and boroughs outside of the city SHOULD have a good restaurant scene.
And the Main Line dining scene has traditionally been underwhelming, so I am happy to see more (and better) options entering the scene.

I'm sure similar action will follow in Media (which already has a solid dining scene).

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 2:51 AM

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 4:04 AM

^^ cool! and according to the article "The company's CEO said it is considering eventually also having an office in Philadelphia."

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 4:06 PM

Quote:

Tangentially, anyone know what's going on with the Tredici on 13th? I know Schulson / Michaud are taking over Zavino, but google still shows Tredici as "temporarily closed."

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Philadelphia Region

County - 2010 population - 2020 population - growth percentage over the decade

MSA Counties

Philadelphia County, PA (City of Philadelphia) - 1,526,006 - 1,603,797 - +5.1%
Montgomery County, PA - 799,884 - 856,553 - +7.1%
Delaware County, PA - 558,979 - 576,830 - +3.2%
Chester County, PA - 498,886 - 534,413 - +7.1%
Bucks County, PA - 625,249 - 646,538 - +3.4%
Burlington County, NJ - 448,734 - 461,860 - +2.9%
Camden County, NJ - 513,657- 523,485 - +1.9%
Gloucester County, NJ - 288,288 - 302,294 - +4.9%
Salem County, NJ - 66,083 - 64,837 - -1.9%
New Castle County, DE - 538,479 - 570,719 - +6%
Cecil County, MD - 101,108 - 103,725 - +2.6%

MSA Total Population - 5,965,343 - 6,245,051 - +4.69%

CSA Counties

Berks County, PA - 411,442 - 428,849 - +4.2%
Atlantic County, NJ - 269,534 - 274,549 - -1.9%
Cape May County, NJ - 95,263 - 97,265 - -2.1%
Cumberland County, NJ - 154,152 - 156,898 - -1.8%
Kent County, DE - 162,310 - 181,851 - +12%

CSA Total Population - 7,067,807 - 7,379,700 - +4.41
TBH blew my expectations away. Can really see how the urbanization of the suburbs is pushing growth, especially in Montco and Delco in a way that would have been unexpected even a decade ago. I bet you most of that growth happened in the tail end of the decade, so I wouldn't be surprised that it would be even higher in the next decade.

Also, if you look beyond the ring of suburbs in our MSA on the Pennsylvania side, growth was just as high if not higher in Northampton, Lehigh, Lancaster, York, Cumberland, and Dauphin Counties. SE PA is doing quite well these days.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 5:14 PM

Im really happy with the census results, I hope some of the mall redevelopment and other densification projects go through, the ones off philmont ave would add at least 400 units there, Ive heard the willow grove mall owners want to redevelop most the the parking lot spaces in favor of mixed use mid rise buildings, same applies to most malls in the area. The Willow grove mall could add easily 2000 units if they tried and that's over 2-3 thousand people at least.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 5:15 PM

Although since early this year ive heard no progress at KOP and WGP, Oxford valley, Neshaminy, and I think cherry hill are all building apartments on the lots or in the mall. So I hope KOP and WGP redevelop there lots, mixed use community at that scale would be amazing

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post
Although since early this year ive heard no progress at KOP and WGP, Oxford valley, Neshaminy, and I think cherry hill are all building apartments on the lots or in the mall. So I hope KOP and WGP redevelop there lots, mixed use community at that scale would be amazing
I think KOP Town Center absorbed most of the development the past 5 or so years in KOP. Now that that's mostly built out, I would imagine around the Mall/Mall BLVD and redevelopment of 1st Ave are next.

I do know that Simon Property Group wants to redevelop the old Sears and most of the parking lots around there into a walkable/mixed-use development.

Unsure about Willow Grove though.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 8:42 PM

Audubon Land Development buys Happy Days Farm in Exton for $18M

Quote:
Audubon Land Development has paid Nelson Realty Trust, an entity affiliated with Vanguard Group, $18.1 million for what is referred to as the Happy Days Farm, which fronts the Pennsylvania Turnpike and Route 100 in Exton, according to Chester County property records.

Records show that roughly 240 acres were purchased by the Lower Providence-based real estate company.

The Uwchlan planning commission has approved a plan in which Audubon Land will develop 1.93 million square feet of warehouse-distribution centers in three buildings and a 30-acre passive park with trails. Audubon Land told Uwchlan officials that work could begin on the largest of the buildings, a 1.1-million-square-foot structure, and the park in 2022.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 9:56 PM

Quote:

I do know that Simon Property Group wants to redevelop the old Sears and most of the parking lots around there into a walkable/mixed-use development.

Unsure about Willow Grove though.
Thats actually great! Town center is nice but also the standard suburban town center, surrounded by parking lots, hopefully when septas KOP rail and bus service improves and the eventual amtrak/septa expansion goes out there the apartments around KOP will be finished or underway, with all those people, business would boom and I'm sure a decent chunk of them would use transit if the infrastructure for it is good quality. (IE raised platforms, easy access, bus shelters)

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 3:38 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Looks like the Wilmington I-95 cap is getting serious.

http://www.wilmapco.org/i95cap/

Anyway has anyone seen Jawn? I haven't seen him post in a while hope he's good.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 4:09 AM
Philly Rising Up!

What about JSBrooks?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations