HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 12:38 AM

you can post the images from my Flickr on this forum choose your favourite Proposal

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182470927@N07/page1

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 12:41 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktom View Post
here are all Proposals ideas images there are about 85 Proposals so far still going to upload more Proposals ideas images check it out here is link https://www.flickr.com/photos/182470927@N07/page1
This is amazing. Thank you for sharing this link.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:45 AM
Ignore these four words.

Some of those proposals are fantastic and out of this world. Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 2:21 PM

^^ There are some really exciting ideas posted here. I hope the next time the issue of opening P & M comes up, these visions are aggressively pushed into the public eye. It still won't change the minds of the "don't you dare inconvenience me/don't you dare spend one thin dime of MY money" crowd, but perhaps the idea will get broader appeal if folks can see opening P & M will not just be removing a couple of planters and painting crosswalk bars on the streets.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 9:26 PM

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 2:46 AM

I think this is a great opportunity for something more interesting/touristy to go into a beautiful old bank at WPG famous intersection.

Here are 11 other repurposed old banks.

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/you...dings/#slide=3

Last edited by inlp89; Aug 7, 2019 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 12:15 PM

Does anyone how much office space is actually in the Bank of Montreal Building? It's hard to get a good idea from photos. I'm not actually interested in renting it, I'm just curious.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
What a blow to Portage and Main!
How is one of the corners of Portage and Main landing a new, major, public facing tenant a "blow" to Portage and Main? Glad to see the space in 201 Portage did not remain vacant for long. If anything that is likely a positive sign for the corner.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 2:58 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
How is one of the corners of Portage and Main landing a new, major, public facing tenant a "blow" to Portage and Main? Glad to see the space in 201 Portage did not remain vacant for long. If anything that is likely a positive sign for the corner.
Because that tenant was cannibalized from a purpose built building also located at P&M
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 3:49 PM

Quote:
No public facing tenant has been secured. The building could sit empty there for years. If I remember correctly, the same thing happened with the Millennium Centre (which now is only used sparingly for private functions and run by WOW Hospitality).

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 5:13 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
No public facing tenant has been secured. The building could sit empty there for years. If I remember correctly, the same thing happened with the Millennium Centre (which now is only used sparingly for private functions and run by WOW Hospitality).
He meant BMO at 201 Portage as the public facing tenant there, I believe.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 5:50 PM

Quote:
I agree that this is more of a positive opportunity for both the building and the corner than it is a "doom and gloom" scenario. Yes the "Millennium Centre" is under-utilized, and only a short distance from P & M, but I honestly think the location and the Building's prominent alignment (facing P & M) will create a greater sense of urgency and importance to re-purpose the building (and hopefully the entire intersection) than the Millennium Centre did.

No, there has been no tenant secured, but the announcement was just made a few days ago! There have already been, IMO, a couple of really solid suggestions for this building posted here already, and personally I'd love to see more from this mainly "pro-development" group on the topic than just more of the old tiresome "here we go again/why are we so hopeless?" theatrics.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I agree that this is more of a positive opportunity for both the building and the corner than it is a "doom and gloom" scenario. Yes the "Millennium Centre" is under-utilized, and only a short distance from P & M, but I honestly think the location and the Building's prominent alignment (facing P & M) will create a greater sense of urgency and importance to re-purpose the building (and hopefully the entire intersection) than the Millennium Centre did.

No, there has been no tenant secured, but the announcement was just made a few days ago! There have already been, IMO, a couple of really solid suggestions for this building posted here already, and personally I'd love to see more from this mainly "pro-development" group on the topic than just more of the old tiresome "here we go again/why are we so hopeless?" theatrics.
The change in tenant (and possibly the use?) will be an interesting test of how the crumbling barricade-concourse system operates. It's easy to support the status quo when the four corners are anchored by tenants who've been there forever. But it will be interesting to see what new tenants are going to be interested in a property that is simultaneously perhaps Western Canada's most grand commercial buildings *and* accessed by either literally crumbling stairs or a darkened, smelly rape corridor.

More generally, I don't get why BMO would in 2019 (not, say, 1959) move out of such a signature building that has been their emblem to Winnipeggers for 107 years. But then again I don't work in finance. All that said, I also don't get the whole grim end-of-an-era thing about it. The closing of the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange last year was an actual sad end of something: the end of 131 years of trading Western Canadian agricultural commodities in the city. But of course the WCE wasn't in a heritage building by that time, so no one really cared.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
The change in tenant (and possibly the use?) will be an interesting test of how the crumbling barricade-concourse system operates. It's easy to support the status quo when the four corners are anchored by tenants who've been there forever. But it will be interesting to see what new tenants are going to be interested in a property that is simultaneously perhaps Western Canada's most grand commercial buildings *and* accessed by either literally crumbling stairs or a darkened, smelly rape corridor.

More generally, I don't get why BMO would in 2019 (not, say, 1959) move out of such a signature building that has been their emblem to Winnipeggers for 107 years. But then again I don't work in finance. All that said, I also don't get the whole grim end-of-an-era thing about it. The closing of the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange last year was an actual sad end of something: the end of 131 years of trading Western Canadian agricultural commodities in the city. But of course the WCE wasn't in a heritage building by that time, so no one really cared.
Excellent points. Unless I missed some earlier announcements, the position of the four main stakeholders on opening P & M really was't publicly shared until the recent non-binding plebiscite. With the "no" vote I'm sure many people felt the status quo would just be maintained indefinitely at P & M. With BMO moving out of their signature building, and the uncertainty of what a different (private) tenant would be willing to accept for access to their building, I am hoping we could see some real movement on opening the corner.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 2:15 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Excellent points. Unless I missed some earlier announcements, the position of the four main stakeholders on opening P & M really was't publicly shared until the recent non-binding plebiscite. With the "no" vote I'm sure many people felt the status quo would just be maintained indefinitely at P & M. With BMO moving out of their signature building, and the uncertainty of what a different (private) tenant would be willing to accept for access to their building, I am hoping we could see some real movement on opening the corner.
AMEN. The stakeholders should make their case publicly that the corner is less economically viable without pedestrian access. Harvard has already done some of this but it would be great if the others would get out there too.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 2:42 PM

Quote:

I hope you are right. However, I don't think we as a group, along with our suggestions, ideas and hopes for our city has no influence what to actually transpires in our city.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 7:37 PM

Cloutier from CJOB was hinting Hyatt is moving to P&M. Is the old BMO building somehow be linked to the hotel farther down Portage East? or is he just confused

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 7:39 PM

Hyatt is the building down Portage E. There's a thread on SSP for it somewhere.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 7:40 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Cloutier from CJOB was hinting Hyatt is moving to P&M. Is the old BMO building somehow be linked to the hotel farther down Portage East? or is he just confused
I doubt Cloutier has better insider info than can be found here but anything is possible I guess.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Hyatt is the building down Portage E. There's a thread on SSP for it somewhere.
What is the building on Portage Ave E that is immediately adjacent to the back of the BMO building? Wasn't that supposed to be the Hyatt hotel, or am I completely lost here? (as an aside, if the building just back of BMO IS the building Hyatt is converting, using the BMO building would be a heck of a "front door" for them)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan