HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 2:40 PM

I would love 2 WTC to have the roof line at the same level as 1WTC. IMO it would fill the skyline really well in its proportion.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 5:02 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I would love 2 WTC to have the roof line at the same level as 1WTC. IMO it would fill the skyline really well in its proportion.
Matching roof heights would work to replace what was lost. Still in favor of Foster's OG design since the foundation is all ready to go. Finish the top of 3WTC as well, it got beheaded from 'value engineering'.

Lets get it done MikeG, tell Silverstein to move it!

Credit - dbox

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanBrokenChatBots View Post

Credit - dbox
I hate the stack of boxes design so damn much it looks so stupid

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I hate the stack of boxes design so damn much it looks so stupid
The Bjarke Ingels Group proposal only looked half decent from the Hudson River side.

They sl0ow rolled this development. Just finished up the Greek Church and the Perelman Performing Arts Center so now onto 5WTC next year. Really anything for 2WTC would be great at this point.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 9:12 AM
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanBrokenChatBots View Post
The Bjarke Ingels Group proposal only looked half decent from the Hudson River side.

They sl0ow rolled this development. Just finished up the Greek Church and the Perelman Performing Arts Center so now onto 5WTC next year. Really anything for 2WTC would be great at this point.

I found a larger version of this rendering on the WTC official website -- I found it interesting because it doesn't seem to be a DBOX work, and the north side has been improperly masked into a slope rather than steps:

The image's URL suggests it was made as part of a promotion for 3WTC's opening.

I've just finished my model of the 2022 Foster design, here are a couple of renderings:

Original photo by Bill Benzon on Flickr (CC BY-SA 2.0)

Original photo by Tdorante10 on Wikimedia Commons (CC BY-SA 4.0)

Original photo by Predrag Kezic (Pixabay free use licence)

Original photo by Olivier Fuß (Pixabay free use licence)

I hope that Silverstein may finally make some headway with this iteration, it's a very worthy design for the site and a handsome companion to 3WTC in particular.

Last edited by Xing Lin; Oct 24, 2023 at 3:27 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 8:18 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

That design is too busy and takes away from 1WTC. Foster is capable of designing something much more elegant.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 8:21 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Just go with something similar to the original design so that it’s in keeping with the visual language. All towers are boxy but feature some sort of diagonal element.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Just go with something similar to the original design so that it’s in keeping with the visual language. All towers are boxy but feature some sort of diagonal element.
Maybe a boxy shape tower with a top similar to the World Financial Centers would work as it seems that it would balance out with the spire of 1 WTC. Seems like any building is not going to look as nice in the skyline from some angles given the location of the lot.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 11:13 PM
DENNAB

Excellent work!

Even if it doesn't happen for another decade or two, it'll be a hell of a site when / if it finally exists.

I hope 5WTC gets started next year in the meantime.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 2:30 PM

Quote:
That design is too busy and takes away from 1WTC. Foster is capable of designing something much more elegant.
Quote:
Agreed. I kinda get "Miami-condo-tower" vibes from some angles here. Looks like an afterthought in the context with the others.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 4:00 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Excellent work!

Even if it doesn't happen for another decade or two, it'll be a hell of a site when / if it finally exists.

It wouldn't shock me to see 175 Park rise before this. The demand is feasible but its the location in the end. If the 2 WTC parcel was in Midtown, this would of risen ages ago.

5 WTC will rise, just a matter of site prep and getting it in motion. As for 2 WTC, we may be waiting while the rest of the city grows taller without it.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 3:21 PM
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Excellent work!

Thank you! I hope we at least get to see the next wave of plans, renderings, and other eye-candy get officially released some day soon.

A comparison between the original 200 Greenwich, and my interpretation of the current iteration:

Rendering by Foster+Partners/DBOX | Photograph by Olivier Bruchez on Flickr, rendering by me.

Last edited by Xing Lin; Oct 31, 2023 at 4:36 AM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 8:32 PM
Fake News

Very nice renderings! Odd how Foster completely ditched the slope pointing towards the former trade center footprints. Wasn't that a big part of the design? Now it's stacked with the tallest point towards the pools instead.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Very nice renderings! Odd how Foster completely ditched the slope pointing towards the former trade center footprints. Wasn't that a big part of the design? Now it's stacked with the tallest point towards the pools instead.
It was part of Libeskind's masterplan concept. Foster followed it rather graciously, imo, and it resulted in an iconic design. Now I'm not sure the "wedge of light" is as important of a concept. It was arbitrary and wholly symbolic anyway.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 8:29 AM
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Thanks! The diamonds were descended from the inception of Libeskind's master plan -- he originally proposed for all five towers to have a similar sloping roof that points down towards the Memorial. Foster was the only subsequent architect to keep this design element (arguably apart from the 5WTC that KPF designed for JPMorgan to anchor). The diamonds were ostensibly ditched for cost reasons and to offer more flexible floorplates for tech and media tenants, but we don't really know any of the rationale behind the 2022 Foster design as we've only seen leaked graphics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverVentureStar View Post
It was part of Libeskind's masterplan concept. Foster followed it rather graciously, imo, and it resulted in an iconic design. Now I'm not sure the "wedge of light" is as important of a concept. It was arbitrary and wholly symbolic anyway.
2WTC's part in the Wedge of Light concept is just the timing of when the tower's shadow would fully leave the 1WTC Memorial Pool on each anniversary of the attacks, and is more or less set in stone already by the southern boundary of the existing foundations. BIG's design and both Foster designs all preserved the shape of Foster's original foundations which means the Wedge of Light would still be observed if any of those designs are built.

Image from the documentary Rising: Rebuilding Ground Zero

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 3:25 PM
New Yorker for life

https://nypost.com/2023/10/27/real-e...-in-manhattan/

Developers are betting on the future of NYC with huge new office towers

By Lois Weiss
Published Oct. 27, 2023

Quote:
...At the World Trade Center, Larry Silverstein is hoping after 23 years and several iterations that this time is the charm for 2 World Trade Center.

Now a Foster + Partners design, it incorporates terraces and greenery in its 1,350 feet and Silverstein sports a mischievous smile when questioned about tenants.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 7:09 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing Lin View Post
A comparison between the original 200 Greenwich, and my interpretation of the current iteration:

Rendering by Foster+Partners/DBOX | Photograph by Domenico Convertini on Flickr, rendering by me.
Diamonds are iconic, new iterations are 'Meh'.. they look bland and out of context. Most normies and NYers will be mad at the long wait to get yet another blue-box dud shorter and less impressive than the og Twins.

Bring back Fosters original and get a major FinTech tenant. we'll wait another decade if need be to get good architecture not more value engineering.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 9:24 PM
DENNAB

The diamonds aren't symmetrical enough for me, the other one is more NY imo despite being simpler.

The diamond version looks like it belongs in Abu Dhabi or Kuwait City (not a bad thing at all but just sayin)

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 11:11 PM

I agree, I think that the diamond one is great don't get me wrong but I like the new, more simplistic one way more. I think it would work better with the rest of the skyline, especially when viewed from Midtown.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 8:04 PM
"Think about the Future"

Quote:
Looks looks like one of Foster's interns drew the new iteration up on a Friday afternoon

I'll take the diamonds which would be universally recognized and an instant addition to the Manhattan skyline

Credit - Dbox

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction