HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #221  
Old Posted May 20, 2018, 2:31 PM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
It would add some density but not much height.
Well, let's take USAA HQ as an example - if all of their office space was in one tower, which I believe if done years ago could have helped curtail urban sprawl, which is at a significantly dangerous pace at the moment, would've been taller than the Willis (Sears) Tower. Even if broken down into three towers, we would have something like complex in Detroit. But hey, USAA is still growing and they are moving some 5,000 (or was it 10,000) jobs back downtown within the next 3 years. So, that might be something to help start another building boom in a few years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #222  
Old Posted May 20, 2018, 4:18 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,435
I agree. The USAA building is an abomination. Great company, but bad building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #223  
Old Posted May 20, 2018, 7:31 PM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I agree. The USAA building is an abomination. Great company, but bad building.
I would love to see that USAA building off I/10 be torn down and the whole area be turned into something like Central Park. It would be something really beautiful. The landscape, small ponds, tennis courts, and terrain is already there for a great park akin to New York City.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #224  
Old Posted May 20, 2018, 8:21 PM
AwesomeSAView AwesomeSAView is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
It would add some density but not much height.

I would take the density over the height!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #225  
Old Posted May 20, 2018, 9:00 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
I would take the density over the height!
Lots more opportunity for ground level retail that way. That would make it a better city, just not a taller one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #226  
Old Posted May 21, 2018, 4:48 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
again
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: down the street from the taco trailer
Posts: 49,286
Here is the site plan for the earlier version. This is probably where the old 273 foot height came from. That height was to the main roof, and this version only had 19 floors. The mechanical screen was actually higher than 273 feet. I measured it to about 27 feet, which would bring the height to 300 feet. That makes sense with it having 19 floors instead of 20. Another floor would have added 15 feet which is close to the 20 floor version that's being built.

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...tions=&Search=
__________________
Smoke marijuana, not Americans.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #227  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 2:47 PM
Dan In Real Life's Avatar
Dan In Real Life Dan In Real Life is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lost in Texas
Posts: 83
This webcam...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #228  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 4:03 PM
babysal's Avatar
babysal babysal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 115
Scooter Tour from 6-23

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #229  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 4:26 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,435
^^ like button
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #230  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 1:26 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,435
Most of the first floor columns are up.

http://dcpartnersusa.com/properties/thompson/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #231  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 5:15 PM
micahinsa micahinsa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 186
Checking out the webcam... it's going to be 108 today and they've still got them out there?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #232  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 5:36 PM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
Checking out the webcam... it's going to be 108 today and they've still got them out there?
Why wouldn’t they?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #233  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 12:31 AM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Why wouldn’t they?
"Between 105˚ and 130˚F (40˚ and 54˚C), heat exhaustion is more likely. You should limit your activities at this range."

https://www.healthline.com/health/ex...t-temperatures
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #234  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 3:49 AM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
"Between 105˚ and 130˚F (40˚ and 54˚C), heat exhaustion is more likely. You should limit your activities at this range."

https://www.healthline.com/health/ex...t-temperatures
No, I understand the risks of high temperatures, however, 105 degree weather isn’t going to cause a shut down of the construction site, not shoukd it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #235  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 1:16 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
No, I understand the risks of high temperatures, however, 105 degree weather isn’t going to cause a shut down of the construction site, not shoukd it.
I assume you're either a medical expert and/or a construction foreman to make such a qualified decision.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #236  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 2:13 PM
JRG1974 JRG1974 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I assume you're either a medical expert and/or a construction foreman to make such a qualified decision.
OSHA currently does not have designated heat standards that would cause the shutdown of a site. If they did, you could not build anything in Arizona from June to September. It is the discretion of the contractor and possibly the owner (depending on the structure of the contract).

They will make sure to have plenty of cold water onsite and sometimes provide little packets that will replenish electrolytes.

At the end of the day, these guys are paid for the hours they work. If you want to see real heat, tell these guys that they have to go home because it is too hot outside. They are used to working in these conditions. If the project is large enough, there will be a safety guy(s) on site that will look to monitor for heat stress, and it will be stressed in the morning safety meeting. They will also take more breaks. They can even do things like start the work day earlier and leave before the heat peaks. But they won't shut the site down.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #237  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 5:11 PM
AwesomeSAView AwesomeSAView is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG1974 View Post
OSHA currently does not have designated heat standards that would cause the shutdown of a site. If they did, you could not build anything in Arizona from June to September. It is the discretion of the contractor and possibly the owner (depending on the structure of the contract).

They will make sure to have plenty of cold water onsite and sometimes provide little packets that will replenish electrolytes.

At the end of the day, these guys are paid for the hours they work. If you want to see real heat, tell these guys that they have to go home because it is too hot outside. They are used to working in these conditions. If the project is large enough, there will be a safety guy(s) on site that will look to monitor for heat stress, and it will be stressed in the morning safety meeting. They will also take more breaks. They can even do things like start the work day earlier and leave before the heat peaks. But they won't shut the site down.
IMO, the media hypes up the HEAT!!!
As you say, just take precautions, hello!!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #238  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 7:50 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
again
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: down the street from the taco trailer
Posts: 49,286
It was 110F in Austin yesterday. I wouldn't call that hype. It was hot. I know, because I saw sweaty people.
__________________
Smoke marijuana, not Americans.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #239  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 9:07 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It was 110F in Austin yesterday. I wouldn't call that hype. It was hot. I know, because I saw sweaty people.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #240  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 1:41 AM
AwesomeSAView AwesomeSAView is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinfromtexas View Post
it was 110f in austin yesterday. I wouldn't call that hype. It was hot. I know, because i saw sweaty people.

lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:14 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.