HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
This location should of never of been recommended by the city to develop a project to that kind of scale. I understand it’s off of Millidgeville avenue which would lead you to believe it would be a good candidate for development but once you get past the strip mall it becomes dense low rise residential. Believe me, I am no NIMBY kind of person and I think it’s shame that someone who wanted to invest in SJ is being turned down but this location simply isn’t a good fit.
Noel Ave in Millidgeville is a residential street OFF of a residential street with double the number of apartments constructed or under construction. How was this project different that it got approved? Because the homes aren’t as nice? Residents less organized? How do people square the circle on that one?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:00 PM

Quote:
This location should of never of been recommended by the city to develop a project to that kind of scale. I understand it’s off of Millidgeville avenue which would lead you to believe it would be a good candidate for development but once you get past the strip mall it becomes dense low rise residential. Believe me, I am no NIMBY kind of person and I think it’s shame that someone who wanted to invest in SJ is being turned down but this location simply isn’t a good fit.
Looking at the area on Google Maps, a 4 story building shouldn't be that out of place.

It's pretty much right next to a school, so that's an area you want some more density in general.

It's also on a street with commercial development just a block or two away, another pro for more density.

And the Shannex Retirement complex is also just a couple blocks away.

Milidge Avenue looks like it should be set up to become an arterial road as the area densifies too, considering it has the direct route to the Yacht Club as well.

And 4 stories isn't really that high of a structure; it's not like they were trying to build Brentwood Towers 2 on that site or anything.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:38 PM

I’m not disagreeing with either of you. You’ve both made extremely valid points that should of been considered in last nights PAC meeting. My post was meant to argue the fact a project like this was set to fail from the beginning because the local residents would reject it. I wasn’t there so I don’t know all of the points made but from what I’ve read is residents did a good job persuading the PAC to believe this site is more apart of the low rise residential area than it is Millidgeville avenue. Meaning “if someone wants to build something it better fit in with what we’ve got and not bringing a commercial street into a residential street.” Which IMO shouldn’t of been considered as the main entrance is off of Millidgeville avenue and the entrance to Daniel Avenue is literally 2 seconds away from Millidgeville avenue. I’d highly encourage the developer to return to the drawing board and create something that’s more fitting to the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 5:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I’m not disagreeing with either of you. You’ve both made extremely valid points that should of been considered in last nights PAC meeting. My post was meant to argue the fact a project like this was set to fail from the beginning because the local residents would reject it. I wasn’t there so I don’t know all of the points made but from what I’ve read is residents did a good job persuading the PAC to believe this site is more apart of the low rise residential area than it is Millidgeville avenue. Meaning “if someone wants to build something it better fit in with what we’ve got and not bringing a commercial street into a residential street.” Which IMO shouldn’t of been considered as the main entrance is off of Millidgeville avenue and the entrance to Daniel Avenue is literally 2 seconds away from Millidgeville avenue. I’d highly encourage the developer to return to the drawing board and create something that’s more fitting to the neighbourhood.
Saint John is one hell of a strange place. Messed up!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:38 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Noel Ave in Millidgeville is a residential street OFF of a residential street with double the number of apartments constructed or under construction. How was this project different that it got approved? Because the homes aren’t as nice? Residents less organized? How do people square the circle on that one?
I grew up in Millidgeville, and all I will say to the above is that anyone with a familiarity with the urban and socioeconomic geography of the area will understand why this proposal met with so much local opposition and the Noel Avenue development didn't.

An article in today's paper suggests that the developer was quite surprised by the magnitude of opposition received and is currently evaluating next steps. While we don't yet know whether or how the proposal will evolve, the developer was quoted as saying the wishes of the neighbourhood must be respected. I wonder if that means a different form/scale/typology is under consideration?

We'll see if anything has changed in a couple weeks' time when the February 10th Council agenda is released.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 5:05 PM
ハルウララ

The pessimist in me imagines the developer will just relinquish plans on the property, or look to sell it to another buyer.

I also grew up in Millidgeville and understand the opposition to this development, but at some point this area of the city will have to do some densifying and growing up. We've already seen Shannex wipe out one of the larger remaining greenfield spaces, Noel Avenue houses a number of new buildings, and Boars Head continues to build out. Millidge Avenue is a major throughfare not just for residents in Millidgeville but also residents of Kingston Peninsula racing to catch the ferry. This isn't some quiet, quaint street corner fit only for single family homes.

It would be great if Millidgeville could become just a bit more pedestrian-friendly as well, and I think more can be done to connect the Regional/UNBSJ area with the Millidge/University intersection, to encourage more active transportation use.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 9:40 PM

Does anyone know how Gary Sullivan voted when it came to Village View apartments on Noel Ave? Yea or nay?

Last edited by cdnguys; Jan 23, 2020 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The pessimist in me imagines the developer will just relinquish plans on the property, or look to sell it to another buyer.

I also grew up in Millidgeville and understand the opposition to this development, but at some point this area of the city will have to do some densifying and growing up. We've already seen Shannex wipe out one of the larger remaining greenfield spaces, Noel Avenue houses a number of new buildings, and Boars Head continues to build out. Millidge Avenue is a major throughfare not just for residents in Millidgeville but also residents of Kingston Peninsula racing to catch the ferry. This isn't some quiet, quaint street corner fit only for single family homes.

It would be great if Millidgeville could become just a bit more pedestrian-friendly as well, and I think more can be done to connect the Regional/UNBSJ area with the Millidge/University intersection, to encourage more active transportation use.
I ended up speaking with a guy that attended the event. The majority of the crowd had no desire to listen to proposal and were almost coming off as an "old man yelling at cloud" opposition. Given, I was told there were still real concerns that my friend feels should be addressed before the proposal goes ahead, and just would like some more preliminary assessments on sewage/water and parking concerns, guarantees on finishes/design.

I guess the ironic thing is, if all these proposal's are continuously opposed, the safety for children going to Gerald Teed won't be a problem anymore, since the city can't afford to operate it unless they increase the tax base.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 7:50 PM

Final phase of Village View Apartments under construction in Millidgeville

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 12:54 AM

Building one of two - Merritt Hill

Last edited by cdnguys; Jan 28, 2020 at 1:24 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 1:29 AM

Drury Cove

Here you can see how Drury Cove Saint John is now encroaching the K-Park neighbourhood of Rothesay below the hill.
https://ibb.co/q95JxsX
https://ibb.co/9crwjsF

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 1:47 AM

Central Park Condos - Bukding

Central Park Condos - Building 1 of 2

https://ibb.co/wMGxLff

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 9:18 PM

https://huddle.today/saputo-to-close...in-saint-john/ Saputo announced the closure of their Saint John plant (formerly Baxter’s) in North End of Saint John. Sad reality of increased focus on corporate efficiencies. To early to tell what will become of the property and assets.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 12:22 PM

Sporting Events At Irving Oil Field House Are A Win For The Saint John Economy

More than 340 athletes from the ages of eight to 80 from across the Maritimes competed at the N.B. Indoor Track and Field Championships and University Invitational last weekend at the new Irving Oil Field House in east Saint John.

https://huddle.today/sporting-events...-john-economy/

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Drummer View Post
https://huddle.today/saputo-to-close...in-saint-john/ Saputo announced the closure of their Saint John plant (formerly Baxter’s) in North End of Saint John. Sad reality of increased focus on corporate efficiencies. To early to tell what will become of the property and assets.
The only way that plant would stay open is for Baxter Foods Limited to become an independent company again, and for Saputo to let everything under the Baxter label go.

o.o

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 2:01 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

The April 6th Public Hearings are being scheduled at Monday's Council meeting. Here are the two new applications:

Source

Presumably the SJE substation proposal will be a replacement for the current substation at Smythe and Union - a prime site for redevelopment - following up on their previous infrastructure funding application from last May:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
I found the final item of today's federal funding announcement to be of particular interest.

"3. $4.5M to relocate the Smythe Street electrical substation (SJ Energy responsible for an additional $6.9M)."

This opens up a new waterfront lot that along with its neighbouring parking lot creates a significant development opportunity between Smythe Street and Harbour Passage:

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 2:10 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Updated rendering for 819 Millidge Avenue:

Source

So by the looks of it the developer is standing his ground with this proposal for the most part. The staff presentation for Monday's public hearing can be found here and explains their rationale for recommending approval. Will definitely be an interesting meeting.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 3:51 AM

It’s a beautiful proposal and staff clearly quashed the foolish rhetoric put forward by the NIMBYs - this would increase their property value, not decrease it. Council would be foolish to vote against it.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It’s a beautiful proposal and staff clearly quashed the foolish rhetoric put forward by the NIMBYs - this would increase their property value, not decrease it. Council would be foolish to vote against it.
It's amazing how saint John is just filled with run down filthy shacks and they put up a stink for anything nice and new. Oh man the people are wierd as hell there.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Looking at the new powerpoint the developer put together(maybe that was presented at the original meeting?), it looks pretty much exactly what the SJ-Growth plan calls for. So I can't see a logical reason to stop the proposal.

I do like how there were so many respondents from Bell Manor Ct... I don't even see why this affects them all so negatively. Are they worried too many people will turn left and add 3 seconds to their commute home?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces