HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 4:23 PM

It would be nice to maybe start a thread about the mayoral race so we all have a place to share news about the upcoming election and info on the candidates running.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 12:56 AM
James

H-E-B snags 24-acre lot near planned retail development on San Antonio’s South Side

Quote:
The San Antonio-based supermarket chain does not have immediate plans for the lot, H-E-B spokeswoman Dya Campos said. Campos would not say how much the company paid for the property, which sits on the northwest corner of the intersection at Loop 410 and Roosevelt Avenue on the city’s South Side.

Dallas-based Stream Realty is marketing the intersection as a potential mixed-use development including retail and multifamily housing on behalf of limited partnership WE-Roosevelt, according to Stream Realty’s website. WE-Roosevelt sold the 24-acre lot to H-E-B.
This location is perfect to blow up, suburban wise. It's not that far from DT, only 7.5 miles straight up and down Roosevelt. Maybe they could make it a little dense... maybe... lol

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 3:21 AM

Interesting article

From the Rivard Report:

https://therivardreport.com/san-anto...ate-investors/

A recent surge in tech-company interest in San Antonio, with smaller-tier companies looking beyond Austin in terms of price point and labor pool, is a sneak peek into that future, Peavy said. The quality of life San Antonio offers is attracting attention.

“We have a huge advantage in that story over the other cities,” he said. “That’s probably our way out of that circular lack of corporations and education thing. Somebody [could] pioneer here and break this circle – move here and take advantage of the quality of life, and the rest will work itself out. We’re probably seeing that more in the tech space now because they are forward-thinking people, so they are pioneering to do that. We’ll probably see it follow in the corporate space.”

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 2:26 PM
Paradise

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like they are changing the zoning to allow for more strip centers in that area. I know it's the 'burbs, but that area had potential.

Quote:
Casey Development, a local firm that owns the iHeartMedia headquarters, is under contract to buy 14 acres next to the booming intersection of Loop 1604 and Interstate 10, said Michael Baucum, an attorney for the property’s current owner.

The property, which has been owned by the Guindi family of Mexico City for decades, is next to the Landmark Centre master-planned community that is being developed at the southeast corner of the intersection. The area is home to the upscale Vista Corporate Center office building that USAA began leasing last fall, as well as several apartment complexes, retail chains and car dealerships. Another high-end office building is under construction, and Zachry Hospitality plans to build a hotel.

The Planning Commission today approved the owner’s request to change the property’s land-use designation from “mixed-use center” to “regional center,” allowing it to be developed for large-scale commercial uses such as big-box retail stores. The planning and zoning decisions are subject to City Council approval.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/real-est...#photo-8279008

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
From the Rivard Report:

https://therivardreport.com/san-anto...ate-investors/

A recent surge in tech-company interest in San Antonio, with smaller-tier companies looking beyond Austin in terms of price point and labor pool, is a sneak peek into that future, Peavy said. The quality of life San Antonio offers is attracting attention.

“We have a huge advantage in that story over the other cities,” he said. “That’s probably our way out of that circular lack of corporations and education thing. Somebody [could] pioneer here and break this circle – move here and take advantage of the quality of life, and the rest will work itself out. We’re probably seeing that more in the tech space now because they are forward-thinking people, so they are pioneering to do that. We’ll probably see it follow in the corporate space.”
Lets hope so, we need it...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
I'm not exactly sad to see this fizzle.
I would love to see this happen. In my opinion, it's just what that area needs. I do like the new Landmark One office building but the Security Services new headquarters building is not impressive. I can't believe that they are allowing a used car lot to come next to I-FLY, what a waste of a prime corner.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 10:45 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
I would love to see this happen. In my opinion, it's just what that area needs. I do like the new Landmark One office building but the Security Services new headquarters building is not impressive. I can't believe that they are allowing a used car lot to come next to I-FLY, what a waste of a prime corner.
Are you talking about Carvana?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Are you talking about Carvana?
No not Carvana, it's called Sonic Automotive, a no-haggle used car company that will be building 5 lots around town.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 5:44 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
No not Carvana, it's called Sonic Automotive, a no-haggle used car company that will be building 5 lots around town.
Just looked it up, they seem to have high end brands. BMW, Jaguar, Lexus etc. I don't see any issue with its location if it's those brands. There's car dealerships all along 10 near 1604.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Just looked it up, they seem to have high end brands. BMW, Jaguar, Lexus etc. I don't see any issue with its location if it's those brands. There's car dealerships all along 10 near 1604.
I was referring to a prime corner, not along the expressways. There is a new BMW dealership under construction next to the Audi/Ferrari dealerships along I-10, which is just fine. It's just my personal opinion, but I would much rather see a 15 story office building than a used car lot there.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 4:13 PM

Here we grow again.

http://woai.iheart.com/articles/loca...-ten-15676367/

Bexar County's growth during the year consisted of about 14,000 more people being born than dying, about 13,000 people moving to the county from other states, and about 5300 people immigrating here from other countries.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 7:23 PM
James

Streaming Service Hulu Expanding Into San Antonio with New Offices

Quote:
The move could bring up to 500 new positions to the city starting this fall, including call center, tech support, management, and software engineering jobs.

“When I led a delegation to California a few weeks ago, this is exactly the outcome we were working toward,” Taylor said. “I understand there are still a few hurdles to cross, but I am excited that Hulu has selected San Antonio for its next major investment.”
I hope they choose a downtown office. We need it!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Streaming Service Hulu Expanding Into San Antonio with New Offices

I hope they choose a downtown office. We need it!
AWESOME!!!

Now this IS great news, and this IS WORTH READING ABOUT!!!
It is not just "another opinion of this or that"!!

And yes jaga, I hope they select a downtown office.
I might even apply for a job there!!!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 5:21 PM

New San Antonio office construction at an all-time high

From the San Antonio Business Journal
Jun 20, 2017, 10:40am CDT

First quarter 2017 saw a record number amount of new office construction in the Alamo City, further proof that the city's economic outlook is strong.

Of the 1.2 million square feet of new office space under construction in San Antonio, 738,000 square feet was started during first quarter 2017 alone, according to the latest office market report from Transwestern.

Major projects include the Frost Tower, which is due in first quarter 2019; Port San Antonio’s Project Tech; and Farinon Business Park’s buildings 2 and 3. Another 2.8 million square feet of office space has been proposed, with over 1 million square feet in the Central Business District, Midtown and North Central submarkets slated to break ground this year.

As quickly as new office space is going up, it is getting filled just as fast.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...-all-time.html

Last edited by babysal; Jun 20, 2017 at 5:32 PM. Reason: adding link to article

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 3:31 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

GrayStreet plans to redevelop 23 acres of neglected land across from the Pearl
By Richard Webner
San Antonio Express-News
June 20, 2017 Updated: June 20, 2017 6:49pm
http://www.expressnews.com/real-esta...photo-13124558

Quote:
Up-and-coming urban builder GrayStreet Partners is undertaking its biggest project yet, redeveloping 23 acres of neglected land across Broadway from the Pearl that would rival the old brewery’s makeover in size.

GrayStreet, which has renovated much of Houston Street downtown into trendy new restaurants and creative office space, wants to do something similar in Government Hill — a 130-year-old neighborhood with a mix of well-kept homes, neglected Victorian mansions, industrial buildings and overgrown lots.

The deal is far from done and will take about a decade to complete. But if GrayStreet gets all the necessary approvals and financing, it plans to turn the property into a mix of apartments, offices, retail shops and parks, managing partner Kevin Covey said.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 4:32 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

SA Missions Moving Up to Triple-A in 2019

Yep...Our San Antonio missions will be moving up to Triple-A baseball and play in the Pacific Coast League in 2019!

San Antonio Missions Advance to Triple-A

I have heard that they will be affiliated with the Texas Rangers. The Round Rock Express will end their affiliation with the Rangers in 2018 and move back to being affiliated with the Houston Astros in 2019.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 12:24 AM

Big Flippin' deal

San Antonio deserves an MLB franchise and nothing less. End of discussion.

Even Centro San Antonio's internal polling show most of our residents are tired of the "better than nothing" attitude moves like this reinforce.

There’s one important lesson we did learn in our local research. San Antonians are not okay with being okay. They want a great city and a great downtown. We are committed to doing everything we possibly can to make it happen and strengthen the brand of San Antonio.

https://therivardreport.com/defines-...o-perspective/

I'm tired of cheering this city being average.

Commenters are now free to lambaste away.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
San Antonio deserves an MLB franchise and nothing less. End of discussion.

Even Centro San Antonio's internal polling show most of our residents are tired of the "better than nothing" attitude moves like this reinforce.

There’s one important lesson we did learn in our local research. San Antonians are not okay with being okay. They want a great city and a great downtown. We are committed to doing everything we possibly can to make it happen and strengthen the brand of San Antonio.

https://therivardreport.com/defines-...o-perspective/

I'm tired of cheering this city being average.

Commenters are now free to lambaste away.
I can't disagree with your overall sentiment, but moving up to AAA is a step towards MLB.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 3:55 PM

It doesn't work that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I can't disagree with your overall sentiment, but moving up to AAA is a step towards MLB.
We have the same chance at MLB whether we have Double A, Triple A or nothing at all.

Even players generally move from Double A to MLB, skipping Triple A altogether.

I, however, do not wish to argue these points again. Good luck to the Missions, and to San Antonio.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 12:07 AM

This is good news

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...b-11254403.php

San Antonio ranked sixth on this list.

From the article:

“San Antonio’s economy has become more diverse and strengthened through increased human capital investment in the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields,” Ramiro Cavazos, CEO and president of the San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, said in an email. “Our wages have become higher because we have an excellent workforce that is in high demand and our proximity to Mexico gives us a valued bilingual workforce in which to conduct business in the 21st century.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio