HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 4:56 PM

I'll also agree the Tavern concept is old. It's a fantastic space at a fantastic location. Roof top patio is an awesome spot .Can't get any closer to MTS Centre. But the inside makes you feel like it's 1980 and your at Perkins.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'll also agree the Tavern concept is old. It's a fantastic space at a fantastic location. Roof top patio is an awesome spot .Can't get any closer to MTS Centre. But the inside makes you feel like it's 1980 and your at Perkins.
The actual concept is not bad, the execution is lousy. Food selection and quality is crap and the décor is abominable. 1980s Perkins is an apt description. The one saving grace for that place is the rooftop patio, but even there they charge up the wazoo for drinks.

Someone mentioned that the kitchen is small, though... so does that mean that anything that operates in there will be restricted to the current burgers'n'wings kind of menu?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 5:18 PM
BANNED

No. I have seen small kitchens prepare gourmet menu items. The culinary team's level of skill would dictate what could be delivered.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 6:04 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
No. I have seen small kitchens prepare gourmet menu items. The culinary team's level of skill would dictate what could be delivered.
Longboat to Open New Joel Robuchon Restaurant in Powerhouse Building?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 6:22 PM

High standard indeed..

Robuchon’s restaurants in Paris, London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Las Vegas, Singapore and Bangkok... 25 Michelin Guide stars — the most for any chef in the world.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 6:25 PM
BANNED

Hahaha. Perhaps we should aim just a tad bit lower.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 9:22 PM

"TNSE announces they have an agreement for Cara's Milestone banner to take over the Tavern space in the MTS Centre Powerhouse".

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 6:37 AM

If this Starwood-Mariott merger goes through it will be VERY interesting to see what hotel goes in TN Square. Mariott is quickly building up a strong presence in Winnipeg, and will now have Westin under it's umbrella — the banner that WAS going to be going at Portage & Main and also has exclusive contracts with all NHL teams. But I know TN/Longboat (and Le Germain) are thrilled with how the Alt is doing, so it may make them consider bringing the flagship Le Germain banner here.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 11:43 AM

Piles of construction fencing were dropped off in the parking lot on Tuesday afternoon in two locations.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 3:32 PM

Looks like the fencing is to block off stalls for more soil testing. I see a truck mounted drill rig parked in one of the fenced areas.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 7:32 PM

I noticed the crane parked on the former Carlton Inn site... are they testing there too?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 2:46 AM

Little hard to see at night from my office window, but it looks like the same size track mounted augur that was being used for soil testing at Portage and Main when the hotel was proposed.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 8:43 PM

That rig on the Carlton site seemed quite large. But I only caught a glimpse. I don't think it was truck mounted though. I think there were tracks.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 12:56 AM

Just looking out the office window and not only is there the track auger still there, but I see a large site office trailer on the Carlton Inn site.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 2:46 PM
What could go wrong?

From our own TrueViking twitter
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 4:04 PM

I don't think they're staring construction yet. So I'm guessing test caisson(s). That drill rig is quite large for simple test holes.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 4:13 PM

^ Yeah, after the recent experience with the proposed hotel at Portage and Main which died despite the presence of drilling equipment and fencing, I think we've learned to keep the champagne on ice until actual construction starts.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Yeah, after the recent experience with the proposed hotel at Portage and Main which died despite the presence of drilling equipment and fencing, I think we've learned to keep the champagne on ice until actual construction starts.

this ones a done deal im pretty sure theyll make an official announcement any time now...its all but a formality

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 5:15 PM

So what building is proposed to go up on the Carlton site now? Is it a hotel or residential? Or both, I can't remember.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I don't think they're staring construction yet. So I'm guessing test caisson(s). That drill rig is quite large for simple test holes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
this ones a done deal im pretty sure theyll make an official announcement any time now...its all but a formality
Agree with all these posts...Test caisson, to early to pop the cork yet but it's only a matter of time..

For those looking to really drill down for information, this big boy in action..

Video Link

Last edited by Cyro; Nov 26, 2015 at 6:44 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan