HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 5:44 PM

Boston's Freedom Trail

On Memorial Day 2018, I walked the Freedom Trail in Boston in its entirety. Here are pictures of each stop on the trail. In most cases, I have two select pictures from each stop.

While I limited pictures strictly to stops on the Freedom Trail, I included two non-stops that are worth stopping at if you want something to eat or drink. Links to pictures are provided.

1. Boston Common (1634)
Significant as the oldest public park in the United States, and possibly the oldest urban public park in the world. It was used as a training ground for militia, and as a site for political rallies leading up to the Revolution.

2. Massachusetts State House (1797)
Significant as the current capitol of Massachusetts. Designed by noted architect Charles Bulfinch. Fourth-oldest state capitol in the United States. One of the first domed government buildings in the United States.

3. Park Street Church (1810)
Significant for abolitionist history. William Lloyd Garrison gave his first speech against slavery here, in 1829. At 217 feet tall, it was the first landmark that many travelers saw when approaching Boston.

4. Granary Burying Ground (1660)
Significant as the final resting place of many Patriots. John Hancock, Paul Revere, Samuel Adams, Boston Massacre victims, and the family of Benjamin Franklin, are among those buried here. The third-oldest burying ground in Boston. The oldest gravestone dates to 1666.

5. King's Chapel (1754)
Significant as the first Unitarian church in the United States. Originally a loyalist Anglican church, until after the British occupation of Boston. Became a Unitarian church in 1785. First use of Quincy granite in Boston. Surrounding burying ground is the oldest in Boston, from 1630.

6. Site of Boston Latin School (1645-1745)
Significant as the first public school in the United States. Attended by Benjamin Franklin, John Hancock, Samuel Adams, and Cotton Mather, among others. The original Boston Latin School was demolished in 1745. Old City Hall, circa 1865, now stands on the site; a statue of Benjamin Franklin is out front.

7. Old Corner Bookstore (1718)
Significant for being the home of Ticknor and Fields, one of the most famous publishing companies in the 1800s. Ticknor and Fields published works from authors such as Charles Dickens, Alfred Tennyson, Mark Twain, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Oliver Wendeli Holmes, and more. Many of these authors met regularly at the bookstore.

8. Old South Meetinghouse (1729)
Significant as the organizing point for the Boston Tea Party in 1773. The British occupied the church in 1775 due to its Revolutionary connections. The British gutted the church and filled it with dirt to practice horse riding during this occupation.

9. Old State House (1713)
Significant as the first state capitol of Massachusetts, after independence was declared in 1776. Before independence, it served as the center for the provincial government. It is the oldest public building in Boston. The Boston Massacre occured right outside, below the balcony at the gable end on the east side.

10. Boston Massacre Site
Significant as the place where the Boston Massacre took place on March 5, 1770. Five people were killed from the Redcoat gunfire: Crispus Attucks, Samuel Gray, Samuel Maverick, James Caldwell, and Patrick Carr. Attucks, the first to die, is notable as half-Black and half-Native American. As the first death of the Boston Massacre, Attucks is considered the first casualty of the American Revolution.

11. Faneuil Hall (1742)
Significant for being the home of the Sons of Liberty. The market place held the first town meeting in America. Colonists first protested the Sugar Act and Stamp Act here in 1764. Samuel Adams gave speeches here.

12. Paul Revere House (1680)
Significant as the home of Paul Revere, who rode to Lexington (and attempted to ride to Concord) on April 18, 1775, to warn of the British army coming. Revere purchased the house in 1770. A third story had been added by the time of purchase. It became a tenement in the 1800s, and storefronts, and was saved from demolition in 1905. It was restored to include both 17th century and 18th century elements.

13. Old North Church (1724)
Significant for being where the lanterns were hung to notify that the British were coming. At Paul Revere's instruction, two lanterns notified Patriots in Charlestown that the British were coming by water; Revere then carried the message on to Lexington. It is Boston's oldest religious building.

14. Copp's Hill Burying Ground (1659)
Significant as the second-oldest burying ground in Boston. Cotton Mather, Increase Mather, Robert Newman, and Phyllis Wheatley, are among those buried here. The grave of smuggler Capt. Daniel Malcolm, a member of the Sons of Liberty who routinely avoided the British duty, is riddled with the marks of bullets from vengeful British soldiers. Oldest grave dates to 1661.

15. USS Constitution (1797)
Significant as one of the six original frigates authorized for construction by the Naval Act of 1794, and for its role in the War of 1812. It is the world's oldest commissioned naval vessel still afloat. Its first duties were in the First Barbary War. The Constitution defeated five British ships during the War of 1812: The HMS Guerriere, Java, Pictou, Cyane, and Levant. The ship was never defeated in battle.

16. Bunker Hill Monument (1843
Significant for commemorating the Battle of Bunker Hill, which occurred here. The monument was one of the first in the United States. The monument is actually on Breed's Hill, which was part of the Battle of Bunker Hill; Bunker Hill is just to the west-northwest, and was where fortification was originally ordered. Granite from nearby Quincy was used for the monument.

BONUS:

One block after Stop #11 (Fanueil Hall), get lunch at the Union Oyster House, the oldest restaurant in the Unitied States. Oysters or other seafood are a must. Then get a beer across the street at the Bell In Hand Tavern, the oldest tavern in the United States (disputed by many, including me). These two buildings are literally about 50 feet from each other, across an old colonial street.
Picture

After Stop #16 (Bunker Hill Monument), walk downhill to part of the oldest section of Charlestown and reward yourself with a beer at Warren Tavern, the oldest tavern in Boston and possibly the oldest tavern in continuous use in the United States. The tavern was built in 1780, after being burned down by the British after the Battle of Bunker Hill.
Picture

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 6:24 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
w00t.

That is all. I thoroughly enjoyed this thread.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 6:34 PM
Registered Ugly

Great stuff.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 11:53 PM

One of my first jobs was giving Freedom trail walking tours for Boston Trolley tours and then Old Towne tours after the first group went out of business. Most of my clients were not up to the task. I used to dress up as a Minuteman and when I wasn't working folks would salute me. I knew where all the Public Bathrooms were and I never lost anyone. It was a fun job.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 4:03 PM

Best city tourist gimmick ever! I loved the freedom trail.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 6:45 PM
Beer Stampede

The Old Corner bookstore....Now occupied by (wait for it) CHIPOTLE!!!

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 4:44 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcamb View Post
One of my first jobs was giving Freedom trail walking tours for Boston Trolley tours and then Old Towne tours after the first group went out of business. Most of my clients were not up to the task. I used to dress up as a Minuteman and when I wasn't working folks would salute me. I knew where all the Public Bathrooms were and I never lost anyone. It was a fun job.
Ha ha nice!

Great pics!

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 7:34 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

excellent -- one of the best city trails there could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Best city tourist gimmick ever! I loved the freedom trail.

ha -- yeah, i mean otherwise you could just, you know, walk around.

but seriously, you can lump the freedom trail in with other examples as maybe the first in a long line of efforts of trying to get people interested in downtowns again prior to the booming urban living/back to the city movement in america and the worldwide hyper-urbanization trends we have going strong today.

the freedom trail of i guess the 1950s was at the start of serious urban decline, and the slow crawl out of decline had attempts like for example the 'festival marketplace' malls in toledo, lexington and the seaport new york city of the 1980s, providence firewater of the 1990s, etc..

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 11:58 AM
BANNED

Boston is one of the very best cities in the US. It's my second favorite after NY with DC trailing a close third, and then Miami and Philly to round out the top five.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 8:14 PM

I've never been to Boston but I have played Fallout 4. Bethesda's attention to detail is pretty impressive.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 5:13 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

One of my favorite cities.

me --> <-- Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I've never been to Boston but I have played Fallout 4. Bethesda's attention to detail is pretty impressive.
^ Agreed. The Freedom Trail sub-quest is pretty cool and they did a great job on the setting overall. I travel to Boston infrequently, but whenever I go to one of the places in the game I squee a little inside.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 2:34 AM

Great pics of a great tourist activity which locals love too.

jboston - I mean jdcamb - I had no idea you were a Minuteman tour guide, that was one of my dream summer jobs when I was a kid. That and Duck Tour operator.

And I’m glad to see I wasn’t the only one to immediately think about Fallout 4. I never cared for the Railroad, but their ballistics weave tech is key for Very Hard or Survival playthroughs.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Great pics of a great tourist activity which locals love too.

jboston - I mean jdcamb - I had no idea you were a Minuteman tour guide, that was one of my dream summer jobs when I was a kid. That and Duck Tour operator.

And I’m glad to see I wasn’t the only one to immediately think about Fallout 4. I never cared for the Railroad, but their ballistics weave tech is key for Very Hard or Survival playthroughs.
My best friend growing up was Eugene Landry. His brother Francis Richardson started Minuteman Messenger in the alley behind the Orpheum at 36 Bromfield street. Before then Messengers walked. The Bicycle transformed the messenger industry. It was a cool time to be alive. The coolest job ever. Was to be a Swan boat operator. I applied 3 times. Not even a interview.. WTF? I did get a small part in Nunsense when it played at the Shubert from my gig as a Minuteman...

Last edited by jdcamb; May 9, 2019 at 11:57 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 7:52 AM

Thank you for sharing. It's cool to think about the age of those buildings and the impact of what happened in them.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 4:11 AM
Webster,New York

Thanks for the photo tour! Visit Boston about 4 times a year, haven't walked the Freedom Trail since I was a kid. You have motivated me to walk the trail again this year. Kinda take all the history for granted.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 2:30 AM

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

We probably passed each other, we were doing the same thing last Memorial Day! We do an Ogunquit/Portsmouth/Newburyport/Boston trip every year.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

We probably passed each other, we were doing the same thing last Memorial Day! We do an Ogunquit/Portsmouth/Newburyport/Boston trip every year.
?

Wait wait wait . . . you're atlantaden from Archboston??

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
?

Wait wait wait . . . you're atlantaden from Archboston??
Sorry, but no. I've never been on Archboston.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 7:12 PM
Ex Houstonian

Dang, I need to get to Boston, the last major city in the US I haven't been to. Id love to see all these historic sites and then go up to Salem and see all the early houses and Federal architecture there. Went to Jamestown, Yorktown and Williamsburg last year, it was pretty epic.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Dang, I need to get to Boston, the last major city in the US I haven't been to. Id love to see all these historic sites and then go up to Salem and see all the early houses and Federal architecture there. Went to Jamestown, Yorktown and Williamsburg last year, it was pretty epic.
It's my favorite major U.S. city, it's beautiful. The North Shore towns up through Salem and beyond are definitely worth a visit. Salem itself is larger and more urban than I expected, and the neighborhood between Downtown and the House of the Seven Gables is drop dead gorgeous. The historic housing stock is just incredible.

You need to go, you would have a Field Day with your camera.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos