HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 7:22 PM

Some updated renderings of The Grid at The West Quarter posted on the Richie Group's website. Some changes to the windows and materials since the renderings Atlas posted in November.

New Renderings:

Old Renderings (from November (posted by Atlas)):

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Mar 16, 2023 at 9:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 1:25 PM

Thanks for the updated renderings of The Grid, Blah_Amazing.

I was worried about this project when I saw cars parked in the Royal Wood Plaza parking lot the other day. I thought they had fenced the property a few months back in preparation for demolition, but the fence was gone the other day.

Maybe the fence was a false memory?

Last edited by freeshavocado; Mar 17, 2023 at 2:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Presto View Post

Hey! I got it up! Thanks for your help Paniolo Man, your photos were very helpful.
For Convexity, the construction could also speed up a little somewhat soon. By my count, construction work is on the 11th floor (as of last week) and the tower narrows quite dramatically on the 12th floor.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 7:47 PM

Astra Tower

I was walking by Astra Tower this afternoon and I noticed what appears to be balconies going up the West side of the tower. I dont remember seeing balconies on the renderings of the tower. Can anyone on this thread confirm that these really are balconies?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 5:45 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
I was walking by Astra Tower this afternoon and I noticed what appears to be balconies going up the West side of the tower. I dont remember seeing balconies on the renderings of the tower. Can anyone on this thread confirm that these really are balconies?
There will be no balconies on this part of the building. I believe what you're seeing is the shear wall for the stairwell that is set in a bit from the exterior of the building.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 8:34 PM

Astra Tower

Thanks for the info, Schmoe!!!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Some updated renderings of The Grid at The West Quarter posted on the Richie Group's website. Some changes to the windows and materials since the renderings Atlas posted in November.
Is there a timeline for the other half of west quarter phase 2? I hope the towers will follow shortly after this project "the grid"

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 5:46 PM

Have we ever gone 3 days without a post before?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 6:05 PM

Some sad news. A cyclist died today after getting hit by the front runner trying to cross at 400s. The Rio Grande Plan cannot come soon enough.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 11:09 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Have we ever gone 3 days without a post before?
June 5-9, 2021.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
June 5-9, 2021.
Comrade - you are always right on top of everything!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 4:51 AM

Wow thought I was bugged out on my end cuz I kept coming back and seeing nothing new haha

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
Some sad news. A cyclist died today after getting hit by the front runner trying to cross at 400s. The Rio Grande Plan cannot come soon enough.
UTA: I see no problem here.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 6:13 AM

Seriously, how many more accidents need to happen before UTA realizes they’re making a mistake trying to ignore the Rio Grande Plan?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 2:02 PM
Space Magi

News has been slow lately. Here's some: the Sears Block rezone to D1 for IHC will be moving to the city council for approval and the slightly-controversial project on 800S next to Fisher Brewing and Kilby Court is likely dead because the land is for sale. The market is currently killing a lot of development projects.

On the bright side, here are some new renders of the future phases of the West Quarter that I found on crexi:

To me, the Block D towers still read as placeholders in these images. My guess is that those designs will be refined before they're officially proposed.

Edit: Also, we officially have a new state flag!

Last edited by Atlas; Mar 22, 2023 at 2:20 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 10:03 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
The market is currently killing a lot of development projects.
As a commercial finance guy, I can assure you that we are seeing a major shift in the credit markets. Loose monetary policy is over. Our financial system once again is on pins and needles. Development in the city will be slamming on the breaks with few acceptations. The city still has some momentum and econ 101 suggests that demand is still relatively high. Private capital will be in demand to get projects done. Problem is, it is far more expensive, and makes it harder for projects to pencil out.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 2:01 PM

Dakben, any chance we can get another screen capture from the kutv camera? I'm wondering if Astra is getting close to the 23rd floor where it narrows for the remaining floors.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 3:27 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Salt Lake Temple’s estimated completion date amended to 2026

Unexpected challenges, setbacks move anticipated completion from previously announced 2025 date.

March 2023 updates to the Salt Lake Temple’s multi-year seismic renovation efforts and the overall Temple Square renovation project include an amended completion date of 2026 for the temple.

“Construction on the renovation and seismic retrofit of the iconic Salt Lake Temple continues at a deliberate and measured pace,” said a news release posted Thursday, March 23, on ChurchofJesusChrist.org. “However, when working with historic structures such as this pioneer-era temple, unexpected challenges and setbacks are inevitable.”

A 2025 completion date had been previously announced for the iconic Salt Lake Temple. In consulting with the project’s numerous architects, engineers and contractors, Church leaders believe more time is needed on the upgrade and renovations to the temple.

A final and formal completion date and temple open house schedule will be determined and shared when feasible. The construction milestones for the temple and the Temple Square project will be shared periodically.

One such recent milestone came March 7 with the temple’s seismic upgrade, as crews poured concrete for the footing of the first base isolator underneath the temple. The step is preparatory for the base isolation system, with the installation of the first base isolator anticipated in April.

A working concrete slab has been laid around the entire perimeter of the temple, which creates a clean, level surface for crews. Iron workers will use the surface to assemble reinforced steel cages, to eventually be encased in concrete and become new footings under the temple. When completed, base isolators will rest on the new foundation.

The excavation depth has reached 35 feet (10.6 meters) from the former sidewalk around the Salt Lake Temple to the new working slab.

Work continues on Temple Square’s northwest corner, where the North Visitors’ Center previously stood. The area — planned to become gardens and contemplated spaces and to include a new restroom facility and concrete planters — is expected to be completed in early fall 2023.

Once the northwest corner project is completed, work will move to Temple Square’s southwest corner, with the Assembly Hall and surrounding gardens and facilities to be closed as crews remove restroom buildings and portions of the wall. Crews will also update landscaping, with the southwest area expected to be closed for about a year.

Also, as announced last November 2022, the Lion House is closed for renovation, with the Beehive House scheduled to close on April 8.

The published release included a map showing access paths and building closures during the Temple Square renovation project.

Bonus pics:

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 5:21 PM

Astra today:

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 11:18 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
As a commercial finance guy, I can assure you that we are seeing a major shift in the credit markets. Loose monetary policy is over. Our financial system once again is on pins and needles. Development in the city will be slamming on the breaks with few acceptations. The city still has some momentum and econ 101 suggests that demand is still relatively high. Private capital will be in demand to get projects done. Problem is, it is far more expensive, and makes it harder for projects to pencil out.
This is what we're seeing too. Some ownership groups will just pause projects if they still pencil at new projected financing costs. SOFR is expected to peak with the next rate increase, but it will never return to the prior lows. So projects will need to pencil out at 40-60% increase in financing costs long term. Many won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeshavocado View Post
Dakben, any chance we can get another screen capture from the kutv camera? I'm wondering if Astra is getting close to the 23rd floor where it narrows for the remaining floors.
Per the schedule, Level 22 east concrete should pour on Monday or Tuesday. Decking of Level 23 will begin immediately after that, with concrete poured around 4/4. The far more intricate West side of Level 22 where the rooftop pool deck is, should pour around 4/1, but I'm less confident of this date.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West