HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 8:00 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
i still have no clue what you guys are talking about :S
There's an observation deck at the current terminal where the public can sit and watch what's happening below on the tarmac.

Apparently this new building won't have a public gallery where you can sit and watch the planes land / takeoff.

I hope that makes sense.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 8:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
There's an observation deck at the current terminal where the public can sit and watch what's happening below on the tarmac.

Apparently this new building won't have a public gallery where you can sit and watch the planes land / takeoff.

I hope that makes sense.
i can't see were the hell this is at are airport......

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 3:57 PM

NF, r u sure? I work at YYC and I think that the upper level foodcourt overlooks a public, pre security viewing/lounge area. There's a Starbucks there, if indeed we are speaking about the same area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Here is a pic of the viewing gallery at the Calgary Airport. Notice the foodcourt on the second level, which is not in the secure area and then notice the gate seating below for the people within the secure area.

The Calgary airport is not great, but this is a very nice feature.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs
i can't see were the hell this is at are airport......
Its on the second level at the back of the airport. There is a glass elevator and a staircase. A lot of windows. You can't miss it

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 7:47 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Its on the second level at the back of the airport. There is a glass elevator and a staircase. A lot of windows. You can't miss it
Wasn't it closed for a long time and then they reopened it maybe 10 years ago? Or else they fixed it up. I remember it from when I was a kid although then there wasn't any "security"...anyone could go and wait with you at the gate and look out at the planes from what was then the general waiting area.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 7:53 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
NF, r u sure? I work at YYC and I think that the upper level foodcourt overlooks a public, pre security viewing/lounge area. There's a Starbucks there, if indeed we are speaking about the same area.
Perhaps.. my point is YYC has a nice two level public viewing area.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 10:05 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
thats what that elivator is for? i thought it was for offices

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 10:06 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Perhaps.. my point is YYC has a nice two level public viewing area.
no offence newflyer but calgarys terminal is boring

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 5:30 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
no offence newflyer but calgarys terminal is boring
I believe I said it wasn't great in my post.. I just like how you can look out and watch the planes.

Calgary's airport is very boring and cheesy. Whats up with the abnormally possed animals... and the cowboy greeters. Its kind of imbarrasing actually... I guess that is part of the city's branding..

My point was that I would love if Winnipeg's new terminal had a big glass wall to watch the action.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 3:08 PM
What could go wrong?

The majority of shops and services will be beyond security. There is a sort of "Town Square" feature where the majority will be located. The apron facing wall of the airport is mostly all glass so you will be able to see right through the airport and to the planes boarding. I have seen the construction plans and as far as i can tell there is no "current" provision for an observation deck. I believe they tried to provide for this but couldn't work it in within budget.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 4:48 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The majority of shops and services will be beyond security. There is a sort of "Town Square" feature where the majority will be located. The apron facing wall of the airport is mostly all glass so you will be able to see right through the airport and to the planes boarding. I have seen the construction plans and as far as i can tell there is no "current" provision for an observation deck. I believe they tried to provide for this but couldn't work it in within budget.
then they will probly work it into phase 2 or somthing

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Wasn't it closed for a long time and then they reopened it maybe 10 years ago? Or else they fixed it up. I remember it from when I was a kid although then there wasn't any "security"...anyone could go and wait with you at the gate and look out at the planes from what was then the general waiting area.
I was in the viewing area about 2 or 3 years ago and it was open. It was renovated prior to that(mid-late 1990's I think?). I remember my dad taking me there when I was a very young in the early 1980s. It was pretty run down at that time.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 3:54 AM

When is the new terminal at the airport begin construction?

Didn't it suppose to start already.

I've being trying to look for pictures, and the ones at the WAA website don't really help.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I check out the viewing gallery at our airport all the time, it's going to be strange not having it in the new terminal.

I thought the new building was supposed to be more transparent (i.e. more windows) and better integrated with the outside world?

I read somewhere that the architect wanted the new terminal to let in a lot of sunlight and to better reflect the big sky and openness of the prairies.
They said it's supposed to look like "the lantern of the prairies" - it's supposed to glow in the dark prairie night - I don't know if they're poets and screwing with us, or if this is real. Supposedly either the roof is made of partially transparent materials, or there's enough bubble holes in the roof to make the light go out.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 3:26 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

Quote:
I was in the viewing area about 2 or 3 years ago and it was open. It was renovated prior to that(mid-late 1990's I think?). I remember my dad taking me there when I was a very young in the early 1980s. It was pretty run down at that time.

i go to it every time i'm there.... grab a coffee and sit up there, much nicer than concourse

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 7:15 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Passenger and Cargo Traffic Way Up At Airport

JAN 30 2007 04:10 PM

The Winnipeg Airports Authority has reported the highest passengers boarded figure in its history.

CEO Barry Remple tells CJOB, the 3 million-387-thousand number for 2006 is all encompassing:

Revenues reached 60.4 million dollars for the year, an increase of 6.4 percent from the year before, due primarily to increases in passenger volumes and scheduled flights.

CJOB's Lorne Edwards reporting.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 9:09 PM

Maybe in 2009, when the new terminal opens, it'll have over 4 million passengers traffic a year.

Good figures for Winnipeg and the airport!!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 12:48 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenhead View Post
Maybe in 2009, when the new terminal opens, it'll have over 4 million passengers traffic a year.

Good figures for Winnipeg and the airport!!
What is the desired point where phase 2 will be built? I would love to see this whole area take off (no pun intended). I think a few more gates would really look good... I am also looking forward to seeing the hotel expand as well as the development of a business centre.

.... with the new airport development and the enhancement of the airport to downtown corridore Winnipeg will exude its confidence to all those who visit.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 12:56 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

it made 60 mill in a year? that after expences?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 2:28 PM

Trains to join planes at airport?

Rail cargo terminal an idea to consider

WPG Free Press Thu Feb 1 2007

Barry Rempel, president of WAA, sees Richardson Airport as a national hub for air, rail and road cargo.

WINNIPEG Airports Authority Inc. is considering an idea to build a rail cargo terminal on Richardson Airport's western fringe to create the country's first direct link of air and rail traffic.
Such a move would also be a step towards a larger goal of turning the airport -- and the city -- into a national hub for air, rail and road cargo, Barry Rempel, president and chief executive of WAA, the company that manages the airport, said this week.

Businesspeople interested in transferring cargo from planes to trains triggered the plan by approaching the airport last year. Now, airport officials are speaking with Canadian Pacific Railway, Rempel added.

The CPR Carberry line, the railway's main route to western Canada, runs past the airport's northern boundary. The CPR Glenboro line, a spur currently used to transport grain, splits from the Carberry line and runs south along the airport's western boundary before turning towards Portage la Prairie.

"Obviously, there's a lot of work that still has to happen, in terms of opening up the west side of the airport for rail development," Rempel told the Free Press. "The important piece is there have already been nibbles of interest in people looking to set up the kinds of business that would be appropriate for airport development because of the potential of that rail spur."

The presence of two important rail lines on its doorstep, gives the airport a competitive advantage over many others across the country, Rempel said.
"Most airports don't have the direct access to things like the CP main line for the transportation of goods and services because historically airports grew up a long way from anywhere that had those kinds of services," he added.

"In fact, historically it was all about where do you bring the road and rail together. (Before that), it was where do you bring water and rail together, then roads."

While many airports have been built far from other transportation routes, Richardson finds itself in the middle of a network of rail, truck and bus traffic, close to Winnipeg's major industrial area and relatively close to the downtown itself, Rempel said.

Last year, a company seeking to transport propellers used in wind-power turbines, approached Rempel to find out how to transfer the propellers from airplanes to trains.

His interest piqued, Rempel approached CPR about the possibility of building a facility that would answer such a need.

A CPR spokesman said the company didn't have a formal plan on which to comment but added CPR would remain open to further discussions.

Grown considerably Inter-modal cargo shipping has grown considerably in the last 20 years but few facilities have involved rail and air. One reason, said Barry Prentice, a member of the University of Manitoba's Transport Institute and a professor of Supply Chain Management, was the difference in how the two modes operate.

Most businesses use airplanes -- much like trucks or even buses -- to deliver goods quickly and on precise schedules, Prentice said. Trains, on the other hand, are valued for their size or for the large quantities of goods they can carry.

Still, joint air and rail cargo facilities have sprouted in the United States, Prentice said, because businesses prefer to have several shipping options near their offices. Facilities at Fort Worth, Tex. and Huntsville, Ala. have been two successful examples of such a combination.

Prentice welcomed the latest efforts to set up a similar facility at Richardson Airport.

"There's always been the notion of an inter-modal container shipping port to be set up there. So, any talk like that, as far as I'm concerned, that's good news," Prentice said.

And yet, Prentice and other observers said the challenges facing such a project were considerable.

The cost of a facility -- and who would cover it -- remain unanswered, Prentice said. Moreover, he said the railway was likely content with its Weston rail yards northeast of the airport and might not want to move many of its operations to a new site.

The land west of Richardson airport is also largely empty. Not only would any new project require the installation of essential services such as roads and sewers, it stands to involve not only the City of Winnipeg but also the Rural Municipality of Rosser, which abuts the airport, a point that troubled Winnipeg Coun. Bill Clement.

"That's not a simple thing to negotiate," said Clement, chairman of the city's public works committee. "The city doesn't typically provide sewer and water services to enhance development in a municipality." Rempel said a 2003 airport development plan was approved by the council of the time and more importantly was put on file by the civic bureaucracy.

The airport, which handled almost 3.4 million passengers in 2006 -- a record for its 44-year-old terminal -- recently completed construction of a new 1,559-spot parking garage, and has plans to build a new passenger terminal.

It is also in negotiations to bring Winnipeg's downtown bus station to a spot on the airport grounds.

Richardson also handled more than 150,000 tonnes of cargo last year and Rempel said the efforts to create a multi-mode hub are meant not only to grow that figure but to recapture the city's past eminence as a crossroads for transporting goods -- albeit in a 21st century way.

Businesses -- and jobs -- would be attracted to such a hub, Rempel maintained.

"This is all about recreating Manitoba as the centre of transportation and distribution for our country," he said. "We're in the middle of the country, we have all modes in close proximity to each other and we can make it happen."

joe.paraskevas@freepress.mb.ca

Going up, up, up

* A record 3.387 million passengers came through Richardson International Airport in 2006, up 4.8 per cent over 2005.

* Cargo volume increased 4.1 per cent in 2006, to more than 150,000 tonnes (not including December).

* A four-level, 1559-spot parking garage raised the airport's parking capacity to 3,800 spots.

* A new charter service to Cancun, Mexico began in late 2006 and existing carriers added services to Las Vegas, London, Ont. and Salt Lake City.

* Consolidated revenues were $15.1 million for the fourth quarter, an 8.5 per cent increase over the same period in 2005, WAA reported.

* Greater passenger volumes meant revenues for 2006 reached $60.4 million, an increase of 6.4 per cent over 2005.

* Revenues over expenses before interest, income taxes and amortization (EBITDA) increased $2.2 million to $28.3 million for 2006.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan