HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Free-fare experiment increased UTA ridership by 20,000, agency says

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...re-experiment/
I rode on the Thursday. I had planned to ride both days, but wasn't able to on Friday.

I never saw anyone counting. I didn't even see the guy that usually walks up and down the train.

I was thinking about free fares. Because having free fares all the time would really require double-tracking to satisfy the increased ridership, that they should start by offering free rides one day a week. Maybe on Fridays. To get people to really start using it regularly and not just be a novelty, it has to be a regular occurrence, something they can count on. This would also have a bigger impact on our air quality than a few days here and there scattered around.
I suspect that most of the increased ridership on free fare days aren't always a lot of people going to work, but people who otherwise wouldn't be driving taking a free ride, which doesn't really remove cars from the road. But if it's a regular day that workers can count on, they'll skip driving one day a week.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I rode on the Thursday. I had planned to ride both days, but wasn't able to on Friday.

I never saw anyone counting. I didn't even see the guy that usually walks up and down the train.

I was thinking about free fares. Because having free fares all the time would really require double-tracking to satisfy the increased ridership, that they should start by offering free rides one day a week. Maybe on Fridays. To get people to really start using it regularly and not just be a novelty, it has to be a regular occurrence, something they can count on. This would also have a bigger impact on our air quality than a few days here and there scattered around.
I suspect that most of the increased ridership on free fare days aren't always a lot of people going to work, but people who otherwise wouldn't be driving taking a free ride, which doesn't really remove cars from the road. But if it's a regular day that workers can count on, they'll skip driving one day a week.
They count electronically most of the time

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
They count electronically most of the time
How do they do that? Last time I rode on a free fare day a few years ago, they literally had people counting, which is what I expected to see again.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 12:39 PM

Work is already started on the updates for UTA's August Change Day:

http://www.rideuta.com/Rider-Info/Au...nMRfTuv69DSoYc

Quote:
UTA is proposing changes to multiple bus routes in Weber, Davis, Salt Lake, Tooele and Utah Counties for the August 2019 change day and we want to ensure our riders have the opportunity to give us their feedback...As UTA has increased its focus on the bus system and improving service wherever possible, we want to emphasize that most of the proposed changes will expand and increase service, including:

More routes
Increased frequency
Expanded/all-day service
Less transfers

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 4:37 PM

I wonder if we will get a Centurion Lounge or some Priority Pass lounges. I am sure the Delta Sky Club will be bigger and better than the current lounge, but it would be nice to get some other lounge options.

Sorry this was meant for the airport thread--moved it over there.

Last edited by stayinginformed; Mar 21, 2019 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 5:24 PM

Jubguy and Stenar are both right - UTA has electric counters at the entrances/exits of all their transit vehicles. These use infrared to count individual people and are usually pretty accurate. However, for days when UTA expects numbers to be significantly different than usual, they usually have human counters go out and verify that the electronic ones are working correctly.
I had almost the exact experience as Stenar. I rode in December and saw people counting, but when I rode on Thursday I didn't. And then I couldn't ride Friday at all.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how high the numbers were. I was pretty worried that February's experiment would fall far short of last December's due to lack of advertising and lack of Christmas decorations. But people came anyway! It is more than a little telling that people ride the rail services more, since they are more user-friendly (established stations and schedules). It's almost too bad that UVX is always free, because I would like to see how big its increase would have been. I wonder if the 35Max route got a larger increase than the other bus routes?

Also, do the 7 free fare days a year start this year or next? And I totally agree with Stenar, these need to be a regular thing. Add 5 more free-fare days and we could say that the first Monday (or Friday or whatever) of every month is free. That would be a start.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post

I like the idea of once a week free and then having trains after 6 free. This would incentivize people coming from the suburbs for food or events downtown to use the train. The problem right now is if a group of say 4 people get together to go the dinner, musical, Jazz game, etc. they have the choice of paying for 4 fares or all piling in a car and heading down. 4 fares would be $20, so unless parking costs more than that the incentive is not there to switch to train. Making it free would flip that, but parking lot companies, Gateway and CCC would probably pitch a fit.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Work is already started on the updates for UTA's August Change Day:

http://www.rideuta.com/Rider-Info/Au...nMRfTuv69DSoYc
I'm pretty underwhelmed by most of these proposals. It does expand service on several routes, which is good, and does make some reasonable adjustments to some of the routes and the beginning and end points, but it only creates 1 new non-flex route (from what I can tell) and eliminates a few. Also, there's still no bus service on 1300 South.

Why can't UTA have less-than-15 minute service on any routes? Also based on these changes, UTA seems to have given up on making Central Station an actual transit hub lol.

EDIT: I'm probably being too harsh. A lot of routes are getting improved service and some of these route changes look really good. I especially like the change to route 9.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
I like the idea of once a week free and then having trains after 6 free. This would incentivize people coming from the suburbs for food or events downtown to use the train. The problem right now is if a group of say 4 people get together to go the dinner, musical, Jazz game, etc. they have the choice of paying for 4 fares or all piling in a car and heading down. 4 fares would be $20, so unless parking costs more than that the incentive is not there to switch to train. Making it free would flip that, but parking lot companies, Gateway and CCC would probably pitch a fit.
I definitely like your idea of free after 6p. They do have group passes now for 4 people to ride the train for $15 for all day travel (8:30a–midnight).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
This is what I've dealt with. We live in Layton, close to the station. There's been quite a few times on a weekend where we'll come downtown as a family to the Children's Museum or somewhere else at the Gateway, and I always think "let's just take the train, it's fun for the kids". But then I realize for the 5 of us it'll cost $20, and take a little longer, it doesn't make sense to do it vs the 30 minute drive and probably $4 parking charge.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 7:17 PM

GUYS ITS FINALLY HERE. Full 389 page future of Frontrunner report.

https://www.rideuta.com/-/media/File...320.ashx?la=en

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
GUYS ITS FINALLY HERE. Full 389 page future of Frontrunner report.

https://www.rideuta.com/-/media/File...320.ashx?la=en
Thanks for posting the link. I will be reading it over the weekend.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 12:44 PM

Utah transportation leaders gets an unexpected gift: an extra $371 million to spend on some big projects

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...ransportation/

It’s better than pennies from heaven: Good fortune produced an unexpected $371 million that the Utah Department of Transportation wants to use to upgrade some long-planned big projects.

That includes adding $200 million to improve a project to convert U.S. 89 in Davis County into a full freeway; $140 million to add lanes to the new West Davis Corridor highway project; $17 million for a Jordan River bridge on Porter Rockwell Boulevard in Riverton; $10 million to improve State Road 30 in Cache County; and $3.35 million to build a long-desired bridge over railroad tracks on 5600 West in Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 5:10 AM

Some of you might remember things were looking good this time last year in terms of the addition of a FrontRunner station in Vineyard. The Legislature had appropriated money for the station and the city council got the ball rolling on a design.

Unfortunately, UTA has hit some major snags!!

Because of the addition of Positive Train Control, the original design of the track in this area will no longer allow for a station without double tracking the two miles that are north of it's future location (https://le.utah.gov/interim/2019/pdf/00001497.pdf). UTA needs $6 million from the state for the double tracking, and back in February the city council was reporting the legislature wasn't going to give UTA the money.

The city council also noted something about a protected flower in the area that could delay the double tracking for years while it is studied and possibly prevent double tracking from ever happening in Vineyard. That's particularly concerning since TRAX will have to share the rail corridor with FrontRunner in this area (as Union Pacific has agreed to sell the track along Geneva Road to Vineyard City).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 7:14 AM

What is with all these half-hearted wimpy attempts at double-tracking? First the Future of FrontRunner study that still proposes only 'strategic' double-track and still does it all wrong, and now this proposal to double-track only 2 miles of the 5-mile gap between Vineyard and American Fork?

I feel a rant coming on. Nobody take this personally, but I'm just frustrated that politics and mediocrity seem to be dictating the future of FrontRunner more than any actual plan or facts.

First this vineyard station. The gap between American Fork and Vineyard is one of the easiest gaps UTA has to fill. It is mostly flat and straight, there are no neighbors nearby to be affected by construction, the foundations for the bridge over the American Fork (river - creek?) are already built, and for the most part UTA has all the ROW it needs. In places where it doesn't have ROW, it will be easy to shift the Union Pacific track over far enough for a second track, since there is only one UP track at that location as compared to 2-3 at other locations.

Why not double-track the whole distance?

They will say it is to save money - that the extra 3 miles it takes to completely fill the gap is not needed. This is compartmental and small-minded thinking. Yes, in order to get the trains to pass each other according to the current schedule at Vineyard, the second track doesn't need to go to American Fork. But that completely ignores UTA's policy of future-proofing their investments!

In a few more years when UTA actually gets directed to double-track their whole system, that fancy new (and expensive) switch 2 miles north of Vineyard is going to need to be ripped out in order to make way for double-tracking. Will that be saving taxpayers money? No, it won't.

Furthermore, until that second track gets added in, travel times between American Fork and Vineyard are going to get stretched out. Unless UTA is planning to go with a REALLY expensive switch that can handle 80 mph trains - and why would they since they know it will get ripped out in a few years - all trains will have to slow down to 40 mph in a zone that used to be 80 mph. Trains will have less time to cruise at their top speed and will have to spend more of their time limping along at 40 mph on perfectly straight smooth double-track because of a poorly-placed switch.

And it isn't just at vineyard either. If you look at the track diagrams in the Future of FrontRunner study, they propose not double-tracking the system, but instead lengthening the sidings so that trains have a longer window to pass each other. This absolutely infuriates me more than I can articulate, because it shows that the people in charge of the study have no real vision of what FrontRunner can truly become.

By lengthening the sidings it does give trains the longer 'window' to pass each other, but once again, because the 40 mph switches are placed farther away from stations (at great expense and definitely causing system-wide shutdowns in order to construct) trains must spend less of their travel time at their top speed and more of it plodding along at 'switching speed.' It makes a big deal going from 80 mph down to 40 mph.

Have a look at the expected travel times in the report. Every single one of the projected travel times goes UP except for one, which is a full-double track with infill stations. (And boy, would I like to see their travel-time estimate for a double-track electrified system without in-fill stations!) After $3 BILLION spent to 'improve' FrontRunner, it will still take LONGER to travel by FrontRunner than it does now? How can that possible be considered an improvement?

They consider it an improvement because they don't care about travel time, they care about reliability, hence the siding lengthening. It isn't bad to want to increase reliability, but it is very bad to increase reliability at the expense of desirability. No one is going to want slower service! With autonomous vehicles on the horizon travel times by road will likely decrease as traffic congestion is unclogged, but FrontRunner will still be going slower and slower because instead of double-tracking the line, we chose to lengthen the passing sidings and make our trains go slower.

This is the sort of thing that makes people hate government projects, because the incentives are completely wrong. In their desire to assist trains that are off-schedule to pass each other more easily, they are punishing the system as a whole by making it go slower. They are dumbing the system down at the expense of it's potential. This reeks of politics - no city along the line would likely agree to have other station pairs get full double-track, so therefore everyone is going to get an equal amount of siding-lengthening so that they all feel special, even though in reality everyone has been harmed.

And what is worse is if we shifted our focus to be on double-tracking between station pairs, reliability would be positively effected as a byproduct! When two trains are free to travel to their next station without needing to stop in the middle of nowhere, both reliability and safety are increased! Have the trains wait for other passing trains at station platforms, where passengers can get on and off, and emergency personnel can get on in case of an emergency! If trains are stopped at switches between station pairs, there is no where for passengers to get out unless of a very severe emergency. Maintenance personnel will still need to access the switches, so put them close to the stations for easy access!

ARGH! I could go on and on.

Would you think it is a good idea if your friend told you "I don't have enough money to buy a new car right now, so I'm just going to buy some car pieces from the dealership and when I have the rest of the money, he'll sell me the rest of the pieces and build it for me." NO! That is stupid, and we all know it. So why do people think "we don't have enough money to double-track the full distance right now, so we'll just buy a piece of it, then when we have the money, we'll rip that out and then buy some more!" ?!?!?

And in the meanwhile, our roads just got an unexpected $371 MILLION, but yet we don't have enough money to even build 3 more miles of double-track? 3 miles of double track costs a single-digit number of millions of dollars. Compared to this road budget windfall it would hardly be noticed!

I just don't get it. UTA used to be so forward-looking. Instead of having FrontRunner share tracks with freight trains and only run a few times a day - a model that every other western city in the USA has implemented - UTA built their own track, 89 miles of it, and runs more trains per day than than any other commuter line outside of the Northeast and Chicago. It was an amazingly bold move, and it is paying huge dividends. FrontRunner is so successful its cars are bursting with people at rush hour. The thing is capacity-constrained. But in the face of all this overwhelming evidence that the increased capacity of a full double-tracking is not only justified, but it is also popular and wanted - despite this, the best this study thinks we can do is to run a few more trains more slowly down line that is still single-track?

What happened? Where did the old UTA zeal go? Where did the vision of a fully double-tracked, electrified, and high-speed train system go? Why are we now only talking about strategic siding lengthening and adding more infill stations that would make the trains go even slower? Why, why why?

Last edited by Hatman; Mar 24, 2019 at 7:23 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 9:40 PM

Utah’s FrontRunner commuter rail could use a serious upgrade but the cost is a deal breaker

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...s-frontrunner/

Quote:
In a perfect world, the Utah Transit Authority would love to double-track and electrify its FrontRunner commuter rail system to allow trains to run every 15 minutes and operate more efficiently.

But in a meeting with regional planners on Wednesday, the UTA Board heard that projected taxes, fares and grants won't allow that until far in the future, if ever.

“We don’t have enough money to build everything we need,” said Sean Seager, director of planning for the Mountainland Association of Governments, a regional planning agency in Utah County.

Seager and Ted Knowlton, deputy director of the Wasatch Front Regional Council in northern Utah, said their agencies have been carefully studying financial resources and needs for highways and mass transit through 2050.

And money for many of the hoped-for major FrontRunner improvements just isn’t there anytime soon.

But if planners tell legislators and other policymakers “what the need is, they may find a way to rise to the occasion and build that,” Seager said.

Currently, most of FrontRunner runs on single tracks. It is double tracked in a few spots to allow trains to pass each other. However, if a train in one direction is delayed, it may back up all traffic. Also the few spots with double tracks limit the frequency of peak service to about every 30 minutes, and officials would like to offer every-15-minute service to serve growing population and needs.

UTA hopes eventually to electrify FrontRunner instead of using the current diesel-powered engines. Such a change would provide environmental benefits and create lighter trains that could accelerate and stop more quickly to allow faster trips.

Seager said he does see money for some smaller FrontRunner improvement in the near-term — within the next decade — including a $14 million project to add a FrontRunner station in Vineyard and a $216 million extension of FrontRunner from Provo to Payson.

UTA Interim Executive Director Steve Meyer suggested that UTA take some steps that could help the agency better afford double tracking over the long term and be better prepared to qualify for federal grants if opportunities for them arise.

For example, he said it may be wise to do more design work to see what property the agency would need to obtain for double tracking. Also, he said UTA may be able to use state corridor preservation money — previously used mostly for highways — to obtain land when it is cheap to save money in the long term.
I think that UTA needs to step back a bit on expanding FrontRunner. Why is there money to extend to Payson but not any additional double tracking? UTA should tell Utah County that it won't extend FrontRunner without any additional double tracking work done in the County.

Utah County needs UTA, UTA doesn't need Utah County. So any threats of pulling funding from UTA, UTA can laugh as the existing bonds are already guaranteed by the County.

The same should happen in the north. No extensions until double tracking has been increased.

In SL County, the problem is that FrontRunner already exists at its maximum and finding funds for double tracking come at the cost of bus service without any additional revenue.

Without additional revenue, some money may become available in late 2020's and by the mid 2030's as the Trax bonds are retired.

I wonder if UTA or the State would be able to bond against future expected revenues. Similar to the work done in L.A. to expand their transit system, some bonds were issued on revenue that won't be realized for 30+ years in an effort to take advantage of the cost savings of doing the work today rather than in 30 years.

This could allow for not just double tracking and electrifying FrontRunner but it could also allow for Trax extensions, BRT lines, and streetcars to be built faster. The State could possibly even allow the bonds to be backed on the County levels with the property tax increases from the additional development around the enhanced lines/routes.

It is sad to look at the planned transit projects to see the costs laid out with the costs today and the planned date costs. In nearly all situations, the future costs are nearly double the costs of today with some even higher.

Work should be done to find a way to speed up the projects rather than just state it isn't worth it yet since it is planned for 2040, 2050, or later. The sooner projects are completed, the faster ridership grows and development follow. This in turn speeds up any possible improvements for air quality and the shift from driving to limit the money spent on new roads and road repairs.

Something needs to be done in the near term to get projects sped up. If it takes the State being a backer for bonds based on future revenue from the retirement of existing bonds, so be it. This would be cheaper to do today than the projected costs in the future.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 7:25 AM

Meanwhile...

Leaders sing praises of S-Line and its new double track
https://www.ksl.com/article/46525776...w-double-track

Quote:
"The S-Line unofficially stands for success and starting Sunday will also stand for speed [...]" said Carlton Christensen, UTA Board of Trustees chairman.

The S-Line is many things, but it is not speedy. Even with the new 'double track' (really just a lengthened siding for rolling meets, not a real double-track) I don't think the S-Line is faster than the bus on 21st South.

It is, though, a very cool bike trail and it has undeniably encouraged a lot of dense developments:

Quote:
"I would encourage them to walk the line and see what's happening and with a small taxpayer investment you've seen billions of dollars of private investment that's creating housing that we so desperately need and helping to clean our air," he [McAdams] said. "It's absolutely been an economy boost."
Quote:
"It really is a celebration when you see beautiful new housing, the frequency that we're going to enjoy with people being able to jump on and off every 15 minutes, that's going to really change I think the footprint of this area and give people even greater access to wherever it is they're headed," said Salt Lake County Mayor Jenny Wilson.

The county also pledged $500,000 for additional operating costs in the first three years of double track service. The investment is estimated to attract approximately 1,000 additional daily passengers by 2030, according to a UTA news release.
It is sort of infuriating that the worst of UTA's five rail lines is the best at attracting new developments. If only FrontRunner could spur similar developments then imagine how much easier it would be to double-track the whole thing! But, alas, the blocks around Salt Lake Central Station, Clearfield, and American Fork (just to name a few) remain completely abandoned and untouched 11 years after service began.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 10:15 AM

Am I right Hatman in assuming that the labor shortage is so acute that the builders just haven't gotten around to developing those areas of Central Station, American Fork Station, etc? Particularly with residential, it would seem like there is more demand build than there is supply of labor to build it. I see where the State is now making a concerted effort in reaching out to the High Schools, and pushing to educate up and coming interest in developing construction labor. I mean, the vacancy rate for apartment housing is still pushing historic lows, and construction just can't seem to catch up. I would imagine that the developers are cherry picking the easiest low hanging projects right now. It's not as if they have to dig deep or get creative in order to uncover development opportunities. There's just too much demand and not enough labor to go around.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 7, 2019 at 10:37 AM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
It is sort of infuriating that the worst of UTA's five rail lines is the best at attracting new developments. If only FrontRunner could spur similar developments then imagine how much easier it would be to double-track the whole thing! But, alas, the blocks around Salt Lake Central Station, Clearfield, and American Fork (just to name a few) remain completely abandoned and untouched 11 years after service began.
There are changes coming the UTA board recently approved 3 TOD project areas that will be opening for RFP shortly. I know that the SL Central Station and I think the Clearfield station was included in them.

The SL Central Station RFP area includes the current bus storage site and some of the land around the Central Station. This area is about to start a large scale makeover. The biggest impacts will happen hopefully early this summer when the Road Home is closed and the State begins their demolition.

The State will be building a new historic archive building on the site of the Road Home. There are plans for it to include a museum and additional office space for employees. The State is also looking into selling some unused land to help provide additional low income housing.

Across the street from the Central Station, work should start later this year on some RDA projects.

The biggest part of the Central Station project area won't begin work until the new bus center is completed. UTA is looking at using revenue from the existing bus storage lot to support the construction of their new headquarters building along 6th West. Their existing building along 2nd South will be redeveloped as part of the RFP.

Clearfield will be completely different and probably more dense or at least taller than it was originally planned to be prior to the Stadler Rail issue. I heard that there is at least 1 developer that wants to build something similar to what is currently planned for Provo near their FrontRunner station (10 to 13 stories).

Now, it may be possible that with the timing of the SL Central Station RFP process (slower due to needing to wait until the new bus center is 60% complete), the heights around the Central Station may be increased, at least for the RFP areas.

I think that for the FrontRunner stations to see much larger and faster TOD's built, FrontRunner will need to be at least selectively double tracked to allow for 15 minute frequencies.

The station areas that would see the biggest (currently unplanned) impact from 15 minute frequencies are the smaller station areas such as Layton, Woods Cross, American Fork, and Lehi.

I do with the South Jordan/Sandy FrontRunner station area would include Residential. All that seems to be built or under construction in the area is Commercial and Hotels.

The Murray FrontRunner/Trax station area is finally getting some attention. Hopefully they will be able to get their planned TOD station built. It may include Commercial, Retail, Residential and a Hotel. The biggest issue is some on the Murray City Council that feel that everyone will drive and they worry about the traffic impact.

Intermountain Medical Center will also be expanding again soon. They recently added a new parking garage. There are plans for additional garages, office towers, and another patient tower.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I do wish the South Jordan/Sandy FrontRunner station area would include Residential. All that seems to be built or under construction in the area is Commercial and Hotels.
They recently built the Jordan Station Apartments, with 539 units, across the street. Just south of South Jordan Parkway, they recently completed the South Ridge Town Homes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West