HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
great images keng...you have a nice eye for composition...i definately prefer the ones that are not so overproduced.
Thanks... My photos are never overproduced... Not a single hdr, or 'faked'. all are color corrected and developed but nothing that wasn't done in the darkroom days and through use of warming filters etc. In fact I still use Graduated ND filters.

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 4:35 AM

KenG - Excellent, excellent photos. As someone who "plays" in photoshop, I appreciate that these photos are all about subject and composition...photoshop won't fix that

Actually, these lake shots are so fantastic, I think it should be shared with the general Canada forumer population...just have to find a thread it'd fit into.

Can't wait to see more!

EDIT: Any of the Canadian Shield areas?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 4:38 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keng View Post
Thanks... My photos are never overproduced... Not a single hdr, or 'faked'. all are color corrected and developed but nothing that wasn't done in the darkroom days and through use of warming filters etc. In fact I still use Graduated ND filters.
thats somthing i want to play with is filters should pick my self up a set of BH filters one of these days

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
KenG - Excellent, excellent photos. As someone who "plays" in photoshop, I appreciate that these photos are all about subject and composition...photoshop won't fix that

Actually, these lake shots are so fantastic, I think it should be shared with the general Canada forumer population...just have to find a thread it'd fit into.

Can't wait to see more!

EDIT: Any of the Canadian Shield areas?
Thanks very much, IntotheWest. Eventually it's probably a good idea to share with those from outside Manitoba, since most of us already know of these places. I have some Canadian shield shots and plan on heading out to the whiteshell, Kenora area and as far as Thunder Bay later this summer.

1Ajs... Most of the effects of filters with the exception of a polarizing filter can be replicated in photoshop or elements, paintshop etc, but it does save effort and time doing it in camera. I really only use a polarizer and a couple neutral density filters for landscape images...since you shoot alot of cityscape and alike picking up a polarizer would be a great idea.

My Photo Blog

Last edited by Keng; Jul 31, 2008 at 9:23 PM. Reason: additional comment

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 12:27 AM

Does Grand Beach qualify as the shield, maybe the extreme southern edge???
Awesome storm moving in...unfortunately everyone left...

The lagoon...

My Photo Blog

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 12:45 AM
Datyon, Forbes death city

Wow, that is one cool lake! Wish the lakes were that clear here in Ohio!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 1:48 AM
Movin' on up

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Does Grand Beach qualify as the shield, maybe the extreme southern edge???
Hmmm...technically, maybe "starting" around the eastern shores of Lake Winnipeg. But, typically, it's not what I think of when I picture the exposed parts of the Shield. A little more east, or north would be perfect.

Regardless, a couple more awe-inspiring photos.

I recall seeing a storm brewing in the west as I sat on a beach on the eastern shores of Lake Manitoba....and it was such an awesome sight - still have those images etched in my memory.

Thanks for sharing.

EDIT: Actually - if you haven't done so already - you should pass your photos on to the Tourism Winnipeg/MB sites. There truly is a lack of good quality photos of MB's lake regions out there.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 9:46 AM
Capitalist

A couple of pictures from Grand Beach

source: danharperphotography.com

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 1:05 AM
Change is good

Keng - my grandparents used to have a cabin at victoria beach - do you have any photos of the actual cabin town itself? I havent been there in years, and not much I've found in my searches...

They lived on King Edward / 4th

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Keng - my grandparents used to have a cabin at victoria beach - do you have any photos of the actual cabin town itself? I havent been there in years, and not much I've found in my searches...

They lived on King Edward / 4th
Hi, sorry Feepa not a single image of the actual cottage area only the main beach and a few of Wanasing beach. Sold our cottage a couple years back, their was some building going on such as a strip of very nice hi end cottages along what I think is called Pelican Bay. These are probably million dollar plus, custom built, very large, waterfront in between the marsh and lake, just south
of the sailing club. Probably 30-40 along the strip. There is a newer built up area on the west side of the highway as you approach the marsh also some newer ones in there.

Only other news I can remember is the water pump station burned down, resulting in an increase in tax for residents. Thankfully after we left, as our cottage was, lets just say modest for the area... Cottagers had an option of a one time payment or yearly addition to property tax bill.

My Photo Blog

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 4:57 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Eventually it's probably a good idea to share with those from outside Manitoba, since most of us already know of these places. I have some Canadian shield shots and plan on heading out to the whiteshell, Kenora area and as far as Thunder Bay later this summer.
Nice pics Keng!

IMO, other than LakeOTWoods, the best "shield" areas close to Winnipeg are in Nopiming PP north of Whiteshell.

Whiteshell, for me still seems to be in a bit of a transitional zone in terms of Cdn. Shield.

There is a great campground at Black Lake in Nopiming. If anyone gets a chance to go there, book Loop C sites 1 and 2. You won't be disappointed.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 5:09 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Cottagers had an option of a one time payment or yearly addition to property tax bill.
thats sweet didn't think governments ever did that sorta stuff

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 2:00 AM

Well summer is quickly coming to an end, here are a few random pics from our province.

Riding Mountain area...

St. Leon...

Souris suspension bridge, not particularly high but it is over 500 feet across...

My Photo Blog

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 2:35 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
EDIT: Actually - if you haven't done so already - you should pass your photos on to the Tourism Winnipeg/MB sites. There truly is a lack of good quality photos of MB's lake regions out there.
they hired dan harper local photographer thats good at what he does to do that hes been slowly working on geting those shots for them and what hes got so far is prity spactaclar infaact the photo used on the sign is one of his photos...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 2:38 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
they hired dan harper local photographer thats good at what he does to do that hes been slowly working on geting those shots for them and what hes got so far is prity spactaclar infaact the photo used on the sign is one of his photos...
Dan Harper is very good. Glad to see the city use some of his work.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan