HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Yeah, but it's just not mainstream anymore. New bands are going to have difficulty headlining the Marquee and places like that, but I don't follow new music much in my old age.

Between drinking less being a generational shift and ASU seemingly having been successful at dropping its reputation as a party school, I don't really see a lot of future in a thriving bar scene on Mill regardless of how live or dead it is at any given time. And there's practically nothing in Tempe that would appeal to older crowds like the Milennials and up that still do regular happy hours after work, half the time because they're open too late if at all during the week.

I wonder how much of those Downtown Tempe residents in everything they've built recently are simply going to downtown Phoenix to hang out if they feel up for it and would want something closer to home.
You're not wrong at all as the younger generations seem to dig other genres more but I also chalk that up to mainstream media diminishing importance of rock. When they do discover "rock" bands, they like it. There's just no forum for it in the mainstream now (like MTV's Headbanger's Ball or 120 Minutes back in the day). I like plenty of EDM but like rap/hip-hop it's super one dimensional and not ripe for instrumental creativity in my mind. But then again I'm old! I really hope I'm not wrong though as the world was more interesting when Megadeth's "Countdown To Extinction" debuted at #2 on Billboard's Top 200 back in 1992

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 3:53 AM
Skyriser

^ *flat faced emoji because this place hasn't upgraded yet...*

I'm all about the music posts but if they don't have anything to do with Tempe they're offtopic here.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 2:12 PM

Quote:
^ *flat faced emoji because this place hasn't upgraded yet...*

I'm all about the music posts but if they don't have anything to do with Tempe they're offtopic here.
LOL! Done with my old geezer rant!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
Or I could just upload the current renderings....
It's the Brick Building that was shared previously, but it's now 13 stories.
Nice. Forgot about this, thanks for posting the updated renderings. Love this proposal.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 12:50 AM
Modulator

South Pier has a webcam up now mounted on the westernmost crane:

https://app.oxblue.com/cameras/c723b...hpierlogistics

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 9:27 PM

So I was wrong...looks like this project grew. Interesting that since this project was originally approved at 5 stories... they turned around and requested two more floors....

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocum...10040082249698

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 9:57 PM

There are 3 cranes up at South Pier but it doesn't look like there is enough footprint for three towers. Anybody know if they are currently constructing two, or three towers?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 10:00 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifice View Post
There are 3 cranes up at South Pier but it doesn't look like there is enough footprint for three towers. Anybody know if they are currently constructing two, or three towers?
It's 3 towers. You can see the elevator shaft going up on all 3 pads in the webcam I posted above.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 10:05 PM
Skyriser

This project is so enormous, it's going up next to an enormous project, and it's all so off the beaten path. It's difficult to comprehend sometimes, especially when multiple towers are getting built in a region that had a long history of never even seeing a phase two get built.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
So I was wrong...looks like this project grew. Interesting that since this project was originally approved at 5 stories... they turned around and requested two more floors....

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocum...10040082249698
Nice. 'Verve' is interesting too, very thicc, almost cubical:

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocum...10098500832751

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
It's 3 towers. You can see the elevator shaft going up on all 3 pads in the webcam I posted above.
Quote:
This project is so enormous, it's going up next to an enormous project, and it's all so off the beaten path. It's difficult to comprehend sometimes, especially when multiple towers are getting built in a region that had a long history of never even seeing a phase two get built.
Yeah, it's wild. Here it is from across the lake today:

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 10:31 PM
Skyriser

The funny thing is about South Pier is that the developer had practically no high-rise experience and their previous project in Tacoma was so underwhelming--really left me scratching my head at why Tempe chose them to develop the larger site.

Then they turn around and pull in hundreds of millions of dollars from established capital partners that have almost always overlooked this area. I suppose when you have the entitlements and a desirable site and really one of the largest mixed use developments in the west coast people's heads start to turn.

And what's even funnier than that is if this were going up at any other time it would have been irrational exuberance on par with the peak of mid/late-1980s megaprojects but this just seems par for the course of a rapidly urbanizing submarket with all the bones. It's just those bones have been there so long I never thought I'd see meat grow at all, let alone this much all at once.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 12:59 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Yeah, it's wild. Here it is from across the lake today:

$5 says these top out before the Pier is done

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 3:39 PM

Yikes....I kinda foresaw this when I noticed "for lease" signs spring up around the construction fencing last time I was at Tempe Town Lake.....

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...pe-campus.html

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Yikes....I kinda foresaw this when I noticed "for lease" signs spring up around the construction fencing last time I was at Tempe Town Lake.....

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...pe-campus.html
Yeah came to post! Signal of the bad shape of the commercial leasing market. nobody needs the kind of sqft they did pre 2020

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 7:57 PM

So how is Tempe suppose to absorb the Novus phase II, Marina Heights Phase II, Rio 101, The Grande's next phase, Watermark II, The Pier's next phase which includes office....I mean is the Beam even leased up?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 10:40 PM

Quote:
So how is Tempe suppose to absorb the Novus phase II, Marina Heights Phase II, Rio 101, The Grande's next phase, Watermark II, The Pier's next phase which includes office....I mean is the Beam even leased up?
The information I have is that the grand is moving to do more residential and MU spaces, watermark phase two might be residential mixed use as well with current trends, or just sit empty for a while. Not sure about The Pier, but that is prime office space so it would likely lease before other properties as the prime office market is doing better than subprime. I would love to see more condos in the area, but yet to have seen that, or even condo/hotel combo at watermark.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 6:39 PM

Coverage of the student housing replacing the Super 8:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...t/72314902007/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Coverage of the student housing replacing the Super 8:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...t/72314902007/

There is fencing up around the hotel across the street....looks like that 7 story one will be getting going soon...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 5:54 PM

Slay

I was on campus this week and noticed the crane working on the mill avenue parking structure and 5 story academic building has been raised. The university seems to be moving on to the next phase of the project, starting construction on a 7 story student housing building. This expansion of the campus encompasses the entire block from Myrtle to mill and 9th to 10th street, directly south of Mirabella and Omni hotel.

I used this website to find this information. Interesting, there is a project directly to the east of Mirabella on University labeled “Mill Towers & TDUP.” There is no information on the project yet, but I am excited see what they do with the site given their other projects in the area.

https://gis.m.asu.edu/asucampus/?ext...uilding_9030_0

Have to mention I drove by South Pier as well and was shocked to see it’s already poking above ground. This is absolutely turning into a race of South Pier vs The Pier. It took the former project years to achieve that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest