HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 4:26 AM

Vertical Boston

Since I am a skyscraper kind of person, I decided to make this a skyscraper-oriented thread. I always hear that Boston lacks height. I agree there could be some newer stuff (really might be coming) but a lot of these still seem pretty tall to me... (16 over 500 ft, 18 over 150 meters)

This is actually just a partial thread so far, but I figured I had a good enough first post and I have a bit more to add later.

The Federal Reserve. Never protest a building with teeth...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 11:51 AM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thanks for the pictures!

It´s a pleasure for me to see Boston again. There´re very nice buildings there.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 4:44 PM
O-Town's Finest

Although Boston's strong suite to me has never been the actual skyscrapers, this thread proves they have a varied and nice stock up there.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 5:20 PM

That last shot is great! All of them are great. And funny--don't protest a building with teeth.

Looking forward to more of your pictures!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 8:57 PM
Dandy Lion

I've always thought Boston's skyline is beautiful and unique. I am biased (from Boston), but even after living in New York for 7 years I still think the skyline is great. Thanks for the pics!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 2:29 AM

Man and we had to cancel our Boston trip this year...Thanks for the great pics..

Seems to me that Boston and Philly (been to Philly), for that matter are kinda like Montreal here in Canada..They may not be all glassy, tall, and new. What they do have though is history, urban character and great neighborhoods,that can only be appreciated at street level.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 5:15 PM

Whoops, forgot about this one! Might as well post some more before I forget for good... plus, I just got a new better camera, so going to have to take and post some better shots for y'all soon! Some of these pics are a little old but, like I said, I'm cleaning house!

Thanks for looking

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 12:49 AM

Love the frozen Charles River pics!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 3:47 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thanks for this update, DZH22!

Lovely shots! I like frozen Charles River pictures too.

We hope to see more new pictures with your new camera.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 4:21 PM

Quality over quantity!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post

I love this one! Great to see the modern side of Boston.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepper77 View Post
I love this one! Great to see the modern side of Boston.
there is one? i suppose there is but she doesn't like to show that side of herself excellent stuff by the way

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 9:39 PM

and DZH, Boston for sure lacks height but really what the problem is IMO is that the skyline is squat, all the buildings downtown are very close in height creating a flat skyline......Mayor Menino wants a 1000 footer downtown at Post Office Sq. and the drawings looked great but nothing has happened. I am not sure if anything other that a 28 story building being built near the Pru is being built that has any height at all...............we have a pathetic base of Nimbys and are too afraid of "Manhattanization" like there is anything wrong with that

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 9:56 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

My thoughts on Boston's skyline have always been: Lovely but lopsided.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 6:34 AM

I love Boston so much; the longer I live in other places, the more I come to appreciate all of the things the city and Mass in general do so well - better than most other places in the US. Like Dunkins on every corner of every road.

But something Boston does ridiculously poorly is skyscrapers. Time after time, knee-jerk NIMBYs have ruined promising projects. The city's skyline in relation to the region's economic size and national / global importance is anemic. Underwhelming. Besides the Hancock and 111 Huntington, nothing noteworthy has gone up in 40+ years. Just a wall of bland boxes. Makes me sad.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 10:42 AM

scrolled through while listening to Car Talk. I love it!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I love Boston so much; the longer I live in other places, the more I come to appreciate all of the things the city and Mass in general do so well - better than most other places in the US. Like Dunkins on every corner of every road.

But something Boston does ridiculously poorly is skyscrapers. Time after time, knee-jerk NIMBYs have ruined promising projects. The city's skyline in relation to the region's economic size and national / global importance is anemic. Underwhelming. Besides the Hancock and 111 Huntington, nothing noteworthy has gone up in 40+ years. Just a wall of bland boxes. Makes me sad.
yep, me too............well stated BTW except International Place downtown is really beautiful and tall, for Boston.....and that was in the 80's i think

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
yep, me too............well stated BTW except International Place downtown is really beautiful and tall, for Boston.....and that was in the 80's i think
You know I thought of that after making this comment: International Place (both of them) are actually pretty decent, especially for PoMo. I like the giant chess board on top of the third smaller tower. Too bad the only way you can enjoy looking at it is if you work above the 20th floor in either One or Two International Place. One Lincoln isn't bad either. A little fat, but that's the problem with everything Boston has built since International Place - not too bad, but a little fat because the originally-proposed height got knocked down by either NIMBYs / neighborhood associations or the FAA (Logan flight path issues).

I really, really hope that newly-approved Copley Place tower goes up without height reduction. Menino is pushing strongly for this to go ahead as planned, without any reductions in size. He pushed hard to get 111 Huntington's crown, and that went through, so I have hopes. We desperately need more stuff like this:

ArchBoston source

ArchBoston source

ArchBoston source

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 2:05 AM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Agreed, although 75 state street could be another exception.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex View Post
Agreed, although 75 state street could be another exception.
that is a beautiful but squat building. if it had another 20-30 floors on it i'd say yes, but alas, another 30 story building for "height terrified" Boston. I like that from the poster above, "height terrified" lol, so true

and Shawn, that one in Copley maybe a start. They are also looking to tear down the Haymarket SQ parking garage and put a 45-50 story building there which would be nice. I still want the 1000 footer in Post Office sq though. Hopefully Mr Menino gets his wish before he leaves office which he isnt doing anytime soon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos