HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 6:30 PM
build awesome buildings

wow, those are going to be seriously gorgeous once completed and i’d be totally down for a view like that. nice to see wilmington maintaining its momentum!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 10:58 PM
Philly Rising Up!

[QUOTE=Jawnadelphia;8786977]These are going to be maybe the most scenic new apartments in the region when completed.

What is the foundation that the steel structure is sitting on? Looks like it's been there and right next to Brandywine Creek and no chance it will erode the foundation.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 11:33 PM

[QUOTE=iheartphilly;8787297]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
These are going to be maybe the most scenic new apartments in the region when completed.

What is the foundation that the steel structure is sitting on? Looks like it's been there and right next to Brandywine Creek and no chance it will erode the foundation.
Yeah, the old textile mills used to sit there, dating back to 1787! But more recently the Bancroft Company operated the mills for about 150 years until the mills shut down for good in 1981. There was a fire a few years ago which finally led to the mills being demolished. But the stone walled banks remained.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 11:43 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^

Wow. I'm amazed with the history. And to see the stone wall hold up next to the creek with storm water surges, etc., tells me that's a feat of engineering. And, it looks like they may be doing some work on it to further maintain its existence.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Dec 30, 2019 at 11:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 5:43 PM

Happy New Year everyone. I was just in Jenkintown and there is a pretty significant 5 story apartment building under construction right of Old York Rd. Glad to see some of the inner ring suburbs with great transit connection increasing their density!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 7:22 PM

Once ‘sleepy’ King of Prussia is booming with development

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20200108.html

Quote:
By virtue of its name, King of Prussia was known for its mall, a behemoth ranked just below the nation’s biggest, Minnesota’s 96-acre Mall of America. But even as shopping thrived, the area’s industrial business district sagged, leaving behind bleak buildings bloated with abandoned cubicles.

Those hired a decade ago to fix the problem devised a plan with two notable prongs: First, modify the kind of building allowed in the industrial district so people could live, eat, and shop there.

Then, launch a public-relations campaign to polish the image of King of Prussia, an 8.5-square mile neighborhood in Upper Merion Township that historically — and somewhat unusually — counted more commuters than residents, a ratio of around 60,000 to 30,000. King of Prussia would be sleek, modern, progressive, marketers promised. The place for businesses to be.

It worked.

In came the Brazilian steakhouse, the breweries, fast-casual burrito joints, and gourmet doughnut chains.

Local developers built hundreds of luxury housing units, and then developers from Virginia, Maryland, Tennessee, and Texas joined in, lending hope that perhaps King of Prussia could mirror successful commercial hubs in Northern Virginia.

“They’re taking off in a different way,” said Rose Grosso, permits officer for Upper Merion Township, where the median income is $91,515. " ... There’s a massive amount of redevelopment."

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 2:16 PM

Move over, King of Prussia: Upper Dublin, Horsham are fast becoming development hotbeds

Nice roundup of what's going on over that way. The Promenade at Upper Dublin is massive. Find myself up that way often and there's a ton of new development.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Move over, King of Prussia: Upper Dublin, Horsham are fast becoming development hotbeds

Nice roundup of what's going on over that way. The Promenade at Upper Dublin is massive. Find myself up that way often and there's a ton of new development.
I think we'll see these types of development continue to move east as the KOP/Mainline area becomes denser and more expensive. There's a huge apartment proposal near me at the Oxford Valley Mall and they are filling in every vacant square foot with single family homes at the moment.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 6:27 PM

^ I was just up in Dresher recently. For six years from the late nineties to the early "oughts," I worked in Horsham. An immense change. I was not up there during either rush hour, so I wonder how the already stretched roads are handling things now. One thing is for sure, getting anywhere (especially Center City) in a reasonable amount of time, even back when, was impossible during rush hour. If this is to be a "satellite city" like KofP, they need serious improvements to transit connections at the very least. I even had dreams of a "611/Broad Street Expressway" in more frustrating moments.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^ I was just up in Dresher recently. For six years from the late nineties to the early "oughts," I worked in Horsham. An immense change. I was not up there during either rush hour, so I wonder how the already stretched roads are handling things now. One thing is for sure, getting anywhere (especially Center City) in a reasonable amount of time, even back when, was impossible during rush hour. If this is to be a "satellite city" like KofP, they need serious improvements to transit connections at the very least. I even had dreams of a "611/Broad Street Expressway" in more frustrating moments.
Yeah that area is very difficult to get to CC from....they have the train, which takes a bit but really is the best bet. If you are driving, 611 is really the only direct way and if it's rush hour forget about it.

I think lower Bucks is primed for takeoff, it's almost the eastern equivalent of KOP in terms of road transit, with the new NJ Turnpike extension, 95/295, PA Turnpike, and Route 1 all coming together, plus the advantage of RR and Amtrak. The housing is also still very affordable in comparison. We shall see.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 3:57 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
Yeah that area is very difficult to get to CC from....they have the train, which takes a bit but really is the best bet. If you are driving, 611 is really the only direct way and if it's rush hour forget about it.

I think lower Bucks is primed for takeoff, it's almost the eastern equivalent of KOP in terms of road transit, with the new NJ Turnpike extension, 95/295, PA Turnpike, and Route 1 all coming together, plus the advantage of RR and Amtrak. The housing is also still very affordable in comparison. We shall see.
I can attest that traffic during rush hour is dismal and only getting worse. The development is exciting to see and really changing the area but the roads in many spots are just not built for that level of traffic.

This will be great when it's done but damn is it going to be painful in the meantime. This whole area is gridlocked and this is going to be rough:

Beginning Monday, January 13, through Friday, January 17, from 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM, Markley Street (U.S. 202 South) motorists will encounter periodic, flagger-controlled lane closures in either direction between Main Street and Elm Street for installation of temporary traffic signal poles and wires. The temporary signals will be used during the project’s construction stages, which include replacement of the existing permanent traffic signals.

On Monday, January 27, Markley Street (U.S. 202 South) will be closed to northbound motorists and detoured for approximately two and a half years between Main Street and Elm Street when work begins on the first major stage of construction to rebuild and improve the northbound side of Markley Street (U.S. 202 South) within the project area.

Northbound U.S. 202 motorists heading to Markley Street will be detoured north on DeKalb Street (U.S. 202 North) in Bridgeport Borough to Johnson Highway in Norristown from Monday, January 27, until fall 2022. Northbound motorists using the Dannehower Bridge will be required to turn east or west on Main Street in Norristown for the duration of construction.

Under this improvement project, PennDOT will perform the following roadway, bridge, streetscape and pedestrian enhancements:

• Rebuild the four-lane section of Markley Street (U.S. 202 South) between Main Street and Marshall Street;

• Reconstruct and widen Markley Street (U.S. 202 South) to provide one northbound lane, two southbound lanes and a center turn lane between Marshall Street and Elm Street;

• Replace the two existing bridges for Markley Street (U.S. 202 South) over Stony Creek with a single bridge to accommodate five lanes of traffic;

• Rehabilitate the Markley Street (U.S. 202 South)/Elm Street stone arch bridge over Stony Creek;

• Construct a new sidewalk on the west side of Markley Street (U.S. 202 South) to link SEPTA train stations at Main Street and Elm Street;

• Reconstruct and widen Main Street between Water Street and Barbadoes Street to provide additional travel lanes and improve traffic flow through the signalized intersection at Markley Street (U.S. 202 South);

• Install brick pavers, trees and decorative pedestrian streetlights along Main Street between Barbadoes Street and Markley Street (U.S. 202 South);

• Upgrade railroad grade crossings at Main Street and Marshall Street by installing new gates and signals in coordination with SEPTA;

https://www.timesherald.com/news/loc...bca7f825b.html

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 1:40 PM

Greater Philadelphia is one of the country’s hottest job markets, report says

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...country-s.html

Quote:
Greater Philadelphia is one of the United States’ hottest job markets, according to a new report from ZipRecruiter.

The Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington metro ranks No. 8 of ZipRecruiter’s top 10. Job growth in Philadelphia increased by 1% year-over-year, seeing growth in the service sector, according to a report from the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 6:29 PM

The original articles didn't make clear that this project is actually 2 buildings, 5 stories each. Good article here summarizing a lot of momentum for the South Wilmington Riverfront area. For those that don't know, Southbridge, not far from here is one of Wilmington's toughest/most impoverished neighborhoods, big time investment bridging the gap from the Riverfront to Southbridge could maybe help this area out (hopefully).
https://www.delawareonline.com/story...on/4464865002/

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:33 PM

Hey guys - check out my new Philly area photo thread. Let me know what you think!

https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...d.php?t=241466

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 3:19 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Hey guys - check out my new Philly area photo thread. Let me know what you think!

Very enjoyable. Thank you Summers!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 12:03 AM

I am a frequent viewer but I never really comment...Summers you did a great job, I really like the photos ! Makes me want to come home for a visit !

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 1:13 AM

Quote:

Nice! Really shows off the diversity in the region.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 6:59 PM

Quote:

Nice! If you stop by in Wilmington at night, 1201 North Market Street sometimes lights up the top of the building, similar to Empire State in New York only not quite as cool:

[IMG]1201 North Market Street at Night by jonesrmj, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]1201 North Market Street Night by jonesrmj, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 1:49 PM

Quote:

Note: If you're using Firefox you may need to disable tracking protection to view these images as they're hosted on facebook.

Great set though, Summer.

Also, where is this? (Anyone?)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Very enjoyable. Thank you Summers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryiz View Post
I am a frequent viewer but I never really comment...Summers you did a great job, I really like the photos ! Makes me want to come home for a visit !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad9 View Post
Nice! Really shows off the diversity in the region.
Thanks ya’ll! Glad you enjoyed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations