HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 2:32 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Yeah, the comment about capital markets got my attention too, especially since Austin doesn't seem to have trouble lately, not that SA and Austin are the same thing people, just that there is money out there for investment. Maybe that money just doesn't see GS as a good bet.
I am more inclined to think money doesn’t see Lonestar as a good bet considering the length this parcel has been talked about and the number of time plans have been changed and shelved.

There are a number of factors that could be at play, like how difficult the land is to redevelop, how isolated it is, the limited ingress and egress, and the fact that it is surrounded on all sides by major barriers (the river and railroads).
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Yeah, the comment about capital markets got my attention too, especially since Austin doesn't seem to have trouble lately, not that SA and Austin are the same thing people, just that there is money out there for investment. Maybe that money just doesn't see GS as a good bet.
It seems like Austin (at least from what I can see) has slowed down dramatically though when it comes to skyscrapers. This whole "economy" thing is throwing me off too. Like yeah it's not 2019, but all this tanking economy talk has been going on for at least a year now. You're right though, stuff is still getting done in both SA and Austin, GS just doesn't have the right connections to the big $ I guess.

My big gripe with them is buying up this prime land and sitting on it when I'm sure someone else would come along and get something done. If they wanna do renos, by all means have at it, but big projects seem like a waste of time with them.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 1:43 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
It seems like Austin (at least from what I can see) has slowed down dramatically though when it comes to skyscrapers. This whole "economy" thing is throwing me off too. Like yeah it's not 2019, but all this tanking economy talk has been going on for at least a year now. You're right though, stuff is still getting done in both SA and Austin, GS just doesn't have the right connections to the big $ I guess.

My big gripe with them is buying up this prime land and sitting on it when I'm sure someone else would come along and get something done. If they wanna do renos, by all means have at it, but big projects seem like a waste of time with them.
It's looking like a potentially major blessing that they sold the Broadway East project off.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 9:08 PM

It appears there's finally going to be some more progress on this area by next year.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...phase-two.html
Not really sure where all of Hixon's lots are (11 acres total) but it seems like the renderings from before will not be very far off from the next phase they design.

"Now that The Soto is almost full, and the Make Ready Market food hall prepares for a fall opening, the firm is turning its attention to the rest of the 11 acres it owns in River North. That includes the former Cavender Cadillac and Buick showrooms farther south on Broadway, the parking lots adjacent to the office building and a few other parcels...Hixon is in the design phase for the next batch of projects. The current plan is to convert the Cadillac and Buick buildings into ground-floor retail with office space above that. An apartment project is being worked up for the adjoining parking lot."

Old Posted Aug 26, 2023, 4:15 PM

Wasn't really sure where to post this but I had stumbled upon these by accident and thought it was interesting since I never heard about these studies or saw the renderings before (maybe this is something done recently). I know the forum has mentioned a few times how those lots on Nueva are just an eyesore and are practically begging for residential infill like this. I'm guessing these are just land-use recommendations done on behalf of the city?

https://downtown.sacompplan.com/en/catalytic-projects/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2023, 10:27 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWalk99 View Post
Wasn't really sure where to post this but I had stumbled upon these by accident and thought it was interesting since I never heard about these studies or saw the renderings before (maybe this is something done recently). I know the forum has mentioned a few times how those lots on Nueva are just an eyesore and are practically begging for residential infill like this. I'm guessing these are just land-use recommendations done on behalf of the city?

https://downtown.sacompplan.com/en/catalytic-projects/

That would be amazing.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 6:09 PM

Being reported Weston Urban has bought the Soap Factory Apartments. Beyond ecstatic for this news. They have long been one of the biggest eyesores in the central core. Hopefully this means redevelopment into something more compact and urban. They sit on three different sites, enabling them to potentially redevelop one site at a time.

Last edited by Onward; Sep 6, 2023 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 6:31 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Being reported Weston Urban has bought the Soap Factory Apartments. Beyond ecstatic for this news. They have long been one of the biggest eyesores in the central core. Hopefully this means redevelopment into something more compact and urban. They sit on three different sites, enabling them to potentially redevelop one site at a time.
Don't people live there? I guess they'll be evicted?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Weston is really owning the monopoly board of west downtown lol. Glad to see this though. Such an eye sore and a good spot for a tower.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Don't people live there? I guess they'll be evicted?
Currently yes, its beyond my knowledge how that plays out though. But like I said, the apartments are on three different sites. Maybe they redevelop one at a time or perhaps they just go all in and develop everything at once.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Weston is really owning the monopoly board of west downtown lol. Glad to see this though. Such an eye sore and a good spot for a tower.
That they are. Perfect scenario with Weston Urban vs what would have happened if certain other developers got their hands on the site. I could see something with a bit of height on the smallest of the three sites. The one right next to San Pedro Creek. It would also provide great views of downtown.

This may be out there, but would one of the other two sites be large enough for the proposed new Missions Stadium? They seem a bit too small, but I'm unsure. The one along San Pedro Creek would make a nice spot for a stadium if large enough.

I'll try to keep my excitement down though. Weston may just sit on the property for a few years, waiting to see how the current projects on their plate pan out.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 10:28 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

I'm pretty sure the last owner did some substantial upgrades within the last few years, I would be surprised if Weston was planning to turn around and demo it right away (unless it was key to their stadium plans). Still great news even if we wind up stuck with that building for the time being.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
I'm pretty sure the last owner did some substantial upgrades within the last few years, I would be surprised if Weston was planning to turn around and demo it right away (unless it was key to their stadium plans). Still great news even if we wind up stuck with that building for the time being.
Yeah no clue on the timeline Weston Urban has in mind. They tend to move rather quickly though. But true, could be awhile as they iron out their plans for the area. Plus these aren't parking lots they purchased or buildings that have sat vacant for years.

Express News now has an article on the purchase with more details. Apparently Weston Urban did a land swap with the city as well. They now own the entire block. Also mentions request for rezoning the lots they own on the other side of San Pedro Creek.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 4:32 PM

Here is a new article regarding those other Weston Urban parcels. Some pretty exciting stuff is now possible given the zoning change. Interested to see how this will fit in with the Soap Factory though - I wonder if that purchase just has demolition in mind or maybe they will integrate that into whatever new housing is built at these other parcels?

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...g-camaron.html

"A recent zoning change opens up the possibility for more housing downtown from a local developer. The Zoning Commission this week approved developer Weston Urban's application to apply the more liberal "D" zoning designation to the properties it owns at 526 and 610 Camaron St., 118, 124, 126 and 204 Kingsbury St. and 615, 639 and 617 N. Flores St. The parcels sit across the street from the Fox Tech High School campus...The commission granted the change to "D" which applies to downtown properties. It allows for a number of uses, including apartments, hotels, offices and restaurants."

Last edited by CWalk99; Sep 7, 2023 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 7:45 PM

I thought I read something a while ago that they bought the lot where that Alamo used car dealership was, and an empty plot directly south of that. I could be wrong though.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 9:32 PM

Quote:
I thought I read something a while ago that they bought the lot where that Alamo used car dealership was, and an empty plot directly south of that. I could be wrong though.

I think I found what you're talking about here-
This first pic is from an Express News article last year where Weston was attempting to purchase the land from the Toomey family but apparently they wouldn't sell
This photo also shows the land that was just re-zoned by the City in green. Also I may be confused but it seems like the land swap never occurred and SAISD still owns the parcel in red?

And this is from the article today about the re-zoning:

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 9:45 PM
JACKinBeantown

I sure hope it's a domed stadium. Because San Antonio... in the summer.

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2l...rZa8/giphy.gif

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWalk99 View Post

I think I found what you're talking about here-
This first pic is from an Express News article last year where Weston was attempting to purchase the land from the Toomey family but apparently they wouldn't sell
This photo also shows the land that was just re-zoned by the City in green. Also I may be confused but it seems like the land swap never occurred and SAISD still owns the parcel in red?

And this is from the article today about the re-zoning:

Yeah was a bummer they couldn't reach a deal. I'm sure they're waiting for Weston Urban to develop the area. Once land values rise then they will sell.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 10:18 PM

Jack, I can't think of any domed AA or AAA stadiums. So I wouldn't get your hopes up. Way too much money. If a stadium goes in the area it will be the standard outdoor type.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Jack, I can't think of any domed AA or AAA stadiums. So I wouldn't get your hopes up. Way too much money. If a stadium goes in the area it will be the standard outdoor type.
Yup, and lots of night games.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio