HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 7:34 PM
LA21st LA21st is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,607
[QUOTE=edale;8711534]Where is Eagle Heights? Did you mean Eagle Rock?

I love Atwater, but would definitely not call it the coolest neighborhood in LA, let alone one of the coolest in the world. The obviously 'cool' neighborhoods in LA are Venice, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Downtown, Arts District, maybe the Fairfax area. I'd say Koreatown and Chinatown are the up and coming cool areas.[/QUOTE

Fairfax is definetly cool. It's probably what Melrose used to be. I'd throw in West Hollywood too, even though it's more expensive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 7:39 PM
montréaliste montréaliste is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chambly, Quebec
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Our patron saint is actually Tony Bennett.
Tony Benedetti, yes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 7:43 PM
montréaliste montréaliste is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chambly, Quebec
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
I’m sure if Astoria was in Toronto we would have 50 threads about it, high rez aerials posted frequently, and complaints about why isn’t it listed as one of the worlds coolest neighborhoods (must be the ignorant American media)
Another segue into a reason-to-bash-Toronto thread from dc-denizen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 12:18 AM
samne's Avatar
samne samne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Eastend
Posts: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
I’m sure if Astoria was in Toronto we would have 50 threads about it, high rez aerials posted frequently, and complaints about why isn’t it listed as one of the worlds coolest neighborhoods (must be the ignorant American media)
Funny thing is Astoria gives me the most Toronto feel of the NYC hoods Ive been around.

Actually Queens in general.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:12 AM
iheartthed iheartthed is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
Funny thing is Astoria gives me the most Toronto feel of the NYC hoods Ive been around.

Actually Queens in general.
I think of Queens as New York's own Chicago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 11:28 PM
Illithid Dude's Avatar
Illithid Dude Illithid Dude is offline
Paramoderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Santa Monica / New York City
Posts: 2,829
Historic Philippino Town counts. I go down there for shows all the time. Current coolest neighborhoods in Los Angeles right now are Historic Philippino Town, East Hollywood, Lincoln Heights, Highland Park, and Eagle Rock. Silver Lake lapsed out of being cool the second the Starbucks Reserve was thrown up, but hasn't really been "cool" per se in a while, at least not the type of bleeding edge in-the-know cool that really separates the fat from the meat.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:22 PM
LA21st LA21st is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,607
Interesting. What's a the coolest commercial stretch there? Beverly or Temple or...?

Are some of those newer resdential complexes open now?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:40 PM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 4,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Historic Philippino Town counts. I go down there for shows all the time. Current coolest neighborhoods in Los Angeles right now are Historic Philippino Town, East Hollywood, Lincoln Heights, Highland Park, and Eagle Rock. Silver Lake lapsed out of being cool the second the Starbucks Reserve was thrown up, but hasn't really been "cool" per se in a while, at least not the type of bleeding edge in-the-know cool that really separates the fat from the meat.
I was gonna say...

What's considered "cool" is subjective; and for me anyway, it's often the case that once a place is established as "cool," it kinda loses its "cool" factor. It becomes mainstream, establishment; where everyone else goes.

I don't really go to Historic Filipinotown, and I only really drive through Lincoln Heights or go through it on the Metro Gold Line, but I will agree about East Hollywood, Highland Park (which I feel is starting to get up there somewhat in reaching that "established" cool factor) and Eagle Rock being cool neighborhoods---low-key, still feeling a bit undiscovered, not as crowded with the "in-crowd," and chill vibes.
__________________
"If the climate were a bank, the U.S. would have already saved it."

---Hugo Chávez
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:55 PM
mrnyc mrnyc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Hollywood is amazing right now. Go there often. The Walk of Fame is still whatever, but the rest is pretty cool. People love to base their opinions on that one strip.
I can't wait until all these new hotels open up.
i was hoping somebody local would say that about hollywood. i thought so too on a recent visit. like it was interesting, well beyond the touristy stuff and up and coming.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 6:01 PM
Prahaboheme Prahaboheme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Where is Eagle Heights? Did you mean Eagle Rock?

I love Atwater, but would definitely not call it the coolest neighborhood in LA, let alone one of the coolest in the world. The obviously 'cool' neighborhoods in LA are Venice, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Downtown, Arts District, maybe the Fairfax area. I'd say Koreatown and Chinatown are the up and coming cool areas.
Koreatown up and coming, or do you mean gentrifying? It is culturally and institutionally a part of the bones of LA and has been for decades. Perhaps it reinvents itself over time, like any stable neighborhood does.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 7:08 PM
LA21st LA21st is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i was hoping somebody local would say that about hollywood. i thought so too on a recent visit. like it was interesting, well beyond the touristy stuff and up and coming.
Like many tourists, some locals think of Hollywood as the Walk of Fame. It's annoying and they probably think it's a cool thing to say. But the younger crowd seems to love it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 7:10 PM
LA21st LA21st is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
Koreatown up and coming, or do you mean gentrifying? It is culturally and institutionally a part of the bones of LA and has been for decades. Perhaps it reinvents itself over time, like any stable neighborhood does.
It's also growing too. In 3 of the 4 directions, anyway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 10:09 PM
LosAngelesSportsFan's Avatar
LosAngelesSportsFan LosAngelesSportsFan is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i was hoping somebody local would say that about hollywood. i thought so too on a recent visit. like it was interesting, well beyond the touristy stuff and up and coming.
Hollywood is awesome right now. So much development, from residential to office to hotels. I think there are over 25 hotels (mostly boutique) under construction or recently opened in a very tight area. If someone hasnt been to Hollywood over the last 5 years, i think they would be shocked at the change.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 6:18 PM
edale edale is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Historic Philippino Town counts. I go down there for shows all the time. Current coolest neighborhoods in Los Angeles right now are Historic Philippino Town, East Hollywood, Lincoln Heights, Highland Park, and Eagle Rock. Silver Lake lapsed out of being cool the second the Starbucks Reserve was thrown up, but hasn't really been "cool" per se in a while, at least not the type of bleeding edge in-the-know cool that really separates the fat from the meat.
Please. I drive through 'Historic Filipinotown' regularly to get from my neighborhood of Los Feliz to work/other stuff downtown, and it barely registers as an identifiable neighborhood, let alone a super cool one. Temple and Beverly are both lined with mostly non-descript businesses, auto body shops. I know of like 2 decent restaurants around there, and I suppose some of the residential areas are somewhat interesting, but I don't see what could be so cool about it. I did go to some sort of makeshift rave thing there about 10 years ago, so obviously it must be super cool lol.

I love Lincoln Heights and I think it's a cool neighborhood for what it is (ethnic neighborhood with good historic bones and some delicious Mexican food, nice park, transit access, etc.) But outside of the old brewery where they do the artwalk, what is so cool about it? East Hollywood is grimey but I have been to some good parties at old bars that are becoming hipster spots, so I can see it becoming somewhat 'cool'. I do love Highland Park and should have included it in my initial list. Eagle Rock is sleepy and super suburban. Idk, this all just goes to show how stupid this whole concept is. What even is cool?
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:42 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.