HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post

Ooh my word HossC! How do you do that?
I have to credit odinthor with most of the heavy lifting on this one. I had a quick look for the location when e_r first posted his photo, but it wasn't until odinthor moved the search up to Santa Monica that things started to fall into place.

BTW Noir_Noir, you've been doing some pretty good sleuthing yourself recently, so I just wanted to get in on the action .

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 7:45 PM
BANNED

old file vault

Annette Funicello with her custom painted 1957 Thunderbird, around 1963. Can you can dig it.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 8:05 PM

From this...

To this?

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/vide...ood-boulevard/

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...ljqWA/viewform

P.S.: The link in the feedback area to view the masterplan isn't working at the moment and I couldn't find it in a search, either, but I informed the CBS webpage about it.

Edit to Add: The link above to the Feedback Area has another link to the masterplan which is incorrect. That hasn't been changed yet...but here is the correct link to the masterplan:

https://heartofhollywood.la/walk-fame

It's got a lot of information, maps, graphics overlays on aerials, photos, ideas etc.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Feb 1, 2020 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Add correct link...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 8:53 PM

Though I wouldn't want to see a proliferation of traffic-restricted or pedestrian-only streets, I myself would be guardedly optimistic about this sort of thing for Hollywood Blvd. and, say, one of the DTLA "name" streets (Broadway or Spring), via my experience with such particularly in Stockholm (Gamla Stan) and Copenhagen. It shifts the atmosphere of the environment back to the diversity of people and away from cold steel on wheels. It gives a general more relaxed and sociable feeling. Traffic-y streets give the pedestrian a feeling of being out of place and subordinate.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 9:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

Though I wouldn't want to see a proliferation of traffic-restricted or pedestrian-only streets, I myself would be guardedly optimistic about this sort of thing for Hollywood Blvd. and, say, one of the DTLA "name" streets (Broadway or Spring), via my experience with such particularly in Stockholm (Gamla Stan) and Copenhagen. It shifts the atmosphere of the environment back to the diversity of people and away from cold steel on wheels. It gives a general more relaxed and sociable feeling. Traffic-y streets give the pedestrian a feeling of being out of place and subordinate.
Its very difficult to find a place to park your car in Hollywood. But I do like the additional trees....which will require a lot of maintenance...$$$.

So what do they plan....eliminate hundreds of parking places. The businesses on Hollywood Blvd will not like that.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jan 31, 2020 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 9:58 PM

I see you all have been quite busy since yesterday!

Thanks for working together and finding the location of my mislabeled mystery snapshot.

I really appreciate it.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Its very difficult to find a place to park your car in Hollywood. But I do like the additional trees....which will require a lot of maintenance...$$$.

So what do they plan....eliminate hundreds of parking places. The businesses on Hollywood Blvd will not like that.
Hmmm, I think there's a subway line that runs right under Hollywood Blvd.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 3:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
Hmmm, I think there's a subway line that runs right under Hollywood Blvd.
Yes, its called the B Line. [it used to be called the Red Line].

It has three stops along Hollywood Blvd. It turns North just after Highland and heads up to the North Hollywood area.

extravaganza

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch2000 View Post
The clues are the building marked 'Ivar' in the mid ground, the bend in the road to its right, and in the distance the film vault building on Highland. Beyond that you can see Park La Brea in the distance so we are in Hollywood looking South-West.

I assume that the building with the "IVAR" is on Ivar street, and the bend is located between Selma and Sunset, so this photographer is likely on a building at Hollywood & Vine, looking SW.
Thanks Arch2000.

Yes, I noticed the Ivar right off the bat. This was when it was a legitimate theater with plays (before it became a nudie girl theater that featured camera nights on Sundays and Tuesdays).
I believe the Ivar opened in 1951, soooo that helps date the photograph. (I had previously mentioned that the date might be late 1940s)
I thought the tall building in the middle-distance was the Hollywood Athletic Club. I also thought the extra-tall building in the far-distance was the storage building on Highland.
Obviously my sense of direction sucks ....isn't the best in the world.

Also. . .
I'm surprised the gas-o-meter is still there. I've forgotten when it was dismantled. (I'm sure we've discussed this numerous times on the thread)

For newbies, newcomers and people with bad memories. me

Here is the Ivar as a legitimate theater in the 1960s.

thisstage.la

And as a 'girlie' theater in the 1970s & 80s.

LOSANGELESTHEATERS.............................................................................................................................................................................................................(they spelled 'totally' wrong)

For awhile there was a dismantled helicopter on the roof. I have no idea why.

losangelestheaters

This last image is interesting because the parking lot is the same one that's visible in the eBay photo.

1980 photo by Matt Sweeney LINK

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 1, 2020 at 5:03 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 6:49 AM

mystery aerial

This is an undated Dick Whittington photo from USC captioned "Unknown location in Los Angeles County. Streetscape. Horizontal photography."

USC Digital Library

Note the giant parking lots.

Here's an enlargement of the major intersection at the mid-right edge; lots of gas stations on each corner.

Last edited by Lorendoc; Feb 1, 2020 at 7:05 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 6:21 PM

I've been going through some old files of mine.

Here's a remarkable eBay find from years ago. I can't remember if I have already posted it but it's soooo amazing I decided to post it anyway.

ELK'S ROOF GARDEN, LOS ANGELES CAL............................................................................................

old file

Unless I'm mistaken this is the Elk's Club right next to Angels Flight. Can you imagine looking over the edge and watching 'Olivet' and 'Sinai' going up and down the incline.

the reverse.

old file

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Miss Short is at the right side by the man with dark glasses. Sad, it was one of her last days on this earth. RIP Elizabeth.
I'm intrigued by the gal near the lower right with eyeglasses and a light-colored suit jacket. She's got a ciggie hanging out of her mouth that looks nearly as big as a cigar.
Those born after 1990 have no idea how commonplace cigarette smoking was in the 1940's through 1970's. Restaurants & virtually all eating establishments, waiting rooms, movie theatres, hotels, planes, buses, trains etc. almost all had air hazy & smelly with cigarette smoke. Most everyone just accepted it because you couldn't get away from it. How many hotel and motel rooms do I remember that reeked liked dirty ashtrays? Thank gawd them days are over.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
From this...

To this?

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/vide...ood-boulevard/

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...ljqWA/viewform

P.S.: The link in the feedback area to view the masterplan isn't working at the moment and I couldn't find it in a search, either, but I informed the CBS webpage about it.

Edit to Add: The link above to the Feedback Area has another link to the masterplan which is incorrect. That hasn't been changed yet...but here is the correct link to the masterplan:

https://heartofhollywood.la/walk-fame

It's got a lot of information, maps, graphics overlays on aerials, photos, ideas etc.

Just posting this again as I added the correct link to the masterplan booklet, FYI.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 5:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
I'm intrigued by the gal near the lower right with eyeglasses and a light-colored suit jacket. She's got a ciggie hanging out of her mouth that looks nearly as big as a cigar.
Those born after 1990 have no idea how commonplace cigarette smoking was in the 1940's through 1970's. Restaurants & virtually all eating establishments, waiting rooms, movie theatres, hotels, planes, buses, trains etc. almost all had air hazy & smelly with cigarette smoke. Most everyone just accepted it because you couldn't get away from it. How many hotel and motel rooms do I remember that reeked liked dirty ashtrays? Thank gawd them days are over.
I looked at that photo again and that white thing may be an extension of the railing behind her. The photo is rather blurry. Yes, people smoking was an annoyance to me for many years.
Thanks Jeff for your comment.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Feb 2, 2020 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 9:39 PM

The First Super Bowl

On the topic of cigarettes and since it's Super Bowl Sunday, here's a shot of Kansas City quarterback Len Dawson at halftime of the first edition of the game played January 15, 1967 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. You have to love the contrast between these humble surroundings in the visitor's locker room at the Coliseum and what it must look like today in Miami. Safe to say that the players will sit on something more elaborate than a folding chair and the halftime ritual won't include either a bottle of Fresca or a cigarette. This photo looks almost noirish.

Yahoo

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 1:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
On the topic of cigarettes and since it's Super Bowl Sunday, here's a shot of Kansas City quarterback Len Dawson at halftime of the first edition of the game played January 15, 1967 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. You have to love the contrast between these humble surroundings in the visitor's locker room at the Coliseum and what it must look like today in Miami. Safe to say that the players will sit on something more elaborate than a folding chair and the halftime ritual won't include either a bottle of Fresca or a cigarette. This photo looks almost noirish.
Dawson is now 84 years old. He had a radical prostatectomy in 1991.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 3:06 AM

This is the first time we have seen this apartment building on NLA. (I checked twice)

The Crestmont Arms, Los Angeles [1929]

eBay

The location is just off a curve on Sunset Blvd. at 1519-1525 Griffith Park Blvd.

The building is some distance from the street so it's a bit difficult to get a good look. (the overgrown tree that has engulfed gate also hinders the view )

gsv

The gray building on the left is a gas station in the 1929 photograph.

aerial

google_aerial

I believe this short stretch of Griffith Park Blvd. is now closed to traffic.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
This is the first time we have seen this apartment building on NLA. (I checked twice)

The Crestmont Arms, Los Angeles [1929]

eBay

The location is just off a curve on Sunset Blvd. at 1519-1525 Griffith Park Blvd.

The building is some distance from the street so it's a bit difficult to get a good look. (the overgrown tree that has engulfed gate also hinders the view )

gsv

The gray building on the left is a gas station in the 1929 photograph.

aerial

google_aerial

I believe this short stretch of Griffith Park Blvd. is now closed to traffic.

Looking at the Crestmont I can remember it well in the 50's-60's. The park is still accross the street, the one story brick building next to the Crestmont was Crestmont Auto Parts (bought lots of parts there), the brick building next to a parking lot at one time, if I remember correctly, was an A&P market at one time.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 5:34 AM

Thanks for the follow-up, Hollywood Graham. Interesting details.

"Antique 1909 Oakland BPOE Drill Team In Los Angeles California Panoramic Photo".........................................................................................................................................................................

Link

I thought if we all work together we might be able to figure out where in Los Angeles this panorama of the Oakland BPOE Drill Team was taken.

Does the house ring any bells?

detail

And here's the view down the street on the right.

detail

And now the left.

detail

As you can see there is a two-story commerce building and houses along the cross street.

The 171 banner, the banner carrier & a close-up of eight of the 'squires'.

detail of detail

And, finally, here is what's written in white along the bottom of the photograph.

the photographer

Good luck, minions.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 4, 2020 at 5:55 AM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 1:59 PM

e_r, the main event, a big parade, of a major national BPOE event took place on July 15, 1909, through "the streets of Los Angeles," as various articles seemed to want to express it (as opposed to the details of which streets were on the route); one gathers that the main reviewing stand was on Broadway. But of course the picture was likely not on the march route but rather just some convenient place to pose.

The photography was perhaps due to the fact that this drill team was honored as the best:

LA Herald, 7/16/1909

And here they are, showing off at Ascot Park:

LA Herald, 7/18/1909

So does any of this have bearing on where the pic was taken? Sigh, no, probably not . . .

Last edited by odinthor; Feb 4, 2020 at 4:31 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos