HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Did Shwarma Khan this week, not a lot of for what you pay, overpriced, food okay, no better than any other donair place.
Yeah, the food is good but IMO it's way overpriced for what it is. At those prices I'd expect to walk away stuffed but you really don't at Shawarma Khan.

It doesn't even come close to the kingpin of shawarma in this town, Baraka Pita.

Speaking of restaurants, I sold my Jets tickets for last night's game and finally went to Passero at The Forks instead. It's been years since I went to a Scott Bagshaw restaurant because I couldn't square the idea of fine dining with a strip mall next to Mac's, but now that he's in a proper location (with beautiful design) I was curious to try it out. It was a great meal, great service. I'll be back.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Should be okay, Lakeview Square has a lot of people in it...the convention centre is right across the street, and the Delta is right around the corner.
Yeah I guess but those downtown streets without sidewalk lighting are pretty brutal and unattractive. Going for a 7 am bagel in the winter when it's dark there.. I dunno.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Did Shwarma Khan this week, not a lot of for what you pay, overpriced, food okay, no better than any other donair place.
The shawarma joint in portage place is excellent. Their platters are about $10 and you get a lot of food for the price.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by factis View Post
The shawarma joint in portage place is excellent. Their platters are about $10 and you get a lot of food for the price.
I would agree with that, but Shawarma Time is probably the best in or near downtown.

I'm looking forward to the new place opening up near Portage and Garry.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah I guess but those downtown streets without sidewalk lighting are pretty brutal and unattractive. Going for a 7 am bagel in the winter when it's dark there.. I dunno.
Here's my hot take. Montreal bagels are brutal and unattractive. NY bagels FTW. I'm in Montreal fairly often and have the real deal. Get out of here with that skinny dry nonsense.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Anyone know what is happening with the Pony Corral downtown? Are they closing or moving as the space is for lease available as of July 1 2020 or sooner.
This answers my year and a half old question. I wonder what the owners have landed a new lease as they were advertising this space in 2019.

Quote:
The last roundup at the downtown Pony Corral

The Pony Corral has closed up its downtown stable.

A little over 20 years after it opened, the local restaurant chain's St. Mary's Avenue location has served its last Pony burger. Its lease expired, and the owner chose to not renew.

"It was a tough decision," said Peter Ginakes, the owner of the restaurants started by his dad, Jimmy, with just about the whole family pitching in.

The St. Mary's location opened in the former Grapes restaurant space in 1999, a dozen years after the Ginakes family opened the first Pony Corral on Pembina Highway. Soon after, a Pony opened on Nairn Avenue, and later, a Grant Park location.

But for many years, Ginakes said the downtown location held a special place in the company; he started it with his dad, and it had been the home to the restaurant's corporate office.

Before the Grant Park location began hosting Sunday cruise nights, Ginakes said they were based downtown. The restaurant also hosted celebrities such as Burton Cummings and Arnold Schwarzenegger, along with politicians such as prime ministers Justin Trudeau and Jean Chretien.

When Chretien visited Winnipeg, Ginakes said he had a lunch scheduled at the Fairmont. Then-premier Gary Doer whisked Chretien to the downtown Pony Corral instead, and they had burgers and Fort Garry beer.

The St. Mary's employees were given advance notice of the closure, and many of them will be moving to work at the other locations around the city, Ginakes said.

For now, Ginakes said he will be focusing on the three restaurants and his other real estate holdings, including the old Mother Tucker's building just south of Ellice Avenue; that building could house everything from a theatre to a brewpub to a distillery, he said.

As for future plans for Pony expansion, Ginakes didn't rule it out. Maybe a spot in the suburbs, or even a return downtown, although nothing is planned right now, he said.

"It's been a great 20 years," he said. "The area around here is excellent, and we're grateful for all the support."

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 5:13 PM

It’s impressive that a newspaper that’s constantly begging for government support can get a street name wrong so many times in one article.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 7:40 PM

Quote:
It’s impressive that a newspaper that’s constantly begging for government support can get a street name wrong so many times in one article.
Normally I chalk that up to reporters from out of town who may not be familiar with local place names (these are the reporters who tend to label any kind of crime that happened north of the Assiniboine as being in "the North End"), but in this case it was written by Ben Waldman who is from Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Normally I chalk that up to reporters from out of town who may not be familiar with local place names (these are the reporters who tend to label any kind of crime that happened north of the Assiniboine as being in "the North End"), but in this case it was written by Ben Waldman who is from Winnipeg.
I suspect that the FP uses some sort of spell check and that is what added the "'s" to St. Mary.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 10:34 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

I'd like to see a Pony Corral in the Exchange District somewhere close to McDermot or Bannatine Ave.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I'd like to see a Pony Corral in the Exchange District somewhere close to McDermot or Bannatine Ave.
Ew that’s about the worst take I’ve ever heard. I’d like to see more Pony Corrals close, and get some actual edible food in the Pembina location. Such a shame we have a boat dock there serviced by a restaurant my dog wouldn’t even want to eat at.

Johnny G’s already does a fine job serving up Sysco Specials to the exchange.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Ew that’s about the worst take I’ve ever heard. I’d like to see more Pony Corrals close, and get some actual edible food in the Pembina location. Such a shame we have a boat dock there serviced by a restaurant my dog wouldn’t even want to eat at.

Johnny G’s already does a fine job serving up Sysco Specials to the exchange.
Full and complete agreement there

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 2:59 AM
Winnipeg

I'd like to know what will happen to the Masonic Temple. Auch a nice building!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 8:49 PM

Has anyone heard anything further about the old Robin's Donuts on St. Mary's Road? The For Lease sign is no longer up, but it still doesn't look like anything is happening with the new building.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I suspect that the FP uses some sort of spell check and that is what added the "'s" to St. Mary.
It could be the possessive form, which for a street is rarely used. I hear St. Mary Ave. called St. Mary's quite a lot though, and originally that's what it was named, after of course St. Mary's Cathedral. Was re-named in the interwar years to avoid confusion with St. Mary's Road. One of those unique things about Winnipeg street names.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 6:16 PM

I'm very particular about that kind of stuff. St. Mary Ave in particular. Because we've had people go to St. Mary's Road. So I always explain St. Mary Ave downtown.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 6:58 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm very particular about that kind of stuff. St. Mary Ave in particular. Because we've had people go to St. Mary's Road. So I always explain St. Mary Ave downtown.
Think about all the poor people going to St. John but end up in Newfoundland.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 7:09 PM

Always spelled in full. Saint John, N.B.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 10:15 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Here's my hot take. Montreal bagels are brutal and unattractive. NY bagels FTW. I'm in Montreal fairly often and have the real deal. Get out of here with that skinny dry nonsense.
You are not alone.

Montreal bagels are hard and skinny.

NY style are soft, dense and chewy.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac1977 View Post
Has anyone heard anything further about the old Robin's Donuts on St. Mary's Road? The For Lease sign is no longer up, but it still doesn't look like anything is happening with the new building.
There are 3 listed in Yellow pages for that street....207 St Mary's Rd, Winnipeg, 1086 St Mary's Rd & 1639 St Mary's Rd Which one has closed?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan