HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username123 View Post
https://www.midtownatlanta.org/luc_264ponce/

Unfortunately the developers withdrew the application for the project across from Krispy Kreme. NIMBYs got worked up over it. The developers presented new massing, then asked for a thirty day deferral. Then they pulled the rezoning application.
Damn.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
https://www.midtownatlanta.org/luc_264ponce/

Unfortunately the developers withdrew the application for the project across from Krispy Kreme. NIMBYs got worked up over it. The developers presented new massing, then asked for a thirty day deferral. Then they pulled the rezoning application.
Are you freaking kidding me? It's no wonder that Ponce has been so slow to develop. We need a YIMBY movement to promote quality development and rezoning in places where it is appropriate just like Ponce!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Are you freaking kidding me? It's no wonder that Ponce has been so slow to develop. We need a YIMBY movement to promote quality development and rezoning in places where it is appropriate just like Ponce!
To be fair, that second rendering has a terrible massing and giant exposed parking deck. If the developer comes back and copy/pasted J5 at that location, I would be hopeful the neighbors would be pleased. Oh, and if you’re reading, include retail

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
To be fair, that second rendering has a terrible massing and giant exposed parking deck. If the developer comes back and copy/pasted J5 at that location, I would be hopeful the neighbors would be pleased. Oh, and if you’re reading, include retail
Is the rendering available somewhere?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline

And at 35 floors and on a hilltop it should show up nicely in the skyline.

Damn, this city is on fire.
I count 38 based on one of the thumbnails in the article??? I know 27 was what was announced a few months back...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Their massing images definitely went downhill in my opinion, the first had a terraced look. A few months before this developer, Capital City, had their go at the property, Dezhu(the developers behind J5) posted renderings online for the same lot. The plans they put out were nice, and about nine floors tall (three taller than the Capital City plans).

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Is the rendering available somewhere?
They never put out a real rendering, but in the link I posted the original massing is near the bottom under “3-D Study”, the second massing that they came back with is the one linked as “Massing Study.”

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 12:18 AM

Here is a link to the images from Dezhu for the Ponce site. “Status:Idea” Maybe they’ll make a move. They are building J5, the project on Renaissance, and about four projects on Boulevard and Parkway, all under construction now, so they seem to be pretty bullish on the area, to say the least.

http://www.gvsa.com/portfolio/view/270-ponce-de-leon/6

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Their massing images definitely went downhill in my opinion, the first had a terraced look. A few months before this developer, Capital City, had their go at the property, Dezhu(the developers behind J5) posted renderings online for the same lot. The plans they put out were nice, and about nine floors tall (three taller than the Capital City plans).
Agreed.

Dezhu designs are good for the most part, adding a lot of new density and construction to areas that could use it, and I really enjoy J5. 555 Boulevard I preferred when it was tiered. I prefer the tiers on all projects that abut our SFH neighborhoods. That said, I don’t think we should have any SFH neighborhoods. Everywhere should be zoned for MFH at the least. Meaning a SFH could be built, but so could the missing middle housing.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLmangum View Post
I count 38 based on one of the thumbnails in the article??? I know 27 was what was announced a few months back...
Yes...you're right I looked again and I was wrong the first time I counted because the labels were a bit blurry. That's some nice height in a prominent location.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:02 AM

Elevation has the residential tower at nearly 400 feet but since it's on a ridge, the prominence could be up to 450 feet or so from some places.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:16 PM

Quote:
They never put out a real rendering, but in the link I posted the original massing is near the bottom under “3-D Study”, the second massing that they came back with is the one linked as “Massing Study.”
Ahh I missed that.

So people freaked out over a massing image? I'm not surprised that both developers walked away from it. The city just needs to do the rezoning rewrite for the entire corridor so development doesn't have to go through the drama and expense.

Last edited by Martinman; Nov 26, 2019 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:32 PM

Quote:

Ahh I missed that.

So people freaked out over a massing image? I'm not surprised that both developers walked away from it. The city just needs to go do the rezoning rewrite for the entire corridor so development doesn't have to go through the drama and expense.
I agree with you on rezoning the corridor. The site is zoned commercial, and the developer wanted it to be MRC-3, at six stories tall. The NIMBYs thought six stories was too much, but the Midtown Garden District Master Plan calls for six story mixed use along the Ponce corridor. I live in the brick condo complex directly behind this site, and I would be literally in its shadow at certain times of day, but myself and the others I’ve talked to in my complex want it developed and are totally fine with height.

Most of the objectors live in single family homes several blocks away, where they wouldn’t even see the building from their homes, and it is annoying as hell to me that their objections overrode what was laid out in the neighborhood master plan years ago. The second massing images presented were a result of their objections, and I guess the developers just decided that it wasn’t worth it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 8:37 PM

225 Centennial Olympic Park Drive is for sale

Quote:
The Owner is one of North America' s leading owners of urban parking facilities, and is seeking a development partner to design and construct an office building and/or convention hotel atop a new garage. Upon completion, the Developer will own the commercial elements of the project and the Owner will own the parking garage. The size of this parcel could lend itself to be developed in two phases.

1. SPI is the highest zoning designation in the City of Atlanta, and allows for up to 20 times coverage or over 1.5 million square feet of space
2. No height restrictions

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 3:46 PM

Rezoning permit filed for the Atlanta Humane Society site in West Midtown - 981 Howell Mill (at 10th street). Seeking zoning for a mixed use project.

Planning permit filed for a multi-family development at 842 Berne, on the future southside beltline trail south of Glenwood.

Planning permit filed for a 265 unit townhome development at 2400 Barge Rd SW (just outside the perimeter at Campbellton Rd).

Planning variance permit filed for a new building at 512 Flat Shoals (East Atlanta Village). Special exception to reduce required parking from 73 spaces to 0 spaces for a mixed-use building.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Rezoning permit filed for the Atlanta Humane Society site in West Midtown - 981 Howell Mill (at 10th street). Seeking zoning for a mixed use project.

Planning permit filed for a multi-family development at 842 Berne, on the future southside beltline trail south of Glenwood.

Planning permit filed for a 265 unit townhome development at 2400 Barge Rd SW (just outside the perimeter at Campbellton Rd).

Planning variance permit filed for a new building at 512 Flat Shoals (East Atlanta Village). Special exception to reduce required parking from 73 spaces to 0 spaces for a mixed-use building.

Wow! Another major mixed-use project for Howell Mill.

842 Berne

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Woow! I have been waiting on this ever since news broke a few years ago that they put it up for sale.

With them seeking zoning, does it mean they have a buyer lined up?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 9:41 PM

Have to wonder when proposals along the SST will stop with all the surface parking and start providing ground level retail. Thousands of new units about to go in and very little good urbanism and retail. All seems to be disjointed.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Have to wonder when proposals along the SST will stop with all the surface parking and start providing ground level retail. Thousands of new units about to go in and very little good urbanism and retail. All seems to be disjointed.
I agree. The latest apartment proposal will consume 9 acres of land. Why is it so hard to build decent urbanism in this city?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
I agree. The latest apartment proposal will consume 9 acres of land. Why is it so hard to build decent urbanism in this city?
Which is 9 acres? Berne st or the new Pollack Shores off Hill St?m
Either way, 9 acres for 300 apartments is ludicrous. We are burning land because it’s cheap and in a few years everyone will realize so much space was squandered. Multi story buildings it is normal to be 50-100+ units an acre. We are exasperating our housing supply and walkability problems.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta