HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 1:52 PM

Last edited by summersm343; Oct 21, 2014 at 5:23 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 2:24 PM

Everyone of those stock photo models looks suspicious.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
I had to take a second look and you are totally right! Market East will be a dodgy place full of scheming yuppies

I love looking for weird/out of place stock people in renderings.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 5:24 PM

Removed the images because they were extremely large and we were getting some complaints about slow loading. Click on the links to view the images.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
I dunno--I kinda think the real people in the LA photo look even MORE suspicious.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 11:33 PM

Digital signage for the project approved

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...ing-commission

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 1:10 PM

Article on the new Market East side streets from Plan Philly -

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...er-city-street

"The significance of 1100 Market is that it will prove whether the pedestrian-oriented retail street works in the heart of Center City as well as a smaller neighborhood commercial corridor. Many Philadelphians have long memories and invoke the failure of Ed Bacon's Chestnut Street Transitway concept in the 1970's to insist on universal access for cars to all streets....

Cars won't be allowed on Chestnut Walk though, and the success or failure of that street's retail offerings will be closely watched as a proof of concept by livability advocates who have been eyeing other narrow older streets in Center City like Sansom, Drury, Chancellor, and Juniper for restricted car access or full pedestrianization."

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 3:52 PM
BANNED

Any real demo happening on site yet?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Article on the new Market East side streets from Plan Philly -

That link is broken for me. I think this is what yo were going for?

At any rate, the article fails to mention the two key differences between the Chestnut Street pedestiran only zone and this.

1) The Chestnut Street pedestrian only zone was MUCH larger.

2) That was the '70s, this is now. Times have changed dramatically and the culture is much less car centric/commute in from the burbs.

Pedestrian only commercial streets do fine in a wide variety of cities over the world. I see no reason to worry about this one, it will do fine as well.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:56 AM

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 8:33 AM

So QRS has been regulated to the side. Oh man I was hoping it would be more prominent flagship location. I guess I'll keep shopping at their King Of Prussia location then, EMXI's styles aren't really my thing

At least I know Twelve will be a major draw. I've been to their stores in NY-all twelve of them-and it's always a decent crowd.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
So QRS has been regulated to the side. Oh man I was hoping it would be more prominent flagship location. I guess I'll keep shopping at their King Of Prussia location then, EMXI's styles aren't really my thing

At least I know Twelve will be a major draw. I've been to their stores in NY-all twelve of them-and it's always a decent crowd.
I dunno, I'm excited to see what new at Park Right Arrow this season.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 3:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
I dunno, I'm excited to see what new at Park Right Arrow this season.
You guys are crazy. Everyone knows that all the good stuff will be at the multiple Retail Sign stores on the 1100 block of Chestnut:

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Then shouldn't the name of this one be Thirteen?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Then shouldn't the name of this one be Thirteen?
Heheh. I think the people who draw up these renderings would think we're insane.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
Heheh. I think the people who draw up these renderings would think we're insane.
And they'd be right.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 6:43 PM

Jefferson Walk

I've been thinking about some possible implications of the East Market design, and Something I hope a developer takes advantage of is the continuation of the pedestrian alley retail corridors like the forthcoming "Chestnut Walk."

It would be quite easy to design a completmentary corridor through the "disney hole" at 8th & Market, and these could be bookends that set the president for a Gallery remodel in that style. Although its unlikly PREIT would completley open up the entire mall concourse to the sky (requiring several floors being removed in areas), it could redesign the enterances from the sidewalks to be more fluid, and feel more like an indoor/outdoor space. This would be most easily done at 8th/Market where the steps go down to the Gallery, by building a high (glass?) over-hang ceiling with no walls or doors, just modern artistic support pillards, and making the transition from street level to gallery level more gradual, while mostly uncovered. (Ideally I would like to see the whole thing razed and make an extra large sidewalk on Market St as the primary pedestrian corridor, but this is less likely in the near-term)

The other main component I hope Jefferson University/SEPTA/Philly/PREIT build is a public squre with a new Jefferson Station Enterance facing it. Something that is modern and bright to match the Market East design, and with a clear main enterance to the Station. This would mean buying and tearing down Burlington Coat Factory, but that could easily be relocated elsewhere (maybe at 8th/Chestnut in this layout?)

Anyway... have a look, let me know what you think.

Last edited by Mappy; Nov 7, 2014 at 2:39 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 12:22 AM

When is this project most likely to begin?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post
I've been thinking about some possible implications of the East Market design, and Something I hope a developer takes advantage of is the continuation of the pedestrian alley retail corridors like the forthcoming "Chestnut Walk."

It would be quite easy to design a completmentary corridor through the "disney hole" at 8th & Market, and these could be bookends that set the president for a Gallery remodel in that style. Although its unlikly PREIT would completley open up the entire mall concourse to the sky (requiring several floors being removed in areas), it could redesign the enterances from the sidewalks to be more fluid, and feel more like an indoor/outdoor space. This would be most easily done at 8th/Market where the steps go down to the Gallery, by building a high (glass?) over-hang ceiling with no walls or doors, just modern artistic support pillards, and making the transition from street level to gallery level more gradual, while mostly uncovered. (Ideally I would like to see the whole thing razed and make an extra large sidewalk on Market St as the primary pedestrian corridor, but this is less likely in the near-term)

The other main component I hope Jefferson University/SEPTA/Philly/PREIT build is a public squre with a new Jefferson Station Enterance facing it. Something that is modern and bright to match the Market East design, and with a clear main enterance to the Station. This would mean buying and tearing down Burlington Coat Factory, but that could easily be relocated elsewhere (maybe at 8th/Chestnut in this layout?)

Anyway... have a look, let me know what you think.
What app are you using? I'd love to play with it.

I don't necessarily think the Gallery needs to be razed at all, but I like the public square idea, and Market East isn't a bad spot for it, especially if it became a true hub for retail. Pioneer Square in Portland is successful and it's surrounded by retail and feeds into a mall similar to the Gallery, just a mall with more glass. If the Gallery cleaned up its act, the public square could even be on the Disney Hole (if the city could afford to buy it).

You know, what I'd love to see developers also pay attention to is the north side of the Gallery. Filbert Street needs infill, and I think some windows or friendly pedestrianization on behalf of the Gallery would help with that. Chinatown is pretty popular but it's detached from Market East right now. The Gallery could bridge the gap if it's a$$ end was more inviting.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
What app are you using? I'd love to play with it.
I usually just use Google Earth: draw polygons and extrud them vertically. more detailed things like this i uses ArcMap and export it to KMZ which can be shown in GoogleEarth or Maps (through GoogleDrive).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive