HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
I must say the posts here have been quite good lately. Thanks to all. I see a few posts back pictures of Eastpoint. Drove by there today and happened to notice what looks like construction beginning in front of the new Hampton Inn and beside the new Indigo. Rumours anyone?
Well Northrup was planning on finishing his strip mall with or without tenants lined up. I assure you he probably does but the are next to indigo will just seem similar to the other parts. The skating rink he set up will be gone soon and I guess he's dropped a hint or two that he is looking for something more permanent and along the same lines.

I just hope there are more high quality retailers looking into the city. I mean at least a gap would be nice.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
Great pictures!! You actually have a picture of my new house being built right now. I wont mention which photo in case I annoy someone on this forum with my opinion.

I grew up in Saint John, but have lived the last 7 years in Fredericton and have finally had the opportunity to move back to this city. I had always wanted to move back and now that things are really booming here I am so happy to be back in the city. The attitudes of people in the city seem to have really changed for the better, and it is clear we are on the verge of really making positive things happen in this city.

Thanks again for the great photos, I look forward to being a member of this forum.
Welcome back to sj and welcome to the forum as well.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 7:21 PM
Unregistered Loser

New station will benefit south end, says police chief
Community Bodechon expects 'exchange of information' will help enforcement efforts

Dave MacLean
Telegraph-Journal
Published Friday March 7th, 2008
Appeared on page C4

SAINT JOHN - If the success in other neighbourhoods is any indication, the south end should soon benefit from less crime and better relations between residents and police when its community police station opens.

A crowd of about 125 residents, community activists, politicians and police officers gathered at the St. John the Baptist-King Edward School Thursday night to share information about crime in the neighbourhood as the Saint John Police Force looks ahead to establishing the fifth community police station in the city.

When the south end station opens later this year, it will join four other such facilities in the city.

The first was established uptown on Canterbury Street (it's now located on Prince William Street) and others were added in the north end and the lower west side. A fourth will soon open in Crescent Valley.

"Those were the five areas that we identified, based on a review of the calls for service in 2006 in terms of the areas where we were spending most of the time with our patrol officers on repeat calls for service," said Police Chief Allen Bodechon.

"The great thing is the trust and respect that's building between the police and the community. We're in touch with the community, we're listening to the community and it's helping us to identify issues in the community."

Bodechon said the facility will cost in the $150,000 range and none of the money is coming from the police force's budget.

"Every one of the projects has been sponsored by the community," he said. "This project has two private (sponsors) and one (level of) government. People like to be associated with success and when they see the others working they're willing to work with us."

He said the identity of the three funding partners will be revealed at next Tuesday's board of police commissioners meeting.

The exact location hasn't yet been determined, but the chief said community feedback so far has indicated residents want to see the station located somewhere near the school, the South End Community Centre and the Turnbull Nursing Home. He said the force has received an offer of help with the location from a citizen who wishes to remain anonymous, but "I want to hear what the community has to say first."

The chief also praised Const. Jeremy Edwards, who has been assigned to the south end station.

"We're very excited to open the community police office in the lower south end," said Bodechon. "We think there's a positive relationship that's already there and we know that Jeremy will help enhance that relationship. We expect that there will be a great exchange of information daily and that will help us be even more successful."

Donnie Snook, the director of the Inner City Youth Ministry located in the south end, says it's great news for the neighbourhood.

Snook says the relationship between police and children in the south end improved greatly when a community officer worked out of the school a number of years ago.

"It's exciting that they're moving ahead again with an officer in the south end," said Snook. "I couldn't help but think that we had a taste of it years ago when the police were in the south end and we've seen the impact that it had then. We have every reason to expect that it will be everything that we had before and then some.

"There are no shortcuts. It takes this type of approach and this type of presence in the neighbourhood. It's going to mean more than just building an office. It's the residents and those who work with them getting behind this initiative and pulling together."

Mayor Norm McFarlane was pleased with the turnout and says the community stations have been a work in process during his years in office.

"You have to do this right and it's taken us four years to get to this point," he said, adding the police presence could entice more development in the south end.

"People are putting a lot of effort into renovating their homes in the south end," said McFarlane. "They're showing a lot of pride and this new station will add to that and people will want to return to the south end.

"There are a lot of nice buildings here. Things are picking up nicely in the other neighbourhoods. This is a win-win for the citizens, especially because we didn't have to use a single dime of taxpayers' money."

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 7:27 PM
Unregistered Loser

Just how tall is this building supposed to be anyway? 3 Floors? 4 Floors?

Quote:
[ROTHESAY'S LOSS MAY BE QUISPAM'S GAIN]

CHSJ NEWS

SHANNEX, THE COMPANY BEHIND THE PROPOSED ASSISTED LIVING PROJECT IN ROTHESAY, IS LOOKING TO POSSIBLY SET UP SHOP ON MARKET STREET IN QUISPAMSIS.

QUISPAMSIS MAYOR RON MALONEY TELLS CHSJ NEWS THE COMPANY HAS BEEN GRANTED A PUBLIC HEARING WITH THE PLANNING ADVISORY COMMITTEE ON APRIL 1ST.

THE ROTHESAY PROJECT HAS BEEN STALLED IN RECENT MONTHS DUE TO CONCERNS ABOUT THE HEIGHT OF THE BUILDING. THE ROTHESAY P.A.C IS CURRENTLY WAITING FOR A REPORT ON THE ISSUE.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
Just how tall is this building supposed to be anyway? 3 Floors? 4 Floors?
That doesn't surprise me at all, Rothesay's council and mayor are among the most backward you'll ever find. You know the Heritage Trust in Halifax that the Haligonians are always complaining about? I'd honestly bet on the Rothesay council if the two were ever pitted against each other.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 3:03 AM

Cruise ship terminal begins to take shape

Quote:
Tourism $8.7-million facility will be open for passengers in August; cruise ship lines 'ecstatic'
Jeff Ducharme
Telegraph-Journal
Published Friday March 7th, 2008
Appeared on page C5
SAINT JOHN - The new cruise ship terminal building is taking shape on the former home of the Pugsley sheds that once dominated the wharf.

Crews are driving steel pillars into the ground that will support the structure of the $8.7-million cruise ship terminal.

The project will pick up speed over the next two weeks, said port spokesman Bill Eaton.

"Back in 1989, we had one cruise ship come in and this year we're expect 82," Eaton said.

The success, said Eaton, is a reflection of what the city has done to support the cruise industry and welcome those passengers to the city.

With a main floor of 15,770 square feet, the structure will begin to look like a building by June and be open for passengers in August. The second-floor mezzanine will be approximately half the size of the main floor.

"They're ecstatic," Eaton said of the cruise ship lines' response to the new terminal. "When you put the infrastructure in and you can take better care of their passengers, they're happier."

Passengers used to be welcomed into large white tents in an effort to shield them from the unpredictable Saint John weather.

Marco Maritimes Ltd. is contractor on the Water Street project.

Discussions are still continuing, but the Saint John Port Authority is hoping to make portions of the building available to the community when it is not being used to welcome cruise ship passengers. The port authority will also move its offices into the facility.

Inside the terminal building, preliminary plans call for a Bay of Fundy and port interpretation centre.

"There's some incredible pictures that we have access to and the public should be able to see," Eaton said.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 5:35 AM

The terminal is pretty wierd to watch with part of the foundation already set, it seems like they are just putting steal in the ground. The difference in height is also quite strange I guess thats how they will achieve thier "diamond" shaped building. I see they bumped the completion date to August I guess the will be really putting some hours in here.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 8:36 AM
Believer in the future

The photo (above) of the steel being driven into the ground is probably the most exciting thing I have seen in a very long time. Think about how many years have passed since we have had ANY development of substance on the waterfront? I can recall Mercantile Center (not waterfront) and Market Square (1983) but other than that, we have seen the removal of a storage shed at Pugsley and the former Lantic Sugar Refinery tear-down but truly, nothing else - and certainly nothing new! Maybe it's just me - I am aware of all of the East side development however, I am super encouraged to see this Cruise welcome center actually start to take physical form. FINALLY!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 11:10 AM

'The deal is done' for Coast Guard site
Rejuvenation: Ottawa finally accepts city's offer to buy coveted property

Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon
Telegraph-Journal
Published Saturday March 8th, 2008
Appeared on page B1

SAINT JOHN - The city and federal government have finally reached a deal on the purchase and sale of the former Coast Guard site, says the city manager.

Although there are still some details to work out, such as the closing date, the federal Department of Public Works has accepted the price offered by the city last September, along with other general terms of sale, said Terry Totten. He received written confirmation on Thursday, but it will likely be months before the legal purchase and sale agreement is signed. "Until we get that done, there's no formal acceptance, but the deal is done."

The city first expressed interest to Ottawa in buying the property almost eight years ago.

Totten declined to say how much the city offered, but it's "in the vicinity" of the $3.4 million set aside in the capital budget for land purchase and site preparations.

The city hopes to take ownership of the property by December, but the Department of Fisheries and Oceans still has to find a new home, so that could affect the time line. It's possible the city will take the site over in phases, he suggested.

Meanwhile, negotiations with the Hardman Group over its proposed $75-million development are "progressing along quite well," said Ross Jefferson, on behalf of the Saint John Development Corporation, which is assisting the city.

He expects to have a financial development agreement in place within 12 to 16 weeks. Public input on the development as well as formal design approval, including rezoning, are also expected to be completed during that period, he said.

Construction is still expected to start in 2009, but the previously discussed spring start might be a "bit aggressive," said Jefferson.

Among the issues still being worked out is whether the city will sell or lease the land to Hardman.

"The Development Corporation is open to consider what they think would be in the best interest of the city. We're not sure what that is right now," selling or leasing, said Totten.

The option to sell has "always been on the table," he said.

But it's never been discussed publicly. Up until now, the city has said it planned to buy the property from Ottawa and earn its money back through a lease with Hardman.

"It has not been discussed at the council level, but it was brought to their attention about a year, year-and-a-half ago," said Totten.

"Hardman's preference would be to have clear title to the land," particularly for the condominium portion of the proposed development, which also includes a hotel, townhouses, commercial and retail space, parking and an educational technology complex, he explained.

"We've said that right from the outset," confirmed Colin Whitcomb, Hardman's executive vice-president.

Ideally, the company wants to buy the land in phases, coinciding with development, he said.

The first phase of the development is expected to include a 130-room hotel, a 36-unit condominium tower and an underground pedway connection to Market Square. It is slated to take three years. Once all four phases are completed in about 10 years, it will the biggest development on the waterfront since the Market Square project in the 1980s.

Whitcomb declined to divulge how much Hardman is willing to pay for the six-acre property it describes on its website as being "one of Atlantic Canada's most prestigious waterfront development sites."

"We've talked figures back and forth," he said.

Totten was also tight-lipped about whether the city would try to sell the land at a profit. "We certainly would not want it to cost the city or the citizens of Saint John."

The decision of whether to sell or lease will be based on "straight economics," weighing the pros and cons of having a lump sum of cash, which would likely go toward paying down the city's debt, versus having a steady revenue stream long term, said Totten. It's possible some of the land could be sold and the rest leased, he said.

Selling versus leasing is "not the big issue," stressed Totten. It's how quickly the site can be developed and contribute to the city's coffers through property taxes. He expects that amount will be "significant," not only through the site itself, but also increased value of nearby properties, such as Market Square and City Hall.

The city plans to hire a facilitator next week to help finalize the deal, including what services are required on the site and who should pay, as well as who's responsible for ongoing maintenance.

"We want to ensure we're not subsidizing private development, but encouraging it to occur as quickly as it can," said Totten. "It's a complicated site" because it's little more than a wharf and requires a special foundation to build on, he said. It also has a deteriorating seawall.

In December 2005, when the city announced it was accepting the Hardman Group proposal to renew the site, some officials had optimistically suggested the development could start in the summer of 2006.

"We're progressing along. Not lightening speed, but we are progressing," said Whitcomb. "Projects of this scale take time."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 11:12 AM

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seely32 View Post

WHooot whoot whoot!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seely32 View Post

I'm going to have to agree with this post.
Truly the best news for SJ I've read in a while.

Where do I sign up to buy the condo on the top floor of the tower? lol

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 6:30 PM
welcome to the madness

^^^Absolutely fantastic--it will transform a huge hole in the waterfront!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 8:23 PM
All aboard the Failboat

Finally, the city's worked out a deal with the federal Govt. and if I remember the plans correctly, this would mean three new highrises for the uptown.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 10:56 PM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I'm going to have to agree with this post.
Truly the best news for SJ I've read in a while.

Where do I sign up to buy the condo on the top floor of the tower? lol

Thats exactly what I was thinking, top floor, harbour view!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 11:10 PM
Unregistered Loser

Latest Goast Guard Site Renderings

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 12:32 AM

I have wondered for years what they plan to put in the educational building. UNB stated publicly that they weren't interested in leaving Tucker Park and the province's tranformation of post secondary education didn't seem to include any moves to the waterfront.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 12:46 AM
All aboard the Failboat

It could be used to house the district 8 offices, or it go to general office space.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 12:54 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightguy0 View Post
It could be used to house the district 8 offices, or it go to general office space.
I heard UNB may want to put the business school there. It'd be nice to see NBCC move in there!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 1:10 AM
All aboard the Failboat

Well it would give the buisiness students a place that's adjacent to the CBD
I just couldn't see NBCCSJ leaving the east side campus

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces