HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 9:03 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 9:14 PM

weymoa on reddit

look very carefully at 8 Spruce and 1WTC

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 6:51 PM

It's been a long time coming. Hopefully I'll make it there later this year.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 7:36 PM

Looks great! Can't wait to visit!

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 9:41 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Official 11 Year Time-lapse Movie of One World Trade Center

Published: May 28, 2015 :: EarthCam

Video Link

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 10:51 PM

the blue spire would probably stand out more without those damned awful construction lights... seriously when are they going to get rid of those? They can still install lighting before accommodating tenants, right?

Manhattan by Rose, on Flickr

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Visiting One World Trade Center before it opens to the public

Video Link
Wow! What a great video! Gosh! It's so beautiful!! I am really like it lots. It look much better than the Empire State Building.

Thank you for sharing the pictures & video, and especially for NYguy. I am really appreciate that and I know you can count on it. We will definitely to go to New York sometime in the future. I can't wait to go up the top floors.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 4:36 PM
Resident Moron

Made it last night, its a wonderful experience in the observatory.

Fantastic views, really beautiful inside and the experience is very well done.

couple of points: the bar area is nice, the super pricey restraint should be avoided at all costs. It was like 3 hours to get a steak and salad.

Second: the ring of TV monitors and the guys talking in them need to go. They really take away from the experience. They loudly talk about pizza and new yorkers being mean and don't of stereotypes very loudly. The screens are also so bright that they cause massive reflections on the windows at night.

Overall its a super great experience, glad I got in on day 1.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 7:00 PM

Yeah, looking forward to the day they get rid of those construction lights. They are just awful looking south at 1WTC on Sixth Ave.

Hope to make it to the observatory in a couple weeks.

EDIT: Do the pics of persons putting their nasty feet on the vents annoy anyone else? Its almost like its MY building that I've worked so hard to build, and I'm super protective of it.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post

Overall its a super great experience, glad I got in on day 1.
Great!!! I'm so glad you went up the top of floors. How exciting!!

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 4:33 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
EDIT: Do the pics of persons putting their nasty feet on the vents annoy anyone else? Its almost like its MY building that I've worked so hard to build, and I'm super protective of it.
That's not even half of it.

Finally made it up there today, took a million pics which I will post some of in a day or so. But a couple of things to get off my chest.

Some of you may know I've been a big defender of tourists here in the city. But I've never been around a group of ruder people than I saw today. How dare you sit you big fat ass on a vent, blocking the view, having a snack, while people struggle to take pics around you. Yes, people were lounging around blocking the vents like they were at home or in a park. Someone has to get this under control, or those vents will be broken within a week. It's not fair for someone to have to pay $32 to get up there, only to have to struggle around people for the slightest glimpse of the skyline. And no one under 5 years old should be allowed up there. That's it, I'm drawing the line. (I would make it 10, but that may be too much). These parents don't know how to control these brats, they shouldn't ruin the experience for everyone else.

My other problem is with the que system. I understand it's newly opened, and they're trying to figure out the best system still (today's system was apparently different from yesterday's). You're directed to one lane, only to be told you're in the wrong lane once you get up front. And don't bother trying to get there early to beat the crowds. Doesn't matter.

All in all though, it was great to finally be back up on a World Trade Center observation deck! It's been too long! And now we wait for the decks at 30 Hudson and One Vanderbilt.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did you not expect us to ruin your view?"

"Excuse us as we rest our tired, tourists butts. You can get the view another time."

Some pics from yesterday shows that if you build it, they will come. So much for the fearmongers...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 12:56 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Some of you may know I've been a big defender of tourists here in the city. But I've never been around a group of ruder people than I saw today. How dare you sit you big fat ass on a vent, blocking the view, having a snack, while people struggle to take pics around you. Yes, people were lounging around blocking the vents like they were at home or in a park. Someone has to get this under control, or those vents will be broken within a week. It's not fair for someone to have to pay $32 to get up there, only to have to struggle around people for the slightest glimpse of the skyline. And no one under 5 years old should be allowed up there. That's it, I'm drawing the line. (I would make it 10, but that may be too much). These parents don't know how to control these brats, they shouldn't ruin the experience for everyone else.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did you not expect us to ruin your view?"

"Excuse us as we rest our tired, tourists butts. You can get the view another time."
Cordons / barrier ropes placed on the vents would do wonders in this case. That's the only solution I see here.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 3:25 PM

The observation deck looks like "for sure" the hottest ticket in town. I'm not surprised though, that whole area is going to be filled with tourists like Times Square going forward. With the Memorial, the Memorial Museum, and now the observation deck on 1WTC its going to be a pretty much must visit area for serious tourists. At the very least you could spend half a day there. When people are scaling the flowerbeds you know things are nuts.

As far as the vents go, they do look obtrusive. I don't remember that being a problem at the Sears Tower observation deck, but I could be wrong. If tourists ding them up enough maybe they'll get rid of them.

Last edited by Onn; May 31, 2015 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 3:58 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

can someone do a seperate full thread of the observation deck experience and views? thanks

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 12:29 AM

Restaurant looks very underwhelming.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 1:42 AM

I went opening night. I want to Echo exactly what NY Guy say.

First, the lines outside. Skip them. Here's a pro-tip for how to visit:

What they want you to do is queue on Vessey street, until they open one of two queues (ex. 7:00pm and 7:15pm) where you then wait in another line before entering and descending to yet another line. You can skip both by entering from the West street tunnel entrance (the tunnel linking the PATH to the Financial Center / Brookfield Place) at your designated arrival time. You'll cut the line of everyone waiting outside and upstairs and the wait will only be about 10 minutes to security. Don't show up early and wait around. Just come right when you're supposed to and you can walk right in. The people outside said that entrance was closed but it was a lie.

Next, all the damn people sitting in the window really killed it for me.

Here is a photo of the observation deck in 2 WTC:

Source: C.Y.Leow

The way they did it was perfect. You could sit and face out the window, you could get up close, or you could stand behind and see above the people next to the windows. There were also places to sit.

The new One World Observatory has none of those things. So instead you have hundreds of tourists who camp out in a window and just sit there... They sit on their phones texting and not even looking outside.

The City Pulse things have got to go. They take up a ton of space, and the screens are obnoxiously bright. Look up at the tower at night from anywhere within a few miles and you can see the north and south corners lit up from those damn things. Also, since the building is turned 45 degrees at the top from the base, the only view directly up town is from 2 small windows squeezed behind a City Pulse. I had to wait and squeeze in a line of people to get a chance to look out that window and even then I had to lean over some teenaged girl who was just sitting in the window texting her friends.

The food options were also pretty bad. You had either a super expensive restaurant, a moderately expensive bar, or the casual eatery which was small and only had some pastries, and some probably overpriced "artisan" pizzas and pre-made sandwiches. Again there was pretty much no seating available, instead just a few standing bar tops.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 2:34 AM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
As far as the vents go, they do look obtrusive. I don't remember that being a problem at the Sears Tower observation deck, but I could be wrong. If tourists ding them up enough maybe they'll get rid of them.
Sears has railings in front of theirs.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 2:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
I went opening night. I want to Echo exactly what NY Guy say.

First, the lines outside. Skip them. Here's a pro-tip for how to visit:

What they want you to do is queue on Vessey street, until they open one of two queues (ex. 7:00pm and 7:15pm) where you then wait in another line before entering and descending to yet another line. You can skip both by entering from the West street tunnel entrance (the tunnel linking the PATH to the Financial Center / Brookfield Place) at your designated arrival time.

I didn't realize that until I was on my way out. Had totally forgotten about the concourse entrance to this building.

Quote:
Next, all the damn people sitting in the window really killed it for me.

Here is a photo of the observation deck in 2 WTC:

Source: C.Y.Leow

The way they did it was perfect. You could sit and face out the window, you could get up close, or you could stand behind and see above the people next to the windows. There were also places to sit.

The new One World Observatory has none of those things. So instead you have hundreds of tourists who camp out in a window and just sit there... They sit on their phones texting and not even looking outside.

Exactly. What was their purpose for going up if not to enjoy the view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
can someone do a seperate full thread of the observation deck experience and views? thanks
I'll post some photos and clips in a separate thread for the deck.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...91#post7045991

Last edited by NYguy; Jun 1, 2015 at 3:19 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 4:50 PM

I agree 110% NY Guy..

Then again, its only been open for like, a week now, so I'm sure building maintenance employees are currently taking notes and will be bringing forth solutions for these issues as time progresses...

On another note, has the Chinese business and other companies aside from Conde moved into the building yet?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 6:00 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

Besides Conde, couple of tech, finance, and advertising companies companies moved it. Mostly mid sized firms.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture