HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 2:41 PM

^Thanks for sharing that. Interesting read. If Minneapolis can rank no. 1 in the US, there's no reason why Winnipeg can't become a better city for cycling. The flat topography and relatively short distances between most areas really make the city ideal for cycling.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 3:58 PM

^Totally, especially when you consider outside of Central Minneapolis (Downtown/Uptown/Dinkytown/UM) the entire MSP area is pretty spread out.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 1:13 AM

The Wolseley to Downtown Bike Walk recommended design has been announced. The loss of some on-street parking and the one-way sections will be controversial for sure.

Report is here: https://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/...eportFINAL.pdf

Video here:

Video Link

https://youtu.be/uDjZq4-uTGU

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 1:25 PM

^^I ride that stretch frequently and I think it's mostly fine the way it is. Two exceptions: the bridge over Omand's Creek is too low and turning left to SB Maryland during rush hour is the shits (from either Wolseley or Westminster).

But I guess I should have gone to the open house to voice my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 4:08 PM

^Yeah, the Omands bridge is mentioned in the report, but is not addressed in this design.
I personally find riding westbound on Westminster between Sherbrook and Maryland can be unsafe with turning cars in the curb lane and the parked cars on the north side of the street, etc.
Also, would be nice to get rid of some of the 4 ways stops on Westminster and replace with roundabouts, or bump-outs or some other traffic calming measure other than stop signs.
But yeah, overall it's pretty good as is.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 7:03 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
^^I ride that stretch frequently and I think it's mostly fine the way it is. Two exceptions: the bridge and over Omand's Creek is too low and turning left to SB Maryland during rush hour is the shits (from either Wolseley or Westminster).

But I guess I should have gone to the open house to voice my opinion.
I agree. I think it’s a waste of our minuscule cycling infrastructure budget to build bike lanes on residential streets. Put them on the major streets where the dangers exist.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 9:34 PM
BANNED

I don't think that's the way we should be approaching this. we should be building infrastructure that is AAA (all ages and abilities). that is the model that Vancouver, North Vancouver, Saskatoon, Victoria are following. build separated infrastructure where there is the least amount of risk for those who are most vulnerable. that means totally separated infrastructure and definitely not on truck routes...

this plan is still completely deficient. how much safer is a shared greenway going to make it for people on recumbent bikes or children. who is going to be more likely to ride on the road when the improvements are signs and a speed bump? nothing to help prevent people from getting plowed down by a drunk driver/speeder/bad driver. we need to be building cycling infrastructure where people feel as safe as possible until car drivers can prove that they can safely share the road.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 11:50 PM
Formerly rypinion

I attended a tech conference at CanadInns Polo in June and it gave me an opportunity to bike Wolseley during rush hour. I think one big benefit of bike lanes to the east will be to allow bikes to queue up in their own lane at lights instead of being stuck behind a million cars. There were a ton of bikes but the cars were definitely slowing them down significantly.

That one time I rode I definitely would have been two lights faster at Maryland if bikes were able to "queue jump".

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I agree. I think it’s a waste of our minuscule cycling infrastructure budget to build bike lanes on residential streets. Put them on the major streets where the dangers exist.
It's really not about bicycles. It's about getting through traffic off the streets. Guess what? It's going to affect Transit service in those areas too.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:02 PM

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/city-com...tory-1.4759022

Quote:
WINNIPEG -- Bike thefts is a problem all too familiar for Winnipeggers and if a bike is stolen, it's often difficult to trace it back to its rightful owner.

The city is now stepping in to make it more difficult to sell stolen bikes.

The standing policy committee on protection, community services, and parks passed a motion Wednesday to make bike registration mandatory.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:10 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Tonnes of older folks showed up at the Westminster United Church tonight to view the plans for the Wolseley bicycle path improvements. There were so many people there that one could not hear the facilitator(s) speaking to the citizens.

Most of those citizens are against the roadway changes around Chestnut St. west of Maryland.

Sadly, CoW underestimated the throngs of citizenry that would show up. Also no local media covered the story.

As a side note, a WT planner was on hand to outline changes to the 71 Arlington route as part of the TMP. It's being proposed to extend the 71 south of Portage to the end of Arlington St. in the Wolseley area.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 6:13 PM

Longitudinal study of protected bike lanes in a number of American cities shows dramatic reduction in fatalities.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/05/...ts-study-says/

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 2:34 AM

I thought this "plain bicycles" project was worth linking here. Basically this is a project that is aiming to normalize more casual cycling culture in Winnipeg which involves commuter riding rather than destination/sport rides. Cheap, comfortable, utilitarian work-horse bikes rather than flashy roadbikes. Basically, trying to shift the culture away from thinking that biking in the city is some kind of extreme hobbyist activity, and towards a more approachable, casual bike culture which demonstrates that everyone can bike for their commuting, whether they're "super into it" or not.

https://www.plainbicycle.org/

Part of what they do is bring over used comfortable casual commuter bikes from the Netherlands to Winnipeg in bulk so that people here can purchase a commuting-friendly bike and spread the word. They do this because the kind of casual bike that is so common in Amsterdam isn't really sold in Winnipeg so much, the bulk of bikes sold being either flashy cyclocross/roadbikes, or mountain bikes.

I saw this first part of a series of podcasts about the project posted on twitter and thought folks here might wanna check it out:
https://pod.link/1510268605

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 4:59 AM
surely you agree with me

Great podcast. I recommend listening.

I got one of these bikes last summer just because I thought it would be cool. I had just bought an expensive upright bike that I liked. Good suspension. Lots of gears. Once I got that old beat up bike I never rode the other one. It changed my life. I became a bike evangelist. Sold my car. There’s nothing like it. You have to try it to believe it.

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 4:19 PM
Formerly rypinion

I got a dutch bike as part of Plain Bicycle's first shipment and it's great. It really makes all of downtown close (to me living in east exchange).

It's as easy and quick to hop on and ride as it is to leave home for a walk (unlike most North American bikes), but you are twice as fast otherwise, while still slow enough that you can take in what's happening on the street.

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 9:37 PM

What are the Vegas odds at for the chances McDermot & Albert gets ripped up again for the 5th time since summer 2018? The surface of the intersection is almost completely gone (especially through bike lane) which is crazy considering how much repairs have been done in every direction around it.

Obby is going to lose it.

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
What are the Vegas odds at for the chances McDermot & Albert gets ripped up again for the 5th time since summer 2018? The surface of the intersection is almost completely gone (especially through bike lane) which is crazy considering how much repairs have been done in every direction around it.

No one has the right to peace and quiet.

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 10:09 PM

Business owners actually do have some rights with regards to undue hardship and stress placed on their businesses by the city.

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

What happened to the pavement?

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 4:09 PM

Active transport

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan