HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 10:44 PM
你的媽媽

Oakland - Lake Merritt

Lake Merritt is an urban park/wildlife refuge in downtown Oakland. Its wetlands were used as a fishing and hunting grounds for many years by Native Americans, until it was settled by the Spanish Army. It became the city's sewer in the 1850s, until 1870, when Mayor Samuel Merritt cleaned it up. Many migratory birds returned, which attracted hunters, but Merritt protected the birds, and turned it into North America's first wildlife refuge. As Oakland urbanized, the wetlands were eventually converted to a park with running paths, a small children's theme park, and recreational boating. Despite this, the lake still features a healthy year-round population of birds.

Lakeside neighborhood

Bellevue-Staten Building - built in 1929, a blend of Art Deco and Spanish Colonial

Cleveland Heights neighborhood

Mission Revival pergola - built in 1913

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 1:31 AM

Love that area! When I’m in the Bay Area I typically stay with friends who live in Oakland. I always enjoy spending my time around Lake Merritt!

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 7:42 PM

Great photos. Love Lake Merritt.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 12:09 AM

Beautiful area, I would live in this area if ever I had to move up north.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 12:30 AM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Nice pics of an area not frequently shown!

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 7:20 PM
Me?!?

Very nice!

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 2:31 AM
Beer Stampede

Awesome pics!! Never seen this part of Oakland!!

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 7:30 AM

Nice set of pictures, I like that guy who is standing there on the woods!

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 3:03 PM

City Beautiful

So Oakland has undergone a general reappraisal in recent years:

1. From "Mad-Max-Meets-Foxy-Brown City" to NYTimes' game-changing "Brooklyn by the Bay.

2. From "troubled city" to LA Times' Hipster Haven.

3. From TRUMPski's racist "worst city" to National Geographic's Most Interesting City to Visit in 2019.

Well, Oakland is Brooklyn by the Bay in the imagination of multiracial millennials.

Oakland is, for better and worse, THE Hipster Haven non-pareil.

Oakland's hot multicultural culinary scene, and its wildly creative and multiracial arts, crafts, film, music communities, do make it one very interesting city.

But one thing that still hasn't gotten its proper due...

Oakland is ––after all the ink and digi cliches on its remaining "grittiness," "authenticity," "inner city landscapes"–– in many ways and places, a strikingly handsome, even beautiful city.

Oakland. City Beautiful.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 2:52 AM
Downtowner

Such a great area, thanks for sharing!

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 1:43 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

there's a there there it seems.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
there's a there there it seems.
I see what you did there there.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Vidal Naquet's Mot View Post
So Oakland has undergone a general reappraisal in recent years:

1. From "Mad-Max-Meets-Foxy-Brown City" to NYTimes' game-changing "Brooklyn by the Bay.

2. From "troubled city" to LA Times' Hipster Haven.

3. From TRUMPski's racist "worst city" to National Geographic's Most Interesting City to Visit in 2019.

Well, Oakland is Brooklyn by the Bay in the imagination of multiracial millennials.

Oakland is, for better and worse, THE Hipster Haven non-pareil.

Oakland's hot multicultural culinary scene, and its wildly creative and multiracial arts, crafts, film, music communities, do make it one very interesting city.

But one thing that still hasn't gotten its proper due...

Oakland is ––after all the ink and digi cliches on its remaining "grittiness," "authenticity," "inner city landscapes"–– in many ways and places, a strikingly handsome, even beautiful city.

Oakland. City Beautiful.
“Oakland is Brooklyn by the Bay”...hmm, how about Oakland is Newark by the Bay, generally, more precise?

And skyline-wise, Oakland and Newark do share some similarities from certain angle(s).

And since I've gone this far, I really consider Oakland and Newark are of w/e coast brotherhood.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 12:34 PM

If it weren't for the Nimby's, I'm sure that lake would be surrounded by high rises!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
“Oakland is Brooklyn by the Bay”...hmm, how about Oakland is Newark by the Bay, generally, more precise?

2. "Perhaps skyline-wise, Oakland and Newark do share some similarities from certain angle(s)."

3. And since I've gone this far, I really consider Oakland and Newark are of w/e coast brotherhood.

1. NOPE. Oakland shares much more in common with the self-aware literary, arts, DIY, and activist cultures with Brooklyn than it does Newark. While Newark was a transportation and industrial hub in the twentieth century, Oakland was these as well, but also a major port city–-as was Brooklyn on the Hudson until well into the twentieth century.

The only thing that perhaps "links" Newark and Oakland are the large African-American communities, which had fled the state-supported racial terrorism of the South by rail. But even here, Oakland differs substantially, in that its African diaspora communities were and remain far more diverse than Newark's, entailing Deep South, South-East, South-West, Caribbean, West African, East-African, and Euro-African (French, British, German, etc.) communities. Additionally, Oakland, which has one of the most diverse populations overall in the entire nation, has a great deal of culturally, racially mixed families (Asian, African, "white" European, Latinx, etc.) that has given rise to Oakland's exceptional and distinctive culinary, music, visual arts, film, activist, literary, fashion, Maker Faire, DIY, scenes, all of which parallel the Brooklyn-Manhattan cultural axis much closer than Newark's much more circumscribed urban culture.

2. Well, Oakland's skyline has radically changed in just over three years, given that the city is undergoing a radical combined gentrification and revival that has attracted international media attention (what the WSJ calls "hypergentrification") and inspired two Oakland-themed arthouse hits of 2018 (Sorry to Bother You and Blindspotting), a phenomenon that Newark has not yet undergone in anywhere near the intensity or specificity of Oakland. As of this writing, over twenty cranes stand in Downtown Oakland and parts nearby, as well over one billion dollars worth of new high-rise office towers and luxury/market-rate projects are underway. Another nearly two billion dollar shoreline neighborhood is under construction–-BROOKLYN BASIN––which complements the hundreds of millions of dollars in market-rate housing construction and the repurposing of foundries and warehouses into luxury bayside lofts continue apace in Jack London Square.

3. On a personal note: I lived for nearly thirty years in Manhattan and Brooklyn. I now live in San Francisco and work in Oakland. While I came of age in Britain, I was born in SF; my parents, however, met in Oakland. I'm biracial, as my father is a Northern Englishman and my mother is Latinx. My siblings and I, in a very real sense, are children of Oakland, exactly in keeping with that city's cosmopolitan ethos. As a child, I spent a good deal of time in both SF and Oakland.

I know both Newark and Oakland quite well, as I do NYC. Newark and Oakland took in the African-American diaspora in the twentieth century. Deindustrialization and white racist divestment shattered both cities in the mid-twentieth centuries. But Oakland has come roaring back, and this is due in no small part to the striking diversity of the city's population, the city's outsize ambitions and fierce sense of its history and legacies, which quite frankly, are astonishingly different than Newark's, that NYC neighbor's strengths and histories notwithstanding.

There is a reason why the NYTimes coined the meme, "Brooklyn by the Bay." Because when all is said and done, and however reductive or absurd the meme is, the meme holds largely true: Oakland is much closer to Brooklyn in attitudes,history, aspirations,evolution, economies, populations, etc. than it is to Newark.

Last edited by P-Vidal Naquet's Mot; Aug 3, 2019 at 9:59 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos