HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 3:19 PM

federal gas tax revenue

Sounds like a "win-win" solution to me. Quebec and Saskatchewan can allocate thier portion of their existing federal gas tax revenue to arenas/stadiums, and there is no requirement for any new federal money to be allocated. I look forward to watching a labour day classic in the new stadium by 2014 during one of my frequent trips to Regina!

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2011/...rena-feds.html

Last edited by khabibulin; Feb 9, 2011 at 3:37 PM. Reason: added link

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 3:29 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

pleas don't post full articles see rules http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/anno...hp?f=129&a=313

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 5:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Sorry 1ajs, but I couldn't resist jumping in with my own two cents on this.

In theory, Mosaic Stadium shouldn't work, but it does. A 30,000 seat stadium in a residential area with hardly any parking, yet people manage to make it in without any problems. I don't see why moving the stadium 3/4 of a kilometre east would all of a sudden cause insurmountable problems.

Personally, on the rare occasions when I've attended football games in Regina, I have left the car behind downtown and walked the short distance to Mosaic. With a stadium that's even closer to downtown, I would think that all of downtown Regina and the warehouse area north of the tracks would be used for parking. And given that most games are played evenings and weekends - a time when downtown Regina is not normally bursting at the seams - I don't see capacity being an issue.

The arguments being marshalled against the Regina complex echo the ones used against the MTS Centre, and we all know how valid those turned out to be. I think the Regina stadium is a great idea, provided of course that the province can afford such an ambitious structure. I think Winnipeg could take a lesson from its western neighbours in thinking big. By contrast, our sports facilities are certainly passable places to watch a game, but were never (and won't be, in the case of the football stadium) particularly impressive places even on day one. Good on Regina, I say. I don't think it would hurt if Winnipeg were embarrassed a bit by Saskatchewan's can-do approach to this. Maybe we might step up our game a little in response.
Excellent post!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
Sounds like a "win-win" solution to me. Quebec and Saskatchewan can allocate thier portion of their existing federal gas tax revenue to arenas/stadiums, and there is no requirement for any new federal money to be allocated. I look forward to watching a labour day classic in the new stadium by 2014 during one of my frequent trips to Regina!

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2011/...rena-feds.html
Also,

http://www.thespec.com/news/article/...c-arena-report

Another interesting twist, its pretty sad when Saskatchewan has a very detailed plan that was applied for last summer, with commited partners (city, private sector, Province), and a community owned tenant that is willing to fund millions into the project. Add to that we already have a site and design on the table. Quebec on the other hand has no tenant, no real plan, and a private commitment from a company that just got out of bankrupcy protection, and they are the project that will likely get approved first.

That said, even with the brutal optics coming out of Ottawa, this is still good news for our project here in Sk, now there is no way they can deny funding to our project. Also I have to laugh, after my conversation with Tom Lukiwsky last week, he stated that if Quebec got fed money for a new arena and Saskatchewan didn't, he would resign as MP for Regina-Lumsden. If that happens, you know Migs will hold him to his word.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 6:21 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

he would seariously do that? would he run under a different party then?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 6:41 PM

This is bad...

This is not a good solution for us. There is an article in the L-P on this that states Regina's share of the gas tax is approx. $11million/yr. That is all well and good except that is being used for things like overpasses and other infrastrcuture. I bet Mayor Pat flipped his lid when he saw this news break. This offers us nothing. It forces Regina...and Regina alone (rightly or wrongly) to choose between important infrastructure projects with regards to allocating gas tax money.

Moreover, the article states that no one from the province was aware the feds were going this way. Bad sign. And, as usual, the SK MP's were useless to the people of SK.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 6:43 PM

On the issue of parking being bad. I go see 2-3 Rider games a year and I always park in front of the library. Much easier to get in/out and its only a ten minute walk.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 7:28 PM

[QUOTE=Migs;5157952]Also,

Another interesting twist, its pretty sad when Saskatchewan has a very detailed plan that was applied for last summer, with commited partners (city, private sector, Province), and a community owned tenant that is willing to fund millions into the project. Add to that we already have a site and design on the table. Quebec on the other hand has no tenant, no real plan, and a private commitment from a company that just got out of bankrupcy protection, and they are the project that will likely get approved first.

Welcome to the wonderful world of regional politics. Remember how Winnipeg got shafted on the CF-18 maintenance contract in 1987? Political decisions often defy any practicality.

But in the words of Tom Flanagan, in politics it doesn't have to be true, it only has to be plausible.

Anyway, the ball will soon be squarely in the Saskatchewan/Regina court to fish or cut bait !

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 8:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skthunder77 View Post
This is not a good solution for us. There is an article in the L-P on this that states Regina's share of the gas tax is approx. $11million/yr. That is all well and good except that is being used for things like overpasses and other infrastrcuture. I bet Mayor Pat flipped his lid when he saw this news break. This offers us nothing. It forces Regina...and Regina alone (rightly or wrongly) to choose between important infrastructure projects with regards to allocating gas tax money.
Don't forget that we have a plan B even if the feds contribute nothing. Like Fiacco and Wall stated several times last week, this project is much bigger than just a stadium.

That said, I honestly don't think this idea would pit fixing roads vs building a new stadium as funds from gas taxes already go towards infrastructure projects like the pedestrian bridges, roads, and public squares that are being proposed within this project. And we don't know if it would only be Regina's share that would be available for this project as this is a Saskatchewan facility. Just like a bridge that is built in Saskatoon gets infrastructure money that could easily be allocated to any other municipal govt. Still lots of unknowns, and all this mishmash is really starting to make the conservatives look like they don't know what they are doing. Funny stuff that our MP's know nothing about this, may as well laugh about it, its better than crying.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 9:55 PM
Canadian Urbanite

If Saskatchewan gets the shaft on this project, I seriously hope the voters respond accordingly at the federal level. I understand that people are partial to certain parties, but our Conservatives MPs have done little to warrant support from Saskatchewan.

I would not be surprised if the Conservatives have the mindset that they can treat Saskatchewan however they please and still count on securing seats next election. This is not Alberta. We do not have a tradition of voting for a specific party and i think it's imperative that we as voters show them that they have to earn our vote. We will not follow them blindly and they can not rely on our votes just because of their name.

I am not a Conservative. I have never voted Conservative at any level of government. That being said, I am able to look at politics logically and vote for the party who will best serve Saskatchewan. I did not vote for Brad Wall in the last election, but I am able to admit that he has not been what I feared. I still have some concerns about the Sask. Party with respect to certain aspects, however, that being said I may consider voting for Wall next election.

Essentially, what I am trying to say is, I hope people look at how the Federal Conservatives have treated Saskatchewan and vote accordingly. This stadium project is another issue to add to the list and another reason they do not deserve our votes.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 10:18 PM
the first stamp is free

^ Federal politicians will pander to Quebec voters regardless of their political stripes. Unfortunately it doesn't matter who you vote for in the end.

Winnipeg has several examples of political battles lost to Quebec, including the CF-18 maintenance contract scandal, and perhaps more importantly, the loss of Air Canada headquarters and maintenance operations in the 60's.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 10:24 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ Federal politicians will pander to Quebec voters regardless of their political stripes. Unfortunately it doesn't matter who you vote for in the end.
True enough.

That being said, Ralph Goodale of the Liberal Party has always managed to get things done in Regina.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
If Saskatchewan gets the shaft on this project, I seriously hope the voters respond accordingly at the federal level. I understand that people are partial to certain parties, but our Conservatives MPs have done little to warrant support from Saskatchewan.

I would not be surprised if the Conservatives have the mindset that they can treat Saskatchewan however they please and still count on securing seats next election. This is not Alberta. We do not have a tradition of voting for a specific party and i think it's imperative that we as voters show them that they have to earn our vote. We will not follow them blindly and they can not rely on our votes just because of their name.

I am not a Conservative. I have never voted Conservative at any level of government. That being said, I am able to look at politics logically and vote for the party who will best serve Saskatchewan. I did not vote for Brad Wall in the last election, but I am able to admit that he has not been what I feared. I still have some concerns about the Sask. Party with respect to certain aspects, however, that being said I may consider voting for Wall next election.

Essentially, what I am trying to say is, I hope people look at how the Federal Conservatives have treated Saskatchewan and vote accordingly. This stadium project is another issue to add to the list and another reason they do not deserve our votes.
I am a Conservative, both Federal and Provincial. However, I can honestly say that I am extreemly disapointed with our Federal MP's. They said absolutely nothing during the potash debates and they are doing nothing with regards to the stadium in Regina. I agree that they seem to think votes are locked up in Saskatchewan. If Quebec received funding for a rink and we got the shaft, I simply would not vote.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 1:23 AM

Sometimes this thread can be as bad as Riderfans.com. After one somewhat positive word from the feds regarding stadium funding we are higher than a kite , then comes one somewhat negative word or percieved policy and we need to hide the razor blades and sharpen the pitchforks for our MP's . How about we hop of the roller coaster and take a ........... nah being bi-polar on this is far more interesting.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
I am a Conservative, both Federal and Provincial. However, I can honestly say that I am extreemly disapointed with our Federal MP's. They said absolutely nothing during the potash debates and they are doing nothing with regards to the stadium in Regina. I agree that they seem to think votes are locked up in Saskatchewan. If Quebec received funding for a rink and we got the shaft, I simply would not vote.
I think some of the issues with Conservative party is Happer from what I have read and seen in the news he like to rule with a iron fist and does not really allow much for his mp talking out of turn he likes to control what being said and done. I bet you he may have told his mp's in sask to not make to many comments about the issues or statements .

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 8:33 AM
BANNED

Man alive is this ever a soap opera!

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Ott...512/story.html

Quote:
Ottawa involved in arena plan

Mike De Souza, Posmedia News · Wednesday, Feb. 9, 2011

OTTAWA — The Harper government is working closely with the City of Quebec and Premier Jean Charest on a plan to build a professional sports arena there, Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Josée Verner said Wednesday.

Although members of her government were not expected to attend an announcement about the project on Thursday, Ms. Verner said she has been keeping in touch with Quebec City Mayor Régis Labeaume, as well as provincial Transport Minister Sam Hamad, who called her late Tuesday to discuss the matter.

“We’ll let them make their announcement but all this shows one thing — that we’re working in collaboration and we do hope, at the end, to have a business plan,” said Ms. Verner, the MP for the Quebec City-area riding of Louis-Saint-Laurent.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 12:28 PM
arf

It may be time for Mr. Wall to start his own ABC (anything but Conservative) campaign.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 5:21 PM

Perhaps an even more important quote from the article Migs posted:

Quote:
Ms. Verner dismissed reports that the Conservative government was exploring such funding options as renegotiating a federal program that transfers gasoline tax revenues to the provinces for infrastructure projects. “It’s speculation at this point,” she said. “There’s no plan like that.”
Under the gas tax transfer program — which mainly supports public transit, roads and sewer projects — sports and entertainment facilities are not eligible to apply for funding. Any change would require renegotiating the federal-provincial agreements with each province that wanted to direct the money elsewhere.
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Ott...#ixzz1DZs36rjz

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 5:35 PM

province of Quebec and Quebec city pay for arena

The official announcement has been made. No federal reps were present.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/st...ouncement.html

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 5:40 PM

There was just an announcement in Quebec that they are proceeding with an arena with the cost split 50/50 between the Province and Quebec City. There is no federal funding in the mix (although the province indicated they would welcome Fed support or private support). The announcement indicated work on the arena would begin in the next few months.

** see post above...it was posted while I was drafting this post ***

So, no precedent has been set in terms of Fed support for a sport/entertainment facility. I cannot imagine Regina, as a city, being able or willing to come up with the $215 million for a domed stadium, nor do I suspect that there would be provincial support for Provincial tax dollars of up to $215 million going towards a facility. Time for plan B...does anyone know what that might be?? There is def need for a new facility, but what is the scaled down version??

Last edited by prairieguy; Feb 10, 2011 at 5:44 PM. Reason: previous post had same information

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan