HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:38 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There's also a Gimli Fish in Transcona now too! Although it's not to open air market with catch of the day, still gets you fish. I believe you can also special order from them. Or at least ask if they have certain types of fish that could be brought in.
My basic desire is something that provides the atmosphere and energy of a public market. But maybe I've been tainted by travel and watching too much Parts Unknown.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Gimli fish was caught selling mis-labelled fish a few years back, claiming Manitoba pickerel but really out of Europe. Saying it must have been an error, despite it being the case in all their stores, and despite it being brought to their attention months earlier by an employee and ignored.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/local-fi...abel-1.2304760
sounds very fishy. I'll bet they are not even from Gimli.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 7:28 PM

I'd like to see something along the lines of the Milwaukee public market. It was built in 2005 at a cost of 10M, i think the area could definitely support something on this scale, especially given how popular farmers markets have been downtown in recent years.

https://milwaukeepublicmarket.org/

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 7:33 PM

^ It's actually surprising that we don't have a big permanent market like that. All we have is the St. Norbert market. I think The Forks Market could have played that role, but it's unlikely that they would ever go from being the quasi-retail mall they are now to being a food market.

Something like the Milwaukee market would be perfect for the Marketlands site. It could fit into the northernmost 1/3 of the block.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 7:44 PM

That would be amazing – the good thing about something like that with kiosks is that it can be a mix of food and retail. Would be good for local artisans/makers to have a little shop.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 7:57 PM

The number one major set back for The Forks is it's isolated location from the rest of Downtown. A food market is going to thrive on 6-7 day a week activity and will heavily rely on foot traffic from the surrounding population. Being that many of a food market's items are perishable (cheese, meats, fish, baked goods) the office worker lunch time crowd and permanent residential population is key to it's success. The Forks market is too segregated from that downtown lunch time office crowd, on a one hour lunch break it's too far of a walk especially in winter. I could see things changing in the future as the forks better integrates it's connectivity with the downtown and grows it's residential population and relays less on being a drive to destination.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
That would be amazing – the good thing about something like that with kiosks is that it can be a mix of food and retail. Would be good for local artisans/makers to have a little shop.
Agreed, i could see many businesses setting up a satellite location, like some of the fantastic bakeries that have opened over the years or coffee shops, meat/butcher deli, Bothwell cheese...

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 8:24 PM
What could go wrong?

Wow, spend a little time and cruise around in the Historic Third Ward area of Milwaukee on Google Earth. What a great neighborhood (similar to the Exchange). Also love how they utilize their waterways, 5 -10 storey apartments all along, boat parking. I know our river water levels fluctuate a lot but we could be a little more creative in living along them. I will have to visit this area.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Ok then where is my fish market with the catch of the day?

Edit: sorry for sounding snarky. I feel like if there's a fishing industry here it is severely underrepresented and impossible to find. (Almost)
That was the point I was trying to get across. There are many fish here but they are poorly promoted. If only we could have them in markets and restaurants on a bigger scale.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Wow, spend a little time and cruise around in the Historic Third Ward area of Milwaukee on Google Earth. What a great neighborhood (similar to the Exchange). Also love how they utilize their waterways, 5 -10 storey apartments all along, boat parking. I know our river water levels fluctuate a lot but we could be a little more creative in living along them. I will have to visit this area.
It's totally worth a visit! My wife and I were in Milwaukee a couple of years ago and we loved it. There's definitely a great small city "vibe" there that we felt could be emulated in Winnipeg. Also, go to dinner at The Safe House, a very fun theme restaurant (with great burgers).

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 5:41 PM
BANNED

^ multiple chefs I know have also complained about how they would like to feature more Manitoba fish on menus but how many difficulties there are getting it...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 6:08 PM

Considering the proximity to one of the largest fresh water lakes in the world and that the commercial fishery is producing more fish now then anytime in it's history, local fish should be more of a staple in the southern Manitoba diet. in recent years The lake is producing unheard of yields of bigger meaty fish.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 6:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It is an excellent model. I have been there only once but man what a great city.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 8:16 PM

I think now that the freshwater fish marketing corporation is out of Manitoba, we hopefully may see more types of fish on the market. I just hope Lake Winnipeg survives. Commercial fresh water fishing is so behind in Manitoba.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 6:58 PM

The FFM is not out of Manitoba, it just no longer has a monopoly. Unfortunately, nothing effective has yet emerged to pick up the slack.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 7:05 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

will take time to replace ffm with competitive entities as all the folks that knew how to run and do that sorta buisnes are all retired or passed away as the change happend so long ago

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 7:25 AM

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 5:42 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 6:13 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Goodbye Public Safety Building.

I saved a picture of it just in case I wanna look at it sometimes.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 7:10 PM

So there will be affordable housing there? What exactly does that mean? Subsidized housing controlled by Manitoba housing? Seems like a weird place to put affordable housing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan