HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 8:49 PM

Two new bars to open in the old Rula Bula space in Tempe

Finally an update on the old Rula Bula location. Sake Haus was scrapped and 2 new bar concepts will open instead by November. Idle Hands sounds promising...

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...xpect-17178443

Quote:
Two concepts with different personas are slated to call the former Rula Bula building on Mill Avenue and Fourth Street in downtown Tempe home.

Devil’s Hideaway, a bar, eatery, adult playground and live music spot; and Idle Hands Enchanted Cocktail Bar, a cocktail bar flaunting higher-end libations, will occupy the 1888 historic structure that has been vacant since the beloved Irish pub closed four years ago.

Both establishments are poised for a November opening, according to owner Julian Wright. This will be the latest in three planned iterations for the space since Wright signed the lease in 2019. Previously, Wright eyed it for the second location of his downtown Phoenix sushi bar Sake Haus, but scrapped that plan. He considered opening a steakhouse before that. However, this new duo of bars looks to be the plan that sticks.

A hidden second concept
Wright has also taken over the 800-square-foot retail space to the south of the restaurant, which had previously housed a vape shop. Here, he plans to open Idle Hands, a bar accessed via a hallway by the Devil’s Hideaway kitchen. With the clandestine entry and no entrance from the street, the concept gives off a speakeasy-like aura.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 9:03 PM

/\ Sounds nice in theory, but this is Mill Ave we're talking about. College kids and young 20s with limited funds in some cases don't want a high end libation bar. They want 1cent cheap beers until someone uses the bathroom, a couple beer/seltzer tubs, quick and good looking bartenders, some music, TVs, and maybe a dart board or two.

This type of fun, cheaper, college bar concept worked for decades... maybe costs are too high now to make it pencil? Maybe Devil's Hideway will hit some of the sweet spots?

I can almost guarantee these new concepts if they're ultimately too high-end won't stick around unfortunately.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Finally an update on the old Rula Bula location. Sake Haus was scrapped and 2 new bar concepts will open instead by November. Idle Hands sounds promising...

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...xpect-17178443
Renderings seem cool. I was waiting for some reporting on this, they've had signage up on the windows for the dual concept for the past week or two.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
/\ Sounds nice in theory, but this is Mill Ave we're talking about. College kids and young 20s with limited funds in some cases don't want a high end libation bar. They want 1cent cheap beers until someone uses the bathroom, a couple beer/seltzer tubs, quick and good looking bartenders, some music, TVs, and maybe a dart board or two.

This type of fun, cheaper, college bar concept worked for decades... maybe costs are too high now to make it pencil? Maybe Devil's Hideway will hit some of the sweet spots?

I can almost guarantee these new concepts if they're ultimately too high-end won't stick around unfortunately.
Id beg to differ. There are plenty of twenty/thirty somethings living and working in tempe that would LOVE for a concept that isn't pandering to the cheap young crowd. I being one of them. There are not a lot of cool places to grab a drink that are nicer or have a lounge type atmosphere. Thats why we go to dtphx instead.
If mill had a nicer bar we'd actually go, but we don't since its for 21-23 year olds and those who are younger that manage to get in with fake ID's. If they want more money on mill they need to open bars or lounges or restaurants that are for non-college students. I will note, however, that it seems like the "older" crowd will likely spend their time in the nous corridor area, so this may not be the intent for Mill.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 9:16 PM

A library at ASU (with a lot of Federal funds) to honor John McCain

McCain's legacy to be preserved in new ASU library

President Joe Biden was in Arizona for the announcement that federal funds will be sent to the state to contribute to the construction of the national library on a 22.5-acre site on the Arizona State University campus in Tempe honoring the legacy of Sen. John McCain.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...hn-mccain.html

Where will this be? The article mentions Tempe.

Last edited by CBar; Sep 28, 2023 at 9:29 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 9:22 PM

Found the information at https://news.asu.edu/20230928-univer...ry-john-mccain

"The project will rejuvenate an often-overlooked 22.5-acre part of ASU near Mill Avenue and Curry Road, across Tempe Town Lake and north of the university’s Tempe campus.

ASU has owned the site since 1980. Now home to the university’s community services building, the location by Papago Park offers elevated views of the nearby Rio Salado riverbed, Tempe Town Lake, the city of Tempe and the ASU campus."

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBar View Post
Found the information at https://news.asu.edu/20230928-univer...ry-john-mccain

"The project will rejuvenate an often-overlooked 22.5-acre part of ASU near Mill Avenue and Curry Road, across Tempe Town Lake and north of the university’s Tempe campus.

ASU has owned the site since 1980. Now home to the university’s community services building, the location by Papago Park offers elevated views of the nearby Rio Salado riverbed, Tempe Town Lake, the city of Tempe and the ASU campus."
Came here to post this, exciting news!

Looking at the old CSB site, I'm guessing the existing building gets demo'ed and the library built on top of it? I remember being an intern during my ASU days in the mid-2000s and this building was creepy as hell and run down. It used to be some type of hospital, if I recall?

Edit: Found it. It was a state health facility.

https://kjzz.org/content/186747/did-...sis-sanatorium

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Sep 29, 2023 at 5:06 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Came here to post this, exciting news!

Looking at the old CSB site, I'm guessing the existing building gets demo'ed and the library built on top of it? I remember being an intern during my ASU days in the mid-200s and this building was creepy as hell and run down. It used to be some type of hospital, if I recall?

Edit: Found it. It was a state health facility.

Back in the 80s my sister had 4 eye surgeries. It was a children's hospital then run by the state as we didn't have money for the surgeries.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoPhoenician View Post
Back in the 80s my sister had 4 eye surgeries. It was a children's hospital then run by the state as we didn't have money for the surgeries.
I always wonderd what that building was, thought it was an old looney hospital

I need not get into my feelsing about old Maverick but national libraries are ncie event spaces if nothing else so bring it on!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

I need not get into my feelsing about old Maverick but national libraries are ncie event spaces if nothing else so bring it on!
I’m hoping for that too, along with some potentially really nice views of downtown Tempe and Camelback. If it’s perched on a bit of a hill, which I think the current building is, this should be particle. This has the chance to be really cool addition to the valley.

Last edited by locolife; Oct 1, 2023 at 3:59 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 4:28 PM
Skyriser

The views are definitely there.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qKs8wHT21S2m9NTm7

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

It was a TB sanatorium apparently. And this article says that the basement of the old 1930s building that was replaced by the current 1960s building is still intact under the parking lot.

I hope they take their time in demo to see what's under there.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 8:01 PM
Skyriser

I have a hard time believing there's anything of value left over.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
It was a TB sanatorium apparently. And this article says that the basement of the old 1930s building that was replaced by the current 1960s building is still intact under the parking lot.

I hope they take their time in demo to see what's under there.
TB sanatorium turned into hospital. Hospital abandoned, and then plowed under to create a library for a tortured Veteran, while never investigating what was buried below...

Oh, man, if this isn't turned into a script for a horror movie, I'll have to write it myself.

Last edited by DesertRay; Oct 1, 2023 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 2:12 PM

ASU building behind Omni

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 5:16 PM

AZBOR - ASU Updates

Some interesting tidbits in the latest AZBOR meeting.

https://arizonastateu.sharepoint.com...YTVWBhd2LgO1ug

Items of note (hopefully I'm reading the Capital Improvement Plans right. Pg 207):
  • ISTB9 will begin construction and will be next to Walton Center for Planetary Health building (FY 2025)
  • East Athletic Village Tennis, Track, and Field Facilities (FY 2025)
  • Desert Financial Arena Renovations (FY 2026-28)
  • I didn't see any mention of the planned ASU Football Practice Facility next to SDS. Bummer

The Annual 2023 Novus Report starts on pg 470.
  1. High-end boutique hotel on Parcel 3A will break ground on Q2 2024
  2. Updates on Parcel 4A and 5F below.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 9:28 PM

This month we hit the 6 year anniversary of when the Pier tower crane was being assembled in October 2017.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=7269

They are working on the 23rd of 24 floors on the west tower. So close!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 12:14 AM

Quote:

Items of note (hopefully I'm reading the Capital Improvement Plans right. Pg 207):
  • ISTB9 will begin construction and will be next to Walton Center for Planetary Health building (FY 2025)
  • East Athletic Village Tennis, Track, and Field Facilities (FY 2025)
  • Desert Financial Arena Renovations (FY 2026-28)
  • I didn't see any mention of the planned ASU Football Practice Facility next to SDS. Bummer

The Annual 2023 Novus Report starts on pg 470.
  1. High-end boutique hotel on Parcel 3A will break ground on Q2 2024
  2. Updates on Parcel 4A and 5F below.

Is it just me or does parcel 5F give off Optima vibes? Could Optima Tempe be in the making?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
This month we hit the 6 year anniversary of when the Pier tower crane was being assembled in October 2017.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=7269

They are working on the 23rd of 24 floors on the west tower. So close!
I have a hard time understanding how this company is making money with this construction timeline.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 5:13 PM

Quote:

[LIST=1]
Next too where? On the other side of the light rail facing University?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest