HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 8:04 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatiron View Post
I'm tired of hearing about people complaining about parking by their houses. Unless you don't have a driveway of your own (is this even allowed?) cars should be allowed to park on "your" [taxpayer supported] street.
There's a common courtesy in a neighborhood. I try not to park in front of a neighbor's house unless someone is parked in front of mine. I hate when someone parks in front of my house when they have tons of space in front of their own house.

What I'm talking about is different than the St. Edward's situation. Just wanted to get it off my chest.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatiron View Post
I'm tired of hearing about people complaining about parking by their houses. Unless you don't have a driveway of your own (is this even allowed?) cars should be allowed to park on "your" [taxpayer supported] street.
I totally agree! I've never understood limiting parking via permits on public streets in single family neighborhoods, even if those neighborhoods are near retail (e.g., South Congress). When I was a downtown resident I didn't have the option of getting a permit for on-street parking, nor do I think I should have been able to do so. If parking is a problem, install parking meters.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 1:35 AM
World Traveler

^^ I agree. That alone should be reason enough for folks to vote in better mass-transit measures also, haha. Their next slogan should be: "You don't want folks to park in front of your house? Vote YES for the train!"

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 5:11 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

https://abc.austintexas.gov/attachme...fIipJsylmGtJOI

We had mentioned this project before. 4108 S IH 35 Frontage Rd (the old Howdy Honda) is about to be demolished and replaced with a 150-room Aloft Hotel.

Aloft in Plano (136 rooms)

http://assets.hospitalityonline.com/...7/419235_l.jpg

Aloft in Cleveland (150 rooms)

https://images.trvl-media.com/hotels...02378_55_z.jpg

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 10:22 AM
Meh

Oh man. For a second there I thought something cool was going to be built in way South Austin until I saw "Cleveland".

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 7:41 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Oh man. For a second there I thought something cool was going to be built in way South Austin until I saw "Cleveland".
There's still a chance!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 7:47 AM

I'm hoping for something at least as tall as the flyover. But I think 6/7-stories is it.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I remember the first time I went to NYC (this is relevant to Austin, trust me). I was maybe 12 years old and I went with family. We took a tour of the city and one of the guides was talking about life in such a large city with such density, etc. He made the point that if everyone lived like we did in Texas (because we all have 50+ acres, but the point is still relevant, haha), where would all of these millions of people live? How much land would that take up? Resources? etc.? That's what convinced me that density is good in general - but not necessarily for everyone. I'm not sure I understand the blanket argument against density. IF a person doesn't want to live that way, I'm fine with them in the suburbs or with a larger chunk of land somewhere. However, IF others want to live that way, why on earth would you stop them? If it's in your neighborhood and it adds 10,000 cars per day on the roads (that's a joke directed at the neighbors of One Two East, btw), then I can understand some concern...but do some research and actual critical thinking. I don't get it. Austin and other cities just continue to shoot themselves in the foot. That's why I brought up the idea of slow positive thinking and understanding with regard to denser development in cities in general. It pains me to see how far we need to come, however....
Never underestimate the power of willful ignorance.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 8:56 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...wk3KVVTKBAZAL/

Riverside Resources to renovate existing building and build 3 more at 5202 and 5900 E Ben White Blvd.

Quote:
Plans for a 77-acre, $135 million corporate campus are taking shape in Southeast Austin, spearheaded by Riverside Resources, a local developer with a growing number of high-profile projects.

The Austin-based developer plans to construct three new buildings on 18.5 acres that were part of AMD’s former office campus at 5900 E. Ben White Blvd.
Quote:
The buildings would have a combined 325,000 square feet — two with 125,000 square feet and a third with 75,000 square feet. Pending city approvals, construction could start as early as this fall, with the timeline for the buildings to be determined by market demand, said Stephen Swan, a member of Riverside Resources’ development team.
Quote:
"Our ultimate goal is for 5900 and 5202 E. Ben White is to jointly become a large, multi-tenant office park, or corporate campus,” Swan said. “As the new buildings are built, we will expand the trail system, making major upgrades to what currently exists, and expand it with future trails throughout the land at the 5900 property, ultimately connecting the two tracts by a pedestrian bridge. The trail system will run more than two miles, and be a critical component in tying everything together.”

Riverside Resources plans a renovation of the 330,000-square-foot fab, with work expected to begin within the next month, Swan said. Most recently, the building was leased by various movie studios during local filming, Swan said. The last movie tenant occupied the building in 2016.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 4:15 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

2330 S Lamar Blvd (Artz Rib House location)

3 floors of office ~30,000 sq ft

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink...linkcode=31731

http://www.colliers.com/en-us/texas/...19213/mirabeau

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 2:47 PM

So much parking....

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
So much parking....
Right?! It's so suburban...cool building but pretty disappointing site plan...

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
So much parking....
this is a giant embarrassment.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 9:11 PM
Meh

Yeah, the parking was the first thing I noticed. It looks like 75% of the property is taken up by the parking lot. The old building probably took up even less of the property, but I think if we're going to be replacing old buildings (not that this was historic) that we should make it count. The whole idea of upzoning streets like Lamar is not to run out local businesses and replace them with flashy new buildings but to increase the density and encourage pedestrian activity over car reliant development. I can't really see that any progress is made when new buildings come in that are surrounded with parking while we lose businesses in the service industry in the process. Besides, I sort of think Lamar isn't a good fit for office space unless you pair it up with residential spaces above it.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
this is a giant embarrassment.
though i do like the "monkey in the tree" vantage point pic.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 9:14 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Artz closed because he couldn't keep up with his taxes. Then Cain & Abel's bought it, but gave up because of the City's zoning process. This is what we're left with.

It does seem like a lot of parking. I'm not sure the lot is setup for a garage, and underground parking is expensive.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 9:40 PM
Meh

Oh yeah, I meant to ask about what had been proposed after Artz left. If you view the Google streetview of the property, they had started foundation work on that 2nd project but demolished it sometime after.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 10:32 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Oh yeah, I meant to ask about what had been proposed after Artz left. If you view the Google streetview of the property, they had started foundation work on that 2nd project but demolished it sometime after.
I believe it was going to be called Abel's Rib House.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 1:01 AM

The Music Lane project in SoCo seems to be going full steam now. Demo started a while back, but progress had been minimal.

Statesman:
http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...npMOqXHyD67wJ/

From the Statesman article:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 6:55 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The Music Lane project in SoCo seems to be going full steam now. Demo started a while back, but progress had been minimal.

Statesman:
http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...npMOqXHyD67wJ/

From the Statesman article:
Soil rentention plans:

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...stem_PLANS.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin