HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 3:56 AM
Meh

Note, this is not the same bridge as the one they're planning over the Colorado River.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...forward/nYb9T/
Quote:
Posted: 12:00 a.m. Wednesday, July 3, 2013
RM 620 bridge project moving forward
Ground could be broken in 2015

By Round Rock Leader Staff

After reviewing the project’s environmental impact, state government has given Round Rock permission to move ahead on a bridge – over the railroad tracks at RM 620 – that would substantially alleviate traffic in the area, city Transportation Director Gary Hudder said.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 5:46 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Horrible idea, I hate loops because it is exactly what Kevin said, they promote more sprawl. Austin is different than the other Texas cities, why try to be like them?

Yea there are still many auto-centric people in Austin but part of the reason is that there are no mass transportation options in those areas. Let's continue to push forward on rail infrastructure and promote live near where you work and play rather than buy a huge house out in the hills.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 2:51 AM
Meh

This is why I'm against sprawl. Granted they wouldn't have known about the cave without expanding the highway, but doing so will pave over land that replenishes our area's ground water.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Crews...214811891.html
Quote:
Crews discover large cave underneath RM 620

by SHANNON MURRAY / KVUE News and Photojournalist Dennis Thomas
Bio | Email | Follow: @ShannonM_KVUE

kvue.com
Posted on July 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Updated today at 6:41 PM

ROUND ROCK, Texas -- Construction crews working on the RM 620 expansion project have unearthed a large cave system. Geologists say, although it's an exciting discovery, it's not surprising.

As crews were installing a storm sewer line, they found a cave sprawling 100 feet long, 60 feet wide and at some points reaching as high as 20 feet.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 4:41 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

There's a cave under Bowie High School. They found it during construction, and capped it off. A few years ago, some kids were allowed to explore it a bit. It was in one of the yearbooks. No idea if there was ever a story about it in a publication.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 11:49 PM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...liamson/nYnQg/
Quote:
Posted: 4:55 p.m. Thursday, July 11, 2013
Newland plans 1,455-home community in Williamson

By Shonda Novak
American-Statesman Staff

Newland Communities has purchased 500 acres in Williamson County, with plans to create its a 1,400-plus home master-planned subdivision in Central Texas as demand for housing surges on the region’s job and population growth.

Newland plans the development near Ronald Reagan Boulevard and Texas 29. It have about 1,455 single-family homes, 167 acres for recreational amenities, parks and open space, plus a clubhouse, fitness center, swimming complex and space for an elementary school and daycare center.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 12:38 AM

I almost hate to see a development this size being built during a severe drought. If they build north of 29, its mostly flat arid land which would require tons of water to green up and support. To the south there are a lot of trees that would have to be cleared for something this big to happen. Its proximity to 183 will certainly help with slowing down commuters even more.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 3:33 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

If it's on the SW corner of that intersection, it's Leander ISD. If it's any of the other corners, it's Liberty Hill ISD. Interesting to me because I follow HS football closely.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 4:24 AM

There is alot of development going up that area. It amazes me that the Austin metro area now has grown so far out.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 2:55 PM

For y'all against the loop roads...you really need to SCREAM about 1455 single family homes!!!! Where is the variety and option to live in a different or smaller dwelling? Where is the mix of use or income? I bet this development does not have interconnected blocks on some sort of a street grid, where mass transit (might) be able to serve the area. I bet the development will not connect to existing neighborhoods, nor allow future developments to connect to it. I bet this is the same schlock housing warehouse district that DEMANDS the use of the auto to even visit your friend on the same block...but in another development...because the road connection is on the highway.

I feel that we have sold our community collective soul to the highest corporate bidder; Building the American Dream for profit now...the auto...separated communities of single use districts and little long term concern for the Greater Community. Call me whatever...however the auto is a necessity. New developments are not built with options of travel/connection. Just MHO, I hope I am wrong.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
For y'all against the loop roads...you really need to SCREAM about 1455 single family homes!!!! Where is the variety and option to live in a different or smaller dwelling? Where is the mix of use or income? I bet this development does not have interconnected blocks on some sort of a street grid, where mass transit (might) be able to serve the area. I bet the development will not connect to existing neighborhoods, nor allow future developments to connect to it. I bet this is the same schlock housing warehouse district that DEMANDS the use of the auto to even visit your friend on the same block...but in another development...because the road connection is on the highway.

I feel that we have sold our community collective soul to the highest corporate bidder; Building the American Dream for profit now...the auto...separated communities of single use districts and little long term concern for the Greater Community. Call me whatever...however the auto is a necessity. New developments are not built with options of travel/connection. Just MHO, I hope I am wrong.
To validate what you just said, google map, satellite view directly due west of this proposed project, just west of 183 and behold what I consider housing wasteland. Why move out to the country to buy into a community where your neighbors are just a few feet from you on either side, where the developers try to build as many houses as they can per acre. Here it looks like 6 or more per. The houses are truely out in the country but so close together that surely you could smell your neighbor's fart on a windless day.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
...Why move out to the country to buy into a community where your neighbors are just a few feet from you on either side, where the developers try to build as many houses as they can per acre. Here it looks like 6 or more per. ...
So you're saying there's density!

/sarcasm

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 8:45 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I'm with the Genral. If I move to the country, I want 10-20 acres minimum. Why live elbow to elbow and not have the bonus of living in town close to everything?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I almost hate to see a development this size being built during a severe drought. If they build north of 29, its mostly flat arid land which would require tons of water to green up and support. To the south there are a lot of trees that would have to be cleared for something this big to happen. Its proximity to 183 will certainly help with slowing down commuters even more.
Austinites have been saying pretty much the same thing since the urban sprawl started with Hyde Park in the 1890s, and Travis Heights soon after.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 1:38 PM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...n-stage/nX6ZN/
Quote:
Posted: 7:48 p.m. Wednesday, May 29, 2013
BEE CAVE
Bee Cave hotel plans move to final design stage
Galleria anticipated to generate hotel business

By Rachel Rice
Austin Community Newspapers Staff

The design for the Sonesta Hotel to be built in a prime spot in the Hill Country Galleria is more or less finalized, said Hill Country Galleria president Adrian Overstreet.

Overstreet and his architects presented the concept designs for the hotel at the Bee Cave City Council meeting May 14, debuting a building with five floors, a pool, 8,000 square feet of event space and a rooftop bar.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Hotel ZaZa should take notes!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 4:50 AM

Since I look at the pictures before reading the captions, I honestly thought this was a rendering for a hospital.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 4:53 AM

For the third time, a waterpark is being announced for the Austin area. Hawaiian Falls has announced it WILL build a $21.5 million water and adventure park on 25 acres near the corner of FM 685 and 130 in Pflugerville as reported by the Pfugerville Pflag and printed in the 8/7/13 AAS. It will be the 25th Hfalls in the US, the 6th and largest in Texas. The Pflugerville Community Development Corp...PCDC...is going to purchase the 25 acres and lease it to Hawaiian Parks - Pflugerville for 30 years with two ten year renewal options. They are expecting to be open for business May 2014. Tickets will be available on their webpage, hfalls.com. It is expected to have a $30 million economical impact, $6 million in annual sales, and attract 300,000 visitors each year per studies conducted by the PCDC. Apparently they have been planning this quietly for a while getting all their ducks in a row before prematurely announcing this like the no go Blu Bambu announced a year or so ago which bowed out due to lack of financing. The entertainment complex would be open year round except for the waterpark which is expected to be open about 100 days per year which means this will be more than just a water park. The Adventure park will feature zip lines, trails and rope courses.
The closest Hfalls is up in Waco and is about half the size of Hfalls - Plugerville. It will also be within 5 minutes from my house and directly across from the Stone Hill shopping center. Not sure how they are going to build this in less than a year, but I drive by that plot at least once per week so I'll be watching for any activity. No Blu Bambu or Schlitterbaun, well, 3rd time's the charm. Check out the web pages if you get a chance and someone with the knowhow can post the renderings. This looks to be a decent sized park and a big catch for the Austin area, something that's been sorely missing..
Just watched a youtube ynn story on this, wish I knew how to give link here, google - hawaiian falls pflugerville...its a must watch...guys, this IS happening!! The financing is in place. The deal is done!

Last edited by the Genral; Aug 8, 2013 at 6:58 AM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 6:17 AM

Ground breaking for new water park within 30 days!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 12:33 PM

Waterpark? Meh... not a big fan of them.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Waterpark? Meh... not a big fan of them.
Yeah, I don't look good in a swim suit either

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin