HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 9:44 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Photo: Winnipeg Free Press

See, this is the kind of thing we need to do more of in terms of lighting. Why are our bus shelters and even the buses themselves so dark? Should be as bright as this year round.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 2:56 PM

^ Makes sense, especially given the relatively low cost and maintenance involved with LED lights.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 3:31 PM

There’s so many shelters where the lights barely give off any light, or are completely broken, likely because they were installed before LEDs were common and cheap. Tbh this seems more like WT being too poor to fix the real lights than being fun and decorative.

Last edited by buzzg; Dec 21, 2019 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 6:14 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ghts-1.5405862

Bus shelter lights intended to brighten Graham Avenue, boost perception of safety

Quote:
The white lights were installed earlier this week and will be left up until the spring, said Downtown BIZ CEO Kate Fenske.
Nooooo! Leave them up all year round. Downtown safety issues don't stop the first days of Spring.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 4:18 PM

I noticed over the last few days that Transit has made a slight change on their main destination signs on their buses. Instead of showing SORRY then Not in Service when running empty they changed it to show together on one display with the Sorry being now in a smaller font.

I'm wondering what motivated the change unless WT needed another space in the sign memory and by consolidating the out of service on one display it freed up a slot.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I noticed over the last few days that Transit has made a slight change on their main destination signs on their buses. Instead of showing SORRY then Not in Service when running empty they changed it to show together on one display with the Sorry being now in a smaller font.

I'm wondering what motivated the change unless WT needed another space in the sign memory and by consolidating the out of service on one display it freed up a slot.
I saw that too, wondered if it was in anticipation of the upcoming changes for RT.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:

Could it just be that they want to make the message immediately readable? When the message is split among two signs, you have to have continuous visibility of the bus for 5-ish seconds, while the signs cycle. With one condensed sign you can immediately read the entire message.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 4:47 PM

If the sorry is smaller then the rest of the message, are you even really sorry?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:

Probably a change to accommodate Blue Route signage in April.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 10:43 PM

I went out shopping yesterday and took the bus. As a Person with Reduced Mobility, it was a real pleasure not to ask anyone to have to give up seats in the priority zone. Usually people rarely give up a seat for me to sit down and even less for a seat to tip up so my walker doesn't obstruct the aisle.

I just wish that the lower level of all new-build Winnipeg Transit buses would feature longitudinal seating that tip up to accommodate more Persons with Reduced Mobility and parents with strollers.

Why hasn't Winnipeg Transit operated a reduced weekday schedule this year between Christmas and New Years'?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
Why hasn't Winnipeg Transit operated a reduced weekday schedule this year between Christmas and New Years'?
That hasn't been done in close to 2 decades, although in past years they've cut out some express buses. Logistically it's difficult to do.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 1:51 AM
BANNED

here's a video of the new transit way, if you want to watch a bus go through empty fields for 8 minutes

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ideo-1.5452159

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 2:44 AM

Has anyone ever seen a bus driver keep the new shields closed yet? Not one for me lol.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 3:51 PM

Yes, I see them closed almost everyday.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:37 PM

There are stoplights???

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:51 PM

I believe they are transit priority intersections

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:55 PM

Good to know.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:24 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
here's a video of the new transit way, if you want to watch a bus go through empty fields for 8 minutes

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ideo-1.5452159
Very nice.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I believe they are transit priority intersections
Yea you can see at one of the stations (Chevrier?) that the light had just turned red for the busses to cross but changes almost immediately when the bus with the camera for this video arrives at the intersection.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:51 PM

With the 'priority signaling'. It's a bit hard to tell what's going on in the video as it is sped up. But I think it's just loop detectors like at a lot of other intersections in the City. I don't think there is anything more fancy that that.

I had thought they would have a system where when buses were approaching, there were detectors a fair distance back so the signals would change and buses would not have to stop. But having stations right at the intersections complicates that. How will the system know if the bus is passing through or coming in to stop at the station?

I don't think it's anything more than that. We'll have to see what happens when the route is in service and we can view in real time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan