HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 1:05 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertS4 View Post
I agree that glass isn't everything for it to look nice but we need it. We have so many building that don't have much glass that it will look nice if we had buildings with glass to mix in. The glass curtain looks great but other side is lacking, I would gladly give up glass on one side to get some on the other
Yes, but a suburban looking glass building should not be something we need on the riverwalk. Sacrificing good design for the sake of glass because you believe downtown “needs” glass buildings is not something I agree with. Look at the new CPS buildings. That’s a proper way of incorporating glass into a building design. A design the HDRC approved.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Yes, they have an issue with the glass curtain because it’s doesn’t do a well enough job blending in with the surrounding buildings. Again, the HDRC isn’t against glass or modern or any of that. They’re not just haphazardly throwing in personal preferences. They’re following a set of rules and guidelines for specific zoning designs.

Design is subjective, glass for the sake of glass doesn’t always make for a visually appealing building design. If a better design comes from the HDRC recommendations, awesome. I doubt it’ll get worse tbh.
Not all new construction needs to "blend in" with 100 year old designs. Brick and stone facades are a thing of the past. It is too expensive, and restrictive. Certainly nobody wants another Hyatt, or the like boring beige facades, right? Especially as more natural light is preferential and environmentally friendly.

ETA: I'm not saying every building should be all glass, or mostly glass. There is the factor that glass buildings can and do blind drivers. The Frost building casts some mighty blinding reflections in winter coming from the South in the mornings. What I am saying is that a modern building, right next to a Historic one, is not necessarily ugly, or out of place.

Last edited by Restless One; Jun 19, 2019 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Yes, but a suburban looking glass building should not be something we need on the riverwalk. Sacrificing good design for the sake of glass because you believe downtown “needs” glass buildings is not something I agree with. Look at the new CPS buildings. That’s a proper way of incorporating glass into a building design. A design the HDRC approved.
The new CPS is nice but what's wrong with having buildings being all glass. Other then the frost tower there isn't any buildings with much glass. Nothing wrong with a glass curtain. Gives San Antonio a different architecture then the ones we see in downtown all the time. Other people say the same thing about it. San Antonio has a great old buildings but it's time to build glass like other cities.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Not all new construction needs to "blend in" with 100 year old designs. Brick and stone facades are a thing of the past. It is too expensive, and restrictive. Certainly nobody wants another Hyatt, or the like boring beige facades, right? Especially as more natural light is preferential and environmentally friendly.

ETA: I'm not saying every building should be all glass, or mostly glass. There is the factor that glass buildings can and do blind drivers. The Frost building casts some mighty blinding reflections in winter coming from the South in the mornings. What I am saying is that a modern building, right next to a Historic one, is not necessarily ugly, or out of place.
You’re completely missing the entire point of what most are saying in this discussion.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 1:55 AM

Quote:
You’re completely missing the entire point of what most are saying in this discussion.
Didn't realize I was speaking for anyone but myself, but do enlighten me as what others are saying.

What I am saying is that there is nothing wrong with allowing a new aesthetic into Historical areas, especially DT. And the area of this project is ripe for new aesthetics. There are two parking garages in walking distance, and some cookie cutter hotels. Other than the Church and the Atztec Theater, it's underwhelming.

Come to think of it, other than the two mentioned, there's not much Historical about the area either.

Hopefully whatever goes there, is better than that ugly rectory.

Last edited by Restless One; Jun 19, 2019 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Didn't realize I was speaking for anyone but myself, but do enlighten me as what others are saying.

What I am saying is that there is nothing wrong with allowing a new aesthetic into Historical areas, especially DT. And the area of this project is ripe for new aesthetics. There are two parking garages in walking distance, and some cookie cutter hotels. Other than the Church and the Atztec Theater, it's underwhelming.

Come to think of it, other than the two mentioned, there's not much Historical about the area either.

Hopefully whatever goes there, is better than that ugly rectory.
I never said you were speaking for anyone else. I said there are others who have spoke. As to why the HDRC works the way it does as well as take issue with the design of this building. There are tangible reasons for both that you still are not understanding.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:15 AM

Quote:
I never said you were speaking for anyone else. I said there are others who have spoke. As to why the HDRC works the way it does as well as take issue with the design of this building. There are tangible reasons for both that you still are not understanding.
Instead of telling I don't understand, take this opportunity to educate. What am I missing?

I understand the importance of the HDRC, but some of the misperceptions they endure are self inflicted.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:15 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

It's kind of a shame about the existing building there. I kind of like the architecture of it. It's good classic 60s style architecture.
Ditto, it gives N St Mary's an interesting architectural diversity. Its replacement is fine, whatever.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:35 PM

How can we dissolve the HDRC

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 3:52 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Erudite View Post
How can we dissolve the HDRC
The definition of erudite is "having or showing knowledge that is gained by studying." I suggest you study up on the HDRC's mission and history, and the effects it has had on improving building quality in San Antonio, before making your second post.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
The definition of erudite is "having or showing knowledge that is gained by studying." I suggest you study up on the HDRC's mission and history, and the effects it has had on improving building quality in San Antonio, before making your second post.
Might have been sarcasm on SA Erudite's part. Possibly, not sure, but maybe?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 3:32 AM
JACKinBeantown

Let's see his/her second post.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Let's see his/her second post.
Just saying, he/she might be erudite, but lacking in the skill of sarcasm. Certainly, subsequent posts might shed light on the situation.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 12:59 PM
JACKinBeantown

The anticipation for post #2 has us on the edge of our seats!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 11:05 PM

When is the next meeting for conceptual approval for this project??
Anyone??

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
When is the next meeting for conceptual approval for this project??
Anyone??
Today.

Last week's meeting was postponed due to lack of a quorum. (Interestingly enough, an agenda item is to review the meeting dates of the HDRC)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:07 AM

The project was approved.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 9:56 PM
Meh

I did a Google Earth model for it and grabbed a few screenshots to post here.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 11:46 PM

NICE, Kevin!

While I actually like the mid-60's rectory, and while I hope the hotel's design will be improved a bit (I like the curtainwall the best, and I see how they are trying to mimic the rhythms of the church with the stucco/stone), I think it is a good replacement. It's presence on the north side of the river won't impact sunlight access to the Riverwalk, and it is an appropriate height for this infill lot.

It's amazing that when they built the Weston hotel, I was excited at its "height".

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:06 AM

I don't think it's going to be taller than the Courtyard, sadly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio