HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 3:17 AM
stu_pendousmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMtl666 View Post
Wow, its great and welcome to the thread !!

In the other hand, i am not a fan of courthouse rendering and sobeys in downtown as well, both look suburban. These projects could be better in Dieppe than Moncton downtown. I mean that Moncton city council and Lord goverment as well made a huge mistake when they rejected "Assumption Life" plan in 2005. The only thing Verdiroc has done is a call-center that could fit in suburban too. No offence for Moncton, i like moncton too !
Thanks for the welcome!

I agree with you on the assumption life plan, but oh well, nonetheless Moncton still has enough going on (and will continue to)....to have a sticky project thread, how that is done I dont know...otherwise id do it myself

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 3:32 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Just start a new thread to discuss the developments in Moncton, and name it something catchy like "The Official Moncton Projects thread", and if it get's enough traffic, the mods will take care of the "sticky'ing".

Personally, I think any area's projects thread should be sticky'ed.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

I agree with you on the assumption life plan, but oh well, nonetheless Moncton still has enough going on (and will continue to)....to have a sticky project thread, how that is done I dont know...otherwise id do it myself
Moncton will has his own thread my friends

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Feb 1, 2007 at 5:39 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 8:56 PM

Published Monday January 29th, 2007
Appeared on page C6

Energy boom seen as good news for Valley

Mia Urquhart
Telegraph-Journal

The city's rosy economic future with a possible second oil refinery is casting its glow beyond the city limits.

Officials in the Kennebecasis Valley are optimistic about the economic spinoffs for their community if Saint John's energy boom continues.

Quispamsis Mayor Ron Maloney anticipates his town will be a popular destination for newcomers to the area who are looking for homes.

He predicts that a strong demand for housing in the Valley will push up property values, which will, in turn, increase assessments.

That eventually means a strong tax base for the town and higher assessments for new and existing properties.

Just how many tax dollars it will mean will depend on whether certain large-scale projects proceed.

Construction industry leaders have predicted that the Saint John area will need 2,000 more workers in the next five years just to maintain the status quo.

Projects such as the LNG plant, the refurbishment of the Point Lepreau nuclear generating station and the possibility of a second oil refinery will mean thousands more will be needed.

That's all good news for Saint John's bedroom communities, which have already been experiencing a bit of a boom.

Rothesay saw more housing starts in the first three-quarters of 2006 than in all of 2005, which was considered a banner year for development.

Although housing starts in Quispamsis were down last year from 2005, the general trend has been increasing, said Maloney.

He estimated the town saw roughly 150 new housing starts each of the last few years.

The entire Saint John area is already seeing an increase in selling prices for existing homes.

The average selling price increased by 7.1 per cent in 2006 over 2005, according to statistics obtained from the Canadian Real Estate Association.

Todd McAdam, a real estate agent with Royal LePage Atlantic's Rothesay office, said the Valley market has been experiencing a steady increase in home values as a result of "a bit of a buzz in the real estate market."

He anticipates values will continue to increase as the talk of energy-sector development continues.

As workers are lured back to the Saint John area, they'll be looking for homes all over the Saint John area. Eventually, depending upon the scope of the energy boom, the demand for housing will exceed the number of houses available, said McAdam.

He said what is already a seller's market will only get better for sellers.

"The foreseeable future looks very good, especially for the housing market," he said.

Maloney said his town is ready for the boom and everything it could bring to his community.

"With all the projects going on, we see another boom coming in the next few years. Cautious optimism, we might call it," said Maloney.

He said the town has already made expensive investments in its water and sewerage systems and has always tried to prepare for future development. While a massive influx of new development would still require a lot of infrastructure work, the increase would result in higher assessments and an expanded tax base that could help pay for the work.

Maloney is hard-pressed to come up with negative impacts of a flourishing housing market in the Valley.

Perhaps, he said, if all the talked-about projects become reality, then the Valley might experience some traffic congestion.

"Maybe if it took you 15 or 20 minutes to get to work before, it might take you 20 or 25 minutes," he said.

But then again, commute times and congestion are all relative, he pointed out.

After all, a 25-minute commute for someone who works in Toronto is nothing.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 2:53 AM

Saint John city market

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 6:08 PM

Shopping

East complex to open in spring

Mayor Norm McFarlane says he expects the East Point Shopping Complex to open some time in early spring, perhaps April. McFarlane says some of the retailers have already arrived on site, but the exact companies are still a closely guarded secret. The site will be home to numerous businesses, a hotel, and a new road called Retail Drive that will connect Westmorland Road and Rothesay Avenue.

Until now : Roots, Bootlegger. Moores, Cotton Ginny

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 3:38 AM

And where did you get your sources from on those retailers? Other than Roots which is listed on the job site

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandenp View Post
And where did you get your sources from on those retailers? Other than Roots which is listed on the job site
I get my sources in a blog and directly with retailers except for Bootlegger.

Bootlegger left Mccalister place. I suppose, they will stay in town. Obviously, if not, Saint john have a huge problem almost every cities in Canada are able to keep this kind of stores.

Until now, I am not impressed .

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Feb 5, 2007 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 5:39 AM

Bootlegger left McAllister Place because Cadillac Fairview didnt want to renew their lease, It was talked about at the Annual General Meeting a couple months ago.... So McAllister Place have bigger and better plans for that location......

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Bootlegger left McAllister Place because Cadillac Fairview didnt want to renew their lease, It was talked about at the Annual General Meeting a couple months ago.... So McAllister Place have bigger and better plans for that location......
Do you know something in particular you'd like to share?

I am hoping Cadillac Fairview does have better plans for McAllister Place - I have faith, but in the back of my mind I can't help but worrying that the new mall will reduce McAllister place to a new Parkway or Lansdowne-esque hellhole.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 3:51 PM

Quote:
What will happen with Bootlegger ? Cadillac fairview needs to add more leasing spaces like they done with Champlain Place five years ago.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 10:07 PM

Energy department moves to city

Energy department moves to city

Telegraph-Journal
Published Tuesday February 6th, 2007
Appeared on page C2

The provincial government has made good on an election promise to move the Department of Energy from Fredericton to Saint John.

Department staff moved Monday from their capital city offices into a new location, adjacent to the Efficiency New Brunswick headquarters in Saint John.

Energy Minister Jack Keir said it made sense to put the department in the province's energy hub.

"I think by being in the centre of it it's going to allow us the opportunity to see and act on economic development in this sector a whole lot quicker," he said.

The new location is just temporary, said department spokesman Marc Belliveau. They intend to settle into a permanent home in Saint John this summer.

Keir said he's hoping there will not be room for them for long where they are.

"We're hoping that Efficiency New Brunswick grows enough to push us out of there and put us in a permanent location."

He's also hopeful that the energy department will grow in the near future. Depending on how its budget goes, he hopes to see the department expand.

Half of the 20 employees currently working for the Department of Energy moved to Saint John Monday. Four to six more will make the move by the end of next month.

Policy analysts will continue to maintain a small office in Fredericton so they can be close to the legislature when it's in session.

Keir doesn't think NB Power will follow suit and move its offices to the southern city.

"I don't think it's needed," he said, noting he'll still be in Fredericton at least a couple days a week even when the legislature isn't sitting.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 5:12 PM

Published Wednesday February 7th, 2007
Appeared on page C1

Strong signal on harbour cleanup

ROB LINKE
TELEGRAPH-JOURNAL

Saint John MP Paul Zed has received a telling signal that the Harper government will fulfill its commitment to fund its third of the $81 million needed for harbour cleanup within weeks.

In response to Zed's questions Monday night, a Conservative MP speaking for the government said Ottawa is "actively working" on a contribution of $27 million each from the federal, provincial and city governments - and that details will be in the federal budget.

Coming just six weeks or so before the budget is expected, this assurance is the best-timed indicator yet that Ottawa will no longer delay its spending on the massive, multi-year sewage treatment projects that are Saint John's top priority.

"To have this in February for a March budget is effectively lifting the skirt on the budget process," said Zed. "It means 'you're going to get the money.' "

Even if the funding rolls out over several years as intended, a large instalment in this budget and a guarantee the rest is allocated for subsequent budgets means actual construction on sewage treatment projects can start in 2007, said Zed.

Last fall, Saint John and the new Graham government signed a memorandum of understanding committing each to a $26.2 million contribution toward the project. Each level of government is to pay one-third.

The city has been eager to start work on the largest element in the project, a sewage treatment plant at Hazen Creek.

Roughly half of the sewage from city residents still flows into the harbour untreated.

"I would feel I'd achieved something significant for my community as a member of a team if we were able to start this year," said Zed.

The government's signal came Monday night in a reply to the questions Zed posed in a speech.

Zed used a parliamentary mechanism informally known as the "late show" to pursue follow-up questions on harbour cleanup that he'd begun last October in Question Period.

Under the rules, any minister or parliamentary secretary may reply. The exchanges are typically less partisan and more informative than those during Question Period.

Even more important, the government has prior notice of the question, so its scripted reply is not given on the fly.

Zed gave a head's up to the office of Infrastructure Minister Lawrence Cannon, with whom he has been working closely on the issue, that he'd be asking his question.

The reply from Conservative MP Tom Lukiwski, the parliamentary secretary to government house leader Peter Van Loan, is understood to speak for Cannon and the government. Lukiwski said the government recognizes harbour cleanup as New Brunswick's top priority for infrastructure funding, and reiterated Ottawa's commitment.

Details as to the type of infrastructure funding and its criteria "will be announced shortly," said Lukiwski.

"I don't really care what fund it comes from as long as we get the money to fulfill the commitment," said Zed. "It looks like they're either going to create a green fund to enhance some of the existing Liberal-created funds that are there, or some other method."

Veterans Affairs Minister Greg Thompson, the regional minister for New Brunswick, said earlier this month that funding harbour cleanup is just a matter of making an announcement that will come "sooner rather than later." He expressed confidence there were no remaining political obstacles.

Still, Saint John got left in the lurch twice before.

Last March, amid high expectations the full amount for harbour cleanup was going to be announced, Prime Minister Stephen Harper arrived in Saint John to disappoint many with the announcement of a mere $8.5 million three-way fund for a sewage lift station.

Then last spring, the first Harper budget allotted no new money for 2006 for large-scale infrastructure funding, although it did allocate money for 2007 and subsequent years.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 4:40 PM

The Energy Department move is a great idea and good for the city.

That being said, I believe the decision not to relocate NB Power to SJ is a mistake. If you want to create an energy hub, you should simply put everything in one place. It is much easier to walk from office to office uptown rather than drive back and forth, call or email between SJ and Fred. Deals done face to face are still crucial and I think it shows a lack of foresight and sincerity. Hopefully the city will lobby them more convincingly and they will comply.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL Lucas View Post
The Energy Department move is a great idea and good for the city.

That being said, I believe the decision not to relocate NB Power to SJ is a mistake. If you want to create an energy hub, you should simply put everything in one place. It is much easier to walk from office to office uptown rather than drive back and forth, call or email between SJ and Fred. Deals done face to face are still crucial and I think it shows a lack of foresight and sincerity. Hopefully the city will lobby them more convincingly and they will comply.
I think NB Power relocation would be not politically viable for government. Could you imagine the reaction in Fredericton ? As you said Lucas, I hope the city will looby them to get real this move.

Maybe the fact SJ has his own power company has a effect too.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Feb 9, 2007 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 9:03 PM

error, sorry

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Feb 9, 2007 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 11:40 PM

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Feb 10, 2007 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 2:49 PM

Market Square

According to the Telegraph Journal, Hardman Group has applied to city hall for zoning variances that would allow them to add three storeys to the rear of the structure. This would create some prime office space visible to people coming into the downtown from the west side.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 3:16 PM

Building boom continues

Article Tools
Print
Jeff Ducharme
Telegraph-Journal
Published Thursday February 15th, 2007
Appeared on page C1

Cranes could make a comeback on the city's skyline this summer if the Hardman Group can get approval for a 45,000-square-foot expansion to Market Square.

Jim Baird, the city's planning and development commissioner, said the summer is shaping up to be the best development season he's seen in his 27 years at City Hall, although he wouldn't give any further details of what may be looming on the horizon.

"This the most activity that we've seen, especially in this style of development," Baird said.

"There's things happening out east, there's things in the industrial area, as well as in the downtown. So it's a fairly high time from the economic development perspective."

The loading docks on the north side of Market Square were constructed as what Baird called a "development pad." The footings to support the weight of the proposed three-floor development are already designed into the current structure.

"It was built that way, to be expanded."

The expansion would house offices and is not slated as an expansion to the New Brunswick Museum, he said. The museum has said that it's bursting at the seams and is in dire need of space.

No one with the Hardman Group could be reached for comment, but Baird said there is a strong demand for more office space in the uptown.

"It (will be) one storey higher than the current structure."

The development is being advertised by the city, and residents can view a copy at City Hall. Common council will vote on the proposal at its regular meeting on March 12. The politicians must agree to amendments to the original zoning to allow the project to go ahead.

"Council needs to review it from the perspective of how big, parking, design, the whole nine yards," Baird said.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 7:01 PM

check it out - Projects update

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces