HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 4:20 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Official sod turning for Hospice SENB was yesterday.

Photos from Councillor Greg Turner's FB Page

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 5:28 PM

Starbucks Granite Drive

I noticed at lunch that there is now a Starbucks sign in front of the western-most building in the new development on Granite drive. Still nothing on the building itself, though.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 3:13 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

CascaBowl's Fresh Mexican Cantina will be opening in that little plaza behind the Starbucks on Elmwood Drive which also contains Spoon2 Sushi.

https://cascabowls.ca

This is hot on the heels of the confirmation of the impending opening of Quesada on Paul Street in Dieppe. That's a big increase in the number of Mexican joints in the city all at once. There are also four Guacamole locations in the city, and Taco Bell too (if that counts). Also can't forget Mexicali Rosa's downtown........

I hope they both survive!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 1:25 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Request for variance to allow a new four storey apartment building to be built off of Highlandview Drive, just across from Highway 11/15.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Request for variance to allow a new four storey apartment building to be built off of Highlandview Drive, just across from Highway 11/15.
When will the era of cheap, 4-story wooden apartment buildings end in Moncton? Seems like there's a new proposal for one every week.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 2:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
When will the era of cheap, 4-story wooden apartment buildings end in Moncton? Seems like there's a new proposal for one every week.
Maybe when the era of double property taxation on rental properties comes to an end.

After all, the more expensive the property, the higher the tax............

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Maybe when the era of double property taxation on rental properties comes to an end.

After all, the more expensive the property, the higher the tax............
That is exactly the problem, the nicer you build something the more your taxed (effectively punished for doing something special). So for a developer to find a decent return on their investment or at least a positive one, the incentive (or necessity of survival) is to build cheap. If we had a large wealthy population, then some developers would take the risk and go very high-end because people would want and be able to afford the rent or lease. You could say that they have tried this with 55 Queen, but I think the majority of that building was suppose to be upscale Condos originally, and I think over half of it has been converted to a Hotel (likely a reason for this, condos were not selling). We live in Atlantic Canada, not New York or downtown Toronto. In addition, the City requires developers to absorb more and more costs, year over year, setbacks get larger (less ability to monetize expensive land), 10% of land has to be given for public purposes, more landscaping, have to pay for any new streets, services, traffic intersections, sidewalks, street lights, etc. For commercial buildings, the property tax in NB is fast approaching average net rents (the rent the owner actually receives for their building from tenants), it is crazy. There should be an incentive for those who actually use architects and build quality design, and not just for downtown developments, as downtown is becoming an oligarchy of land owners.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifyoubuildit View Post
That is exactly the problem, the nicer you build something the more your taxed (effectively punished for doing something special). So for a developer to find a decent return on their investment or at least a positive one, the incentive (or necessity of survival) is to build cheap. If we had a large wealthy population, then some developers would take the risk and go very high-end because people would want and be able to afford the rent or lease. You could say that they have tried this with 55 Queen, but I think the majority of that building was suppose to be upscale Condos originally, and I think over half of it has been converted to a Hotel (likely a reason for this, condos were not selling). We live in Atlantic Canada, not New York or downtown Toronto. In addition, the City requires developers to absorb more and more costs, year over year, setbacks get larger (less ability to monetize expensive land), 10% of land has to be given for public purposes, more landscaping, have to pay for any new streets, services, traffic intersections, sidewalks, street lights, etc. For commercial buildings, the property tax in NB is fast approaching average net rents (the rent the owner actually receives for their building from tenants), it is crazy. There should be an incentive for those who actually use architects and build quality design, and not just for downtown developments, as downtown is becoming an oligarchy of land owners.
There is actually the same amount of condo units in FiveFive as originally designed, they expanded the building to make place for the hotel. The 1 floor of rentals, however, was due to the high demand.
As for the double taxation, I completely agree. It encourages developers to build cheap wood structures to keep the cost and the valuation as low as possible.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 1:29 PM

There used to be a plan to extend Mountainview Road up to the area behind Stirling's Apples. If this type of development in that area continues, I can see this happening in the coming years. It would also serve to alleviate some traffic that is now using Shediac Road.
I'm not sure if that plan still exists though.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 12:55 PM

Jobs are now posted for the new shell truck stop in the Calidonia industrial park.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 1:40 AM

Cordova Realty has purchased (EDIT: 140 acres) of the Vision Lands and will fill a sizeable portion of it with apartment buildings and the services that will cater to the residents of those buildings, with relatively narrow streets and over sized sidewalks.
Bombshell story is in the Times Transcript online now, likely in the hard copy in the morning.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 3:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Cordova has developed quite an inventory of real estate in Moncton and Riverview for both residential and commercial development.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 10:50 AM

Facebook post of the announcement

Quote:
Mapleton Park Place:

Cordova Realty has been working for 10 years to assemble land east of Mapleton road in what is known as the Vision Lands. Last week marked the purchase of the last key portion, a 25 acre parcel located at the southwest corner of the Vision Lands. Access to the 140 acre Cordova Realty development is now possible via three key intersections: the future Louis J. Robichaud Parkway, Moncton Boulevard and Lady Ada Boulevard.

Cordova Realty is working with Fathom Studio's urban planning team, in close consultation with the City of Moncton Planning department, to create a visionary mid-rise community, comprising the last large portion of land within municipal boundaries that is not developed. The development is named Mapleton Park Place.

Mapleton Park Place will have an active main street, which includes wide sidewalks for pedestrians and patios, lined with shops and services at street level and six to eight floors of residences above, connected by an integrated community park and active walking and bike trails. There will be green space connectivity throughout the development, leading to a community central park, offering a green retreat for seasonal events and all to enjoy. Nearly 80% of the buildings in Mapleton Park Place will be six to eight storeys high, with underground parking, creating sustainable and environmentally responsible use of the land.

Local nodes of commercial space will be incorporated to accommodate a range of small to medium offices, community-based retail, healthcare and professional services. An area will be reserved for larger retail or office uses adjacent to the Trans-Canada Highway. Greater local employment (or live-work opportunities) helps to diffuse employment nodes across the city and creates a more balanced, less-congested traffic flow. People can thrive in a live, work and play community, without having to use an automobile.

Cordova Realty is excited to transform this 140-acre parcel of land into a vibrant, mixed-use visionary community designed to enhance the overall health and quality of life for residents, while redefining urban living in New Brunswick. Public consultation and input will be encouraged, as the project progresses.
Sounds like an ambitious project that will really change the face of that area of the city.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 12:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It's a little difficult to know where to place talk on this proposal, since it is on the borderlands of "Moncton Northwest" and "Moncton East", but I myself did suggest once that since the Vision Lands are east of Mapleton Road, that it should be considered "Moncton East"

I imagine though that once plans for "Mapleton Park Place" get more fully realized, that we will simply create a new thread for this development, much as we did for the Junction Urban Village downtown........

I'm busy at work. I'll give my thoughts on this proposed development when I get home later this evening.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 1:26 PM

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 1:43 PM

Quote:

It's a little difficult to know where to place talk on this proposal, since it is on the borderlands of "Moncton Northwest" and "Moncton East",
I've always thought of it as Moncton East, first because the part that is already developed is in Moncton east, but maybe mostly because I live in Moncton East and often ponder how many more thousands of cars per day are going to eventually be funnelled by my front door yet again, as well as along crumbling Hennessey Street and the almost overwhelmed Elmwood Drive.
Oh well...

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 1:59 PM

Quote:

It's a little difficult to know where to place talk on this proposal, since it is on the borderlands of "Moncton Northwest" and "Moncton East", but I myself did suggest once that since the Vision Lands are east of Mapleton Road, that it should be considered "Moncton East"

I imagine though that once plans for "Mapleton Park Place" get more fully realized, that we will simply create a new thread for this development, much as we did for the Junction Urban Village downtown........

I'm busy at work. I'll give my thoughts on this proposed development when I get home later this evening.
Yeah when I posted the FB post, I wondered if this might be worth starting a project thread for. If one of our Moncton members (or anyone) feels like doing so, it's probably worth it. Hopefully this project doesn't peter out.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 2:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Yeah when I posted the FB post, I wondered if this might be worth starting a project thread for. If one of our Moncton members (or anyone) feels like doing so, it's probably worth it. Hopefully this project doesn't peter out.
We waited about a couple of years (or so) after the Junction Urban Village was announced before creating a project specific thread. There is a long history of projects in this city that have been announced and then nothing ever happens. We should probably wait until roadwork begins and shovels are ready to go in the ground.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 2:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Some of the comments on Mayor Dawn Arnold's Facebook page about the Mapleton Park Place proposal are laughable.

- "but think about all the trees and animals"
- "seems like a lot of low density and sprawl to me".

#1 - there are already lots of trees and animals in NB
#2 - this development is within the city's municipal service boundary, and is south of the TCH
#3 - this will arguably be one of the densest parts of the city at build out. Lots of mid rise apartment and condo buildings in the 6-8 storey range, wide sidewalks, narrow roadways, and a preplanned trail system.

Sprawl my ass.........

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 3:21 PM

Sadly, Facebook seems to be filled with a lot of people who don't like change. They like things just the way they are now, or even better, just the way they remember it years ago.

Saw a lot of talk like that on the Freddy FB threads too, especially talking about the Rookwood project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces