HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdfif030 View Post
I was on campus this week and noticed the crane working on the mill avenue parking structure and 5 story academic building has been raised. The university seems to be moving on to the next phase of the project, starting construction on a 7 story student housing building. This expansion of the campus encompasses the entire block from Myrtle to mill and 9th to 10th street, directly south of Mirabella and Omni hotel.

I used this website to find this information. Interesting, there is a project directly to the east of Mirabella on University labeled “Mill Towers & TDUP.” There is no information on the project yet, but I am excited see what they do with the site given their other projects in the area.

https://gis.m.asu.edu/asucampus/?ext...uilding_9030_0

Have to mention I drove by South Pier as well and was shocked to see it’s already poking above ground. This is absolutely turning into a race of South Pier vs The Pier. It took the former project years to achieve that.
Nice catch! It's the site where the recent Tower buildings were demo'ed. Would be interesting to see what they build here for the "Mill Towers" portion because looks like TDUP stands for "Tempe District Utility Plant".

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Nice catch! It's the site where the recent Tower buildings were demo'ed. Would be interesting to see what they build here for the "Mill Towers" portion because looks like TDUP stands for "Tempe District Utility Plant".
Reached out to the project manager to see if there is any news on the site. Will post if I hear anything useful!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 6:05 AM

I believe it is construction laydown to support the projects just down Myrtle, one of which is indeed a utility plant. Would not surprise me, though, to see a project announced for it once they don't need the land. If it were redeveloped for academic use, HIDA would be the most likely tenant given that it's the primary space user in that area of campus.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2024, 3:50 PM

Do any of y'all know if ASU has an updated masterplan for any of their campuses?? Last I checked they still had the ones listed that were developed around 2010?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2024, 5:36 PM
Skyriser

No, but ASU never sticks to any of their plans. Unless it's funded and approved it's just meaningless speculation.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 5:20 AM

Owners of Westin Tempe defaulted on loan payments and the property is to be auctioned off in April to highest bidder. Many of the new developments have been hotels. I hope this is just a one off and doesn't dissuade future developers or lendes in this sector.

https://www.connectcre.com/stories/w...es-to-auction/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 6:27 AM
Skyriser

I have to wonder if this hotel is performing. The rates don't "seem" high enough for a brand new building with a 4-star marquee, and the project always seemed ambitious and out of place for an area that is mostly student housing. Adding to that, the Tempe Class A vacancy rate is insane according to Colliers and that might just be the problem.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 4:22 PM

Stayed at the Westin Tempe. View looking south.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 5:20 PM

Here is the DRC packet for this one:

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocum...28249298060715

Last edited by muertecaza; Feb 21, 2024 at 2:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 3:24 PM

Culdesac's crack marketing team still on the case:

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Culdesac's crack marketing team still on the case:

Video Link
"In the Arizona Desert" Yeah about as much as Denver is "High in the Rocky Mountains" or Portland is "deep in the back woods"

This isnt some propositional village commune out in the middle of nowhere for christ sake

Gotta hand it to them though I actually like the development it turned out nice! I nice change from either Garden style or Urban full block apartments.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
"In the Arizona Desert" Yeah about as much as Denver is "High in the Rocky Mountains" or Portland is "deep in the back woods"

This isnt some propositional village commune out in the middle of nowhere for christ sake

Gotta hand it to them though I actually like the development it turned out nice! I nice change from either Garden style or Urban full block apartments.

I thought so, too. I watched the entire video. At first, I cringed - thinking that everyone was going to be wearing a mask. Thankfully, I was wrong. My second impression was that it reminded me of the barrio just south of downtown Tucson - adjacent to the community center. I was a lifeguard one summer at a small city of Tucson pool in that neighborhood. Just as I was thinking of that - the video shows some old barrio in the 1800s in Tucson! It might help - if they would spell Tucson correctly in this video.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 9:31 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcats View Post
I thought so, too. I watched the entire video. At first, I cringed - thinking that everyone was going to be wearing a mask. Thankfully, I was wrong. My second impression was that it reminded me of the barrio just south of downtown Tucson - adjacent to the community center. I was a lifeguard one summer at a small city of Tucson pool in that neighborhood. Just as I was thinking of that - the video shows some old barrio in the 1800s in Tucson! It might help - if they would spell Tucson correctly in this video.
Why did you expect everyone to be wearing a mask? I didn't see a single one. There have been several Culdesac videos posted on YouTube lately by people who have journeyed to Tempe just to visit. My guess is their marketing department is providing complimentary stays for urbanist influencers. What's weird is these folks planned to rent a car to visit a car-free community. The irony seems lost on them, but the rental snafu put them on light rail, which should have been their plan in the first place.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Here is the DRC packet for this one:

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocum...28249298060715
Coverage of College/7th, putting it in the context of Tempe projects with minimal parking:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...e/72635522007/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 7:20 PM

Student housing replacing Super 8 on Apache approved:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...8/72675546007/

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 8:13 PM

'The Marshall,' on the south side of Apache next to Pete's at 1031 E Apache, has broken ground:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...302069521.html

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 8:44 PM

DRC packet for the long-planned single-story restaurant building to fill in the final pad at Hayden Ferry and complete the development:

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocum...40338780586971

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4288...!1e3?entry=ttu

I like the colonnade, it's reminiscent of Gammage.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 4:06 AM
Skyriser

Reminds me of that crappy 1960s plaza where Dave's Dog House was. Desert brown and those dumb monotonous arches should have long dead by 1984 but here we are in 2024 doing it all over again, but it somehow looks worse this go around.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
DRC packet for the long-planned single-story restaurant building to fill in the final pad at Hayden Ferry and complete the development:

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocum...40338780586971

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4288...!1e3?entry=ttu

I like the colonnade, it's reminiscent of Gammage.
The renderings look great, awesome place for a new restaurant.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 4:05 AM

The proposed building at 7th Street and College

From https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...e/72635522007/

Quote:
An apartment complex planned for a half-acre lot near the Arizona State University campus could end up with the lowest parking allowance in downtown Tempe so far, if the City Council approves the project.

FH Tempe, an entity of Los Angeles-based Fields Holdings, is proposing a 208-unit apartment complex at Seventh Street and College Avenue. The site includes a vacant building that was used as a student bookstore and a Subway restaurant.

The 13-story building is planned to have one level of underground parking, totaling 38 spaces, with an additional nine on-street parking spaces.

The limited amount of parking would make it the building with the lowest parking ratio in downtown Tempe, but not the entire city.

High-rise planned next door
In addition to the apartment units, the proposal also includes about 8,300 square feet of restaurant space on the ground floor, with 2,200 square feet of outdoor dining and patio space.

Vaz said the developer, Eran Fields, has a goal to “make College pop” by adding restaurants that will complement the activity on the other side of the street.

The site is immediately east of a parking lot that has already been approved to allow high-rise apartments. That project, developed by Trinitas Ventures, is planned to be 28 stories with a total of 380 units.

That project is planned to have 3,000 square feet of ground floor retail and will have a parking garage. According to city documents, the Trinitas project will have about 313 parking spaces.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest