HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 8:51 PM

Bachelorettes, Bibles & Amazon: Is Nashville The Perfect Model For A Second-Tier City

Bachelorettes, Bibles & Amazon: Is Nashville The Perfect Model For A Second-Tier City?

16 Apr 2019

By Khushbu Shah

Read More: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...-growing-pains

Quote:

Approximately 14 million people visit the city each year, the Chamber of Commerce estimates. This year, around 100,000 are due to show up in late April alone for the National Football League (NFL) draft. In explaining its choice of city, the NFL published a list citing Nashville’s music, barbeque, and Broadway as factors making it the perfect location for 2019.

- Nashville, unequivocally, is an economic success story, and not just in recent years, when outlets like the New York Times dubbed it the “it city”. The mid-size southern city has been firmly financially rooted in a sprawling healthcare services industry and Christian book publishing since the 1980s, and has been growing for some time. With a burgeoning tourism industry laid on the foundation of its entertainment bedrock, the success of its economic development is clear amid the gentrifying neighborhoods and throngs of visitors passing shoulder-to-shoulder as they peruse the live music options while vying for bar seats.

- None of the bars downtown from the purple-painted staple Tootsie’s, to the two-storey George Jones, to the expansive Jason Aldean Rooftop bar charge a cover fee. They don’t need to: he estimates the average bachelorette and each of her friends or family members spends around $1,000 while in Nashville. --- Around 150,000 visitors dance, drink, and selfie their way through Nashville each year, this equates to about $12m in revenue. --- Tennessee’s capital is attracting more than just raucous weekend visitors. Nashville, once primarily known as the capital of country music, is now also one of America’s fastest-growing cities, and its economy is often cited as a successful model.

- Around 94 people moved here on a daily basis in 2017, according to a 2018 report from the Nashville Chamber of Commerce, and the city has added nearly 400,000 new residents in the past decade. Attracting them are 40,000 businesses, and growing, in the metropolitan area. These will soon to include Amazon when it opens a new operations centre downtown, promising 5,000 well-paid new jobs. --- Such growth inevitably creates issues, said Anne Barnett, the co-chair of Stand Up Nashville, a community labour organisation representing the rights of working people in the city. As it battles the impacts of gentrification, transport pressures and the construction boom, Nashville is trying to maintain its unique sense of identity and accessibility.

- “One of the things that makes Nashville Nashville is its rich culture of art and food, and most of that doesn’t come from the most wealthy,” Barnett said. “It comes from the folks that are middle-class and below middle-class. “As people are getting pushed out of the city, these really cherished institutions – even restaurants and music venues – are being torn down to build these mix use developments. Whole neighbourhoods are being basically wiped out and rebuilt. “The longer that is allowed to go on, Nashville is going to lose its culture, which is why people want to move to Nashville in the first place.”

- Nashville’s city council this month approved a $17.5m incentive package for Amazon, despite concerns around how well paid those jobs will turn out to be, and the wider anxieties around Big Tech coming to town that scuppered Amazon’s New York City plans. Barnett wonders how many of those jobs will go to city residents versus city transplants and, if the majority of hires fall in the latter category, what it will do to exacerbate Nashville’s economic inequality. --- The mayor’s office, according to the Tennessean newspaper, insists the approved package is a “sound investment”. The city unemployment rate is just 2.7% and it shared the top spot for job growth in the US with Orlando, Florida.

- The city’s mayor, David Briley, said: “I would describe our city as a place that still has a lot of our southern hospitality, hopefully, in the good sense of what that used to mean. We have become very diverse economically [and] racially.” --- On Amazon, speaking before the city approval of the incentive, Briley said: “One, it’s a good place for them to build, and two, 5,000 jobs was something we could incorporate into our growth and development without being overwhelmed by it.” The Amazon investment will equate to $750m a year, the mayor estimates, based on 5,000 jobs with a median salary of $150,000. He says the city will also invest $2.5m a year.

- But Barnett says: “There were a lot of cranes in the sky [in Seattle] and it really reminded me of some of the same things we’re seeing here in Nashville – a lot of new luxury apartments, a lot of new office buildings and hotels. I fear we’re going to become a city for wealthy people and not a city that lifts up everyone.” --- Nashville has been growing since the 1980s. Its sprawling healthcare sector employs more than a quarter of a million locals , a significant number in a city of 700,000 people. --- It is also the Bible-printing hub of the US. LifeWay Christian Resources, for example, the Southern Baptist Convention’s publishing arm, has over 1,100 employees in Nashville, and has been a part of the city since 1891.

- A proportion of Nashville’s economic rising star can be attributed to the grassroots investment the city has made into its new and existing residents with incentives like the nonprofit Entrepreneur Center, which took shape in 2010. Currently, the center is working with 250 entrepreneurs and has over 500 alumni. “Our vision is [for Nashville] to be the best place to start a business by 2025, that’s our goal,” says the centre’s vice-president of community investment, Anne Elizabeth McIntosh. --- Nashville’s shiny image has, though, been showing one of the usual cracks of success: inequality. --- According to a 2017 Brookings report, “In Nashville, 40% of all jobs (and 26 of the top 50 occupations) do not pay enough for workers to afford fair-market rent for a one-bedroom apartment.”

- The city aiming for diversity not simply in its music and industries, but also in the community as a whole. Briley considers Atlanta and Los Angeles to be the most reasonable role models for the city’s ambition. “We’re more likely to be like LA than Atlanta,” he says, though that might be more wishful thinking than reality. --- He points to Nashville’s diversifying population with the influx of immigrants and the multitude of jobs. Still, he acknowledges the myriad issues that come with success like the soaring wealth and extreme poverty plaguing Los Angeles. He would also like to stay away from the stigma associated with Atlanta’s gentrification woes that seem to have pushed longtime residents out of the expanding city.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 11:30 PM
Future God

It's definitely not the "perfect" model. I love my hometown, and they are doing a lot of things right at the moment, but there is definitely a great deal they could learn from their peers as well.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
It's definitely not the "perfect" model. I love my hometown, and they are doing a lot of things right at the moment, but there is definitely a great deal they could learn from their peers as well.
I checked prices for homes in Nashville proper, and it seems very expensive for an up and coming midsized city, especially downtown. And the state government seems to be intent on passing antiLGBT friendly laws that even businesses are warning them against.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 12:34 AM

More like LA than Atlanta? What the heck is that supposed to mean? LA is building more rail than any other US city. Nashville just shot it down. Atlanta is becoming more like LA every year with the amount of movie and TV production that is happening in the city and of course, neither Nashville or Atlanta will ever have LA's climate or proximity to the ocean. I love Nashville and have even considered moving there post-NYC, but civic boosterism oftentimes borders on the ridiculous. Other fast-growing Southern cities try too hard to distance themselves from Atlanta, which happens to be growing faster than most of them despite the flaws they're quick to cite.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 12:46 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

god damned it nashville, fuck off: love, st. louis (i still love you nashville just fuck off god damned it and let me enjoy your out-city dive bars).

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 12:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
god damned it nashville, fuck off: love, st. louis (i still love you nashville just fuck off god damned it and let me enjoy your out-city dive bars).
Too much winning?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 12:57 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

What is there to do in Nashville if you don't have friends who are into the bar scene?

I never got the appeal. I would be supremely bored there.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 1:23 AM

I'll never understand Nashville's appeal. Northern climate, southern politics, crazy sprawl.

Poor, maligned Memphis is far more interesting, IMO, with blues, Elvis, civil rights stuff, Delta culture and BBQ.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 1:30 AM

Yay more Nashville wank <3

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 2:12 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
What is there to do in Nashville if you don't have friends who are into the bar scene?

I never got the appeal. I would be supremely bored there.
lol, what would you do in Nashville? Probably the things you like to do now in whatever city it is you currently live? I'm not saying it's the center of the world or anything, but I can't imagine your interests are so unique and specialized that a city of two million would have nothing to offer you.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 2:17 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I checked prices for homes in Nashville proper, and it seems very expensive for an up and coming midsized city, especially downtown. And the state government seems to be intent on passing antiLGBT friendly laws that even businesses are warning them against.
It is unfortunate, but those anti LGBT bills arise every so often from a handful of representatives of mostly rural areas likely looking to keep their 'cred' up with their base. The bills never pass... nevertheless, I definitely agree that it is a bad look.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 2:25 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Yay more Nashville wank <3
Newspapers in New York and London seem to give Nashville constant special treatment, and I'm not really sure why either. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for it, but we don't deserve it more than any other mid-sized city, like the aforementioned Memphis, for example.

You know what I think it is? For the longest time, Nashville's (completely unfounded) reputation was basically as a redneck shithole that got constantly overlooked by pretty much everyone. Now that the global jetset (well, English and American jetset, anyway) has learned that we actually have electricity and running water, they kind of treat us as their new curiosity, as if they've discovered a new previously un-contacted Amazon tribe or something. My guess is the special 'hype' will fizzle out soon enough.

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; Apr 23, 2019 at 2:41 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 2:58 AM
disorient yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
More like LA than Atlanta? What the heck is that supposed to mean? LA is building more rail than any other US city. Nashville just shot it down. Atlanta is becoming more like LA every year with the amount of movie and TV production that is happening in the city and of course, neither Nashville or Atlanta will ever have LA's climate or proximity to the ocean. I love Nashville and have even considered moving there post-NYC, but civic boosterism oftentimes borders on the ridiculous. Other fast-growing Southern cities try too hard to distance themselves from Atlanta, which happens to be growing faster than most of them despite the flaws they're quick to cite.
I don't think you understand what the meaning of that is. Nashville is Hollywood for all things country and western. You or I may not give a f*** about anything country and western, but just like NASCAR, golf, or pick-up trucks, numerically speaking, lots and LOTS of people do. Austin would also be a better comparison.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:24 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I'll never understand Nashville's appeal. Northern climate, southern politics, crazy sprawl.

Poor, maligned Memphis is far more interesting, IMO, with blues, Elvis, civil rights stuff, Delta culture and BBQ.
Nashville has economic opportunity and natural scenery, Memphis has a little history but is a otherwise bombed out mess and in an ugly part of TN.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 4:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
"Briley considers Atlanta and Los Angeles to be the most reasonable role models for the city’s ambition. “We’re more likely to be like LA than Atlanta,” he says, though that might be more wishful thinking than reality. --- He points to Nashville’s diversifying population with the influx of immigrants and the multitude of jobs. Still, he acknowledges the myriad issues that come with success like the soaring wealth and extreme poverty plaguing Los Angeles. He would also like to stay away from the stigma associated with Atlanta’s gentrification woes that seem to have pushed longtime residents out of the expanding city."
Yeah, the article pretty much loses all credibility by opting to include the quote above. Nashville barely comes close to having the resident diversity, wealth or media-entertainment-technology-driven cosmopolitan appeal that Austin has, much less that of Los Angeles. It's not a reasonable comparison by any stretch, aside from the fact that a few record labels and talent agencies have small satellite offices in Nashville to support their country and western acts. The respective Los Angeles and Nashville climates, topography, natural settings, demographic makeup, urban layout and transportation infrastructure couldn't be more dissimilar, not to mention one is a critical port city with a globally vital international airport.

I get it - Nashville has finally been "discovered" by big city Americans and is seeing an uptick in local boosterism as a result, but comparing it to L.A. is essentially the equivalent of comparing Charlotte to NYC.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 4:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post

I never got the appeal.
Me either.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 5:23 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Nashville has economic opportunity and natural scenery, Memphis has a little history but is a otherwise bombed out mess and in an ugly part of TN.
Support of Nashville does not require a shaming of Memphis. Nashvillians do enough of that as it is. Memphis has some serious problems, but boiling it down to a "bombed out mess with a little history" is extremely unfair.

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; Apr 24, 2019 at 5:50 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 5:29 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Yeah, the article pretty much loses all credibility by opting to include the quote above. Nashville barely comes close to having the resident diversity, wealth or media-entertainment-technology-driven cosmopolitan appeal that Austin has, much less that of Los Angeles. It's not a reasonable comparison by any stretch, aside from the fact that a few record labels and talent agencies have small satellite offices in Nashville to support their country and western acts. The respective Los Angeles and Nashville climates, topography, natural settings, demographic makeup, urban layout and transportation infrastructure couldn't be more dissimilar, not to mention one is a critical port city with a globally vital international airport.

I get it - Nashville has finally been "discovered" by big city Americans and is seeing an uptick in local boosterism as a result, but comparing it to L.A. is essentially the equivalent of comparing Charlotte to NYC.
He called LA a role model for the city's future ambitions with regard to diversity in the community and in the music industry, and then immediately acknowledged that it might be more wishful thinking than reality... you chose to morph that into "Nashville is equal to Los Angeles" in order to give yourself an excuse to publicly satisfy your apparent Nashville watersports fetish.

Also, all those saying they don't "get the appeal" of Nashville are just being willfully ignorant. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and that's perfectly fine, but if you can't think of any reason that another person might appreciate it, then it's probably because you didn't try in the first place.

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; Apr 24, 2019 at 5:54 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 5:42 AM
Never Dell

Sometimes people mean "it's not my cup of tea" when they say "I don't get the appeal."

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 7:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
and then immediately acknowledged that it might be more wishful thinking than reality...
"might be" wishful thinking? Uh, gee ... ya think?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions