HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 9:28 PM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 9:31 PM
Transit Nerd

I sure hope they invested a ton into security, considering how bad the area is...

But otherwise, looks great!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 1:40 AM

That tiny LED sign is so unfortunate because frankly, it's stunning. Even though it does look like an office building lol.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 2:28 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
I sure hope they invested a ton into security, considering how bad the area is...

But otherwise, looks great!
? Huh?

Provided they have a secure spot to lock up some bikes, that really isn't a dangerous place.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 9:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
? Huh?

Provided they have a secure spot to lock up some bikes, that really isn't a dangerous place.
He's now a Calgarian. He's become influenced by them in believing that the entire city is dangerous, and that everything in Calgary is perfection and safety. Utterly annoying yes, but hey, it's the Calgay way!

Next thing you know, he will be brainwashed by the nutjob Albertans now promoting Western Canadian separation like I see all over LinkedIn and Facebook.

I'm so happy I left that loony bin province.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 4:36 PM

^^ I have a friend who moved to Calgary and has become very annoying because of all the put downs she's been spewing about Winnipeg. She kept on bragging about their winters, their downtown and their mountains. Like, stop, I get it, you hate Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 5:55 PM

^^Sadly the "Calgary way" of self aggrandizement + dumping on others has been a "thing" for many years now. They have turned winning the "geologic lottery" of sitting on vast oil reserves into an assumed virtue based on superior intelligence and character. It's truly sickening, but I wonder if I see cracks in the "golden city on the hill" mythology Calgary is infamous for?

They have been nursing a roughly 25% downtown office vacancy rate for a while now. I can see demand for their two main products, oil and beef, start to decline, as the reality of climate change forces people to seriously look into alternate energy sources, and changing tastes for plant-based proteins lessen demand for beef.

I could be wrong of course, but I honestly think these things are a trend we see now, not just a "neo-hippy" fantasy. Of course the powers that be in Alberta will use their accumulated wealth to try to fight this sort of change for as long as possible, and with it the myth of Calgary superiority will continue for a while. Personally, though, I hope I live long enough to see the end of it.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalabaw View Post
^^ I have a friend who moved to Calgary and has become very annoying because of all the put downs she's been spewing about Winnipeg. She kept on bragging about their winters, their downtown and their mountains. Like, stop, I get it, you hate Winnipeg.
Yeah Albertans really shot themselves in the foot because after listening to years and years of that stuff I have zero sympathy for their current economic troubles and actually seem to get a bit of sick satisfaction out of it, as messed up as that is. If they hadn't spent the last 30 years being arrogant pricks all the time I might actually want to seem them get back on their feet.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 4:07 PM

I love the exterior, but the interior is a little too austere for my taste. I love beton brut or bricks but for whatever reason I'm not really a fan of exposed cinder block. The floor to window ceilings and the views they provide are fantastic, though.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 9:46 PM

Lol you guys hate Calgary more than he hates Winnipeg. It's not a perfect city, but it's still a good place.

Plus Alberta as a province is miles better than Manitoba ever has been. It is what it is.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post

Plus Alberta as a province is miles better than Manitoba ever has been. It is what it is.
This about a province that believes Jason Kenney can single-handedly reverse the slide in oil prices, so, let's keep our grains of salt handy, hmmmm???

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 1:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Lol you guys hate Calgary more than he hates Winnipeg. It's not a perfect city, but it's still a good place.

Love your pessimistic and back-handed pseudo-loyalty, hun

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 1:47 AM

Maybe let’s keep this thread focused on topic and not Alberta bashing.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Maybe let’s keep this thread focused on topic and not Alberta bashing.
Good point. mea culpa. I just have to try to get over the nagging feeling that staying silent in the face of someone's posted foolishness is a form of agreement. However, in the world of on-line forums and their troll parasites who feed off of responses to their digs, silence is more like cutting off their food source.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Vision for sustainable living downtown
Mixed-use building has 71 rental units, four commercial units
By: Solomon Israel Posted: 09/23/2019

Sherbrook Flats, a new six-storey rental building on the east side of Sherbrook Street between Broadway and Portage Avenue, represents building designer Sotirios Kotoulas’ vision for sustainable living in downtown Winnipeg.

"I feel like downtown is our future, definitely, and we did want to invest in downtown, and we did want to invest in a vision of a healthy, dense urban core," says Kotoulas, a Winnipeg-born architect who splits his time between New York and Winnipeg and designed the project in partnership with Cibinel Architecture as the local architect of record.

Kotoulas says his confidence in West Broadway was inspired by recent investments and new development in the area, especially initiatives undertaken by former University of Winnipeg president Lloyd Axworthy.

"The neighbourhood just kept on transforming, the people of West Broadway kept on investing in Sherbrook, there were more cafés, there were more shops, and so we really saw potential there. Osborne and Corydon had already been established, and Sherbrook was up and coming."

The building is owned by the Kotoulas family and managed by Akman Property Management. Sotirios’ father, Alpha Masonry president Kostas (Gus) Kotoulas, bought the land at 267 Sherbrook St. around nine years ago. It had been a surface parking lot.

Sotirios Kotoulas says rents for the building’s 71 units are comparable to rental prices for new rental buildings downtown, starting at $965 for some one-bedroom apartments. (Heat, air conditioning and water are included, but renters pay their own hydro.) Tenants, including Kotoulas himself, started moving in this June, and the building is already half-full.

"I have to say that it is an incredibly diverse and wide range of people that are moving in," Kotoulas says.

"From professionals, recent graduates, students, medical students, doctors, health-care professionals, people who work for the military, a lot of design and tech, a lot of people in the creative industries. It really is a wide range."

The apartment units are bright and modern, with polished concrete floors and floor-to-ceiling windows. Amenities include in-suite laundry and a rooftop patio, as well as an underground parking garage and some outdoor parking stalls, with two spots for car-sharing vehicles from Peg City Car Co-Op. The building has fewer than one parking stall per unit — Kotoulas says he used long-form census data on transportation modes for the area to convince the city that local zoning rules requiring one and a half parking stalls per unit shouldn’t apply.

"I was able to understand how people move around, and how people transport themselves around the city. And what you see is, almost 18 per cent walk to work. About eight per cent bike to work. About 33 per cent use public transit. So knowing that allowed me to really question the zoning laws in the area... The zoning was quite antiquated, and I would say it was really suburban."

The exterior of Sherbrook Flats is clad in local Tyndall stone limestone from Gillis Quarries, which Kotoulas hails as "the bedrock of our city." The structure was built of non-combustible materials, and designed with a focus on environmental sustainability and energy efficiency.

"For us, environmental sustainability equals economic viability, and the most sustainable building is the building that’s built to last," Kotoulas says.

The Manitoba Masonry Association has installed sensors throughout the building, which will measure data like dewpoint, moisture levels and energy loss to see how the building performs over time.

Sherbrook Flats isn’t just a residential building: the project includes four commercial units at street level, one of which will be a commercial art gallery operated by Kotoulas and his girlfriend, New Yorker Karline Moeller. The remaining three spaces are still up for lease.

"It could be a wide range, anything from healthcare to office space to retail, to food and beverage," Kotoulas says. "It’s quite flexible, there’s really no limitation to the space, what can be there."

Kotoulas says his family’s building has been welcomed by West Broadway residents who want to see more density in what he describes as a "really rich inner-city neighbourhood."

"It’s culturally rich. You can go eat foods, and listen to languages, from any part of the world. You can go to the Winnipeg Art Gallery, you can go to Plug In Institute of Contemporary Art within five minutes. You can catch an amazing lecture, or a concert at Goodwill. It’s awesome."

Signage throughout Sherbrook Flats is in three languages: English, French and Ojibwa.

"It’s a 21st century Canadian building, and I am a child of immigrants… I am the product of a Canadian dream, you know?" Kotoulas says. "And for me, the official languages of Canada must include an Indigenous language. We are all citizens of Treaty One."

solomon.israel@freepress.mb.ca
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...561076502.html

MIKE SUDOMA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 2:47 PM

I don't understand the dark tinted glass on the ground-level CRUs. Or is that office space vs. retail?

Also, what's the "use sat-sun" sign about?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:18 PM

I'm not 100% sold on the interior finishings. Will need some nice interior design work by the tenants.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm not 100% sold on the interior finishings. Will need some nice interior design work by the tenants.
Yeah, it's probably going to be a little too austere for most tastes. But it is a beautiful, obviously very solidly built building with more glass than you'd see just about anywhere in Winnipeg except maybe Glasshouse. For under a grand in rent it's hard to beat.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I don't understand the dark tinted glass on the ground-level CRUs. Or is that office space vs. retail?

Also, what's the "use sat-sun" sign about?
That the weekend entrance.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:22 PM

I think this is a great building...

Very well build rental with no nonsense terrazzo flooring, cinder block, Tyndal Stone and concrete ceilings. Reminds me of our buildings at 1000 Notre Dame or 52 Donald built in 1964!

This is an intergenerational legacy property from a family of brick and stone masons. They would not cut a corner on construction or materials. I’m sure they will find likeminded tenants both residential and commercial to fill this property.

No grants or concessions from the city to my knowledge.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I hope for more like this!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan