HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 11:26 AM

If I remember correctly the problem with the proposed building on Germain wasn't entirey the neighbours. The heritage development by-laws for Trinity Royal state that unless otherwise approved, a new building cannot exceed the average height of all other buildings on that street by more than x% (I can't recall the number).

The irony is that there was an existing 7 storey building on Germain, but it was built before the heritage by-laws were created, and the average of all the buildings on the street is much lower than 7-stories, so the new building could not be approved without a ridiculously long process.

I guess it serves as a good example of why any new development of tall structures should probably take place around Union or other areas that are just outside of Trinity Royal, because the headaches involved in building anything over 5-6 stories in the heritage district are just too much to handle.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 5:35 PM
Harbour Passage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
If I remember correctly the problem with the proposed building on Germain wasn't entirey the neighbours. The heritage development by-laws for Trinity Royal state that unless otherwise approved, a new building cannot exceed the average height of all other buildings on that street by more than x% (I can't recall the number)..

Not positive, but i think it's no more than 15 or 20% higher than the *average* building height in the heritage zone.....

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 6:55 PM

Strescon president excited about modernization project
Industry: Company's ew head office is scheduled to open in the spring of 2008

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon
Telegraph-Journal
Published Saturday October 13th, 2007
Appeared on page B3

SAINT JOHN - Saint John will soon be home to the first all precast concrete office building in Atlantic Canada, with Strescon Limited's new corporate headquarters to be located on Ashburn Lake Road.

The $2.5-million building, with easy access to Highway 1 via the new east bound exit ramp being built, is expected to be completed by the spring.

It will be an impressive showpiece of Strescon's products and craftsmanship, said president Hans Klohn.

All of the building's components, including the roof members, columns, beams and cladding, which will resemble limestone, will be cast into form before being transported for installation.

"We're very excited to be able to do this," said Klohn.

The company has outgrown the existing offices, also located on Ashburn Lake Road - about 1,000 feet from the site of the new complex, he said. "We're just tripping over each other."

And while officials had considered expanding the old building, they decided they wanted a state-of-the-art facility to help attract new employees.

"It's no secret that there's a shortage of skilled people out there and we feel we should create the best environment we can to bring them to the company," he explained.

Office staff include engineers, technicians, people in purchasing, production planning and sales.

Everything from the layout to the lighting will be improved in the new 16,300 square foot-building, said Klohn.

It will also be big enough to allow the office staff to grow up to 75 from the current 60.

Meanwhile, the existing offices will be converted into a new lunchroom, washroom and locker room for production personnel.

It's all part of a five-year modernization plan, which will include another estimated $5.5 million in upgrades, said Klohn.

Construction is already underway at the new facility. Up to 100 people, or about 50 full-time equivalents, are expected to be employed throughout construction, he said.

FCC Construction is providing the project management services, as well as the electrical and data work for the project.

Toss Solutions of Saint John and Architecture 200 Inc. of Moncton will handle the interior design details.

Ocean Steel will provide the reinforcing steel.

Strescon Limited, in business since 1963, is the largest precast and prestressed concrete manufacturer in Eastern Canada, serving the Atlantic provinces, New England and Bermuda.

The company manufactures a wide range of architectural and structural precast and prestressed concrete products, including bridge girders, wall panels, complete parking garages, hollow-core planking, piling and deck slabs. It also manufactures concrete products for engineered drainage systems.

It has about 250 employees in Saint John, including 60 office staff, 140 at the precast concrete plant, 30 at the pipe plant and 20 in the trucking and ready-mix concrete group.

In total, the company employs more than 400 people, with precast concrete plants in Saint John and Halifax, five ready-mix concrete plants in the Maritimes, and sales offices in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Maine and Massachusetts.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have added the rendering on the projects list.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Oct 13, 2007 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 7:59 PM
Unregistered Loser

As long as a new building isn't out of place, seven storeys shouldn't be an issue. In order to pay to comply with heritage rules, the owner needs the extra units for rental income anyway...I guess gravel parking lots takes us back to before any building was there...that's heritage.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 12:27 AM

Empty parking lots plague all kind of cities in philadelphia they were against a 31 story tower(imagine if one was proposed in Saint john) the community's biggest arguement was that they would cast "shadows". Councelman frank diccio said I guess you guys all just want empty parking lots.

In this city I see that I mean germain street is an amazing street its urban but gives an extremely english residential feel. But as long as the building fits and looks good give the street more vibrance. If the street never changes it will be a hellhole in another 50 years. All one of those building needs is a bad landlord or owner and can bring an entire building town they need a lot of care.

Just to Ask How many people here live uptown?

And how many live in a brownstone(my favorite type of building)?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 3:12 PM
Harbour Passage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seely32 View Post
Empty parking lots plague all kind of cities in philadelphia they were against a 31 story tower(imagine if one was proposed in Saint john) the community's biggest arguement was that they would cast "shadows". Councelman frank diccio said I guess you guys all just want empty parking lots.

In this city I see that I mean germain street is an amazing street its urban but gives an extremely english residential feel. But as long as the building fits and looks good give the street more vibrance. If the street never changes it will be a hellhole in another 50 years. All one of those building needs is a bad landlord or owner and can bring an entire building town they need a lot of care.

Good points.....I think the emphasis should be placed on "as long as the building fits in" ( I think the "new" heritage style brick home built on the corner of germain & princess a few years back is a testament to this idea). . . . .while I'm all for development, new architecture, vibrancy, etc. . .we do have a rather unique situation when it some to the number/density of heritage buildings which sets us apart from other cities. . . I'd argue that this should be protected (stringent bylaws, etc to discourage bad landlords, realistic economic incentives / tax breaks to buy/restore or build to heritage specifications) . . . . . i'd suggest bookending the heritage area with vertical (mixed commercial/residential) development (i.e., to the north on the coastguard site / union street and to the south on the lantic sugar site) .... the best of both worlds

I work uptown, but live in Millidgeville.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 4:30 PM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
I live uptown.

Quote:
Not me, it's a mix of vinyl and wood siding.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 3:58 PM

Quote:
I did for a while, but just left for NFLD in September.

Quote:
I have lived in 3 different brownstones Uptown - two on Orange St., and one on Horsfield St.

I loved my time Uptown, it is the best place to live, work and play in Saint John, and I'd love to see more people move there to enjoy it.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 5:00 PM

Quote:
I moved uptown in the Spring.

Quote:
I live in a nice modern building.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 7:21 PM

I have been lurking for ages on here reading the great content, but the recent discussion actually encouraged me to register and make my first post!

I also live uptown and have for years. I live in a beautiful wooden Queen Anne house now, but I used to live in a beautiful brownstone on Germain.

I am actually well versed in the hertitage preservation, rehabilitation and restoration in the uptown area. I wrote my Master thesis on it, and understand many of the issues well.
Some of the comments above are focused on ignoring some of the built heritage in favour of newer and more modern development. I can't stress enough how bad of an idea this is. In Saint John we have the most complete collection of built heritage in the entire country. This amazing resource is something we should be taking full advantage of, not getting rid of.

I am all for the development of new modern buildings in areas that are well suited to it. If you mix new modern development incorrectly with built heritage you end up with a mess like downtown Halifax. They have some amazing old architecture, and some amazing modern architecture, but side by side they look foolish. In Saint John we can easily build modern architecture around the heritage areas and have the best of both worlds. Inside the heritage areas we can put in sensitive infill like the houses on Prince William up on the Hill, some of the 2-3 story infill in various areas, and the Leinster Court project. All are great examples of increasing the tax base with sensitive infill. The reason for heritage bylaws and rules is to protect our unique asset. We have something noone else has and we need to protect it. We can't have anymore examples of ugly little blue vinyl buildings amongst amazing heritage architecture like we have on Orange STreet. What an embarrasment that spot is.

Anyway, I will stop rambling - I could go on for ever.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishy View Post
I have been lurking for ages on here reading the great content, but the recent discussion actually encouraged me to register and make my first post!

I also live uptown and have for years. I live in a beautiful wooden Queen Anne house now, but I used to live in a beautiful brownstone on Germain.

I am actually well versed in the hertitage preservation, rehabilitation and restoration in the uptown area. I wrote my Master thesis on it, and understand many of the issues well.
Some of the comments above are focused on ignoring some of the built heritage in favour of newer and more modern development. I can't stress enough how bad of an idea this is. In Saint John we have the most complete collection of built heritage in the entire country. This amazing resource is something we should be taking full advantage of, not getting rid of.

I am all for the development of new modern buildings in areas that are well suited to it. If you mix new modern development incorrectly with built heritage you end up with a mess like downtown Halifax. They have some amazing old architecture, and some amazing modern architecture, but side by side they look foolish. In Saint John we can easily build modern architecture around the heritage areas and have the best of both worlds. Inside the heritage areas we can put in sensitive infill like the houses on Prince William up on the Hill, some of the 2-3 story infill in various areas, and the Leinster Court project. All are great examples of increasing the tax base with sensitive infill. The reason for heritage bylaws and rules is to protect our unique asset. We have something noone else has and we need to protect it. We can't have anymore examples of ugly little blue vinyl buildings amongst amazing heritage architecture like we have on Orange STreet. What an embarrasment that spot is.

Anyway, I will stop rambling - I could go on for ever.
You make very valuable points, but what I don't agree with is your statement about old and new architecture side-by-side. New and old buildings generally compliment one another well and actually help diversify the city and the acitivities taking place within the city.
I'm all for the preservation of SJ's historical gems as well, but good modern architecture (if and when we finally get some) can enhance the qualities of the older style building and vice-versa. It isn't responsible to have a strictly modern section of the city and a strictly older/historic section. I think I know what you're getting at with Orange St. though.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 10:59 PM
Harbour Passage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishy View Post

I am all for the development of new modern buildings in areas that are well suited to it. If you mix new modern development incorrectly with built heritage you end up with a mess like downtown Halifax. They have some amazing old architecture, and some amazing modern architecture, but side by side they look foolish. In Saint John we can easily build modern architecture around the heritage areas and have the best of both worlds.

First of all, welcome to the forum - the more opinions/perspectives expressed, the better! Hopefully, it will encourage other "lurkers" to voice their views as well and contribute.

I guess at the end of the day there's no crystal ball to consult...its hard to predict long term what the "best" strategy is for growth (and hey - "best" can be defined by # new people in the area, quality of new buildings, # new jobs, quality of life....and so many others...) I also agree with preserving/anhancing as much of the heritage area as possible...the way I see it, there's more than sufficient room to develop water street, the old lantic sugar site and the coast guard site...start with that...encourage modern high quality development....my guess is that the contrast between neighbourhoods this creates will only enhance both, and lets be honest - this would be a fairly unique feature for Saint John.

I lived in St. John's, NL for a few years, and the combination of fairly old/fairly new buildings looks IMHO ridiculous...i'd argue that it encourages further disrepair of the older buildings...

Again - no way to know for sure....but debate is always worth while.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 11:08 PM
Unregistered Loser

While I agree with alot of what was said with regards to heritage preservation, I don't think we have the luxury of ignoring modern development. Some of the south end is occupied with building owners who care enough to keep their buildings in good repair, but just as often, building owners and tenants alike let their dwellings fall into deplorable shape.

I agree there are streets, like Germain and Queen, which are valuabe as a unit. On the other hand, there are streets that need a nice big bulldozer; not to unduly destroy heritage, but to redevelop ugly, unkept areas. In this way, the modern buildings may in a way compliment the old. Some of these unkept buildings are not heritage anyway, and some of these buildings have long since had any heritage element removed.

Investment in the area should be welcomed, carefully of course. The truth is, none of these buildings will last forever and surely can't dictate our growth strategy in the face of our first boom in over twenty years. As nice as it would be to keep everything low and old for the sake of history, these showpieces aren't much good if there isn't anyone around to enjoy them.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2007, 3:18 AM

WATERFRONT DEVELOPMENT: DEAL OR NO DEAL?

JOHN CHILIBECK
PUBLIC EYE
Published Wednesday October 17th, 2007
Appeared on page C1

In this game of catch up, no one wants to listen to the experts. People who have worked on waterfront projects have warned Saint Johners that these complex seaside development proposals can take upward of 30 years to complete, especially with so many competing interests butting heads. Halifax, Portland, and Boston have all had their headaches making their ports friendlier to the public.

But now that locals have had a taste of waterfront renewal, they're anxious to drink in more. Harbour Passage, the three-kilometre trail that winds from the port to the North End, has been a smash with locals. For the 2,500 people who use the cranberry path every day, enjoying vistas that were once off-limits, it's probably the wisest investment of $5 million that government and business has recently made.

The only problem is, a lot of people trotting by the old Canadian Coast Guard property at the start of the path are now reminded that the big, fenced off property has yet to undergo a facelift. Nearly two years ago, the city announced with great fanfare that it was accepting a $75-million proposal from the Hardman Group to renew the site, a plan that would include a new hotel, condos, townhouses, retail and commercial buildings and a new urban technology campus. Hardman was anxious to get the first part of the four-phase development completed within three years.

The developer probably hadn't counted on Ottawa's moving at a snail's pace to leave.

"Everything we hear about dealing with the federal land is that they take a long time to sell, regrettably," says Bill MacMackin, the president of the Saint John Waterfront Development Partnership.

He's as eager as anybody to see more business investment, but he says the file is complex. And he understands that the feds are simply protecting their assets and taxpayers' dollars. Optimistically, he thinks construction could start at the earliest by spring 2009. "That's a best case scenario."

The city is negotiating to buy the land for the best possible price and then lease the property back to the Hardman Group. Complicating the transaction is the deteriorating seawall, which the new owner would have to repair.

Mayor Norm McFarlane says one bid submitted for the property about three months back wasn't accepted by Ottawa, so another was submitted as recently as two weeks ago. In late September, the mayor had the ear of federal cabinet minister Vic Toews, president of the Treasury Board, for a one-hour meeting, to help move the file along.

McFarlane thinks the city could sign for the property before the end of the year, but then it would take another 12 months just to acquire it with all the proper paperwork in place.

"It isn't quick," says McFarlane, "These retail things take a long time."

McFarlane should know. He pushed hard to win the Indigo bookstore for East Point Shopping, going so far as enlisting local boy and former Loblaws CEO Dick Currie to sway owner Gerry Schwartz and CEO Heather Reisman. He's also been pushing Costco to open one of its big stores in Saint John, and in the past month has talked to Air Canada about introducing more flights and The Keg about opening a new restaurant. But he has not done any arm-wrenching for the Hardman Group yet.

"Once we get the site, if Hardman wants me to help them, I will," pledges the mayor.

You can bet the mayor will try if voters give him a chance in the election next May. If there's one thing McFarlane loves, it's being the deal-maker.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 8:18 PM

An extra floor destined for Delta Brunswick?

Building boom creates need for rooms in Saint John

CBC News

Hotel managers in Saint John say the influx of construction workers for ongoing energy projects in New Brunswick is giving the hospitality industry a much-needed shot in the arm.

Steve Savoy, owner of Earle of Leinster B&B in the uptown area of Saint John, said rooms in the city are becoming hard to find and that's causing prices to inflate, which is good for the industry.

"Five bed and breakfasts have closed in the uptown area in the last three or four years," Savoy said. "The business hasn't been there. It's just a matter of putting the prices up and that will force more people into the business."

Savoy said his own bed and breakfast is booked through the winter.

Room prices in uptown Saint John tend to be higher than rates on the east side of the city. Savoy said a strong rate base for rooms will encourage more hotels and bed and breakfasts to open.

"Having a strong rate base for your rooms in the city will only make these accommodations affordable to be operated and to be opened," Savoy said. "A weak economy or a weak room base rate makes it very hard for people to open up."

Paulette Hicks, manager of the Delta Brunswick hotel and member of the Saint John Hotel Association, agrees that the high demand for accommodation is helping the local industry.

"We want to see both new builds and organic growth," Hicks said. "Certainly Delta Brunswick has been designed to add a floor to it and our owners are certainly interested in seeing where that forecast will go to make that investment."

Hicks said three new hotels are being built in Saint John, adding more than 100 rooms to the fully booked city. Hicks said if people continue arriving in Saint John for work, she expects to see more hotels spring up.

The construction projects are related to the booming North American liquid natural gas (LNG) market.

One major project is a LNG receiving and regasification terminal, being built by Irving Oil and Repsol YPF.

The second major project is a $350 million pipeline from that terminal to distribute the gas to markets in Canada and the U.S. Both projects are expected to be completed by 2008.

The construction boom has already given the housing market in Saint John a boost.

Numbers released by the Saint John Real Estate Board for August 2007 showed a 46 per cent jump in the average value of residential properties over August 2006.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 9:32 PM
Harbour Passage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
WATERFRONT DEVELOPMENT: DEAL OR NO DEAL?

The only problem is, a lot of people trotting by the old Canadian Coast Guard property at the start of the path are now reminded that the big, fenced off property has yet to undergo a facelift. Nearly two years ago, the city announced with great fanfare that it was accepting a $75-million proposal from the Hardman Group to renew the site, a plan that would include a new hotel, condos, townhouses, retail and commercial buildings and a new urban technology campus. Hardman was anxious to get the first part of the four-phase development completed within three years.

The developer probably hadn't counted on Ottawa's moving at a snail's pace to leave.

"Everything we hear about dealing with the federal land is that they take a long time to sell, regrettably," says Bill MacMackin, the president of the Saint John Waterfront Development Partnership.

He's as eager as anybody to see more business investment, but he says the file is complex. And he understands that the feds are simply protecting their assets and taxpayers' dollars. Optimistically, he thinks construction could start at the earliest by spring 2009. "That's a best case scenario."

The city is negotiating to buy the land for the best possible price and then lease the property back to the Hardman Group. Complicating the transaction is the deteriorating seawall, which the new owner would have to repair.

Mayor Norm McFarlane says one bid submitted for the property about three months back wasn't accepted by Ottawa, so another was submitted as recently as two weeks ago. In late September, the mayor had the ear of federal cabinet minister Vic Toews, president of the Treasury Board, for a one-hour meeting, to help move the file along.

I walked Harbour Passge this afternoon...felt more like august than late Oct....Robertson's Wharf is nearly finished, and imho it fits in perfectly in the area, both space wise and from a design standpoint.

We then stopped and had a bite to eat on the patio at the Hilton, then proceeded to walk towards the Coast Guard...ARRRRGGGHHHHHH.

The quicker the proposed Hardman project (http://www.hardmangroup.ca/developme...oastguard.html) starts the better; I can think of no other *single* initiative in the area that would be either a) as visible & have such an impact on the skyline and b) act as a catalyst for further development as this particular paroject would. That being said, it's interesting to note how *little* is heard about the status of this project, or about the barriers in terms of land transfer that it faces; I was pleased to see the above article in the paper last week...the more visible the issue in terms of being on the public / political "radar" the better....

End of Sunday afternoon rant.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 12:58 PM

A couple new stores uptown.

Maternity, baby boutique will be unique

Erin Dwyer
Developments
Published Tuesday October 23rd, 2007
Appeared on page C5
When Jenny Scott was pregnant with her daughter Emmerson, now two, she couldn't find the unique stroller, cloth diapers or the stylish maternity clothes she was looking for.

So the owner of Ambiance Day Spa was forced to go shopping outside the city and sometimes outside the province.

"There wasn't really anything uptown for maternity," she said. "And for unique strollers, furniture and high chairs, there really wasn't a lot of options. It was all the same."

After Emmerson was born, Scott would take her for walks in the unique stroller she purchased. When she walked through the City Market, people would stop and comment about her baby's wheels. For Scott, it was just more evidence that a maternity and baby boutique was needed in the uptown.

"Things that we had, people were loving and so I decided it would go well and it was needed. There is currently no maternity store in Saint John, which blows my mind."

But Scott was busy with her other business. So it wasn't until she was pregnant with her son Clinton, now eight months, that she decided to take action. She put together a business plan, went to Las Vegas to a trade show for juvenile and maternity products, and this summer decided to go full steam ahead to open Stylin Mama, Baby & Tots Inc.

The 140-square-metre location on the second level of Market Square is now under construction, but Scott hopes it will be open by the first week of December. Then, customers will be able to find a whole range of products that they've likely never seen before.

"I'm looking for unique things," Scott said. "I'm trying to find things that aren't already in Saint John or not even in New Brunswick in some cases.

"I don't want to carry what Sears and Toys 'R' Us already have. I want to be different. I want to be a boutique. I want to be family run."

The store will carry such lines as the Britax car seats, which have the highest industry safety rating; Baby Bjorn; Phil&Ted; Mountain Buggy; KidCo safety gates; Haba wooden toys from Germany; Stokke adaptable high chair; Fleurville diaper bags, which were featured on Oprah; Bravado! and Glamourmom nursing tank tops; Hooter Hiders nursing gear; and several maternity and baby clothing lines and toys.

Some of the merchandise will be on display during Market Square's fashion show Wednesday.

"I think Saint John needs a store like this and is ready for one," Scott said.

Print Three joins 'powerhouse'
One of Canada's largest owner-operated printing networks is setting up the first of its 10 new Maritime stores in Saint John.

And Jack Liu, the general manager for the new Print Three store on the third level of Brunswick Square, said the Port City was chosen because of its economic development.

"It looks like Saint John is a kind of powerhouse," he said. "We see a lot of potential here."

Print Three offers digital printing and web-to-print services aimed at small and medium businesses. The 30-year-old Toronto-based company has 67 stores across Canada - the closest one being in St. John's, N.L. By 2010, the company is hoping to grow to 100 locations.

With a master franchise agreement for New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Liu plans to open 10 stores in the next three years, including ones in Fredericton, Moncton and Halifax. The Province of New Brunswick has also approved his business to be part of the province's nominee program to help new immigrants secure work in the province.

The Brunswick Square store is set to open Oct. 30.

The print store sounds good bringing more immigrants uptown keeping them here and securing that they have a job. I think seeing that brunswick square and market square are getting two more stores we need to get more people into these places.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:12 PM

Website up and running for the new Hampton Inn

http://www.hamptoninnsaintjohn.com/

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
While I agree with alot of what was said with regards to heritage preservation, I don't think we have the luxury of ignoring modern development. Some of the south end is occupied with building owners who care enough to keep their buildings in good repair, but just as often, building owners and tenants alike let their dwellings fall into deplorable shape.

I agree there are streets, like Germain and Queen, which are valuabe as a unit. On the other hand, there are streets that need a nice big bulldozer; not to unduly destroy heritage, but to redevelop ugly, unkept areas. In this way, the modern buildings may in a way compliment the old. Some of these unkept buildings are not heritage anyway, and some of these buildings have long since had any heritage element removed.

Investment in the area should be welcomed, carefully of course. The truth is, none of these buildings will last forever and surely can't dictate our growth strategy in the face of our first boom in over twenty years. As nice as it would be to keep everything low and old for the sake of history, these showpieces aren't much good if there isn't anyone around to enjoy them.
I absolutely agree with what you're saying. There are certainly some areas that need to be addressed and the heritage argument holds no water in some neighbourhoods. SOme buildings have been horribly maintained and basically destroyed by ignorant and cheap owners. They are past the point of no return. We can easily replace those spots with suitable infill and new development.

The areas that are valuable as a unit should certainly be protected as they are now. Within our heritage areas (Trinity Royal, Orange Street, and recently King Street East and others), the buildings are protected and for good reason. They are unique invaluable pieces of history that draw visitors and residents willing to invest in high end properties. Some other legitimate areas of the City need to be designated with heritage status to preserve our unique built heritage and keep it for years to come.

The key is to encourange and balance growth and new development without throwing out our heritage. You can find high rise condos and ugly apartment buildings in any decent sized city. You cannot find one of a kind heritage. That is one of the key attractions to our City. The amazing and unique situation we find ourselves in is that we have the capability to have and benefit from both. I don't mind suitable development near my 130 year old heritage home, but I don't want it to be ugly, cheap or generic looking. I want a building to be built wich is just as beautiful and attractive to owners as mine is even though the new one may be concrete and glass, not bricks and wooden siding!

We have the land, the opportunity and the interest to have both heritage and new growth and that is very exciting. We can have high rises and nice apartments to increase population density on the peninsula, but not in the wrong places. A misguided idea like Tobias building too high on one of the nicest blocks in our City is just foolish. There are much better locations for such a building without ignoring bylaws and good reasonable sense.

I am glad to be part of this discussion. I love the development of the City, and I look forward to seeing us continue to grow and prosper!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 8:28 PM

A new way to Red Head
Road: No taxpayers' money used to build $10-million project

Mazerolle
Telegraph-Journal
Published Thursday October 25th, 2007
Appeared on page C1
SAINT JOHN - The new secondary access road to Red Head cost as much to build as the city typically spends on all road projects combined in one year - about $10 million.

"And just imagine," Mayor Norm McFarlane said of the project at its official opening Wednesday. "Not one cent of taxpayers' money."

The seven-kilometre road was built by Canaport LNG - a partnership between Irving Oil and the Spanish company Repsol YPF - and then donated to the city. The road provides the company with access to its liquefied natural gas terminal, which is now under construction; the municipality with a road it could not afford; and residents along the Red Head Road with a reprieve from heavy truck traffic.

McFarlane, speaking to about 60 people outside Red Head Road United Church, called the road a "significant gift" and said it was the largest road project completed in the city in 20 years.

The road starts where Bayside Drive meets Old Black River Road and heads in the direction of Canaport before turning sharply right and connecting with the Red Head Road near the United church. For Irving Oil, a private road continues straight onward to the Canaport entrance.

The main section of the road is now known as an extension of Bayside Drive, while the road that connects the new road with the Red Head Road has been named Hewitt Road.

The City of Saint John had looked at building a new road into the Red Head area since 1995 because erosion threatens the area's only access road. The Red Head Road had been the only way in or out for the 700 or so people who live there.

McFarlane said common council has been quick to embrace new ways of doing business, and compared this partnership with the Retail Drive construction in the East Side shopping district, which was built in a collaboration between the city and developer Troy Northrup, the man behind the East Point Shopping complex.

Construction of the Red Head project began in April 2006, and was completely finished in August, although Canaport-bound trucks began using the road as early as mid-December.

The city made deals with 11 property owners for various pieces of land needed for the road, and expropriated land from six other property owners who refused to settle.

The route offers expansive views of the Bay of Fundy and the city, with a vista stretching from the Irving Oil Refinery all the way to the smokestacks at Coleson Cove.

Gary Bischof, general manager of processing and transportation at Irving Oil, thanked Red Head residents for their patience.

"Probably for the residents who live along the road, this new road couldn't come soon enough," he said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces