HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 1:33 AM

PHILADELPHIA | 1528 Cherry | 17 FLOORS

Quote:
49,000 sf 17 story mixed use tower. 1528 Cherry will have ground floor retail, 7 office floors and 9 residential floors. The building offers views of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway and sits near Love Park. A one way vision repeated filigree pattern is to be printed on the floor to ceiling glass curtain wall.
http://www.ambitarchitecture.com/pro...cherry-street/

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 8:45 AM

Best view I have of the site so far LOL....

....the two blue faced rowhouses. (Family Court rising in the background)

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 1:34 PM

This is a neat building!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 2:16 PM

So far I like 3/4 of this building, hopefully that mostly blank wall will be hidden by any future development on the adjacent parking lot.

While the blue houses are old I hope no one tries to claim they are historic, a historic building needs either size, significance or context and at this point these buildings have lost all of their context.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
So far I like 3/4 of this building, hopefully that mostly blank wall will be hidden by any future development on the adjacent parking lot.

While the blue houses are old I hope no one tries to claim they are historic, a historic building needs either size, significance or context and at this point these buildings have lost all of their context.
Great looking tower indeed, but I prefer the handsome pre-Civil War building. I'll never understand why someone would purchase a perfectly useful property like that just to tear it town. There are plenty of empty lots available and in my opinion there is no need to cannibalize our historic stock. I think the tower would look fantastic as the twin of this blue relic.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
I like the tower too. The ONLY issue I have with it, is the small sliver between this proposed tower and the ramp down to the garage under the family court building will not be utilized. If they can incorporate that into the development I'll be 100% satisfied. The parking lot to the west of this can always be developed in the future with another tower.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 3:59 PM

Ideally, you keep the two rowhomes intact and build on the empty lot. I think those rowhomes would look really neat wedged between the modern high rises.

Do I care enough to get all NIMBY about it? Nope. Build on!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 6:05 PM

This is certainly...interesting, creative, and original.
Where's the rest of the building? It sure is squeezed in that small amount of space. The floor plans have got to be small. I'm all for progress and seeing it get built. I just hope it doesn't adopt the name, "the doily building". Another blogger described it like that, and I'm afraid he/she is spot on. It will be interesting to see how the façade/wall turns out.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 6:23 PM

.....and people in Family Court will be able to see you walking around in your undies.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 10:33 PM

That would be cherry if built the way it is shown in the rendering..

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 10:45 PM

The glass is strange looking on it, sort of art nouvaish.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 11:01 PM

Is there a height limit in this area? It always bothers me that they construct these buildings that are the same height next to each other. It's bad enough the Family Court is the same height as the building next door but now the put another one next to them.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildup View Post
Is there a height limit in this area? It always bothers me that they construct these buildings that are the same height next to each other. It's bad enough the Family Court is the same height as the building next door but now the put another one next to them.
Yes there is a height limit in the area. Summers can go over it in detail. It has something to do with the parkway and view blocking. I believe this building would fall in line with it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Yes there is a height limit in the area. Summers can go over it in detail. It has something to do with the parkway and view blocking. I believe this building would fall in line with it.
250 foot height limit within 250 feet of the Parkway

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 2:17 AM

Quote:
1528 Cherry Street - The developer, through counsel, will be presenting to us tonight. This project was previously presented to LSNA for information only. There were no objections expressed. The near neighbors are satisfied and the developer will enter into a NDA with LSNA, which is in the process of being drafted. ZBA review is scheduled for April 23.
https://docs.google.com/a/lsnaphilly...jg5N2Q3YWVjNDg

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 7:04 PM

No decision from the ZBA as of now. They are waiting to hear back from the Planning Commission on their recommendation for the lot.

http://www.phillyliving.com/blog/201...-street-tower/

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 7:13 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
No decision from the ZBA as of now. They are waiting to hear back from the Planning Commission on their recommendation for the lot.

http://www.phillyliving.com/blog/201...-street-tower/
Wow...the size of their studio is 275 sq ft. Are there going to be many takers for something of this size?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Wow...the size of their studio is 275 sq ft. Are there going to be many takers for something of this size?
I agree. That's insanely small. I see the city should sell the entire lot to the developer and let them go wild.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Eh, I imagine there's a market for young singles looking for cheap apartments in Center City and are willing to sacrifice space. If the price is right I suspect they'll be willing to sell them. I've lived in an efficiency about that size during grad school. It's not that bad when your young.

I'm more curious about the office space on floors 2 through 8. These are fairly small floor plates I would imagine so I'm guessing they are targeting small start up firms? Is there a reason they don't go all residential? I'm not complaining about the added office space, I'm just a bit surprised. I suppose it's a good sign of the office sector making a comeback.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
If they can make it cheap, sure. But I don't mean $900 a month cheap, I mean $450 cheap. It's an odd neighborhood despite its proximity to everything. The Arts Condo still struggles to rent out its small studios for $900 to $1000 and it's in a much more desirable spot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive