HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 12:37 AM

Phoenix is still pretty affordable but not what most would call liberal culturally, but, the city government itself is pretty liberal. Tucson is pretty "blue" and is even cheaper than Phoenix. A smaller town out west that trends a bit liberal but is cheap would be Missoula, MT or kinda/sorta Flagstaff, AZ. But, I agree with other posters that this is the mid west/great lakes wheel house.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Phoenix is still pretty affordable but not what most would call liberal culturally, but, the city government itself is pretty liberal. Tucson is pretty "blue" and is even cheaper than Phoenix. A smaller town out west that trends a bit liberal but is cheap would be Missoula, MT or kinda/sorta Flagstaff, AZ. But, I agree with other posters that this is the mid west/great lakes wheel house.
Yeah I wouldn't call Phoenix liberal at all. While the city government has majority Democrats (albeit in ostensibly non-partisan elections), it is a slim majority of lite Democrats, with an outspoken conservative minority. And the metro area was the largest population center to vote plurality Trump in 2016.

Tucson isn't a bad suggestion though. Cheaper and more liberal than Phoenix.

My impression is that Flagstaff is too expensive to qualify.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:40 PM
Paradise Island

How expensive is Albuquerque? I've never been, but it seems to have a low profile despite being a sunbelt city in a relatively liberal state.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:02 PM
Dryer lint inspector

New Mexico is fairly Democrat but not really 'liberal' but I think ABQ is middle of the road and is pretty affordable. Tucson seemed more liberal from my impression...given the university.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:50 PM
E pluribus unum

Flagstaff has by far the highest cost of living in Arizona. It's a tiny blue dot in a sea of red but by no means affordable.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 12:32 AM

I've been obsessed with geography and cities since I could write.

To this day I know more about Beijing than I do New Mexico. Such a weird place to me...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Upstate NY isn't as cheap as many would believe it is. Sure, there are super cheap houses bordering inner city Detroit prices but they are in bombed out areas but a nice house in a nice neighborhood in a good school district is at least 200-250k in an area with depressed wages and crazy taxes.
There are plenty of nice houses in-between "bombed-out" and 200k. It is not one extreme or the other.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 3:17 AM
你的媽媽

Seattle, Chicago, or Philadelphia. If I had to pick a cheaper, but still liberal place to move to, it'd be one of these cities.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 2:53 AM

Baltimore?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 4:03 AM

New Mexico is blue, but not overtly liberal. Santa Fe is more liberal than other places in the state. As a whole, New Mexico is not as socially liberal as places in, say, New England. They are big on larger safety nets and welfare or handouts, depending on how you look at it, because the state is poor and more people need it there.

It may be accurate to say that New Mexico is more like the Black Belt or Rust Belt than Boston or San Francisco or Portland when it comes to politics.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 8:00 PM
E pluribus unum

New Mexico is gorgeous but has a non-existent economy aside from government and some of the research labs plus some generous tax benefits for film and tv production.

My gf hates it, but Albuquerque is my ideal big city, were into ever want to move to a bigger city.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 1:07 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Something to consider is that even if a city itself is "blue", the "red" state government is in charge. Republican governors and state legislators have made it a habit to pre-empt local government decisions with state laws if it is politically worthwhile for them to do.

For a liberal city to be able to reflect the will of its people, it has to be in a state which is overall more moderate or balanced between the two parties. Or be such a dominant portion of all votes that it can't be told what to do. Again, examples would be Minneapolis or Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
New Mexico is gorgeous but has a non-existent economy aside from government and some of the research labs plus some generous tax benefits for film and tv production.

My gf hates it, but Albuquerque is my ideal big city, were into ever want to move to a bigger city.
Oil and gas is a major contributor to the state's economy, and especially to its tax revenues. Eastern New Mexico is easy to forget about, but it does matter a lot. It has oil fields, refineries, mines, agriculture, and bigger plains towns like Roswell, Hobbs, Carlsbad. New Mexico as a whole just doesn't have a lot of people so these places likely represent a nontrivial percentage of the population and GDP.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Seattle, Chicago, or Philadelphia. If I had to pick a cheaper, but still liberal place to move to, it'd be one of these cities.
Seattle, and to a lesser extent Chicago, are only cheap if you are from the Bay.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 2:52 AM

I think you can find liberal cities in even some of the red states, and conservative pocket in cities in blue states. For example, New Orleans, Ft Lauderdale, St Petersburg, and Atlanta, and even the city of Dallas itself as relative liberal but surrounded by conservative areas. Not sure what you consider 'cheap', but places like Columbus and Pittsburgh, and even Philadephia and Chicago are more affordable than NYC and the West Coast. Are you looking for an area that will undergo a progressive transformation and growth spurt like Denver and Colorado has done? Tough to speculate, but 30 years ago Illinois was Republican and conservative and Chicago had strongly conservative sections of the city despite being democratic.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 9:31 PM

I'd say Minneapolis is the obvious candidate here. Also maybe Baltimore? Though it doesn't have as strong a progressive bent, it's in one of the more liberal states.

In other parts of the midwest, I think you could make a case for Milwaukee, but Madison is no longer affordable.

Others, I'd say yes, perhaps Tucson and Albuquerque, which are fairly interchangeable. But Tucson is easier to move to/find a job from out of state - NM is very insular (part of why the culture has remained so unique).

Outside of ABQ and Tucson though, the pickings are very slim for affordable and liberal places in the west - the liberal college towns or progressive small cities tend to be very expensive.

In the south, I first thought of the research triangle, but i think prices have gone up to the point where it's no longer affordable.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 10:47 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Is Dallas considered a liberal city with all of the transplants lately? Those property prices are just sweet.

Quite affordable compared to NJ and especially California.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 12:00 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Is Dallas considered a liberal city with all of the transplants lately? Those property prices are just sweet.

Quite affordable compared to NJ and especially California.
It's not coastal liberal but it's still fairly liberal. All the major Texas cities are now. Ft. Worth is probably the only major conservative city left and that's changing.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 2:32 AM

really, every "city" is probably blue leaning by default even if the metro votes red. so really, this thread should be whats the city with the lowest cost of living? your answer is fort wayne, indiana!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaharocks View Post
In the south, I first thought of the research triangle, but i think prices have gone up to the point where it's no longer affordable.
It's still relatively affordable although the COL has been increasing as with most other growing places.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
See title.

I would say Minneapolis or Madison.
Minnie & Maddie may be liberal but not very affordable anymore. Not CA expensive but not cheap either. If you want really cheap the Rio Grande Valley is that. Laredo, MacAllen, Brownsville etc. The crime rates are lower than you would expect near the border. San Antonio is fairly low cost compared to Austin. Birmingham Alabama is cheap and on the rebound. Nowhere in CA is cheap except maybe Modoc County. Buffalo NY area seems to be a bargain, plus it seems to be coming back and it is near Toronto & Niagara Falls as a bonus.

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 18, 2019 at 10:14 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions