HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 2:34 AM

Lowest marriage rates in the developed world, too. And we're probably the least religious as well. (The two go hand in hand.)

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 2:37 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Lowest marriage rates in the developed world, too. And we're probably the least religious as well. (The two go hand in hand.)
Not sure if these are positives or negatives!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 2:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

We're also a place where it's kosher to show Saturday morning cartoons on mainstream TV networks (think of the equivalent to ABC or NBC) with full frontal nudity: depictions of little boys running around with penises visible, women with bare breasts, etc.

Thinking back to when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s, I wasn't living in Quebec but we always had at least one channel from Quebec available. And even then occasionally cartoons or other daytime programming would have nudity.

Not sure if it's a "European" thing, but then as now, I'll let you take a guess as to where that programming originated...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 4:16 PM

Yesterday was the first full day of Mural fest, North Americas largest urban art festival. Last year 1 Million people attended. Here are some pics i took with my new phone (finally).

more pics from Mural fest at The514lifeblog.wordpress.com

p.s: no idea how to fix image sizes, or why it's even that large

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 11:16 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I have to go with Quebec City.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 7:15 AM

Artistic graffiti murals are as much a motivation for me to visit a city as their museums.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
Artistic graffiti murals are as much a motivation for me to visit a city as their museums.
You'd love it here then, murals and graffiti everywhere in the city its insane. Many hidden gems in alley ways too so urban exploring is a must here, you'll see art and discover new neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 11:24 PM

Throwback Thursday, Plaza walls at Plaza St. Hubert, they added 40+ murals and made much more since I went. I'll be posting more photos of the art pieces here + the new ones. There's also a nice update you can catch on my blog of the current building boom going on downtown, enjoy

More pics at https://the514lifeblog.wordpress.com

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 7:46 AM

yesterdays graffitti. Today's new "art".

great pics.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 4:04 AM
Leges Sine Moribus Vanae

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djesus777 View Post
You'd love it here then, murals and graffiti everywhere in the city its insane. Many hidden gems in alley ways too so urban exploring is a must here, you'll see art and discover new neighbourhoods.
I've been to Montreal a couple of times and thought it was fantastic.

One thing I remember was the restaurants. What great meals I had there!

As far as murals are concerned I would like to point out that no other city in the world has more outside murals than Philadelphia ... we have 3,300 of them. A couple of books have been written about them, and the are "mural tours" both on foot and by bus.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philamigo View Post
I've been to Montreal a couple of times and thought it was fantastic.

One thing I remember was the restaurants. What great meals I had there!

As far as murals are concerned I would like to point out that no other city in the world has more outside murals than Philadelphia ... we have 3,300 of them. A couple of books have been written about them, and the are "mural tours" both on foot and by bus.
Yup, knew that already, and if I had a $1 for every time I heard that I'd be filthy rich right now haha. Although we don't have as many as Philly, Montreal adds at least 100-200+ a year and we're up in the thousands as well

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 3:17 PM

Awesome Mural pics..I really need an excuse to visit Montreal..Heck, it's only a 2.0 hours away. Agreed about the food..

re: Murals in Philly
I noticed that as well when we visited..There was a large one we snapped a pic of..It just past the Italian market..It was from an ex- mayor. Lots of them around town anyways.

Who wins in a fight..The Philly cheese steak or Montreal smoked meat samwich ? I like how both cities have their own signature sandwiches.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 5:58 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Great pics! However, I'd consider Mexico City to be more unique (Aztec ruins, Colonial Architecture, Mega-City status, Rich Cultural Heritage, Old World meets New World mesh, the list goes on) than Montreal for North America, heck even Quebec City IMO.

Last edited by Urbanguy; Dec 19, 2016 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 5:12 AM

Thumbs up

I figured since I've taken so many pictures of murals and graffiti, that I'd do a best of for 2016. I have so many pictures it's crazy, to be honest. I'll be posting more stuff soon such as the city at night, architecture, new towers U/C, and anything else you guys want to see! let me know I would love to hear feedback of what you would like to see in the city.

From tonight's new post, part 1 of various urban art in 2016 recap.

Want to see more pics? https://the514lifeblog.wordpress.com/

Really hope you guys enjoy the content, much more coming in the next couple of days. I want to show the world how awesome this city is, and how thankful I am to be living here.

If you guys have comments or suggestions, please don't be shy and tell me haha. Cheers!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 9:46 PM

A couple of night-time shots of this beautiful city

(this one is from autumn 2016)

More pics at https://the514lifeblog.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Djesus777; Jan 15, 2017 at 12:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Some Murals aren't quite art and appear garish in the context of the Neighborhood. A Mural appeared on my property without my permission. I removed it and it came back. I removed it again. The next day a van arrived set up scaffolding in my alley and proceeded to start a new mural. I had them arrested and sued the minors parents to pay for the removal. My neighbors followed suit. The other artist was a adult and on probation for graffiti and vandalism. He went to jail for 3 years for his transgressions. He was exposed by his Facebook page. His proud father owns a painting company and knowingly allowed his son to use his equipment to paint his murals. We sued him also. Our case is still in the Courts. The removal process can be very damaging to a brick and Mortar wall built in the 19th century. Murals require maintenance, who is responsible for that maintenance? Rarely the Artist.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 5:40 PM

Debating which city is "most unique" is ridiculous. Furthermore, New Orleans is frequently regarded as such, and quite honestly, despite its uniqueness, I've never heard Montreal referred to as the "most" unique.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 1:25 AM
The New Republic

Agree. North America is a big place with lots of variation. Havana, Guatemala City, Mexico City, San Diego, Phoenix, Vancouver, Yellowknife, St. Louis, New York City, Quebec City, St. John's: they're all quite different from one another. There is no standard north American city so a discussion about which is the most unique is pointless.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 1:29 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

yeah...thing about Quebec, an un-celebrated city like Talinn or Riga does what Quebec City does and more. I find the greatest uniqueness in what a North American city can offer in the context of its own continent, not in a city that reproduces on a small scale what one can see most anywhere in Europe.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 3:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
yeah...thing about Quebec, an un-celebrated city like Talinn or Riga does what Quebec City does and more. I find the greatest uniqueness in what a North American city can offer in the context of its own continent, not in a city that reproduces on a small scale what one can see most anywhere in Europe.
Yeah, I think we should be careful with the use of absolutist language like "most".

I do this myself all the time but try to exercise restraint!

Though I am also fond of saying that Frankfurt-am-Main would be a highly appreciated city for its charm and urbanity if it were in North America!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos