HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 3:48 AM
Ex Houstonian

Gentrifying Pittsburgh: D

Deutschtown was built between 1850 and 1900 by immigrants who were almost exclusively German. As a result, the area was called Dutchtown, a mispronunciation of Deutschtown. Its residents created a business district on East Ohio Street and a residential district running south of it, from Cedar Street (on the western border with Allegheny Commons) to Troy Hill.

Construction of Interstate 279 sliced the neighborhood in half, such that there is now an West Deutschtown (which runs from Allegheny Commons to the Interstate and contains the active business district on East Ohio Street) and an East Deutschtown (which runs from the Interstate to Troy Hill). Both sections of the neighborhood suffered as a result of the Interstate's construction: some residents moved, their homes were rented by absentee landlords to low-income tenants, and the area saw a general lack of investment.

Today the neighborhood is slowly but surely getting better and many houses are now being restored. Much has been lost; in fact in the past 2 weeks, 3 buildings have been torn down, any many more will probably be lost. But there is hope. These photos were almost all from today. They were also filming by chance the new Russell Crowe movie Fathers and Daughters while I was there today; East Ohio Street was taking the place of Brooklyn.

One of the oldest buildings in the neighborhood built during the early 1830s is now slowly getting restored.

Historic house getting restored, not torn down.

Recently restored houses.

More restored houses.

House getting restored.

Allegheny City was on the right of this photo at one time, then the complete numbskulls of the 60s thought it was a great idea to completely level one of the Pittsburghs most historic neighborhoods so its no more.

Once historic houses are now a Giant Eagle parking lot and a hideous public housing highrise.

Filming crew

I hope this incredibly unique house can be preserved.

Last edited by photoLith; Mar 23, 2014 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 5:29 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Cool area, lots of potential

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 6:28 AM
Eurosceptic

That's my neighborhood!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 11:51 AM
Red brick mama.

What an amazing urban neighborhood. People move to cities in search of shit like this.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 4:42 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

awesome neighborhood that seems to have plenty of restoration and growth occcuring.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 10:04 PM

Once historic houses are now a Giant Eagle parking lot and a hideous public housing highrise.

Man...the public housing highrise has killer view. awesome thread.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 1:29 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
When it comes to Pittsburgh as a whole, would you say that some was lost but more survives, or the other way around?
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 3:27 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Evergreyland.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 4:04 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
When it comes to Pittsburgh as a whole, would you say that some was lost but more survives, or the other way around?

Well heres a quick map I made. The areas Ive highlighted are or were what I would call the cities historic dense urban neighborhoods like the one photoed here. Green are intact to mostly intact urban neighborhoods that are in good to ok shape. Red are neighborhoods that are largely destroyed and gone and or in bad shape. Orange is Manchester which is hard to delineate at this scale, some streets are completely intact and restored and the next street over can be completely destroyed and replaced by crap 1950's suburbia styled development. Yellow is former industrial land where steel mills and such were that are now parking lots, etc that can at some point hopefully be developed. Blue is the CBD and Duquesne University so that doesnt really apply.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 6:22 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamphilapa View Post
Man...the public housing highrise has killer view. awesome thread.
Yeah it sure does, Id love to get up there and take some photos.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 7:07 PM

God this city has so much potential! It would be so great to see it become the new San Francisco, with a booming economy and an influx of young professionals. Move the blue collar aspect a little out and make the inner city hip again. I love the architecture and compact layout.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 8:00 PM
Ex Houstonian

The city has a long long long long long long ways to go before its ever a San Francisco. There still arent that many good paying jobs here, I would know; Ive struggled since moving here a year ago.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
God this city has so much potential! It would be so great to see it become the new San Francisco, with a booming economy and an influx of young professionals. Move the blue collar aspect a little out and make the inner city hip again. I love the architecture and compact layout.
...no. all that rustic irony and working class chic hipsters have been kicking around for the last decade (if not longer) mimicks this. lets not over populate a perfectly good and functional blue collar, midwest city with yuppie dildos. now remove yourself from my lawn.....

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 2:15 AM
Have no regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
...no. all that rustic irony and working class chic hipsters have been kicking around for the last decade (if not longer) mimicks this. lets not over populate a perfectly good and functional blue collar, midwest city with yuppie dildos. now remove yourself from my lawn.....
Where's the like button? I'd like to give this comment a few dozen likes.

Beautiful set, Pittsburgh is in my top 5 favorite cities of the country. Very unique, very rust belt. So many cool areas to explore.

Last edited by koolkid; Mar 25, 2014 at 3:05 AM. Reason: wrong word :P

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid View Post
Where's the like button? I'd like to give this comment a few dozen likes.

Beautiful set, Pittsburgh is in my top 5 favorite cities of the country. Very unique, very rust belt. So many cool areas to explore.

Rust belt = poverty, decline, blue collar jobs that are fast disappearing. Not sure why you'd want to hold down this city's potential when it could be a Portland east = jobs, thriving neighborhoods, more cosmopolitan.

Moving on, the architecture of Pittsburgh looks pretty unique compared to many other cities in the Midwest. I feel like I'm seeing elements from New England and New York...very different from what I've seen in Chicago, St. Louis or Milwaukee.

In a neighborhood like this pictured below, what would the demographics likely be? Does Pittsburgh suffer from white flight or are the inner areas a healthy mix of people and socioeconomic classes?

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3811/...af78e2e4_b.jpg

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 3:53 PM
Ex Houstonian

That street is all restored row homes, mostly middle class people who probably work downtown or something. The next street over is white trash. Pittsburgh didnt really experience white flight since only 20% of the cities population is black. But it did experience the disaster of suburbia with many obviously moving there for the Merkan dream and all that. I wouldnt really consider Pittsburgh Mid western, more a mix of East Coast and Mid west. This city is much older than most mid western cities, excluding St. Louis. Its only 3 and a half hours from Washington, D.C, 4 hours from Baltimore. People who live in Philly, NYC, DC etc probably consider Pittsburgh mid west, but if you live here or are from here its a northeastern city. People in Cincinnati consider Pittsburgh east coast and its in Appalachia so has a lot of things in common with West Virginia. So take your pic. Its neither midwest or east coast.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 4:13 PM

its clearly in the transition zone between, the south, lower midwest and outer east coast. does it align itself more with cleveland and ohio or the east side of pennsylvania? it doesnt seem like it was quite the draw for southern blacks seeking factory jobs during ww2 either, i dont know why that would be, probably the overall scale of the local economy. maybe steel work is a kind of good old boy network. dunno....

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Its only 3 and a half hours from Washington, D.C, 4 hours from Baltimore.
Wow I had no idea it was that close! Learn something new everyday.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 6:45 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Moving on, the architecture of Pittsburgh looks pretty unique compared to many other cities in the Midwest. I feel like I'm seeing elements from New England and New York...very different from what I've seen in Chicago, St. Louis or Milwaukee.
[/url]
A. That's because Pittsburgh is not in the Midwest... though cities further downriver do have some architectural similarities (Wheeling, Cincinnati... and St. Louis).

B. You are not seeing elements of New York... and certainly not New England (a region that was an influence on the Great Lakes region). Pittsburgh's historical architectural and urban layout comes from the Philadelphia cultural hearth... you can see this style in much smaller cities across Southern PA and nearby areas of Maryland and West Virginia (Harrisburg, Cumberland, Hagerstown, Wheeling, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
its clearly in the transition zone between, the south, lower midwest and outer east coast. does it align itself more with cleveland and ohio or the east side of pennsylvania? it doesnt seem like it was quite the draw for southern blacks seeking factory jobs during ww2 either, i dont know why that would be, probably the overall scale of the local economy. maybe steel work is a kind of good old boy network. dunno....
Nobody in Pittsburgh considers themselves Midwestern... for one thing... the TOPOGRAPHY! The Midwest is an entirely different environment from what we're used to. We are essentially the only example of a major Appalachian metropolis.

Pittsburgh may be closer to Cleveland than the East Coast... and the two share some historical similarities with steel manufacturing and Eastern European immigration and late 20th century struggles... but the cityscapes are basically polar opposites (East Coast/Appalachian hybrid vs. archetypal Great Lakes). There is a strong relationship between the two... but Pittsburgh overwhelmingly looks eastward toward DC/Philly/NYC... and the numbers back that up in terms of migration flows. That said, Pittsburgh isn't exactly closely aligned with Philly or even Harrisburg either due to distance and Central PA's impenetrable ridge after impenetrable ridge (they might not be tall, but there's no way around them). Pittsburgh is quite a self-sufficient regional capital in a lot of ways.

One of my favorite anecdotal examples w/r/t regional identity is when Megabus first started in the U.S... they originally plugged Pittsburgh in to the Chicago/Midwest network... there was no ridership out of Pittsburgh going west. We were promptly dropped from the network... but when Megabus expanded a year later, they correctly connected us to East Coast cities. (A few years later with Megabus more established, service extended both directions out of Pittsburgh.)

I've never put any stock into the ChiPitts megapolitan concept... as if some loose sprawl around minor Ohio cities like Youngstown and Sandusky somehow makes Pittsburgh orbit around distant Chicago. There may be a development gap in the Appalachian ridges seperating Pittsburgh from the East Coast... but DC, a region now almost equivalent economically to Chicago, is little more than half the distance of Chicago.

As for the smallish Black population in Pittsburgh... the region is more like say... the Pacific Northwest in that respect. Check out a map and look at what's due south of Pittsburgh... sparsely populated Appalachian mountains and plateaus... regions that never had many plantations and thus few slaves. Lack of population and rail lines coming from the South into Pittsburgh limited the Black flow compared to other Northeastern/Midwestern cities.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 6:49 PM

ok photolith within your red zone neighborhoods, choose 3 intersections where if you had the dough, you yourself might consider buying a home. also, what is the absolute gnarliest neighborhood in terms of current crime. the hill district seems like it get a bad rap but looks like the dust has mostly settled. concerning young professionals in cities in general, i absolutely wish all cities across the nation the best success. i just have problem when newcomers move in and tend to neglect the areas heritage and culture. carry on....as far as i can tell, pittsburgh is still very appalaichian and proud of it, lets not forget that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos