HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 8:54 PM

Winning group has been chosen.

http://www.leaderpost.com/news/regin...353/story.html

Quote:
SaskLink Global Transportation Partners (SGTP) includes these companies:

VINCI

GraCorp Capital

Parsons

Graham

Carmacks

McElhanney

Urban Systems

Buckland and Taylor

exp

Clifton Assoc.

Delcan

National Bank

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Can't wait to see the documents! Also heard that the farm north of the city for the Highway 11 / WB interchange will be torn down in Late August.
Actually, construction of the Pinky/Highway 11 interchange is to start during the first week of July and the owners are to have vacated the site by Sept 1st. After Sept 1st, the farmsite will vanish forever. (Even though the details of sale of that parcel/adjacent lands hasn't been finalized yet.)

Also, the small chicken plant to the south needs to go as well; I didn't know that until yesterday.

That interchange will require one hell of a pile of work!!! Huh.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Actually, construction of the Pinky/Highway 11 interchange is to start during the first week of July and the owners are to have vacated the site by Sept 1st. After Sept 1st, the farmsite will vanish forever. (Even though the details of sale of that parcel/adjacent lands hasn't been finalized yet.)

Also, the small chicken plant to the south needs to go as well; I didn't know that until yesterday.

That interchange will require one hell of a pile of work!!! Huh.
From what I heard the owners are older and plan to move to the city with the windfall from the sale of the land and the farm. It is however one of the oldest homesteads in the province.

But yes that interchange will be MASSIVE. That flyover ramp will need to be about 8-10m clearance as its west side will have to cross over the eventual NE bypass leg. Which will already be elevated to cross Highway 11 at likely 5.6m

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 5:23 PM

Quote:
From what I heard the owners are older and plan to move to the city with the windfall from the sale of the land and the farm. It is however one of the oldest homesteads in the province.

But yes that interchange will be MASSIVE. That flyover ramp will need to be about 8-10m clearance as its west side will have to cross over the eventual NE bypass leg. Which will already be elevated to cross Highway 11 at likely 5.6m
Yes, it is one of the oldest homesteads in SK. The principal owner is a widow. Windfall? You don't know the details of the circumstance of what is happening there like I do. There are details about this circumstance that I can't/won't post on here. (The son who operates that farm is one of my best friends - whom I've known since '86.)

However, you are very correct about the fact that this will be a massive interchange - with regards to area.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Yes, it is one of the oldest homesteads in SK. The principal owner is a widow. Windfall? You don't know the details of the circumstance of what is happening there like I do. There are details about this circumstance that I can't/won't post on here. (The son who operates that farm is one of my best friends - whom I've known since '86.)

However, you are very correct about the fact that this will be a massive interchange - with regards to area.
Fair enough, I will leave the situation of the owners alone as I only know what I was told. I for sure know from what I was told that they had to be out by the end of August, and that it was one of the oldest homesteads. That you have confirmed. It is sad to hear that there were underlying circumstances.

I expect the interchange to look a lot like this one...

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.84646...4VoN2uo7jg!2e0

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Fair enough, I will leave the situation of the owners alone as I only know what I was told. I for sure know from what I was told that they had to be out by the end of August, and that it was one of the oldest homesteads. That you have confirmed. It is sad to hear that there were underlying circumstances.

Is there any change of Rochdale connecting to Albert/11 at some point, even a right-lane only turn? I can't see how, but it really sucks how far out some of those places are from Pasqua St. I know Argyle being extended north will help a bit in terms of getting into the area, but it's still kind of a crappy area in terms of access.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 9:21 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't it need to be more something like this? Just thinking they won't have to extend the road past highway 11 for a long time. Again, just a thought.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.98629.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
Wouldn't it need to be more something like this? Just thinking they won't have to extend the road past highway 11 for a long time. Again, just a thought.

Here is the design that was proposed. I expect it will be a lot like this:

http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/adx/as...osed_Hwy11.pdf

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post

That design would mean realigning the existing lanes of 11. It would then also have to be rebuilt when they do extend the bypass north.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Is there any change of Rochdale connecting to Albert/11 at some point, even a right-lane only turn? I can't see how, but it really sucks how far out some of those places are from Pasqua St. I know Argyle being extended north will help a bit in terms of getting into the area, but it's still kind of a crappy area in terms of access.
No. Check it out. Rochdale will end at a condo development.
http://www.hawkstoneregina.ca/concept-plan

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Here is the design that was proposed. I expect it will be a lot like this:

http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/adx/as...osed_Hwy11.pdf
Good work! That's pretty well what the interchange would look like - based on the drawings I've seen.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
No. Check it out. Rochdale will end at a condo development.
http://www.hawkstoneregina.ca/concept-plan
There's a noise barrier-type fence that has been completed along the eastern perimeter of Argyle Park; no gaps. (At this point in time.)

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 4:52 PM
BANNED

There will never be a connection to Albert St between Highway 11 and Ring Road, mainly for safety reasons. I could see them *maybe* building a flyover to 12th Ave N, considering the upgrades they are making to Winnipeg St in the near future, but the people living along 12th probably wouldn't like all that traffic heading to and from the north industrial area from the NW.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 5:22 PM

It would be the same argument made by the residents of Douglas Park when the city proposed the Assiniboine Ave flyover. Everyone wants to live in a 'quiet community' and no one cares about traffic inefficiencies.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
There will never be a connection to Albert St between Highway 11 and Ring Road, mainly for safety reasons. I could see them *maybe* building a flyover to 12th Ave N, considering the upgrades they are making to Winnipeg St in the near future, but the people living along 12th probably wouldn't like all that traffic heading to and from the north industrial area from the NW.
That is correct. The highways ministry rejected this several times in the last 20 years.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 7:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
It would be the same argument made by the residents of Douglas Park when the city proposed the Assiniboine Ave flyover. Everyone wants to live in a 'quiet community' and no one cares about traffic inefficiencies.
I do disagree with the Douglas Park concerns. It would be a lot easier to shortcut down Rochdale and 12th to Winnipeg, than it would be for folks east of Ring Road to shortcut down Assiniboine through Doublas Park to presumably head downtown.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 3:29 AM

Could someone remind me why Tower Road is the best location for the bypass, in terms of infrastructure layout? Is it to avoid difficulties with the railroad tracks?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
Could someone remind me why Tower Road is the best location for the bypass, in terms of infrastructure layout? Is it to avoid difficulties with the railroad tracks?
My impression is subjective here: I think Tower Road was the longitudinal choice because it would work out the most harmoniously with the [future?] NE section of the new perimeter highway. Other than that, I think the SE section could have been moved eastward.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
The further east you go the more expensive it comes. There needs to be a certain separation distance between the highway and the tracks so to move them sufficiently east you'd be adding (presumably) over $100,000,000 to the cost.

The City of Regina is effectively treating the Bypass as a border with only light industrial being placed on the outside. If you look at the City's growth plan there will be no more residential development east of Tower Road in the next ~50 years.

The main reason to move further east is to benefit folks in the RM of Edenwold (White City/Balgonie/Pilot Butte/Emerald Park) who are effectively paying 0.1% of the cost of the project. The City is kind of getting raked over the coals financially since the project is mainly to benefit the trucking industry and the RM of Edenwold yet they're contributing a grand total of 0.1% of the cost of the project yet Regina is expected to pick up tens/hundreds of millions.

Since Regina is paying far more per capita than the RM of Edenwold is it's only natural that the project design takes into account City concerns over RM concerns.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
The main reason to move further east is to benefit folks in the RM of Edenwold (White City/Balgonie/Pilot Butte/Emerald Park) who are effectively paying 0.1% of the cost of the project. The City is kind of getting raked over the coals financially since the project is mainly to benefit the trucking industry and the RM of Edenwold yet they're contributing a grand total of 0.1% of the cost of the project yet Regina is expected to pick up tens/hundreds of millions.

Since Regina is paying far more per capita than the RM of Edenwold is it's only natural that the project design takes into account City concerns over RM concerns.
Thank you, couldn't have said it better myself. Social media is full of White City/Emerald Park residents complaining about this, yet they have next to no financial interest in it's construction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan