HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
In the 1970s, and even into the 80s, Austin had a bit of an anti-growth mentality. The point was to keep Austin from growing so fast that it would lose the special qualities that made Austin special. As a result, people fell in love with Austin and then it started growing like wildfire (with other factors too, of course). I think San Antonio is smart to do its best to retain the qualities that make it unique in its own way. That includes not making "flashy" civic projects. In the long run that may also result in faster and bigger growth from private developments than would happen by attempting to trigger growth in its own right.
When I think of SA, I think "calm, restrained, elegant."

"Flashy" is more for Dallas.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:22 AM

If a small group of people is fighting vehemently to preserve a certain style to their respective city, they should be ashamed of themselves. While the past should always be preserved as part of history, and, in this case, architectural history, it is important to always embrace the future. By doing so, a mix of both past and present, and what could potentially be the future, are therefore created in a wholesome space to be used and viewed by the community. San Antonio will soon, with time and if we really are in a modern building boom, have this. I greatly hope.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
If a small group of people is fighting vehemently to preserve a certain style to their respective city, they should be ashamed of themselves. While the past should always be preserved as part of history, and, in this case, architectural history, it is important to always embrace the future. By doing so, a mix of both past and present, and what could potentially be the future, are therefore created in a wholesome space to be used and viewed by the community. San Antonio will soon, with time and if we really are in a modern building boom, have this. I greatly hope.
This.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Nobody is fighting anything...it's all about supporting design that fits in its context.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Nobody is fighting anything...it's all about supporting design that fits in its context.
"...fits its context" or "build the same over and over similar to residential towers on a coastal city"

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Also on the HDRC agenda is an item for Hemisfair Park, "new construction of a fourteen story, mixed use hotel tower, an eight story mixed use office tower, a two story, mixed use market building, and a subgrade parking structure".
If this info they submitted to the HDRC is correct, then it looks like they've cut down on the height of the hotel, no? Unless they're not counting the structure at the base of the building in that "fourteen story" bit.

From the renderings, it looks like it would be more than fourteen:

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:33 PM

These renderings don't look like the ones posted on the SA Business Journal.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:34 PM

Looks like that plans are completely different from what was initially proposed.

https://www.expressnews.com/real-est...photo-15089790

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 4:32 PM

Boring, "safe" architectural designs presented by Zachry, surprise surprise. I wonder how that corner would look if someone other than Zachry designed it (I don't have to wonder, we've all seen the renderings). I wonder how downtown would look if the city hadn't been in bed with Zachry for the last 40-50 years.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 4:45 PM

Agree with Spoiler. Zachary played it very safe. Uninspiring designs for what will become San Antonio's gathering spot. Does anyone think big in this city?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8TVTXN View Post
Agree with Spoiler. Zachary played it very safe. Uninspiring designs for what will become San Antonio's gathering spot. Does anyone think big in this city?
I like the way you term this as "San Antonio's gathering spot". That is a perfect way of describing the scope of this project. That is what the "Hemisfare Redevelopment" was supposed to do. It was going to create the gathering spot for San Antonio. With that in mind, this project needs to be a symbol of that.

This whole thing is starting to feel like a bait and switch scenario.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:02 PM

I just LOVE the new designs!! Let's hope it gets approved when it goes to the historical group for approval!
Love the curved architectural feature!! VERY NICE!!!!

Safe? I don't think so

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:15 PM
JACKinBeantown

That's what they're building? Sad!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:58 PM

https://therivardreport.com/plans-fo...route-to-hdrc/

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 7:13 PM

I dunno, am I the only one who actually likes those designs? It looks like the detailing, if accurate in the renderings, will be what makes those buildings special. The coffered window surrounds, heavy masonry podium with patterns in the brickwork, that beautiful arch. At leas tthis is all for the curved building. The last rendering with the multiple barrel vaults is intriguing too. Recalls 60's formalist design that much of Hemisfair '68 was designed with. -

Sure, there's nothing outlandish here like a Frank Gehry or Daniel Libeskind-esque deconstructivist monster, but I think this is a hell of a lot more exciting and different than your typical shiny, boxy glass clusters you see just about everywhere else.

It seems these designs really have texture, mass, and intricate detailing - something you rarely see anymore.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 7:36 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I dunno, am I the only one who actually likes those designs? It looks like the detailing, if accurate in the renderings, will be what makes those buildings special. The coffered window surrounds, heavy masonry podium with patterns in the brickwork, that beautiful arch. At leas tthis is all for the curved building. The last rendering with the multiple barrel vaults is intriguing too. Recalls 60's formalist design that much of Hemisfair '68 was designed with. -

Sure, there's nothing outlandish here like a Frank Gehry or Daniel Libeskind-esque deconstructivist monster, but I think this is a hell of a lot more exciting and different than your typical shiny, boxy glass clusters you see just about everywhere else.

It seems these designs really have texture, mass, and intricate detailing - something you rarely see anymore.
I liked the originals much better.

I agree with your assessment that all the buildings you mentioned are in styles that these are not. But these are also not great. They're OK. They're acceptable. But acceptable is not aspirational. They'll fit in, but they won't stand out.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post

Safe? I don't think so
Explain what risks you think were taken by the designers of these buildings.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I liked the originals much better.

I agree with your assessment that all the buildings you mentioned are in styles that these are not. But these are also not great. They're OK. They're acceptable. But acceptable is not aspirational. They'll fit in, but they won't stand out.
What are the originals?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 8:33 PM

Yea, I'm not feeling it at all.
Feels like something outdated. Also that 8 story building is very wide. We don't need another wall like the Grand Hyatt!
Some of the design also looks like its paying tribute to the former Henry B. Convention Center.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 9:02 PM

They made the Hemisfair Hotel shorter. Just like the Grand Hyatt. I know the city is saturated with hotels but these alterations seem to happen with every project. I want more of the "Countdown City" and less of the "Let Down City." Regardless, I don't hate it. At least its not beige.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio